One scabbed sheep mars the whole flock

[P; Vicira; Prompt #1]

POSTED: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:11 pm

Prompt: Travel to a major city and scavenge something for the whole clan to use -- put it our storage room! Alternatively, find a trader and get something useful!

di immortales virutem approbare, non adhibere debent

iwasaki@flickr

Cartier had made plans to go out with Vicira. Before going to see his "sister" Cartier had made a stop by the mansion in order to go grab Oblak and the cart. He thought it would be a good idea to have the horse and cart with them since the planned trip was all about getting stuff to add to Inferni's stores. He didn't know how much they should get or what all they should bring with them. Though he did make sure to add feed into the wagon just in case Oblak would get hungry along the way.

With Oblak tether to the cart he went to pick up Vicira, spouting about some nonsense about her chariot awaiting while he decided to add in some chickens and piglets to the cart as well. They had an overabundance of the animals so he figured it wouldn't matter if they took some for a snack for the road should it be needed.

After speaking with the female over what else should be brought with them and getting the wagon all packed up Cartier drove out to make his way to the Outpost. Of course the entire time while still within Inferni's borders Cartier couldn't help but to look around for Vicira's brother, Kyrios, in hopes that he might be found and invited along on the trip as well. Sadly enough, for Cartier at least, the male wasn't anywhere around to be found.

Have you seen Galtero? Cartier asked, making conversation as they neared the Outpost. He had spoken with Xochime on name ideas as Cartier was still in the process of learning the language of his father. He wanted his foal to turn out to be a strong warrior and so he had named him as such. He can be such a hot head when he doesn't want to do something. Cartier couldn't help grinning, clearly favoring the strong personality of the young stallion that he had chosen to work with.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
Luperci Mate to Jehan Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:19 pm

The prospect of a journey to the Outpost excited Vicira. She was most comfortable within the familiar territory of her own home -- but she was equally eager to range far and wide and learn all that she could about the world. It was too full of interesting canines for her to forsake journeying for absolute safety. She did, after all, aspire to be scholar and scout both.

But she did feel a lot safer with her adoptive brother offering to go with her. The Bellum coyote would protect her from any danger, she was certain -- and so she was in bright spirits when he picked her up, giggling at his remarks and setting leather pelts on the chickens' cages before settling into the cart beside him, idly leaning into him as wordless thanks for accompanying her. She did notice he was a bit restless before they left, but didn't say anything -- only chatted with him on the journey to the Outpost, miles and miles with breaks for food and rest.

It turned out to be an uneventful journey, with nothing bad happening -- save a chicken almost escaping before it could be made dinner -- and before Vicira knew it, the Outpost was in sight on the horizon, small buildings clustered by the ocean. She glanced at Cartier as he spoke, nodding and smiling. He's a really great horse. You're doing a good job with him -- but all the wild foals can be like that. The one I'm training -- the palomino with the bald face -- is really stubborn. She sighed. I don't know what to name her, though. Galtero -- that's a good name. She didn't know the other's language, but it rolled off the tongue and carried power with it that suited the young stallion.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
Luperci Multiple Co-ranks Level III Rex Chaos Star oderint dum metuant
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 am

I think Cartier will want to take a wild horse from Mack. He'd prolly also look for gifts too. And of course something for Inferni, whatever you want to get is fine.

iwasaki@flickr

Cartier was secretly glad that nothing happened on the trip to the Outpost. While he wanted to be a warrior he was also scared about actually fighting. He was worried that he would freeze up again. He didn't want Vicira to be hurt by his inability to act. Of course he didn't say as much. He didn't want his family, adopted or not, to know about it. He didn't want them to see how much of a failure he was in his chosen profession.

Xochime helped me name him. She has been helping me to learn my father's tongue. It felt so odd to him to even say that he had a father. It even made him chuckle. That sounds really weird, doesn't it? Me having a father. After all he had grown up without one. He had been raised right alongside Vicira and had ever only known his mother, and the maternal figures that Myrika and Vesper had became to him. You know, I met him once. I don't really think he was all that impressed with me. I mean I haven't seen him again or anything. It bothered Cartier to have been a disappointment to the man that had given his seed to create him. It made him speculate that he was the cause of not having a father. Like maybe the man had been around at the beginning and Cartier had been the one to make him leave.

He stared down at the reins in his hands, perhaps for a few moments too long. What about Careta? He finally ended up asking slowly, glancing over at Vicira as he made the suggestion. Careta. Mask. He removed one hand from the reins in order to mime removing a mask from his face. He wasn't certain if it was a good name or not but looking at Vicira's horse it looked as if the face didn't belong to the body and could be removed, like a mask.

He tried to drive right into the compound but was redirected to park the cart elsewhere. He drove the cart to the area in which he had been directed and parked it. He got out and went to help Vicira down as well before moving to the back to pull out some feed to put down for Oblak. He didn't know how long they would take but he wanted to make sure she wouldn't go without.

Ready? He asked Vicira and started towards the trading gate when the sound of a raised voice had him pausing. He held up a hand to get Vicira to stop and be silent before pointing to where he was hearing the yelling come from. Cartier found himself moving to go and investigate. He came to a corral with a horse and a coyote in the middle of it. When he saw the way the horse was being treated Cartier was quick to speak up. Hey! He is just scared! Hold on! He called out to the coyote with the horse before turning to look for Vicira, calling out in hopes that she might hear him. Go grab some of the feed and bring it here.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:33 pm

See galleries for credit.

It was strange to hear Cartier speak of a father. Vicira had no father -- though she understood the process of making puppies required a male, something lacking from her parents' arrangement. What she felt was not quite jealousy, since Cartier's doting figures in life were Vesper and Myrika, same as her. It was an awkwardness, though she didn't think Cartier's father was any more important than hers -- nameless, likely some rogue in the wilderness coyote enough to suit Myri. She didn't understand aspiring to someone he didn't know, but she did understand heritage.

