the haze and roads forgotten

POSTED: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:09 pm

To escape the heat—and to cool her present temper—Farina abandoned her satchel at the shore, shrunk to the smallest her four-legged form would allow her, and ran headlong into the shallows of the Bay of Fundy.

It was not as if the heat was unbearable, for her dark, thick pelt trapped the noonday rays with considerable intensity; and it was not as if she had wandered from Vinátta for the sole purpose of swimming. No, Farina had traveled the length to the Outpost with bottles and other trinkets found in Amherst that she decided to be treasures because she could not identify. The man keeping the sheep at the Outpost, however, decided otherwise.

And, of course, once again her small stone sculptures had not earned her even a sympathetic look from the vendors. She was not an artist. She had never claimed to be, nor did she aspire to be talented as one. But, if just for once, one of the damn statues might look remotely like what it was supposed to resemble...

Farina did not adore the water as her younger sister did, but relished the cleansing waters, the slow extinguishing of her hurt feelings and fiery temper. She leapt at the fish daring enough to near the coastline, caught none, and returned to two-legged form as she strode back to the discarded satchel in the damp sand and dropped onto her ass beside it.

Less stressed she was, but no less discouraged. Farina pulled out the little stone bird she had carved and frowned at its wings. She had not done the angel in the Amherst church justice. A cheek in her hand, she twirled the shoddy statue before her eyes and sighed. Had the vin Haki really expected someone to like it enough to trade for it?

No, she realized. She hadn't.

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:41 pm

Sorry this is suck. 8D

Octavius wandered. He'd a bit of a temporary home with the nomadic camp, and he spent time hunting for the others and even staying up late nights as a sentry on the lookout for thieves threatening their stores of fish and their animals—but he did not see himself chained to them as he had been to Judas. He always came back after his long walks along the shoreline, but it was different, out of choice rather than single-minded duty.

He'd gained some additional weight since Halifax, now that others shared their food with him and he'd the strength and mind to hunt, and so the journey did not tire him as much as it could have. He passed the Outpost and thought of Gehenna and his return since leaving Jefferson, but did not dwell. He left heavy footprints in the sand that would be washed away come high tide, occasionally bending to pick up an interesting shell or twisted piece of driftwood. A few he kept, though he'd no bag to really carry them around in. He didn't care; he doubted he would keep them when he returned to the camp.

He plodded onward without thought until a shape ahead made him pause, his tail beating the air. Immediately, he jogged forward, sand crunching with each stride, a delighed grin stretching his mouth wide.

While he sometimes chatted with others at the camp, the normally extroverted male remained uncharacteristically shy and subdued, and so the thought of companionship led him to run onward—along with the longing to see Farina again, the one who'd pulled him out of his downward spiral in the first place. He slowed as he neared her, blowing air out his nose, and plopped down unceremoniously beside her without even a greeting.

He only leaned sideways to peer at the stone in hand, questioning, That a bird?

i’ve got a fever and a childish wish for snow

POSTED: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:04 pm

An ambivert was Farina vin Haki, varying between a need for socialization and a need for isolation seemingly at random—yet another result of her windswept personality, shifting with her moods. In that moment among the sands she desired no company and desired no loneliness. At that moment in time she did not quite know what she wanted in the least, and yet when the burly white Octavius appeared from gods-know-where and plopped his very large self down beside her, the grin that spread on her face was as grateful as it was genuine.

"It is. The man at the Outpost thought it was a broken tree branch." Farina turned her vaguely bird-shaped statue for him to take, cheek still in hand. "I tried to do the wings like that angel in the church. I told you I wasn't an artist."

She watched him a moment, quiet, smile unfading. After a beat she said, "You're not as skinny anymore. What are you doing here?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:17 pm

Farina grinned at him and offered the little carving, which Octavius swallowed with his palm. He opened his fingers and peered at the thing, able to see how it might look more like a broken branch than a creature capable of flight—but it had appendages like wings, a head, maybe a tail if he were generous. He grinned at the thing as if it were an actual masterpiece of carving and shrugged broad shoulders at her. I can see the bumps on it for feathers, he said, encouraging. Maybe if you get a really big rock then you can put more detail on it. Like, um, a boulder. I mean—

He coughed and shook his head before turning his hand upside down, closed, and waited for her to extend her hand so he could drop it into her palm. I was just walking and then I saw you, he answered, more like his usual daft self. I kind of fell in with this group of wanderers. They're nice enough, and it gives me something to do and people to talk to if I want to. He shrugged once more. But it's kind of quiet at the camp so I got bored. I thought I'd go around the beach and collect, um.

He opened his other hand, the shells—some pretty, others dirty-white, several broken. So I could collect, uh. He bounced them in his hand, brow furrowed as he stared at the fragmented objects. Uh, these things, he said, embarrassed at the gap where the word was.

POSTED: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:04 am

Seemingly genuinely impressed, Octavius took in every angle of the bird with intrigued intensity—a reaction Farina was not used to, and was not certain she believed to be real. She did not respond to his suggestions but nodded and smiled, and extended her hand when the ornament was offered back to her. "The bigger rocks take more time," she said eventually, "and they're too heavy to transport. I thought with enough of these smaller ones, someone would trade me for a sheep."

The look on her face confirmed otherwise.

"Shells. Seashells. For what?" A beat. "You're staying with wanderers?"

