the willow submits to the wind and prospers

POSTED: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:24 am

227 Thread Prompt: Collect a resource to be used for later. Cour des Miracles could always use clay, wood, stone, and sea salt!

It was the sort of mindless task that suited his need for escapism, and by focusing on it alone he could work. When he trained that was work too, but this sort of thing he associated with his youth, and the hundred-thousand tasks that he had undergone to help here or there. The backbone of a place were these sort of people, though Linden's ambition had shifted dramatically since his youth.

He was on foot, and had with him the big palomino horse. For now, the latter of these two had been given the freedom to graze while Linden trailed through the thicker growth of the woodland.

Though he knew it well within their power to fell some of these great trees, his method of gathering was much the same as it had been in the wild. Dead branches, especially, made for useful finds. If he could find a small enough dead tree, well, that was a different story. He was looking for these, but had yet to find any.

Instead a modest pile of large branches had been collected nearer the road, alongside a section of hide of shapeless make. There was a smaller bundle under one of his arms, for in his practicality Linden saw the need for this kindling and feeder-wood. Smaller things had to go first, in order for greater fires to burn.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

POSTED: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:26 pm

He was Margave now. Pascal had come a long way.

Despite the efforts of a rather short and annoying girl, the young man walked the forest with a sense of pride in rank and place in the Court. Though still an apprentice in many ways, he contributed enough to be recognized, and that nurtured the sense of self worth in the misfit prince.

He did not smile, but Pascal was more than content. He did not hum or touch his face or tug his hair as he padded through the wooded regions of the Kingdom, only studied the landscape with sensitive ears twisting at every sound. Summer was a lean season for wolves, but he'd faith that he would be able to pull in enough. For now, in a form unsuited to hunt, he scouted for some trace of ungulate so he knew where to call others to hunt later.

He did not come across deer, but something else entirely.

Pascal froze in his tracks as his nostrils flared, greedily sucking in air, and he reached up to claw a fistful of hair from his face before chasing after the trail with steps brisk and stumbling. He did not halt until the end, where he stopped so abruptly that his upper body took a moment to heed the legs, and he struggled with imbalance a moment before blank, mismatched eyes fixed on his vanished friend.

He said nothing, could not find a word of enough weight on his tongue, but heavy breath announced him quickly enough.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:41 pm

On the subject of rank, Liden had many thoughts. He was wise enough to keep them to himself, by and large, and thought it fair he might have a misstep as a boy and chosen an incorrect path.

It was not wrong, of course. While he might no longer look to be a Knight, he was an absolutely efficient fighter. Linden lacked mass and height and an overall intimidating appearance, but it was for other reasons he had shifted his course.

A crashing noise from nearby (though it was less crashing and more clumsy) drew his attention, causing him to still. Though apparently unarmed, Linden's alert stance betrayed his tension even with his leathers on. The sticks under his arm would hardly do to defend him, but it was not an enemy he was now staring at.

It was a man, or a boy, or something between those. He looked as different as everyone else here—Linden supposed he must have looked different too—and was now (with or without the aid of his father's name) rising in the ranks.

You got taller, Linden commented mildly, and smiled to show he meant this.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

POSTED: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Pascal blinked even as the man turned to him and smiled. He did not quite look right—but the scent was mostly him. The one who'd looked soldier before he'd left looked even more like one—or perhaps a ranger, something of the wilds. It frightened him a moment. He tugged his hair and stared.

You got skinny, he said when he found his voice.

Cautious, the Sadira man approached his friend. He stepped over deadfall and stopped before him, still sniffing, still scanning him with staring eyes. He stared as if he might suddenly learn where Linden had been.

You've been gone a really long time.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:17 pm

He tried to remember all the little details, and found they were still there. In his own anxious overthinking of emotions Linden went over, and over, and over all of those scenarios. The longer he looked, the more he saw—and not simply of himself, though this was a becoming a concern more and more now that he was home.

Pascal wasn't the first to look at him like that.

My mother said that, he said in that same even tone, with that same smile on his face. It's summer, besides; we'll all be skinny, at least for a time.

He remained still long enough to decide, in his own mind, that Pascal surely had determined the reality of his existence. Linden did not leave him but resumed his task, approaching his still-growing pile of timber.

It's easy to lose track of the days when they're dark most of the time, the orange wolf offered, and more and more found his ever-changing story easier to repeat, easier to tell. But yes, it was a long time. Long enough.

A shadow crossed his face, fleeting, as it settled on the prince's necklace.

How have things been with you?

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

POSTED: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Pascal nodded at the other's words—easygoing words, comforting words, mundane. He did not recognize any purpose in directing away questions, but only forced one of his too-wide smiles and said, We'll need to hunt more. We can do it together sometime.

The Aatte approached a pile of wood and, recognizing his purpose, Pascal stepped forward and bent to take some of the twigs and deadfall, too. It was a mechanical task, the quintessential duty of laborer, but it fit the man—who was not simple, but suited for simple things. Still, he listened more than worked, small ears swiveling toward Linden as he spoke—revealing little, though it was enough for Pascal. He did not need detailed answers, or true answers at all, now that his friend had returned and seemed okay. Perhaps, if he were more perceptive, he would have pressed.

He straightened with a bundle of sticks under his arm. Good. I am Margave now. His grin came again, a little easier. I'm learning a lot. And I've got a collection of books going. I'm going to be the Court librarian. He was proud of this more than his rank, it showed, despite his lack of inflection.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:52 pm

The mismatched eyes marked him as strange, even before one noticed all those other little quirks—like the way his smile stretched, pulled apart from both ends, or how he tugged at his own hair—and had been part of Linden's early wariness. In a small Kingdom, it was hard not to hear of the King's Odd son.

Linden wasn't the sort of man who put weight in rumors until he felt them out in his own hands.

What he did quite well was listen, as he did now, with the attentive gaze and unwavering smile of someone who had learned how to do this. It did not look false or uneasy or uncomfortable; in truth, he looked like he had nothing better to do than to listen.

Margave, Linden repeated, like he was trying the word. He had little interest in such paths—his eyes were on roads less traveled. An important position; that's a lot of responsibility for a young man, he offered, seriously.

And Librarian, he went on, and here his voice peaked a little with true enthusiasm. I'd like to see your books, sometime. I suppose that means you and I will see more of each other, then, if we're going to be hunting and reading together now—I'm going to be a scout, for now.

There were loftier goals, but Linden was equal parts humble and prudent when it came to vocalizing these—meaning he by and large did not.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

POSTED: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Linden watched him and smiled, and Pascal wouldn't have known even if it had been uncomfortable or forced. His ears pressed down as the other pointed out the responsibility on his shoulders now, but he changed his posture so he could stand straighter. I think I can do it. Alder is above me, still. I am learning fast how to make things, and soon I'll be able to teach others, too. Whether they would accept the misfit prince as a teacher was yet to be seen—but he was practicing his candles, one thing he could at least call his own. The other things—repairing things, moving things, building things—they were simpler, needed less direction that he might be uncomfortable giving. I contribute, he said, because that was what was most important to him.

He rubbed at his mouth, though more a gesture of shyness now. Yes. I'd love to show you. Skoll and I went to the Halifax library and found several and added some of our own. A lot of them look very good. I tried to mend some. It did not go very well, but enough practice with the rabbit glue and ripped end pages and he might be able to save some of the older deteriorated tomes.

I thought you wanted to be a Knight, Pascal said next. But he did not dwell. I'm not a good enough talker to be a scout. He was very aware of his limitations and that he was not diplomatic or keen enough to tell if another was pulling wool over his eyes. Reminders from Skoll had taught him a little about jokes and teasing, but what went on behind another's face was barely concievable to him.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:23 pm

There was much to be said for the honest, if fumbling, sort of way in which Pascal carried himself. The idea of the young man acting as a teacher did not seem unreasonable—he had been well-focused and listened, and seen firsthand what sort of teaching methods worked better.

Oh, you talk plenty fine, Linden reassured the earthy-colored wolf. Just like I fight plenty fine. I just think I'll contribute more as a scout, he repeated the word, for it was a fair one to use.

Anytime, Pascal—maybe we can hunt, and if we have enough you and I can feast, he scratched at his lean stomach, but wagged his tail to show this was not a serious sort of thing. The idea was one that appealed to him, though—he had missed company, though he was loathe to admit it.

We'll need more firewood, though, if we're going to cook anything, he looked at the pile, and then back to the trees around them. Motioning for the younger man to join him, Linden returned to the trail he had been scouring before.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

POSTED: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Sorry for poop, didn't know what to add. D:

Pascal grinned. It did not feel right on his face, though the sentiment was strong in his chest, a laughter that would never reach his lips. Okay, I talk fine, but I don't listen well enough to know if someone's being nice to me or telling just lies. He eased off the subject of his limitations a moment later as he understood what Linden meant by his choice in path. He scratched his cheek and nodded absently in agreement and encouragement. We need scouts, he said. You'll be a very good one. I think you'd be good at anything you try to do, though.

He brightened, inwardly if not visibly, but energy buzzed through his limbs as he bobbed his head then shuffled after the other, bending to grab wood. It was an easy task and one he was made for. Strong if clumsy arms hoisted long sticks, and he stared at the back of Linden's head.

Did you see anything special, he asked, while you were away?

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

Dead Topics