take us back

Micah!

POSTED: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:11 am

O sinners lets go down
the river deep we pray

OOC: Early morning, archery stand near to the Riparian moors.

She came awake sharply, heart drumming, head pounding. Somewhere in a different room, far below where Agrippa herself lay on the small, hard cot, somebody had shifted in their own chambers.

A wave of irritation swept over the smallest de le Poer daughter. She was ill-used to sleeping in such close confines with other packmembers, and had trained herself (as all the siblings had, for it was life and death out beyond the pack borders) to come awake at the smallest sound. Whilst that had once been a necessary trait to survival on the road, when any approaching footsteps could have been the mercenaries of Scintilla come to punish the deserters, it was now a grievance greater than anything. Agrippa could not sleep surrounded by the living, beating hearts of so many strangers.

Tired but resolute, she rose before the sun and in the darkness padded out to retrieve her stallion from the stables. He was a neat, elegant animal, bred from exotic desert stock - A pure Akhal Teke, and along with his palomino mare companion, the most prized possession Agrippa owned. He was far from perfect, however, and possessed a nervous and skittish nature that caused him to shy and spook easily - A true handful for any rider. But the wildling girl had practically been born on the backs of horses, and beneath her small offwhite hands he was quiet as a lamb.

She rode without tack, preferring the natural connection of sinew and skin, her small but muscled thighs well adapted to the broad width of the horse's back. The only thing to bind her steed was a small length of red rope tied loosely about his long neck, and it was more for her to hold onto than anything else. The air was crisp and quiet, with dawn peeking blue and pink on the far horizon. With her bowstring settled neatly between small breasts and the soft leather quiver slung over one shoulder, Agrippa allowed herself to relax and soak in the morning serendipity.

It was not long before she reached her destination - An old archery stand on the corner of the moors, its wood sturdy but laced with green growth. For a few days now, the girl had been considering the possibilities of living in such a small dwelling. She steered the unnamed stallion in a slow circle about it now, considering again her options - It would need so many repairs to be made livable... And such a small space! Though small has never been a problem befo - The stallion tossed his head nervously and pranced, pulling Agrippa from her thoughts. Sharp amber eyes traced the path ahead, and saw the vague outline of another horse there.

Calming her own beast to sensibility, she rode closer, and noted the grievous scars on the flaxen animal's broad chestnut rump. Brows drew into a sharp frown that pinched her face. Who would dare leave their animal in such a state? The stallion, who had noticed the mounted girl's approach, kicked up his heels and headed down the path. Eager to check the animal over for any further wounds, and perhaps give his owner a good head-cracking, Rip clucked her own steed to a smooth trot and followed.

Agrippa de le Poer
the river deep; we pray

POSTED: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:36 am

With an unexplainable compulsion Micah straightened even the leaves budding from the broken pots until he approved the arrangement as artisically sound. Of course, his plants were not the strongest, not the tallest; a few sparse leaves and buds were all the sprouts had to offer, but Micah doted on them no less. He had worried they would not survive the migration from Cercatori d'Arte, but somewhat like himself, the sprouting greenery pushed on.

He thought of Marlowe, the odd coyote met among rainy rocks long before the ex-d'Artisan left his former home. Marlowe might have been interested in the plants' progress, might have shared a word or two on the fact. Rarely did Micah find common ground with others, and the thought of a comfortable topic of conversation both startled and intrigued him.

But as he rose to his feet and glanced across the expanse of the Riperian Moors, the Lykoi doubted Inferni would be the same case. What in common did he have with these wild coyotes? He was not to be confused as eager to swing a weapon by apprenticing to Kali; Micah hated to learn, but hated more his accumulating scars.

Almond sights paused with Bark in their focus, the stallion clearly fleeing a second steed and its rider in pursuit. Frantic, the coyote grabbed for his dagger—its point covered in dirt, temporarily used as a gardening tool—and tried to calm the bucking and snorting horse as he returned to camp.