Loners, in other words. She stiffened, subtly more alert. Farina knew she could not attribute his scent to any pack she knew of, but had thus far given Octavius benefit of the doubt. The vin Haki straightened her back and sobered, but not all friendliness was lost. A batch of loners near Vináttan territory was more or less confirmed to her, and all internal Araedi alarms began to ring in tandem. "What are they doing? Where are they going? How many are there?"

Last edited by Farina vin Haki on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:05 pm

forgive my load of crap post ;_;

Octavius shrugged massive shoulders. I would help you roll it to the trading post, he offered. The boulder. He cracked a grin at his joke then shook his head. I dunno. Lots of people don't appreciate art. I mean, if you said it was, um, something to throw at people, or weigh down a tent flap, I think maybe they would like it better. His nose wrinkled up as he smiled.

Then frowned at the shells, which had found their name. Uhhh, stuff. Craft stuff, maybe. Bracelets. It was as much folly as carving rocks, he supposed, especially since his fingers were far too big to deftly link such small objects together. Fast skill-learner that he was, big hands got in the way. He didn't even know if anyone back at the camp would be able to make something other than pretty fragments and shapes out of them.

Red eyes lifted back to her nightsky ones as she straightened, and he grimaced again. Yes. Um, not doing anything, just hunting and fishing and kind of wandering around. West of here, by the rivers and lakes. Maybe—I don't know, I've met like four others around the camp.

He answered the questions without real thought, not seeing need to hide from her or press her for an explanation until he was finished—and even then, the giant only spoke to her mildly as he always had. Why? What's wrong?

POSTED: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 pm

"They should like it more if it's a weapon or a tool," she said flatly, watching the ornament turn with her fingers. "At least then it'd have a point. I don't even know why I make these stupid things. It's just something to do. I thought I could make people smile, but it doesn't work if they don't recognize it."

She tossed the carved stone back into her satchel with certain resentment and pouted through his explanation of seashell use. "See? Those are useful. Not my shit." Farina took a breath to shoo away the souring mood. "Anyway, thank you. You're being much kinder than I deserve."

News of the wanderers deferred good spirits further, and his explanation of their activities coaxed her anxieties but a small and insignificant measure. Hunting, fishing, "wandering around" — not the kidnapping nor face-carving types, and she could trust the white wolf's word. Pouting at the sea she hugged her knees and grunted, forcing down her shoulders from her cheeks where they had nestled from stress. "We've had some assholes creeping around our borders for a while. One of my friends got her face cut up, and another one got taken. We can't find her." And now Saul's gone too.

"What is wrong with people?" she said, perhaps to herself, perhaps to him. Her eyes, black like stormclouds, raged over the sea. "Why can't people out on their own be friendly like you?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:20 am

It made me smile, Octavius insisted, and split his mouth in a broad grin -- too heartfelt and cheesy to look artificial. He shrugged massive shoulders and bounced the shells up and down in his palm. Bracelets are useful? Maybe if you could put a hole in your stone, then the bracelet can be shells with a carving as the, um. He gestured to his own necklace as proof of concept, the heavy bear fang hanging proudly at his collarbone. It might be prettier than toting around a random stone.

Red eyes trailed worriedly over his companion then widened at her explanation. He reached to pat her shoulder with a large hand, a brief gesture of comfort and affection, but moments later thought of demons and retreated to his own darkness. I'll -- I'll keep an eye out for your friend. I'm sorry. So many allegations had been thrown against Judas -- would face-cutting and kidnapping fit?

Abruptly anxious, he stood and hesitated on his place on the shore, a moment later flipping his hand over to scatter the shells on the ground. This is dreadful talk -- let's do something. He stepped into the water then turned to face her, eyes narrow. How about -- uh, hey! If I kick your ass I get your carving, how's that sound? he challenged with a bark, spreading arms and hands to invite her as he bared white teeth.

POSTED: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:23 pm

She smiled to herself at his efforts, replying nothing at first. "Like a center ornament or something," Farina finished for him when he trailed off yet again. She was starting not to notice. "Yeah, maybe."

His hand fell with comfort on her shoulder, an even exchange for that she had offered him in the church when his own moods had bubbled from the pot. As Farina had suffered in the church, Octavius did not know what to offer her as comfort in words, and decided—mirroring her own actions a third time, whether he realized it—a distraction would do best.

Farina laughed. Maybe it was the irony, but he was growing on her.

"I can do with that." On her feet the vin Haki dusted free what sand had caught in her fur, rolled her shoulders and took poise. She did not wait for him to declare rules or a determined start—a challenge was a challenge, and she could use a stretch.

Launching at him like a black wall versus one bigger and whiter, she hooked a punch for his face, boyish grin catching shine of the sun as words parted in tandem with motion, "What do I get if I win?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Octavius grinned at her laughter, waiting calf-deep in gently rolling, cold waters. Distractions would not solve the world's problem -- but neither would dwelling on sorrow. He was glad to focus on something other than his troubles for once -- and Farina seemed to feel the same.

She approached and darted pale knuckles at his face. The tall man grunted and jerked backwards, upper body bending away, and aimed a swipe of his own hand at her ribcage if she stood near enough. What do, he asked, between eager pants as he circled around in the water, aiming to take advantage of their proximity with a few more punches before dancing away again, you want?

Dead Topics