i sing a ragged and crooked song

POSTED: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:44 am

--

See galleries for credit.

Gehenna had been working in the stables. He hadn't been doing any serious cleaning like actually mucking out stables -- but he had brushed and exercised his horse, at least. He didn't attend to his animal as carefully as Myrika might have liked, but he certainly was not neglectful. Placid as Cahal was, he was still a stallion, and so Gehenna had needed to walk him about the gardens several times for exercise. It had been on the last lap he'd smelled something. It had stopped him dead in his tracks, though the big bay hadn't seemed to care one bit about the scent.

The lanky hybrid had walked more stiffly to complete the lap, settling Cahal into his stall quietly and without much affection. The hybrid crept into the main mansion on his tiptoes, where the smell grew stronger and stronger. There was an old stove that burned wood in the kitchen -- it still worked, and it seemed today it was cranking. Gehenna sniffed, tilting his muzzle back and licking his lips. Though he was two-legged, he was practically crouching over one of the ratty couches in the main atrium as he peered down the hallway. He ducked back with a hand over his mouth as he watched Maddox shuffle past.

Hey! You boy! Don't come in here eatin' none of these yet. Not for you! Gonna get one later. Maybe. The golden-hued coyote did not tower over Gehenna normally, but with his crouching down and her standing tall, it was so now. Without another word, the woman went back to her cooking. Gehenna, shocked and dismayed, went for the porch and sat. Torturous as it was, he could not bring himself to leave the vicinity of that wonderous scent.

Gehenna Asylum
  • Plots open for IF (and beyond~): doomed romances and heartbreak and flings, oh my~
Inferni
Civilis (NPC)
Sie
Luperci Bannerman Chaos Star

POSTED: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:12 pm

300+ OOC — nix

It was impossible to doze today. The mansion made her home for the most part, but she roved occasionally and since she spent so much time with the new horses, she found herself sleeping other places but since it had calmed down she was content once more to sleep in the mansion. Though, the rickety old building had its own set backs. Every so often, delicious smells seemed to waft through the door and drive her mad. Her mouth would water and her stomach growl.

Snap could hardly take it and one day was as hard as the next. Rising from her bed, she fixed the invisible scents with a hard, sanguine stare and pressed the door open. The smell was even more delicious out here and with stiff composure, she sidled down the stares trying not to look so eagerly at the kitchen. Maddox made that area a fortress and she wasn't about to let anyone in to take part in her delicious treats.

Casting a somber glance towards the kitchen, she side through the main door seeing that she was not alone in her desire. Gehenna sat on the porch, looking put out and absolutely tortured. She had never felt such empathy. With a soft grunt, she sat next to him and slouched forward, resting her elbows on her knees.

Turning slightly, she asked, Are you a victim of Maddox's cooking? Even out here the smell was tantalizing, yet so unreachable. I reckon we could do something about it. They were clever and quick, no reason for them to go hungry on the porch and be subject to such wonderful torture. Maddox would have to share at some point and Snap saw no issue with accelerating the process a little bit. A Clan was a hungry place.

Snapdragon Lykoi

a spontaneous fire

a sharpened briar

a bitter sense to me

Snapdragon

Inferni
Bellum III (NPC)
Owl
Luperci Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes Chaos Star
lady of mischief

POSTED: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:54 pm

--

He knew how good the pies would be. He'd had them before... only, he'd never had them quite so fresh. Sure, you could heat them up over a fire -- but that was so much work. The tawny-hued Borzoi was certain they'd be better fresh out of the oven, either way. They even smelled different from when you heated them over a fire. Gehenna's mouth was watering and he was as hungry as he'd ever been, but he dared not enter and face Maddox's wrath. She'd never give him one, not until she saw fit to dole them out.

Maybe they weren't even meant for him. Gehenna imagined Maddox driving the horse-wagon over Inferni's flatlands to the Great Village. The back of the wagon was overflowing with pies, but every time he went to grab one of the fallen ones, a huge raven came up and snatched it away. When Maddox got to the village, she emptied the whole wagon out for Myrika -- and the Aquila, her mate, their children, and Kaena gorged themselves on the pies, laughing. All the while, Gehenna stood in the window, skin and bones and sunken eyes. He withered by the moment.

Just when he thought he'd die in the daydream and in reality -- his stomach growled tremendously -- the creaking of the door caught his attention. He looked up and found Snapdragon similarly afflicted. The hybrid slumped beside him. Gehenna nodded miserably, but stopped and perked up when she suggested a plan. What do you think? he said, too hungry to think himself, but definitely still motivated to eat.

Gehenna Asylum
  • Plots open for IF (and beyond~): doomed romances and heartbreak and flings, oh my~
Inferni
Civilis (NPC)
Sie

POSTED: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:20 am

300+ OOC — nix

Snap had many times smelled the aromas of Maddox's cooking. It was a torture, even if a sweet one. She didn't want to waste any more of her life languishing, so it was time to act. The cook was fierce, strict, and kept things to herself until she dictated that they changed. Myrika and Vesper may lead the Clan, but Snap definitely considered Maddox the queen of the kitchen. The coyote was just glad that she could rely on raw meat when she couldn't snatch anything tastier from the kitchens.

She sat down next to the borzoi. They'd had their fair share of adventure, they had faced Kaena and that seemed like feat enough. If they could do that, Maddox seemed like no more than a tame kitten. But, she was a smart thing and not about the give up pies so easily.

The Lykoi thought for a moment, resting her thin muzzle on her hands. They'd have to do their best to outsmart her. Snap was positive that they were not the first that tried to trick her into giving up treats. I haven't seen her today, I suppose I could lead her away with some concern and you could run in there and grab a few. Snap thought about the potential issues.

The pies were bound to be hot, fresh and flaky from the oven. Or Maddox could see through her ruse or there could be another in the kitchen that Maddox trusted more than the pair of them. Maddox is wily, and that's that, might as well start with that unless you've got a better idea?

They could go back to the drawing board if necessary. There were plenty of canines mulling around, suffering from the smells from the kitchen but Snap didn't want to involve more than need be, or they would get less pie.

Snapdragon Lykoi

a spontaneous fire

a sharpened briar

a bitter sense to me

Snapdragon

Inferni
Bellum III (NPC)
Owl
lady of mischief

POSTED: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 am

--

Gehenna thought about it, but in truth -- he wasn't very much good at thinking when he was so hungry. About the only thing on his mind was food -- and he knew just what he wanted. The hybrid grinned at Snapdragon and nodded. I'm gonna go into the garage. I'll stay there a couple minutes. Till I know it's safe. There wasn't any way for them to signal to one another without also arousing Maddox's suspicions -- and Gehenna did not like the idea of being chased down by a stocky coyote wielding a wooden spoon. It would have to do, though.

Give me five minutes, the hybrid said. Then you go in, and I'll give you ten. Do you think you could get her to go out the back? I'll run out the front if I gotta. Jump off the second floor porch if I gotta. He was determined to have those pies. Let's meet -- by the caves? I think we can beat her there. Hide out in one of the empty ones, and eat. Gehenna stood, awaiting any final instruction from the blonde-haired coyote. He was eager to get started -- the sooner they enacted their ploy, the faster they'd be eating those tantalizing pies.

Gehenna Asylum
Inferni
Civilis (NPC)
Sie

POSTED: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:41 pm

300+ OOC — nix

The coyote listened to Gehenna's plans and nodded after each step. It would be complicated, no doubt. It relied a lot on what they could do and the speed of thier legs in the end. She was no fool and sometimes it seemed that she had sixth sense when it came to her pies. Snap knew that she would have to bring out the best actress out of herself and really lay it on. It was crucial to their mission that she be able to do it. "I got it, let's get this show on the road." Her voice dropped a hiss and she went back towards the door and looked back at him. She hoped that it worked, being hit by Maddox was like being struck by an angry ram.

She waited for the allotted minutes, feeling like the world was going too slow. Then, without further hesitation, she took a deep breath and walked back into the mansion. Instantly, the smells of the pies engulfed her and she could have gone weak at the knees. Snap knew that she couldn't wait and rushed forward into the kitchen, putting n a show of being winded and panicked. "Maddox!" She exclaimed, "There's something wrong and I really need your help! Follow me!"

The cook hardly had a moment to respond as the lithe coyote swiveled through the kitchen and pointed to the door leading to the stables. Snap ushered the unfettered cook to follow. "Now, what is this nonsense?" The cook demanded, looking incredulously at her. "Slow down and explain yourself!"

Snap didn't miss a beat and almost wailed to the high heavens. "There's no bloody time to explain! It's extremely serious!" The coyote felt in her heart that she was destined to be an actress if she hadn't been so interested in plants and horses. Though, she had many years to feel out her acting career. "Please, hurry!" Her voice cracked dramatically and she pushed the door open. Reluctantly, the cook followed her.

Snapdragon Lykoi

a spontaneous fire

a sharpened briar

a bitter sense to me

Snapdragon

Inferni
Bellum III (NPC)
Owl
lady of mischief

POSTED: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:00 am

--

If there was one thing Gehenna was good at, it was running. He was better in his four-legged form, of course, but even in Optime, he had a long stride and he knew how to run. Snapdragon might get caught if she wasn't fast enough... but Gehenna knew he'd be able to get away, at least. He nodded his understanding at Snapdragon and grinned, watching her head inside. He crept forward when he heard coyotes inside.

When the voices were gone, the hybrid stole through the front door and crept down the hallway. He entered the kitchen quietly and grabbed up a pair of pies -- and nearly dropped one, as it was steaming hot. He stifled a yip -- and looked up. A stunned Molcaxitl watched him, wide eyed. Gehenna, who was shaking his hand from the burn pain, stopped the movement and gazed at her dumbly a minute. Uhhh, he said, still staring.

He snatched a second pie and about-faced. This one was at least cooled enough that he could grasp it. Gehenna darted out of the kitchen and the hall, bumping open the front door with a hip. He galloped across the garden full speed, headed for the main gate. It had never occurred to him that someone else might be in the kitchen -- but he was well and truly caught now, anyway. Might as well enjoy the prize. His stride lengthened as he departed the D'Neville's gardens and headed for the caves.

Gehenna Asylum
Inferni
Civilis (NPC)
Sie

POSTED: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:40 am

300+ OOC — nix

Once she had gotten Maddox out of the kitchen, she had been rather unsure of what to do with her exactly. She led her out into the back of the mansion and gestured towards the pure blue skies futilely. There was nothing to see other than blue and a few scraggly bushes and trees quite a ways out. Maddox leveled her with a severe look.

"What's it you wanted me to see again?" She questioned dryly, looked around the general area with an utter lack of amusement on her face. The cook was a fearsome thing when she was growing angry. Snap was ready to head out the moment she saw the mood changing.

Snap struggled for words, her skill in acting vanishing in a moment. "Uh, er, well, I really wanted to show you what a wonderful day it was and just how gorgeous the sky way." It was a terrible response and she knew it. Maddox hated being interrupted and Snap also knew it. Watching the coyote, she could practically see her puffing up like a big bull frog. That was it, she didn't care if Gehenna hadn't had enough time but it was time to get going.

"Well! I better get going! I shan't interrupt an excellent cook any longer!" It hadn't been more than few minutes she had stalled the cook when she started running. She wished that she had her fleet footed four legged form just about now but she was stuck until she get to safer ground. When she had bolted, she had heard the cook yelling behind her about mischief and lack of guile and honor and things like such. Snap just really hoped that the pie or hopefully, pies Gehenna had got were worth the struggle and loss of face.

Snapdragon Lykoi

a spontaneous fire

a sharpened briar

a bitter sense to me

Snapdragon

Inferni
Bellum III (NPC)
Owl
lady of mischief

POSTED: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm

--

Gehenna had a pie in each hand, his thumb digging into the metal so he didn't drop them. They smelled absolutely delicious, but he didn't dare stop to enjoy them until he was in the caves. If he started now -- or dropped the pies -- he'd have Snapdragon angry with him. Maddox and Molcaxitl were enough to worry about. The hybrid ran quickly, but carefully. He held both of the pies gingerly, as if they were newborn children to be cradled. He watched where he was going, too -- it was tough keeping his eyes on the road ahead, holding the pies, and running -- so he wasn't nearly as fast as he might have been. But it was fast enough.

He slowed to a trot when he entered the caves, panting softly. Gehenna's red eyes swept his surroundings, wondering if Snapdragon had beaten him here. Her scent was old and faded, though. He ducked into one of the caves after sniffing around its entrance to ascertain it didn't belong to anyone. A persistent drip and a small puddle in the rear of the cave confirmed his suspicions. The hybrid set the second pie on a rock across from him, and knelt down to his. He panted over it a moment, catching his breath so he could really enjoy eating it. Although it had lost some heat in the run, it was still sufficiently warm, and it still smelled delicious.

Gehenna Asylum
Inferni
Civilis (NPC)
Sie

POSTED: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

000+ OOC — nix

Snapdragon was glad to be away and running. The fuming of the cook would be enough for her to keep out of her way for a couple weeks, no doubt she wouldn't get any special favors after this. She was happy at the prospect of pie. It wasn't often that she made pies and even though a few had conveniently gone missing, there were plenty more. It didn't seem right that the grand majority didn't get to sneak a nibble now and then.

The coyote continued running for some time, slowing to catch her breath when the caves were in sight. She hoped Gehenna was inside, she had no idea whether or not he had been caught in the act of stealing. Another worry was if the cook had sent a loyal few to go hunt them down. Scanning the horizon over her shoulder, she didn't see anyone in pursuit and entered the cave.

She was welcomed by a plume of warm scents from a pair of pies. A grin divided her face as she looked at Gehenna appreciatively. She jogged over and planted a happy punch to his arm. He'd done it! "Excellent job, Gehenna." She murmured, belly rumbling already. "I couldn't have done it without you." Too eager to wait, she grabbed one of the pies and even though it was still a little hot to the touch, she dug right into it. Midst her chewing, she looked up at him, "Where you met with any trouble?" Clearly nothing had gone horribly wrong but it looked more worried than he should having just won two pies.

Snapdragon Lykoi

a spontaneous fire

a sharpened briar

a bitter sense to me

Snapdragon

Inferni
Bellum III (NPC)
Owl
lady of mischief

Dead Topics