You can't reap what you don't sow

Micah

POSTED: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Despite living in the mansion since she had arrived in Inferni, Rose had yet to explore the grounds surrounding it. Becoming familiar with the borders had been her top priority and her infatuation with the Drifter Bay herds had kept her occupied the rest of the time. Today, though, she decided to explore what she saw out her window every morning. She had checked on the herds yesterday and they would not move far in one day, it would be easy enough to track them down again and there were plenty other canines who patrolled the borders. Taking a day to herself would not be detrimental to the rest of the clan and she sorely needed the rest.

Before she left she tidied what few things she kept in her room. A shell had fallen from the windowsill where she kept her small collection and had broken into two clean pieces, she put them both back up on the sill and then absently rearranged the collection. The shell that she had made into a necklace, the only remnant she had of her birthplace, was hanging from a nail in the window's frame. She removed it and placed it over her head. She grabbed the shell in her hand before it could rest against her sternum and squeezed it hard against her palm. With a deep breath she let go and then turned to look toward her bed.

Among the furs was a white ball, its body slowly rising and falling with its sleeping breaths. Rose poked the fluff ball in the side and it raised its head and blinked its brilliant blue eyes open. "I'm going to explore around the mansion today. Want to come?" Rose asked, smiling at the still sleepy cat. Cloud yawned, his pink tongue curling in between pointed teeth, before slowly uncurling from his sleeping position. "Okay." He agreed and then jumped down from the bed to follow after the already moving canine.

Rose pushed through the front door of the mansion and breathed in the summer air that met her on the threshold. It wasn't even noon and it was already hot. There were a few clouds, at least, but none close enough to the sun to provide any hope of relief from its heat. It was a good thing she had decided not to track the herds today. They wouldn't be doing much anyway, not in this heat, and sitting out in the sun would have been torture. Staying around the mansion was a much better plan.

With Cloud trailing behind her the duo circled the large central building, both pairs of eyes in constant motion as they took everything in. They followed the concrete path that wound its way through the wild gardens. The rich, flowery smell was overwhelming and Rose couldn't help but sneeze as she pushed past the plants that had grown too close to the path. It was a relief when they came to the back of the mansion where there was a small break in the wild flowers.

Instead of flowers, there was a building. She had only ever seen one purpose of this kind of structure so immediately she knew what it was. With a smile, she approached, curious about what was being grown within the greenhouse. Herbs, she imagined, and other useful plants. Without hesitation she opened the door and went inside, holding it long enough for Cloud to slip in next to her. Both cat and canine hesitated in the doorway, their eyes sweeping the room.

For the greenhouse thread prompt :)

+5

Rosaline Cross

POSTED: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Micah thought he might have heard a sneeze, but when eyes glanced none around him, the Lykoi smiled once more and sung hushed to himself once more, breaking between words and humming as he went about his greenhouse business.

It was by Vesper's recommendation that the former d'Artisan had took to the greenhouse outside the mansion where so many of his clanmates lived. To be in such proximity to them maintained a heartbeat so rapid and steady within him that the man might have confused watering plants for cardio. Regardless, it was a task, a responsibility to perform—and it was something he had some talent and took pleasure in, something useful, unlike his painting or singing. Such a structure like the tiny greenhouse Micah had never seen, but his inbred understanding of plants, thanks to Juniper Peace, did not leave him wondering the building's purpose.

"Take a little sunshine, take the time to breathe," he sang beneath his breath, tipping water between plants with a beat in his step. The Junipers had loved that melody. "Turn the rain up skyward, there's white clouds underneath."

Ear twitched at sound of a creak, and almond eyes peered between stalks at a foreign face in the doorway. Humiliated at once, his ears flipped. Best not to acknowledge his idiotic tune in the case she had not heard. "O-Oh, umm," he stammered, quiet at first, forcing confidence. "Umm, hello. Who are—? I-I'm Micah."

Eyes fell to the plants. "Umm, this isn't—I-I didn't steal someone else's job, did I?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:52 pm

The gentle rhythm of a song reached her ears as Rose and Cloud stepped through the doorway but she could not make out the words. The singing stopped and a moment later the singer became visible between the tall plants he was tending. Rose smiled easily and took a step into the greenhouse as he started to speak. His nervousness made her hesitate slightly but Cloud continued forward, weaving gracefully between the various plants without disturbing any of them. Rose watched him for a moment before looking back up to Micah. "Rose." She said warmly but fiddled with the seashell around her neck - his nervousness rubbing off on her. "I'm new." She provided, in case he thought she was a trespasser or something. It would explain his obvious unease but she doubted any trespasser would ever make it so far into the territory.

Her mismatched eyes followed his to the plants and suddenly she understood. He was worried that she was here to tend the plants and would be angry that he had taken her job. She might feel the same way if someone else had already been watching the Drifter Bay herds when she had joined. Was he new to the clan, like her, then? "No no." She shook her head, large ears flopping side to side with the motion. "I was just curious." She took a step closer as she spoke and then looked to the nearest plant. Her fingers gently brushed along its leaves as she continued to talk. "I'm much better with horses than with plants.." She laughed lightly at her own statement as the smooth leaves slipped from her fingers and she looked back to him. "Do you know much about them... the plants?" She probed, waving her hand vaguely to indicate the many different species growing in the greenhouse.

+3

Rosaline Cross

POSTED: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:16 am

With her introduction and rather nervous reception likely in reflection of his own, Micah decided the coyote of soft eyes and colors not a threat and made a visible effort to relax himself and smile. He had known Sparrow to be as benevolent as himself and Snapdragon more or less harmless, but since his induction into Inferni the man had met a majority of scarred and intimidating faces, guaranteed to be hostile if faced with a blathering idiot such as himself. He had thought the kinder folk were a rare minority; with the increasing days of membership Micah recognized them as a large but subtle presence, easily overshadowed by those more unconsciously concerned with maintaining frightful Inferni appearances to outsiders.

"Me too," he said, though far from disconnected and unfamiliar with the clan. She voiced herself just meandering through to glance the greenhouse and was more esteemed in four-legged beasts like Bark. "Oh, really? I, umm, I have a horse I took with me from my old pack after I got hurt—I-I mean, he got hurt too. I think the scratches are healing pretty well but, umm, I was thinking of asking someone look at him."

He fiddled with his fingers. Was that too early a request to make with someone no more than an acquaintance? "S-Sorry," he followed up. "I don't mean to be rude, it's just that he wasn't my horse before, and..."

Micah stopped himself and all doubtless continued embarrassment there. She mentioned the plants and, eager to change the subject, Micah bobbed his head and proceeded to give himself not enough credit. "Umm, I guess I know enough. The pack I grew up in were big about nature." A pause. "I'm not great at much else. Vesper encouraged me to get involved here."

The Lykoi weaved himself through the short aisles so as not to be rude, speaking through plants at a volume he did not ordinarily visit. Goodness, she was a pretty one. His grin opened wide at sight of the lovely white cat accompanying, and he knelt down and beckoned at it gently. "Hello there," he said, almond eyes glancing up to her again from the floor. "Were you looking for something? I don't know the greenhouse well or anything yet, but uhh, I can try to help."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:58 pm

She nodded when he admitted that he was new as well, making her guess an accurate one. In the next moment, though, her brow furrowed and her smile faded. It was disconcerting that he had been hurt but even more unsettling that his horse had also been injured. She wondered what had happened but did not think it appropriate to ask. He was nervous already and getting into the details of the incident would probably only heighten his anxiety. Even from her first impression of him Rose could tell that he was no an aggressor. If he and his horse had been attacked by another it would have been unprovoked. She shook her head minutely at the thought, her frown deepening before she replied. "Well, I'm not a healer... but I'll see what I can do." Even if that meant finding someone who knew more about healing that she did.

"It's no problem." She answered awkwardly, still feeding off his own awkwardness. "That's interesting." She replied after he explained about his pack. "Where I was born they do a lot of glass-making but I was never really into it." That was one of the reasons she had decided to leave. While there were other jobs in Leeds Point, the glasswork was the most important of them. Her family had expected her to take it up but she had wanted to pursue other things, like studying and working with horses. She was lucky to find Inferni; she could do what she wanted here, as long as she helped out with scouting or hunting every once in a while.

Mismatched eyes followed him as he weaved through the plants and toward her. The soft smile returned to her lips and her tail swayed behind her. When he reached them he bent down to say hi to Cloud. The cat looked wearily at the coyote for a beat before approaching. "Hello. He replied in perfect imitation of canine speech and rubbed his face against the gray coyote's fingers, purring softly. Rose looked down at them affectionately, though the look faded once Micah returned his eyes to her. She shook her head in reply but then stopped, her face lighting up with realization. "Aren't some plants used to treat wounds? You crush them up to get the juice outta them and then put them on the wound. That would help your horse's scratches." Any healers she had met used plants to treat just about everything. It seemed likely that Inferni would have the right kind of plants somewhere in the greenhouse.

+3

Rosaline Cross

POSTED: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:53 pm

"I'd appreciate it," he said, the wag of his tail confirming how the anxiety had started to slip.

He could read her lingering discomfort, however, no doubt manifested as a result of his own anxiety, and the man worked at once to quell it. An effort made to speak slowly and without stutters, Micah asked, "Where are you from?" He remembered a pair of reoccurring Junipers with a talent for glass-making in his youth, but knew neither the process nor the canines' names.

As if to allow her added time and space to breathe and dispel the stress absorbed from him, Micah lingered longer with the catch and grinned when it replied affectionately. Rose mentioned a healing plant; Micah nodded. "Aloe. There's some in that corner—I've been using it on Bark's scratches, but I wasn't sure if there was something more I could do."

Of course, that was because Micah tended to suffer through incidents or flee them entirely. Basic first aid he knew, but wounds worthy of longtime healing he worried for just as he worried anything (and everything) else in his daily life.

Like Sparrow, this woman was more gentle than norm and reputation of Inferni. It was a length of somewhat extraordinary circumstances that brought about his own membership, and so he asked, "Are you... happy here? In Inferni."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:28 am

Her tail wagged in response to his and with the gesture she started to feel more like her outgoing, bubbly self. As his anxiety diffused so did her awkwardness and when he asked about her home, she responded with enthusiasm. "Leeds Point. It's south from here, a long ways. I wouldn't be surprised if you've never heard of it. It's mostly coyotes there, like it is here, and we even lived in old human buildings - like the mansion but smaller. My whole family lives there, I'm even related to the pair that run the place. We're cousins or something like that..." She trailed off and her face fell slightly as she thought of the family that she had left behind.

But a moment later the sadness was gone from her eyes, replaced by an eagerness to learn as Micah pointed out which plant was used for healing wounds. She leaned to the side and stood on her tiptoes to get a better look at it but lost her balance, wobbled, and then returned to her original posture. She shook her head, both at herself and at what he said. "I don't know, either. I've never studied healing, though it would be a good thing to learn now that I'm working with the horses more. I'll ask around and see what I can find out." It was the most she could offer but the knowledge would help them both out if she could find someone who knew about such things.

His next question caught her off guard and she stared at him a moment, really thinking it over. She was a generally happy coyote but was she happy here? Inferni wasn't the kind of place she had imagined she would end up but nothing so far had really displeased her about it. But, she also hadn't met everyone in the clan or been here long enough to make any real judgements.

"I am." She said slowly after pausing to think. "I like working with the horses and everyone I've met has been kind. Though, I haven't really been here long enough to decide whether I really like it or not." She looked over the gentle coyote and furrowed her brow. Just like her he didn't seem to fit the warrior archtype that she had expected the majority of Inferni to follow. "Do you like it here?" She asked in return, wondering what he thought of Inferni's fight-oriented culture.

A million apologies for taking so long to reply D:

+3

Rosaline Cross

POSTED: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:34 am

Leeds Point—not a name he recognized. Smile persisted as he nodded along to her explanation, genuinely interested in the home that shaped one of his more kindly packmates and yet still led them to Inferni. "If your family is there, why are you here? I mean, umm—I'd be with mine, if I could."

Except that his sisters were untrackable, his father horrid, and his mother insistent on remaining in a pack with a shaky justice system that allowed murderers to run free.

He nodded with appreciation to her offer of help and busied himself a moment with the plants while Rosaline took the time to consider his unintentionally loaded inquiry. Micah was grateful to find himself not the only one uncertain as an Infernian. It meant the ghost that followed him did not control him; it meant he might have had a conscience not fully useless.

"I don't know," replied the Lykoi, downcast eyes avoiding hers and fingers pulling and straightening leaves for pointless aesthetic purpose. "I'm, umm, I'm grateful. There are many people here who have been kind to me. It's just..."

A shrug. "I don't know. I just, I hope things work out here. I miss my old pack, but I can't go back."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics