for if the one fails, the other may hold

[P; Micah; Forest of Nod]

POSTED: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:29 pm

304 Words

Cartier was working more and more with his training. He now had someone new that he aspired to be like. It had started out as Asher, the reason he had gotten involved in archery in the first place, but now it was Marlowe after he had seen the other in the heat of battle. He had never seen Asher actually fight and didn't know if the other actually could or not. He knew Marlowe could though and it was why he was now crushing on the larger male.

For now he was focused on his training. If he wanted to accomplish his goal of being a warrior, as well as living up to his rank, then he had to practice. It was actually polishing up on the skills required of his rank that he had headed out. He had brought all of his weapons out with him to practice with. The young male headed out deep into the forest so that he wasn't likely to put anyone else at risk as he was still lacking in the area of accuracy.

He placed down the pack with its various weapons in it on the ground hugging up to a tree and took to his bow and arrows, his most frequently used weapon. He really should have been practicing with the others and strengthen in those but he had chosen to start out in his comfort zone. He settled his quiver on his back and pulled out an arrow to notch it in his bow. He aimed at an old pillow that he had found and strung up from a tree to aim at. He wanted an easy way to retrieve his arrows since his supply was getting short and he had yet to learn how to make working arrows with which to replace them with.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci Mate to Jehan Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Nearing a month was Micah a member of Inferni. Over a month he had been divided from Cercatori d'Arte. Had so much time already passed? Had a thing changed within his heart since?

No. He had been like prey, hiding in a private sanctuary, resistant to visitors in the chance they were dangerous as the once-reputation of Inferni had boasted. Agrippa, at first a stranger, happened past hostile at first like so many were well-advised to be with the fool he was. Micah had been subjected to the temper of Kali. Skye had come and gone. It was as if nothing had changed, in truth, but the environment and the smells and the skin on his inner arms. At least the throbbing in the holes of his missing teeth had stopped.

Life went on; nothing changed. Micah remained in partial self-isolation, wary of his clanmates, unaccustomed to casual friendships over acquaintanceships forged out of pity. Near to his Moors home he found an archer in the forest and watched him a while, considering if he should approach, if he should subject the poor warrior to the idiocy that was Micah Lykoi.

He didn't want to, but would it not have been stranger to watch and leave with no exchange? Micah was already a freak; it was in his control to prevent himself from appearing even moreso. "Hello," he said as the two-legged granite coy crept in range, careful to make himself seen at distance to avoid an arrow through his own heart. "I, um, I don't believe we've met. I'm Micah Lykoi—I live near here."

I'm so fucking awkward, he thought. "You're, umm, you're very good."

"You're so fucking awkward," confirmed his sister's ghost, wherever she was in their midst, unheard and unseen by the fellow Infernian.

Lin
Luperci Gardener, Artist
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:33 pm

308 Words

Cartier notched and loosed one arrow after another. He was only shooting in a general direction with his sights set on no real target in general. He was merely going for speed than he was accuracy. Of course he would have to combine the two in time if he really wanted to achieve anything. For now he was simply seeing how quickly he could spray the area with his projectile weapons. He wanted to be proficient but unlike his mother he wasn't driven to absolute perfection.

The young male turned at the sound of the voice and quickly lowered his weapon when the other said that he lived within Inferni. "We haven't. I'm Cartier Inferni. I stay over in the Caverns with my sister Versace." The boy gave his on introduction and announced where he lived just in case the other should ever need that tidbit of information.

As he was called very good he looked confused for a moment before realization clicked. He glanced down at his bow and then looked back up at the other and grinned sheepishly. "Oh, this...?" He asked and held up his bow. "I was just messing around. I'm really not that good. I wasn't even aiming." He laughed off the compliment. "I can show you how to use it if you want." He held the bow out to the other in case he might desire to look at it or hold it. "I'm still just learning myself. I also have a sling, kestros, and kusarigama." He said and motioned to his pile of weapons that were waiting nearby and ready for use. "I got them from my mom when she died and so I'm learning to use them all. I get lessons on unarmed combat from Vesper as well."

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:16 am

He quivered when faced with the point of an arrow, but the bowman lowered his weapon and exchanged dialogue evenly once the introduction was made. Cartier and Versace: Two names of many to store in his mental archives, though the latter he had no face to attach.

"But you are good," appealed Micah, wringing his hands, trying to maintain his smile. "Better than I am, I mean. I've never used a bow before." He glanced the multiple other weapons mentioned without recognizing their names. "Or those either. Just a knife, kind of. And not very well."

Gently, as one would take the smallest babe from their mother, he took the offered bow and balanced it on open palms.

"Vesper is training you? She must be... tough to work with." Micah pictured the Centurion rough but understanding as a mentor, and easier still than his experiences with Kali. The mere though of his training sessions with the de le Poer shook a visible chill down his limbs.

"I'm—I'm sorry about your mother. My, umm, my own family aren't much for fighting."

Lin
Luperci Gardener, Artist
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 pm

502 Words

Cartier still shook off the compliment. "I want to be the best." It was perhaps a silly ambition. What did it actually meant to be the best? There was always someone with more skill and prowess. But still, it was something to work for. The young male would even settle for just being the best Inferni had for the time being. It was this high expectation for himself that pushed him to work harder and do more. It almost seemed like he had something to prove. And perhaps he did. He carried the name of Inferni and Inferni was known to be fierce warriors. His name was certainly a lot to live up to.

"Well, you are better at a knife than me." Using the same logic that Micah did then of course the other would be better since Cartier had never held a knife in his hand before. His mother hadn't had a knife and so he hadn't inherited one. Everything that he possessed had been inherited. The same went with his sister as well. All of her religious artifacts had been inherited from their mother's death as well.

He watched as the bow was gently taken from him. "She isn't bad. She always has some new lesson to teach me and she explains why she does what she does. She's been teaching me since before I could even shift." He had grown up under her sole tutelage in unarmed combat so he had nothing to really compare it to. He had simply always known her as a teacher.

"It's okay. She's been dead awhile. Sometimes I can barely remember what she was like. Vesper and Myrika took me and my sister in after she died." Even though he had lost his mother he hadn't really suffered for it. He had others to take right on over and had been raised right alongside the leaders's children. Even though they didn't share blood they had become family to him.

"You are holding it all wrong. Here, let me show you." Cartier moved so that he could slip up behind Micah and seek to place his arms around the other so that he could show the other exactly how to hold the bow. "You have to hold it straight up and down, not on its side." He said as he tried to guide Micah's hands to do as he instructed. "You want to put this hand here on the wood and and the other hand goes on the string." As he gave out his instructions he sought to lightly place his hand over each hand that he was talking about. Cartier had found it the easiest to learn by being shown and guided in how to do things properly and because of that it was the only way that he knew how to teach, to be hands on about it since that was how he had ended up learning.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:41 am

A noncommittal shrug was offered in response to the compliment on his knife ability, though Micah smiled humbly. Somewhere, he was quite certain, Kali de le Poer was suddenly very angry with him for reasons she neither knew nor cared about.

They who raised him came as a surprise, though the two women had reigned Inferni a long time to his basic knowledge. Perhaps Cartier's mother was an old friend. While Micah debated whether it could be interpreted as offensive to inquire the fact further, Cartier moved and straightened the bow in the Lykoi's awkward fingers. Of course Micah had known the bow was to be held straight up and proper, but the weapon might have been treasured and sentimental; he wanted only to hold it and see its detail, not break it with his inevitable clumsiness. What a a great start that would be to his new life as an Infernian.

But Micah followed his clanmate's instructions obediently, if only not to offend him. The Lykoi placed fingers on the string once, twice, and a third time each with a different and confused placement.

"I don't think I'd be dexterous enough for this," he said, trying to imagine pointing an arrowhead in the same fingers. "How do you hold the arrow?"

Lin
Luperci Gardener, Artist
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:37 pm

322 Words

Cartier wasn't bothered by his loss in the slightest. He generally didn't even view it as a loss. It was hard to miss something that he barely remembered ever having. Even when his mother was around she had kept very busy. His mother had always risen before the sun had and then returned after the sun had set. So even when his mother had been alive Cartier had never seen too much of her. He couldn't really remember that bothering him too much either. He had had the leader's children to keep himself busy with as he would play with them.

He smiled patiently as the other male continued to readjust his grip over and over again. He had done the same thing his first time with the bow as well. He had been awkward with it himself. It had taken him a good while to just get comfortable with holding the bow. Of course from there he went on to learning how to actually use it. "Good. Very good." He encouraged the other male when he finally seemed to settle on a way that felt comfortable to him.

"Oh, don't worry about that. The holding the arrow part is really easy." He grinned at the other male. Cartier reached into his quiver in order to pull out an arrow in order to show it to Micah. "See this part with the feathers? This is the end that goes against the string." He held out the arrow for Micah to end up inspecting it if he wished. "You just put the slit at the end against the string." At least that was how Cartier kept his arrow loaded within the bow when he was working with it. The young male found that system to be really easy. Of course the hard part came when you tried to aim, at least it was for him.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:04 pm

There spanned a long pause between Cartier's next instruction and Micah's follow-through, during which the granite coyote stared between the bow in his hand and the arrow the Cartier offered. Plagued by anxiety of failure Micah bit his tongue and took the arrow, tried to make sense of it, and attempted to place it where directed.

More than once the arrow toppled out of his hand or the string twanged with nothing to show for it. Slowly but surely the ears of Micah flipped and flattened against the mess of white-streaked curls, behind which the coyote tried to hide his eyes from humiliation.

"I-I-I'm going to break it," Micah stammered at the end of it, defeated and embarrassed as he tried to hand the unsuccessful weapon back to its owner. "Sorry, I, I just— Maybe, umm, m-maybe it's better that I practice on one not, not so precious to someone."

Attempting to smile through the nerves (and failing miserably), he added, "I, I wouldn't mind just watching you shoot it—umm, I mean, i-i-if that's all right. You don't have to."

Lin
Luperci Gardener, Artist
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:41 am

338 Words

Cartier watched Micah fumble around with the arrow. He couldn't think of anyone that didn't start out that way as well. It took a lot of practice just to get used to holding and nocking the arrow before one even learned to shoot it. Or at least it had been that way for him as well. More than once he had tried to shoot it with unsatisfactory results. Generally the arrow had fallen to land by his feet. But he had been working with the bow just as soon as he could finally shift. It was probably this early training that had allowed him to get to where he was with it now.

He took the bow back when it was handed to him once more. "It is harder than it looks." Whether he was talking about the bow itself or the act of actually trying to shoot it was left up to interpretation. It worked for either option really. His bow had turned out much hardier than he had expected it to end up being. And he also didn't believe it would have been as difficult to shoot it as it had been when he was first starting out. It looked so much simpler when someone else did it.

"Alright, I don't mind showing you." Cartier smiled and fit an arrow against the string. He raised the bow from where he had it pointed at the ground. He took his time to line up his sight before releasing the arrow and watching it hit within a foot of where he was actually trying to hit. "See, I'm still not all that good at it myself." He admitted with a grin. "I have trouble hitting my target a lot of the time still but I can get close to it." Of course close wouldn't really matter when hunting or when it battle but it was fine within the confines of practice, or at least that was Cartier's take on it.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:09 am

Put at ease when assured the bow was harder than it appeared, Micah powered through anxieties to scrounge together a smile for Cartier, one that lasted as the younger Infernian arranged himself and his weapon accordingly and demonstrated its use. Despite much focus on the fingerwork about the string and arrow Micah still did not fully understand. He thought the frustration a legitimate response; he was not the worst with his hands as far as crafting and painting went, and yet when given a weapon his fingers were doughy and inept.

"Thanks," said Micah, humbled and genuinely grateful to witness the harmless talents of another in their natural habitat. Inferni filled itself with warriors just as Cercatori d'Arte had done in its final days—yet why was it Micah felt more at ease among them than among the artists? was it because Kali was among the fire-clan ranks as well?

"So, um," he shrugged, leaning his back against a tree to allow Cartier the space to continue his practice, "do you only use it for hunting, or...?"

Lin
Luperci Gardener, Artist
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics