sprint and saunter

POSTED: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:38 pm

It went without saying that Micah missed Cercatori d'Arte. No, the pack was not presently filled with the music or craftmanship he might have expected of it, nor was it on par with the loons of Juniper Peace, but he missed the familiarity. He missed a wall behind his home, a canvas ever-changing, without a doubt still boasting the Chaos Star he had painted there when he left it behind. He missed the smells and the simplicity. The lack of necessity to constantly glance over one's shoulder.

That was not to say he disliked Inferni, even though he still did.

More familiar faces had been found within the coyote clan than he believed had ever existed for him with the d'Artisans. The coyotes were a fiery, exciting bunch, more varied in membership than he had dreamed—and Micah, intimidated by crowds, wanted none of it. He hid in the fields, raised baby birds, and doted on his cousin's horse in isolation.

But eager for a change in scenery—and perhaps a little homesick—Micah meandered his way to Berwick with Bark in tow, intent to scavenge the little town as he had done countless times before in the recent year passed. With two functioning cans of spraypaint in his hands, Micah exited the rotting door of a shop.

"You should be spending your time more wisely," snapped Storm Lily in his wake. The beaming Micah did not hear her, grinning as he tested the can and sprayed paint into open air. Tucking the can away, he turned with a smile and started for the neighboring shop with a skip in his step.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:08 am

dance baby dance like the world is ending

Nova Scotia seemed to be saturated with packs and other canines; as Felix traveled down the peninsula, he kept scenting different groups of wolves and coyotes, and meeting others with far more frequency than he normally did. It could be that, with the higher concentration of canines combined with the smaller landmass, that it was just natural that he'd encounter more people this way. Or maybe he was just that charismatic, he thought to himself with a cheeky grin.

He followed the vague instructions that he'd received from various others he'd encountered until he thought he might be on the right path. A city loomed before him, and he approached it, noting the stronger scents of some groups of wolves nearby, although he didn't know enough about the land yet to identify them.

He meandered into the city, drawing in the desolate state of the crumbling buildings, slowly being reclaimed by nature's arms. He drew his boomerang from the strap across his back and weighed it in his hand, reassured by its substance. He smelled a strong coyote scent wafting through the streets, and on a whim, he followed it.

It didn't take him long to track down the coyote. He drew closer, taking in his appearance; he was almost entirely black, save for a red strip on the bridge of his nose, and the white-silver streaks running through his hair. He vaguely recognized the coyote's scent - he had encountered it further north, but couldn't place the name that he was searching for.

He let an easy grin spread across his face, but still held the boomerang tight in his hand. "Hey, there!" he called out to the coyote, walking closer. "What's up?"

283 words

Sunny
Luperci
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

POSTED: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:27 am

A voice caught him by surprise, cutting short the excitement in his discovery and warping it at once into anxiety. The skip in his step turned to a slight trip and a turn, sudden, stiff. Were his fur not deep and studded with silvers like starlight, the Infernian might have bleached white.

"Micah, stop it," barked the ghost, glancing close into the face of the stranger. She circled him once, then vanished. "He's not even a d'Artisan."

She had read her brother's mind: With such proximity to his old pack, to run into a former packmate was likely. He had taken the risk to satiate nostalgia, but the worry for such a meeting had nearly torn apart his innards. With the nonchalance of the greeting he received, too, Micah thought the moment he so dreaded had arrived. It hadn't.

He hadn't the slightest who this man was, in fact. At least he looked friendly, unlike the last terrible loner Micah crossed. His tongue browsed the holes in his gums. "Oh, um... Hello. How, uh, how do you do? Umm, I was just, just... Looking around. Gathering supplies. I used to come here a lot."

Ears flipped, eyes averted. Storm Lily laughed, invisible, and Micah gritted his teeth—save for the missing ones, of course. "Can I—i-is there something I can do for you?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Felix grinned sheepishly as the stranger stiffened and halted, as though he had scared him witless. Whoops. The dark male began to speak, and even his speech was halting and unsure, like someone trying to walk on mountainous rocks.

"I do fine, thanks," Felix said cheerfully, disregarding the other's hesitation; he didn't seem like he was going to attack him, or like he even could attack him, so the wolf tucked his boomerang back into its sheath and fell into a relaxed stance. He seemed like an uptight kind of guy, at least judging from the way he grit his teeth and remained in his stiff, almost timid stance.

Felix shrugged and approached the guy so he could talk to him more clearly. "Not really. Unless - do you know where Cercatori d'Arte is?" he asked, the pronunciation of the pack falling clumsily from his mouth. After all those times his mother corrected him, he still couldn't get it quite right. Remembering his manners, he stuck a hand out, the grin falling easily back onto his face. "I'm Felix, by the way."

183 words

Sunny
Luperci
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

POSTED: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:06 am

"Cercatori d'Arte?" The Lykoi perked his ears, stutter and terror temporarily receding as if the mere thought of his former home brought him peace. In its earlier renditions, it might have; his more recent memories of the artisan pack were associated with terrible events beyond the d'Artisan control. No peace was to be made of it. Not for Micah.

He squared his shoulders, uncomfortable, and pointed a direction. "Umm, yeah, it's that way. Not too far. I lived there until, well, kind of recently. How did you... how did you hear about it?"

"Micah Lykoi," was his reply, and his handshake as shaking as to be expected.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:15 am

Apparently the name drew some recognition from the dark coyote, whose ears perked and whose tongue pronounced the name with near-perfect pronunciation. Felix nodded automatically, wondering how well-known his (hopefully) future pack was around this area. His questions were answered as the coyote explained himself, and the wolf was happy to hear that he was, at least, on the right track.

"Nice to meet you, Micah," he said, noting the strange way Micah's hand trembled as he shook it. "Well, I'm glad I'm going in the right direction," he said, grinning as he let his hand fall back to his side. He thought a second about the coyote's question, and then followed up.

"My mother was a member," he said. "Skye's her mom." Something in the back of his mind tickled him until he brought it to the forefront - that's right. Micah said he was a member of d'Arte, but not anymore. Curiosity piqued, he cocked his head slightly. "So why'd you leave? Is it haunted?" he asked, a cheeky grin spreading on his face once more.

173 words

Sunny
Luperci
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:06 am

"I, uh, I think I'm about done here," continued Micah following the quivering handshake. He pushed out a smile, genuine at least in majority. "Cercatori's not too far and I've been missing it lately—I don't mind walking you there."

It delighted him to see a prospective joiner for his former pack; it was left behind without resentment or bad feelings, and Micah earnestly wanted the best for Skye and her members. It was just that he did not fit there any longer. The least he could do is try to fill the void he left behind—not that there was much of one.

"Skye is an old friend," he said thought uncertain the Collins would feel mutually. Their last meeting at Inferni borders was cordial but professional, and where they stood as friends he did not know. He had been an annoyance in the later months of his membership, after all, what with Lowry's death and Mistral's general irritation factor. "I won't say you look like her, heh, but I'm glad you've found her way to her. She'll be happy."

Skye never seemed like she was happy enough anymore. Not like she used to be. "But why did you come alone?"

"What? No! No, no, nothing like that!" Shaking his hands, the coyote flattened ears and stifled automatic panic at mention of ghosts. Storm Lily snorted somewhere in the vicinity. "I just—I didn't get along with some of the members and there were things I needed to get done, that's all. The pack is great—they're all really great, really. You'll be happy."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics