that season came in quiet with the rain

POSTED: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:41 am

Farina. please let me know if anything needs changing.

The young woman had left her mothers' house reluctantly, but the crowd was getting to her nerves. The large forms of her brothers were lumbering in the small house and they needed to take turns inside the fur lined doorway. Their gray mother would regain strength and perhaps ability in her arm, and she would survive.

The image of Mother Anu laying among the furs, some brought from the homes of her siblings, made her seem frail and powerless. Andira never thought her mothers as such, despite their age. Though thin, though silver tipped, she was always solid in her nature and calm in her words. She was never feeble but always graceful.

Pushed out by her mother's soft words and her brothers' towering presence she was reminded that she had a task to complete and responsibilities to fill.

Her bow lay on her back beside her quiver, the weight comforting and familiar. The trails towards the borders giving her a similar feeling of home, just as much as her small house in Jordheim. It wasn't until she caught the scent the vin Haki that Andira was startled out of her daze and reminded of her debt to the dark woman and her gratitude. Without hesitation she turned down to trail after Farina's scent.

Paws climbed the elevation as she met it, knowing the place where the black eyed woman's scent was leading her. The hill was topped with a rocky outcrop that over looked a clear shallow valley. It was a hideaway, a hunter's perch for true prey or lazy wanderings along the borders of their homeland. Farina? Andira called out, searching for the other female but also wishing to give away her approach.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:08 pm

She was not motivated to scout. She was not motivated to train with Niruin, either, but it was the more reasonable option. Vinátta was quiet of late, yet still the mind of one vin Haki middle child was troubled and distracted for a variety of reasons.

She thought of the borderlines, how unsafe their tranquil, non-discriminatory pack was despite keeping to themselves. At most they trifled with pieces of New Dawn with gratitude to proximity, but it was not New Dawn that caused trouble. It was not a New Dawn member that cut up members or kidnapped them or trespassed. Or attacked the elders, like Anu. They were loners or they were foreigners and Farina did not understand the motivations of a single one.

She had looser tendencies than most vikings in her midst, and yet—and yet never could she imagine herself inclined to trifle with a booming pack quiet in power. Farina filled her mind instead with thoughts of Octavius and refocused on carving into the tiny stone ornament with rusted tools taken from her den in a satchel.

Allowing Niruin time to rest between training sessions, she settled in a hideaway space, her mood not soured but resisting conversation. It found her anyway.

"Andi?" The Rikr did not stand but twisted, fingers greyed with stone dust pausing with the fist-sized stone between. Her tail started a sway against the dirt. "Over here," she said, watching the Coeur approach. "Hey. How's your mother?"

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:29 am

She inhaled. Sighing as she made her way to the side of her fellow guardian. Sitting Andira felt small compared to the dark woman, but not in a way that caused her to feel insignificant. She had spent enough time working with the other girl to feel comfortable in Farina’s presence. Even in training the Araedi Ríkr did not make Andira feel lesser or inadequate.

Andi nodded, looking out onto the landscape as she replied. She is doing well. Ascher made her comfortable. It was not entirely true, and perhaps that was why she didn’t looking at her friend’s face as she spoke. Anu was still in pain, and at times she wondered if her mother was still frightened by the coyote that had attacked her.

How she wished she had been there. The details she held were minimal, and the girl hadn’t the stomach to question her mother a second and a third time about the male who hurt her. Not yet at least.

The merle female knew that their Sannindi was fast but no wolf or horse or winged beast compared to an arrow. Denim eyes looked at Farina, She said you found her, and brought her home. A breath, Thank you. Her words were sincere, though holding back to keep her emotion from dripped down all over them. It would still be too much to show, even to a friend.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Difficult as it was for one like Farina to clue into the emotions of others, Andira consciously or unconsciously made her own obvious. It was to be expected; her mother had suffered tragedy. Certain death, even, had Farina and her sister not happened past or possessed the power to fend off the opposing coyote. Andira settled herself comfortable in the Ríkr's midst, yet resisted a connection of the eyes until earnest words of gratitude came forth.

"Sure," said Farina, blinking. What had been done she thought little of—defending Anu was not only expected of her as an Araedi, but so too was it expected of her as a Vináttan. As a personal friend to the elder herself. "I mean, no need to thank me. I did what anyone would have."

Embracing a moment's silence in which the vin Haki patiently averted her eyes and set aside the beginnings of the coon whittled from stone. Leaning on her knees Farina gazed out at the viking expanse beneath daylight and scrounged together an attempt to understand what it was she was witnessing. Andira's mother was safe and would recover. Outside the unnamed coyote, what was there left to fret about?

"You're taking it kind of hard," she said, "aren't you?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:45 pm

She made it awkward.

Andira could certainly be awkward at times. Trying to find the words to say, trying to know what not to say and how to say it. As hard as she might try to keep her emotions in check and hidden away she knew that she wasn't always successful.

It wasn't that she thought Farina had done something beyond the spectrum of the dark female's capabilities. Or beyond what any one would have. It was that it was her -mother-. The gentle souls that the merle girl believed she couldn't live without. She couldn't live without either of her parents. But in her eyes Anu was more delicate that Tayui, who had held the guardian rank at a time.

She was grateful that Anu was alive. The expression was not forced but perhaps it had tumbled out of her oddly. About as gracefully as it was received. With Farina's question Andi's mouth formed a thin line, though not yet frowning. She regretted the situation she had put herself in. Because apparently it it hadn't been necessary.

Her blue eyes didn't look at the Rikr, unsure of how to take the question. I love my mother. I don't want to see her hurt. She justified, unsure and wondering how Farina would feel if it had been Colibri. But they each had their own feelings, and so she didn't reach out and ask. Should she be tougher? She will be fine. And so is the one that hurt her. she paused. He's fine too. And that wasn't entirely fair. He deserved worse.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 am

Farina, a creature simultaneously grounded and free-floating, did not recognize an awkward situation. If she was not face-down in the dirt as result of failure in combat, the vin Haki was not embarrassed. A certain level of ignorance resisted humiliation just as it resisted the recognition of something awkward. It was not that Farina was above such things. She was only, perhaps, lacking the self-awareness necessary.

And so what Andira found to be awkward, Farina found a peculiar silence in which she must have been expected to say something. She fidded with straw-tipped, dusty fingers.

"I get it." Andira felt the way Farina should have concerning her own mother. The vin Haki would not see the elder Soul harmed, but there existed a resentment in the center of their relationship not easily surpassed. Perhaps the idea of bodily harm to her mother simply did not bother her as much as it should have—Farina grit her teeth in realization and chose not to voice it.

"Florina's the one who let him go," she said, equal parts resenting and guilty. "I picked up your mom and went running. Florina was supposed to kill the guy or something—I mean, that's what she does, she tears up people and she didn't do it. She was supposed to stay behind. Clearly I could handle getting help for Anu on my own."

But Florina was just a scapegoat, and Farina knew it.

Fidgeting and energetic with guilt, the Rikr took her stone raccoon once more and began to pick at it with startling vivacity. "I envy you, you know. Your family's fucking perfect and everybody's watching out for you." A pause and a drop in volume. "...Sorry."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 am

Emotion and nerves fluttered at the surface of her skin. Always tangible to whomever brushed past her. It was her weakness, and her want for thick armor, for carelessness... it was all too great. Instead she could feel herself getting uncomfortable, the emotion swelling up inside without any way of stopping it. She could only try to keep it from bubbling up to the surface of her face.

Farina's words, short, spoke of understanding. But they did not lead her to the answer she had wondered about. And of course the girl did not ask. Instead her ears fell at Farina's next words. She hadn't needed an explanation. Instead she was only hoping to express her gratitude for the Rikr's actions. Her anger for the justice that she felt had gone undone had poked through into her words and now there was no way to reel them back in.

Her lips parted as so that she could perhaps mend the tattered ends of the conversation, but then the dark woman spoke something that forced her mouth to close. Andi looked away, an instant surge of anger coming to her but she chocked it down. Never had she ever thought of her family in such a way, never had she thought that she had something that the others in Vinátta did not; some special treatment.

The apology didn't go far with the Coeur.

She swallowed and looked at the carver, You don't have it all that bad. Being the sister of the Sannindi and the daughter of the former. Andi may have the picture perfect family, but her two mother's did not hold the fame and rank that the vin Haki's family did. They were not tied to the Stormbringers. Their name meant nothing. That was as if image had anything to do with anything, and Andira knew that it didn't. Hard work was the only thing that would get them anything. She regretted not being the one to help Anu even more now.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:48 am

"My family being leaders has never done anything for me," she said, shrugging, earlier hostility starting to fade with conscious effort to match Andira's level. "I never wanted it to. I worked to get where I am."

Farina sighed. "If anything, it's been an annoyance. They don't really have time to sit with me or anything, even though Florina lives with me. Between my mother crying all the time and my sister defensive as hell, I wouldn't blame people for not checking in on our personal lives."

She realized perhaps it was a feeling of loneliness that plagued her and stifled it at once. Her mother had more or less rejected her, and her sister too finicky and self-involved. If Farina felt neglected or lonely, she would not let on to it. Not even to Andira.

"We just kind of suck as a family," she laughed though a hollow sound surfaced, and looked her fellow Araedi in the eye. "I'm glad to have helped yours. I really am. I have a lot of respect for your mom. Er, both of them, I mean, but I'm talking about Anu."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:10 am

They would never know the true depths of someone's relationships, it was wrong to judge but the merle female felt to defensive to not. She glanced over to the larger hands of the dark woman, not yet sure if she was ready to meet her intense black gaze. Her words seemed less frustrated. It was how Andira felt, she had worked just as hard to reach the level of Araedi. It was not because of who her family was. Or that they were seemingly perfect.

She said nothing, as she had not thought anything different then Farina's statement. Even with her family in their position everyone needed to pull their own weight. As Farina described the dynamics of her family, mention one sister and her mother Andi just wondered what it would be like if her parents were younger. Both had been leaders of packs, both knew what it took. But they chose to live simply, and watch as younger members stood as their leaders. That perhaps was what gave Andira the protectors and nurturers that her mothers were. Or it was luck. Andi just didn't know.

Sometimes we're just.. She paused, trying to take hold of the words, our ranks. Most of the pack probably doesn't think you need to be checked on. Lets make it a point to check on one another, I don't really get a lot of knocks on my door either. She said with a empty laugh and a shrug.

Either way she was no longer angry, instead feeling for Farina rather then upset by her words. She saw her head turn and felt her eyes and so she brought her gaze up to look at her. She couldn't see the hurt and the loneliness, just as Farina wanted. She has been through a lot, my mother Tayui too. Did you know that your mother and mine, Anu, lived together in a pack before? Years ago. Seems like another world when my mother talks about it. Andira spoke off hand, only knowing what Anu had told her, and it wasn't much. To a woman who had only lived in one pack her entire existence, the stories of her mothers living elsewhere were more like dreams then history.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am

Farina nodded along with Andira's struggling explanation of their roles, fully in tune with what her Coeur friend was trying to say. "I like that, yeah. I've been trying to watch after Carya, too—Auguste and Valérian seem to be doing okay, but Carya's been... kind of off for a while now. You know? I'm worried about her."

A long, inquisitive look to Andira politely requested any information she might have had on the topic.

Inquistion turned quickly to surprise, however, when Andira quoted their two mothers as connected further back than Farina had ever thought. Strange: The vin Haki did not recall Anu and Colibri speaking often, especially not out of necessity. If they were once friends—if they went that far back—why did they not confide in one another more, just how Andira and Farina did?

"That's... almost hard to believe. I think I've only seen them speak to each other once or twice." She fiddled with her fingers, thinking hard. Maybe she had not been attentive enough. "I wonder why they're not better friends like you and I. ...Although I guess there's not a lot of opportunity to talk to my mother, what with goddamn Niernan always clouding her like a big black mosquito." Thumbs tapped together. "I wonder what their pack was like back then."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

Dead Topics