It was odd, but Vicira did not dwell on it.

Instead, she smiled reassurance at her adoptive brother and nudged his elbow with her own. My moms are impressed with you. I'm impressed with you. And we're here and we matter. She flicked her tail along the seat, nervous about broaching the subject when it was one so awkward to her. Where does your father live?

She let him have his silence, not certain if he was trapped in worries or merely thoughtful about a name. The one he offered was feminine and meaningful, and she smiled as he mimed the mask. I like it, she said. Careta, she echoed, to make sure she had it right.

Vicira fell silent as they approached the camp, fidgeting slightly with her hands as they were redirected. She stepped down from the cart with help from Cartier, smiling at his chivalry before lingering by Oblak as he retrieved the feed. She stroked the mare's neck and eyed some of the other hitched horses, admiring some openly. A doggish-looking loner caught her staring at his animal and grinned at her. Shyly, she offered him a nod then very quickly turned to follow Cartier, walking close to his side -- at least until shouting drew Cartier's attention.

A corral had been set up on the outside of the Outpost, a wild-looking horse rearing and frightened as a bad-tempered coyote cursed it. The horse -- and others in the pen -- was far skinnier than the ones hitched along the fence. Wide-eyed, Vicira stared, and was only aware of her lip curling and a growl rumbling in her throat when Cartier gave her an order. This was new territory, and he was higher-ranked, so she obeyed without thought, running quickly to retrieve the feed.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:41 pm

iwasaki@flickr

Cartier laughed and shook his head. You have to say that because you are family. Perhaps it wasn't a blood relation but still thought of the other as family. After all he got along better with Vicira than he did with Versace. But then again Versace and himself Had differences in opinion about appropriate study habits. Cartier simply couldn't understand how his sister could sit for hours at a time with a book on her lap. He just wanted to get up and go after just a few minutes of inaction.

I don't really know. Cartier admitted with a shrug. I was out checking on the Ash herd when I saw him. I don't know if he even really belongs anywhere or not. It had not really come up in the short conversation that they had.It was why he couldn't put a finger on how the older male had felt about him. Not much had been learned from that conversation other than Cartier having a father.

Cartier grinned when Vicira liked the name that he had suggested. It made him feel like his lessons were paying off. He might not get to speak with his father again but at least Vicira seemed to appreciate his attempt at learning the language. Or at least she seemed to like the names that he came up with from it.

Cartier watched the man while he waited on Vicira to grab the feed. He would have got it himself except he wanted to keep an eye on the coyote and he wouldn't be able to forgive himself if something happened to Vicira because the male decided to take offense to Cartier interrupting. He figured it would be safe enough for her to go to the cart and back without him.

He took a handful of the feed that was brought over and eased his way into the corral. "He is just scared. No need to do all of that. Just give him something to eat and let him calm down." Cartier said as he eased his way around the corral and closer to the horse. Cartier looked shocked at the way that he was spoken to when Mack turned on his and cursed at him as well for presuming to tell him how to do his job as well as barking at him to get away from his property unless he planned on purchasing it.

At the notion that he could get the horse Cartier glanced back to Vicira and looked pleadingly at her. The stallion was a rich black with a white mane and tail and white facial marking. He didn't look as bad off as the other animals there but would still need some rehabilitating. It looked like a few good meals and the stallion would be good as new, at least that it what it looked like from just a quick glance. He wanted to rescue this horse but he wouldn't do it unless Vicira agreed as well. This was her trip out and they were to be getting things for Inferni, not things for him alone.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 pm

424Sorry this is disjointed and everything... I need to figure out how a mad Vicira acts and I'm still not sure, haha.

See galleries for credit.

I don't have to say anything good about you, Vicira pointed out. I just can't say anything mean about you. She grinned, winking one pale eye and nudging into his arm affectionately. He was like a big brother to her, and sometimes she felt closer than him than to Kyrios -- maybe because Cartier was so eager and open, even when worrying about nonexistent faults. He was soft despite his rank, making her feel less like a stranger in her own little family.

She cared enough that his answer troubled her, and her brow furrowed. Was it supposed to be secret? she asked. I don't see why he wouldn't tell you more. There was also the possibility that he did not want Cartier -- but why would he have lain with Willam, who didn't seem the type of woman to make such a mistake, if that were the case? She frowned and nibbled at her lip in thought, thoughts straying to other mysterious fathers for a moment.

There was no time for such daydreaming when the scene of the horse played out before her. She fetched the feed as quickly as she could, offering it to Cartier and hanging back with ears low and lips tense. She didn't know what she'd do if the ill-tempered man hit Cartier. She was about to run and get one of the guards posted at the entrance, despite the indifferent looks they'd worn earlier, when mention of property and trade flipped her ears back and provoked a glance from Cartier.

You can't possibly want much for him, Vicira said, and was astounded to find her voice was as even and mild as ever -- without even a tremble. We own foals that would fetch more of a price than that.

The gruff coyote snorted at her, and leered at Cartier. The dark stallion, meanwhile, flared its nostrils and glanced hungrily at the feed -- though it didn't approach Cartier, only shying back from the trader with flat ears and a cocked hoof. Ain't sellin' one of your foals, the man yapped. You match what I say, get me good booze 'n' good gear, and you get what ya want. He swept his tongue over his lips then cast Cartier a look bordering on arrogant.

I'm going to get one of the guards, Vicira announced flatly, irritated, but the coyote only laughed.

All they're gonna do is laugh at you, gal. They're above shit like this. I ain't hit you and I ain't in the Outpost so there's nothin' they'd care to do.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

Dead Topics