Bark panicked at sight of a stranger and for good reason; the scars on the stallion's hind in the corner of his owner's eye, Micah crept forth clutching the knife, more panicked than the horse and equally harmless. "Stop, stop, please," he cried, absorbing the size of the woman—no bigger than Mistral for certain, but wild in appearance and clearly at odds. "Don't hurt him! Please, he's been through so much!"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:32 am

O sinners lets go down
the river deep we pray

OOC: ---

It was to her unimaginable surprise that a dark coyote came scuttling forth, brandishing a homely little dagger and a fearful, grimacing expression. Her stallion shied at the sudden arrival, skittering sideways and rearing tall. Agrippa moved with the animal, her motions fluid, her expression sharp as steel; And when the stallion's hooves touched back to the warm soil, she'd readied her bow with a notched arrow and aimed it at a point between the stranger's pretty brown eyes.

He was shouting something at her, and it took the girl a moment to recognize the sound as pleading. Confusion filtered through her survivalistic expression, though her bowhand remained steady, and her thighs were tense on the prancing stallion beneath her. "Best lower that blade, mista," Her voice was not loud, but flat and certain, and in being so it seemed louder than his own cries. "If ya don't, I'm gonna lower it for you," Her expression was guarded - They were still on Infernian territory, no? What then was the meaning of this ambush?

Narrow pupils flitted from the dark silver-flecked male to his horse, and back. "I weren't gon' hurt him, ya daft fool," She spat indignantly, outraged at the idea. Seeking her inner calm, the wildling girl took a deep breath and relaxed some of the tension in her bow-arm. "I was comin' to see who let that happen to 'im, and give them a good speakin' to," Her gaze narrowed on the young man, reassessing his dark coloring and the vibrant russet splash on the bridge of his muzzle.

Agrippa de le Poer
the river deep; we pray

POSTED: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am

She browsed a number of reactions, anger to visible confusion, and demanded of him to drop the blade. It shook increasingly within his clutch following the less than polite request, but the knife did not release. Instead his ears turned and tail began to tuck, unconscious mannerisms not approved by Kali. His tutor's stolid reminders not to let loose his guard under any circumstances rolled over and over in his mind, a visible struggle between training and panicked instinct occurring before the tawny rider and her bow.

But she admitted no harm intended for Bark, and though it might have been a smart quip to throw aside his defenses, the Lykoi submitted to it and eagerly. Given an excuse, the knife dropped at once from his hand and Micah disregarded her entirely, in one motion rushing to the side of his cousin's fretting horse and coaxing him with quaking tongue and fingers at his long snout.

When the horse eased after short length, Micah sunk into his shoulders and regarded her once more with certain shame. "Sp-sp-speak to me, then," he managed, staring at his toes. "What happened to him, it's, i-it's all my fault."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:34 am

O sinners lets go down
the river deep we pray

To a child reared at the behest of war, he certainly was an odd creature. By now, Agrippa was entirely unafraid of the dark pepper male; His hands trembled so violently she thought he might accidentally drop the blade through his own foot. Such vapid, intense fear that it was almost palpable - Her stallion, sensitive as he was, rolled his eyes nervously at the feel of it.

Agrippa felt an intense, sudden pity. She thought that she knew fear, but it was easy to see that Scintilla had torn it out of her, as it had with Kali and Lowe. This creature, he truly knew it, and what a terrible fate that was.

But with her words, he was quick to release his hold on the weapon and move swiftly to the side of his anxious steed. Her narrowed pupils tracked his movements, the hawkish amber lightened in some places to gold by curiosity and the remnants of irritation. Whatever his lacking, the dark male seemed to have some sort of connection with the horse, who quietened quickly under his dark palms.

When he turned his attentions back to her, Agrippa had re-slung her bow back over narrow shoulders, and slipped the arrow home into her leather quill. Her own nameless stallion was calmer, his velvet nose tentatively extended to catch the scent of the stranger. Her brows rose visibly as the male shrunk into himself - like prey, she thought, but I am not hunting him? - and the wavering, stuttering tones of his voice commanded her attentions.

The frown was quick to return, but not so fiercely as before, for she was of an understanding that no such coward could truly harm a beast in this way. Taking the initiative, the scrappy wildling girl dismounted smoothly, a fluid leap from the tall back of the Akhal Teke. She dusted her palms on her thighs, before crossing thin arms loosely under small breasts. "How 'bout you go on 'n tell me how, then?" Her voice was soft, but firm - She made no sudden movements, so as not to startle him like the desert hare he reminded her of.

Agrippa de le Poer
the river deep; we pray

POSTED: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm

micah pls

Despite her holstering of weapons and dampered threat Micah wished not to relive the events that brought about the stale scars on his arms and stole his teeth. He startled when she dismounted and met the ground and withdrew again thereafter, all in the fashion of a turtle partially seceded and deciding suddenly to retract what flesh was left showing.

A hand pressing the nose of his murdered cousin's horse as if he might absorb from it confidence, Micah cleared his throat to buy time and collect words. There was no ceremonious way to deliver them. "A, a stranger jumped me, back be-before I came here. He, he, he attacked Bark first, just because, I don't know—he just—he just walked by and turned and gashed him and that was it. I, I tried to stop him." He collected his arms, self-conscious, hiding the scars. "He got me after that, though."

Almond eyes matched the dirt where they were glued. "I-I-I came here to learn how to fight so it, so it wouldn't happen again. To either of us. Kali's, umm, Kali's been teaching me for, for a few months now, i-if you know her."

The Lykoi took to a pause, a long and hesitating one that took troubled effort to conclude. "I, I-I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to take him away, but—" he looked at her pleadingly, a panic starting, —but he belonged to my cousin, a-a-and, and, and I just couldn't bear to lose him, too."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:38 am

O sinners lets go down
the river deep we pray

OOC: yeah but ONE DAY

She was still, and quiet; Her eyes keenly observing, hawkish and sharp but not altogether unkind; She wanted the truth, and fear could be both barrier and fodder to such a thing. But more than that, this man - This quivering, quaking, stuttering man - was one of her kin now, a clanmate. She had professed to her siblings that Inferni would be the best place for them, and so it was her duty to know this man and his troubles, to see if they could one day be her own.

"Who attacked you?" She asked quietly, noting the way his arms folded over the scars as though to hide them. "A wolf?" Contempt roiled within her, but also the quiet fear that they had been followed. It would not have been beyond Boreas or Scintilla alike to cut apart a simple steed. Cruelty and warmongers ran hand in hand.

His latter words surprised her. "Kali? My sister's trainin' you?" The disbelief was well-founded - Kali had never taken on a pupil before, and even if she had, Agrippa could scarcely imagine her chaotic sister taking this sniveling coward as her ward. Sweet though he may be, sweet was not a trait Kali had ever found endearing. "It's a good thing she didn't see you just now then, with th' dagger. Kal's roughed me 'round for holding it more correctly th'n that before," The wildling's teeth glittered in a quick smile. Kali had been ruthless in training Rip with her dagger. She couldn't even fathom how ruthless her sister might be training this big rabbit.

His latter plead made her uncomfortable. The girl shrugged one shoulder roughly. "I won' take him none," She eyed the big horse carefully, looking for conformation and breeding, for strengths and flaws. He was a giant animal, and it wouldn't have surprised Rip if he'd the blood of good warhorses in him. "Y'know how to handle 'im, then? Big horse like that needs a firm hand. He'd make a good charger, if you're any good on 'is back," Her narrow pupils darted back to the salt and pepper male, lightly appraising him.

