turning to fade through the sawgrass

POSTED: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Figure a round or two of walking/chatting/checking up on border things then someone can come in? I should probably write longer posts so I can actually reach 1,000...

Patrolling calmed Vesper -- or at least allowed her to take her mind off her worries for a while. She had become quite adept at sweeping her thoughts aside and focusing just on her surroundings and the sensations, such as a gust of wind sending the tall prairie grass tickling at her belly, or the heat of a glacial boulder as she perched on it to see farther. She dropped down again and breathed in the familiar scents, finding nothing amiss among this stretch of border -- but there were miles to go.

Tilting her face briefly into a breeze that made the otherwise hot day bearable, she continued on with the easy, enduring trot of a coyote. She thought that she might be finished in time to visit friends at the mansion and maybe see what Maddox was cooking today, but she wasn't in a hurry.

Things often went overlooked when one was in a hurry.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:33 pm

311 → Sure, that works for me

Cartier found himself training harder than he ever had in the past. A trespasser had actually passed through their midst, an intruder that had managed to slip on through. He had been there for the confrontation yet he had lacked the skills enough to be of any really use. No, he had faltered when he shouldn't have. What would have happened if either Myrika or Vesper had been injured because of him? The incident had made him question himself, made him question whether or not he was really cut out to be a warrior. It was also this that had ended up spurning him to work and train harder so that such an event would never happen again.

The young male had even increased his patrols of the borders as well. He was in the midst of this such activity when she spied the subleader out and about as well. He offered a friendly bark in greeting and made to approach the other. Cartier had decided to stalk the borders in his Secui form. It gave him size and power while he lacked any weapons other than tooth and claw. He would have had his bow with him except he was running low on arrows and he felt awkward always taking from the stores but never replacing anything, not for lack of wanting to but simply without the knowledge on how to craft what he had been using.

The male altered his course to come up beside the female. He lowered his head and tried to gently nudge her shoulder with it in a form of greeting. "Seen anything so far?" He asked before glancing up to the sky, clearly looking around to see if Stark was somewhere around. He figured that the raven would be out keeping watch as well since that is what Vesper was out doing.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
Luperci Mate to Jehan Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:52 am

See galleries for credit.

Vesper lifted her tail and wagged it in greeting when Cartier called out to her. Muscular and thick-maned in a shape likely four times her weight, he loped toward her and nudged into her shoulder. She licked his ear when he did so, and followed his gaze to the sky. A small smile touched her lips -- though, oddly enough, Stark had not chosen to accompany her on this patrol. He tired more easily than she did, though his excuse was the care and behavior of the juvenile ravens -- many still learning to fly for the first time.

Not yet, the Centurion answered. She somewhat doubted that there would be anything, but of course did not exclude the possibility altogether. Countless patrols produced not even a hint of danger, but concerns written into earth, broken branches, odd scents did turn up on occassion. At worst -- a wolf trepasser intent on blood. Their skulls told the story and spoke of the future.

How has your training been? Vesper asked. It was a broad question -- because Cartier took after several pursuits, from his mother's weapons to Vesper's own skills. He had one of the horses to train, too, just like Vicira. I hear you might be going to the Outpost? she added, grinning. Vicira did like to talk about her ventures, as quiet and mild as she seemed.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:03 am

382 → Out of Character text

Cartier was surprised to not see the outline of the raven silhouetted against the sky. It caused a frown of worry to slip over his features. "What happened to Stark? Where is he?" He asked, turning his face back down to look to Vesper. He was clearly concerned for the other's companion. It was odd to him to not see Stark out patrolling as well. It made him fret that something had happened to the bird and he hadn't done all that he could in order to prevent it. Just the thought had him glancing around again as if he expected some sort of threat to just appear out of nowhere and explain just what had happened to Stark.

Vesper's words did little to quell his concerns. Even though she hadn't seen anything so far didn't mean that something couldn't end up turning up at any moment. His earlier patrol of the borders hadn't caught Skoll before the male had entered. It almost made his wonder if they had become lax. Perhaps patrolling should be an all day thing. Perhaps they should start handing out shifts so that at any point in time the borders were being watched and guarded.

"It's going well enough, I suppose. Still could use lots more work." But then training seemed to be a lifetime pursuit. There was always something more to learn and ever the more practice to get it. There was always someone out there that could best you and so you just had to keep working at it. "I think I'm doing okay with the bow. The others, not so much." He admitted. But then again, with the others, he had no one to teach him how to use his others weapons or anyone to practice them with.

He laughed and nodded his head when the planned outing was brought up. He knew exactly where it was that she had gotten her information from. "Yeah, Vicira wanted to go out so I said I would go with her. Can't let anything happen to her after all." He, perhaps, wasn't the best guardian that Inferni had to offer but he did have passion in the least. He had a willingness and eagerness to learn and better himself.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:33 pm

I think I'll need to make another post so I can get 1000 for the Patrolman co-rank, but I can use that one to wrap it up so we can archive this thread if you want.

Vesper glanced up as Cartier worried about her companion. I'm sure he's fine, she replied. Probably sleeping. He was not like the young ravens with their rambunctious energy. He kept an eye on Ves when he could, but she couldn't fault him for needing to rest. She grinned and nudged gently into the male's side. I'm not too worried. I have you here to look out for me. Her expression was gently teasing.

She listened with interest to his talk, though her good ear swiveled toward random sounds in the vegetation. A mouse made her stop, though she didn't chase it. Better than me, she said. She didn't like weapons for various reasons -- either because they were too humanlike and unusual for her, or because they frightened her. Most warriors train for years before they master anything. You'll get there, and you have plenty to fall back on. He could fight tooth and claw as well as any in Inferni, and that was what mattered to her.

She wagged her tail. Thanks for looking out for her, Cartier, she said. I think the two of you will have fun.

She returned her full attention to the prairie around them, drawing in the scents of baking rock and earth and the deer that grazed here. The wind stirred the grass against her belly, and she turned her face into it, letting it ruffle her cream-tawny fur. When she opened her eyes again, however, her grey hackles lifted and she began to take stiff steps. One of the skulls was missing, and she could smell freshly turned earth, as if someone had tried to dig at the base of the askew stake. Cartier, she growled, to warn him, and stared out at the grass, watched it ripple again. She knew its movements, she'd walked this path a thousand times before.

She flattened her ears and sprang forward, bounding through the grass to a patch where it did not ripple. As she ran nearer, the stench of wolf was plain, and the golden-colored beast leaped out of the grass to meet her. He crashed into her midair, panicked but snarling, and grabbed a mouthful of her neck. She shook him away, teeth bared, and snapped at him in an attempt to drive him away.

The wolf retreated a few steps, but the next moment bulldozed her -- heavy head and shoulders sending her toppling to the ground. She squirmed to regain her balance, but he bit her leg and flipped her down onto her back, mouth locked around her neck again.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:46 am

527 → Out of Character text

Vesper said that she was not worried about the bird and so he tried not to worry as well. It was certainly hard to do though. The male depended on the familiar presence to allow him to know that all was well. The bird wasn't his but he was so used to it being around, especially since he had been raised by Myrika and Vesper so the raven was pretty much always in his life.

"That's because you don't use weapons." He said with a laugh. It wasn't hard to be better than someone who didn't use weapons at all. "I showed Myrika how to use a sling but I don't know if she will stick with it." It wasn't a hard concept to use it, but the accuracy part was difficult to master. And it was for that reason that he didn't know if she would actually stick with it or not.

"I have to. She is like a sister to me and you have to look out for your family." He wasn't certain how Vesper felt about that assessment. After all Cartier had his own sister and it wasn't like Vesper, Myrika, and their children were truly his family. He had never called neither of the leaders mother. He knew that he was forced upon them and it wasn't their choice.

The male stilled when the warning was given. He watched Vesper move off through the grass, silently he hoped that it wasn't anything serious. He had frozen up the last time that there was a threat and didn't want to do so once again. But his silent hope wasn't to come true. It was the snarl that finally had him moving from where he paused and waited for his mentor to return quickly.

When Cartier got there the sub-leader was on her back. It was fear mixed with adrenaline that drove him forward. He rushed the wolf from the side. He bit into the wolf's shoulder and clawed at his side before quickly leaping away. He was trying to do enough to distract the wolf away from Vesper and turn attention onto him instead.

With his plan having been a success Cartier used tactics that Vesper had taught him where he darted in and out with quick attacks before retreating in an effort to not be caught himself. The wolf was larger than him, even with Cartier in his Secui form, and so the young male hoped to wear the wolf out a bit for the other canine to slip up.

When he got an opening Cartier ducked in and locked onto the wolf's throat. The teeth and claws that tore at him only served for him to lock on tighter and whip his head back and forth. His sides were heaving as he panted out through his nose while he attempted to tear out the wolf's throat. Cartier had never been one to resort to violence if he didn't have to but it was him knowing that it was either the wolf's life or their own that had him acting out as viciously as he was.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:40 am

I couldn't figure out how to wrap this up. I don't mind ending it abruptly, though; I've got enough words. If you want, you can reply and fade it out since this is gonna be my last post, but that's 100% up to you if you want a last post or just want it to be finished properly. You can request it archived if not!

And I never will, Vesper declared, playfully stubborn. I don't know if Myri will stick with it, either -- she's learning the bow, though. She was impressed by her mate's intelligence -- and the muscles building in her arms and back from drawing the tense string. The bow was the only weapon Vesper had attempted to use, but it had become a liability to her, and she was out of practice enough that her skills began to atrophy from disuse.

She shook her head, and licked Cartier's cheek at his remark. You do, she agreed, smiling. And I'm glad to have you in my family. Regardless of whether it was her choice, she'd taken in Cartier and saw him as a son, and she would do anything to protect him.

It was the ferocity of a mother coyote that drove her forward to attack the wolf, to protect her family, her clan, but her smaller size became her downfall. She writhed and scratched at the belly of the wolf as he pinned her to the ground by her throat, the pressure building in his jaws. Her fur couldn't protect her for much longer, and she winced as his teeth broke through skin. One of his teeth grated against a rosary bead, and Vesper drew in a breath and used the last of her strength to shove at his stomach and claw at him.

The wolf yelped suddenly, releasing her, and she saw that Cartier had leaped in. He drew the wolf away as Vesper rolled back to her feet, panting, watching as the Secui coyote grabbed the wolf's neck and viciously shook him. Vesper jumped back into the fray, snapping at the wolf's legs and knocking him off balance so he couldn't claw and tear. He fell, and at the same time, blood welled from where Cartier's teeth met flesh.

The struggles became spasms, and once the wolf stilled, or was near enough to death to still, Vesper all but tackled Cartier to lick at his wounds and nudge him from the body. Her throat was sore and breathing was still a bit hard, but she focused instead on licking his scratches. Thank you, she murmured, and looked back at the body. We need to make sure there aren't others. She wasn't certain what the wolf's motives had been, though he'd seemed panicked. Perhaps he'd been sent here on a mission of sorts, even a dare, to take one of the skulls. Are you okay to look? I want to see where the skull went.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

Dead Topics