Agrippa de le Poer
the river deep; we pray

POSTED: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am

He flinched beneath wolf as if it were an arrow that whizzed past his ears. In the hollows of his mind the coyote pried open a door sworn shut and peered within, glanced a memory preferred sealed and suppressed, and stared long at the man grinning into the Lykoi's face as he reared back knuckles aimed for his jaw.

"N-No," Micah stammered, slamming shut the door before the fist connected. "No, not a wolf. Just, just, a dog maybe, I don't know. It's, it's in the past, it doesn't matter."

Agrippa called Kali sister, and unconsciously Micah held and arm and looked at his toes. He missed the de le Poer's glittering smile, absorbing her comment not as something encouraging but as a warning; the further flip of his ears evidenced it so. "I, I thought you were going to take Bark—Kali, she, she would have told me to, well, to do something about it if I wanted to protect him, and..."

He looked at the knife defeatedly and kicked it to the discarded satchel nearby. "I-I-I haven't really gotten any better. It's not her fault."

A charger? Micah glanced the stallion, who stared back him equally clueless. "What, umm, what do you mean?—err, if you don't mind me asking."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:42 am

O sinners lets go down
the river deep we pray

It seemed the mention of wolf had sent the peculiar man back into the paralysis of memory and fear. Agrippa regarded him with open curiosity now, her irritation and pity melted away by the sheer incredulity of the charcoal coyote. How could one creature hold within him so much terror? It surprised her that he didn't shake his bones right out of his own flesh.

"It does matter," Was the only retort she gave.

It seemed he had taken her comment about Kali to heart - Which, though she had intended it as jest, was probably for the best. Kali would not have been at all pleased by that display, and it seemed fair to warn him of her sister's wild temper (though, as her pupil, Rip assumed that the young man already knew about that. How could he not?).

She saw, too, the disheartened way that he kicked at the weapon, and wondered if she was seeing a man on the verge of giving up.

His question gave her the urge to roll her eyes - It seemed to the wildling that most folk, even the fearsome Infernians, were oblivious to the world of warfare. "A charger is a war-horse," She said the word slowly, drawing out the sounds till it sounded almost mocking. One small hand lifted to rub at the glossy neck of her own stallion, who had dropped his head to crop at the small plantgrowth beneath them. Her foxlike face glittered with pride. "Like mine, see? Trained for battle 'n such. If Kali's trainin' you up for fightin', why not train yer horse up too?" This time, when she looked at him, it was sideways through her blonde lashes, considering.

"I could help ya with that, y'know," She said, and then shrugged to show it didn't matter either way. "My name's Agrippa - Rip. De le Poer," The girl nodded at him politely.

Agrippa de le Poer
the river deep; we pray

POSTED: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:23 am

It does matter, she said, and Micah stared at his feet.

He didn't want it to. So often was he forced to voice his problems, and with each admission Micah was faced with types thinking justice the most appropriate option. Perhaps it was the Juniper Peace bred into him, but Micah wanted only to decide the memory concluded and complete and revisit it no longer. It did matter that he had been hurt unjustly. It didn't matter by whom or why, but that it had happened and he had started the measures to avoid its repetition.

But humble as he was, the Lykoi had not the tongue to voice such sentiment in a manner that somehow made sense. Especially not to an Infernian.

He stared at his feet through her explanation, through the tones of minor annoyance she started with and through the prideful tune it filled with next. What she said made sense, but—but to put the life of Bark on the line after contributing to the death of his former owner...

"N-No," he said suddenly. "No, I can't. I can't do that to him. He's, he's been through so much because of me, I can't—I can't do that to him."

The stallion, as if prompted, snorted and shook away the Lykoi's nightsky hands. Micah glanced dejectedly at him, turned with a frown to Agrippa upon receiving her name, then dropped the glance to his feet once more. De le Poer, he considered. Like Kali.

"I'm Micah," he said, suddenly embarrassed. "Umm, Lykoi. Your horse, it seems so—I-I mean, Bark doesn't really like me. If you, well, if you know how I can fix that..."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics