summer sessions

Lucille! :)

POSTED: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Set in Miramachi watershed! Sorry for the small delay, this morning my SO had some accidents in the kitchen and we realized we didn't have all the tools to clean it up, so we've been running around all day doing errands! Ah! Lol

---

The mid-morning sun had set fire to the forest. In the density of crisp and saturated colors, the inhabitants of the Miramachi woods were but blurs of movement. Leaves danced along the journey of squirrels and birds, bugs hummed and whizzed in their eccentric paths, and the water, beautiful water, glistened and gurgled as it coursed through the woodland floor. Semini had never seen anything quite like it, being a person that preferred the evening when activity began to settle. She marveled at the harmony in a way only a stranger could.

It was only a few strides down to the river but she crossed it in one. A loud splash announced her presence to the morning world, though the effects of her leap barely caused a ripple in the woodland rhythm. The sound was absorbed into the scatter of fleeing squirrels and mice, into the swaying brambles and crackling twigs. She looked around herself quickly and saw that the minnows and tadpoles had barely made way to accommodate her ankles. A laugh escaped her open lips but when she caught sight of her reflection, she sobered straight up. She felt alone, but there was no telling who might be around to see her laughing about nothing.

Instead she took to a more neutral activity and began to pace along the shallows. It seemed there were a number of fish at this time of day, some lingering, some traveling through. She rolled her shoulders and flipped the curls of her light hair from her neck. It was time to get to work.
Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Alaine     Avatar by San

San
Luperci Angler, Carpenter, Striker Tusk Stubborn Love bbleeearrrrghhhhhh
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:58 pm

OOC: no problem! I hope everything's alright!

IC:
With the pack becoming more settled, Lucille was getting a bit of wanderlust. She was used to traveling, and she went into this knowing that she would be required to spend most of her time with the pack, however that did not mean she couldn’t do a little bit of traveling, especially when that traveling was near their home and useful to the pack.

Lucille sat astride her horse, Tiro, reins knotted on top his neck with a bit of his mane in the knot to help hold them in place. She used her legs to steer his slow gait while looking down at the map she was starting to draw. It was messy and shaky from doing it while on horseback, but it would be good enough for her to recopy later.

Tiro’s head jerked up at the same time Lucille heard a splash and she glanced down at the stream next to them. It wasn’t deep, so no one should be in trouble, and then it was followed by laughter. Lucille reached down to pat her horse’s neck and nudged him with her feet to keep moving forward while rolling up her map so she could grasp the reins. She supposed they could at least go see who it was that was laughing and probably playing in the stream.

As they drew near, Lucille spotted a female canine, although she couldn’t tell what sort subspecies she might be. She gently tugged the reins and Tiro stopped willingly, lazy horse that he was.

“Hello there,” Lucille called to the stranger.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Hahaha he's alright! Even though I'm the one with butter-fingers, the one time he drops something, it breaks in the most unbelievable fashion LOL!

----

She found the spot where the fish would be easiest to net. There was an outlet in the river between two boulders, and it was just barely wide enough for larger fish to pass single file. Smaller fish would slip around the boulders, but she wasn't interested in them. At first she didn't understand why they would detour from the river's flow, when it seemed the water was shallow and exposed them to predators. Then Semini noticed their white mouths poking through the surface at the other side of the boulders, and she realized that they were eating the fruit and nuts dropped by squirrels and birds in the trees. It was breakfast time for everyone, she thought, including herself.

Sloshing back to the bank, she began to shrug off her backpack when the sound of hooves reached her exposed ears. She stood straight and looked around, bright eyes glinting between the falling sunlight and the light refracted from the water. Her immediate thought was that there was a wild herd of horses in the area, but the footfalls had been too regular and easy for a feral creature straying for a drink. Not to mention she wasn't exactly the cleanest smelling Luperci in the area, surely a cautious prey-animal would catch her scent and head further upstream. She watched the woods with interest, determining that the horse must have a rider.

In a moment the brush revealed her company, and the tenseness of her form dispersed. Relief washed over her when she saw a woman, and a dog no less, a type she determined to be generally friendly and harmless. The woman called a greeting and her voice sounded friendly, which solidified her judgment. A few months ago she might have been disgruntled to be interrupted, but since the wreck she'd been grateful to see anyone. Well, somewhat.

Her long, curly tailed waved behind her as she lifted a hand in greeting. "Hello!" she called. She smiled a little, uncertain of what to expect. Upon further observation, the woman didn't seem much in the way of a traveler. It occurred to Semini that she could be intruding somewhere, on someone's land. She frequently forgot that the world was divided in a way the seas could never be. "I'm not in the way, am I?" She hoped not, she was pretty hungry.

San
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:25 am

OOC: wow your avatar is gorgeous! It looks like it was done in oil paint o.o also good to hear he’s alright!

IC:
The other female seemed friendly, which was good because getting Tiro to run was sometimes a bit of an ordeal, unless he was startled by something, which didn’t happen too often. Sometimes she thought he was even too lazy to spook easily. Maybe it was just because he was so big. Either way, he was a good mount for her to learn the ropes of riding a horse because he was patient with her. Or simply didn’t care when she used to tug his reins too hard, or grab his mane when she felt like she might fall.

She shook her head to the other female’s question. “No, not at all,” Lucille replied. “I’m just mapping the area for my pack. We live back that way a little ways,” Lucille said, gesturing back the way she had come. This female wasn’t too close to the borders, so the sheepdog didn’t feel the need to be defensive, although she would have been less than pleased to find someone fishing at their border. Perhaps they would need to mark the rivers with something other than scent on each side. She glanced down thoughtfully at the river for a moment and noticed that the other female had been fishing.

“How’s the fishing in this area?” Lucille asked, figuring that was something she could mark on her map as well. Some of her packmates would definitely like to know where the good fishing was, although she wasn’t sure if it would be the whole river, or just one particular area. She knew how to fish, but finding food fishing areas was not something she was good at. The sheepdog usually just fished where she was told to cast her line or net.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Thank you!! I've been working on it on and off since I first had the idea for Sem, I'm happy to be done with it! Lol! I'm getting back into more painterly type work so I'm eager to see where this leads me. x)

---

The lone woman was relieved to hear that she was not on anyone's grounds, and as if to agree her stomach gave a small rumble from behind her tattered black shirt. She clutched at her waist in an attempt to silence the sounds - it was embarrassing to be so audibly famished. Luckily the noise seemed to have gone unnoticed, as the friendly dog went on to describe her purpose and point to the direction from which she came. Semini nodded, looking into the woods as if she could see the pack from there. "Is it a dog pack?" she asked, though not unkindly. She knew very little of packs or what it meant to live in one. The idea of a pack brought to mind wild, feral creatures, which to the traveler was very incompatible with what she knew of dogs.

Rather than stay idle, the young woman crouched to her nested backpack and began to pull from it a wrapped up net. She stood and held it wide. The majority had unraveled neatly, but the ends had become tangled with some of her ropes and other items from the pack. Her frown seemed to say that one day, she was going to make herself a real leather backpack, one with compartments.

Future endeavors were forgotten by the time Lucille asked her of the fishing, and the lone traveler seemed to brighten up with interest. She was halfway through untangling the mess. "I'm not sure how good the fishing is yet. But it seems like there's some sections where they congregate, like over there-" she gestured with a netted hand toward the two boulders "-They aren't too big; the river's shallow. But catch enough of them and you'll have a good meal, I bet." A smile briefly entertained her lips, but quickly vanished beneath the task at hand. The net had knotted around her wrist somehow. "Yes. Compartments." she grumbled, tugging and pulling at the ropes.

San
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:13 pm

OOC: you're welcome! I'm guessing it will lead to lots of good art. :D

IC:
“My mate, Gus, and I are the leaders, and we are both dogs, however species doesn’t matter to us,” Lucille replied, wondering why this female had asked. She knew that some had problems with dogs, and it would certainly affect her since her heritage was so obvious, and so she wondered if that was to be the case here. Their family was a mixed bunch, though, and none cared about anyone else’s lineage; it was hard work and a willingness to pitch in and make sure the group survived that mattered.

A slight frown crossed Lucille’s features as the female started untangling a mess of a fishing net, but she quickly wiped the expression from her face. Several of her pack members would surely have a fit to see fishing supplies in that condition.

While she listened to the answer to her question about fishing, Lucille slid down from Tiro’s back. He lifted his head and looked over at her, but otherwise did not move. The sheepdog headed over to look closer at the water, confirming the female’s description of the river for herself, and then unrolled her scribbled map so that she could take some notes on this area. She drew a few lumpy circles to indicate the rocks, which would be useful, although she doubted her packmates would need to travel out here for fishing. Still, it was good to be thorough.

Lucille looked back when the female grumbled something she didn’t quite catch, although she did not ask what it was.

“Thanks,” she replied instead. “A fair number of my packmates like to fish, so I’m trying to get information that would be useful to them as well. Oh, I’m Lucille, by the way," she added on, realizing she had not introduced herself yet. "And my pack is called Krokar."

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:25 pm

woop! Sorry a little late. Also sorry for the blah post! haha

Lucille's title caught the young traveler off guard. She felt embarrassed for behaving in a way that could seem disrespectful to someone with authority. But they weren't inside the pack's lands, she decided, and it didn't seem like the other dog was offended. Her head slowly nodded to Lucille's reply. "Sure," was all that she could think to say. She didn't really know what to make of a pack that was made of just anyone. Everyone in the ports told her that in the West, packs were savage and full of wolves who couldn't hold a pencil. Lucille fit neither of those descriptions, and it didn't sound like her mate Gus did either. A place that welcomed people from all walks of life sounded more like, well, a ship.

She had managed to pick out the last of the knots by the time Lucille had strode over to investigate her claims. She shot a quick, curious glance to the paper in the sheepdog's hands, but she couldn't get a good view of the drawings. Their encounter so far struck Semini as both strange and familiar. The young traveler stood up, and began wrapping the free line of the net around her right wrist. It wasn't hurting as much now, just as the medic in Bathurst said. In another week she would be back to normal. "Good to meet you, Lucille," the young traveler said with something of a lopsided smile. "Krokar sounds like a ship. Maps, fishermen, folk coming together no matter where they're from." It wasn't a very insightful thing to say, but the fondness in her voice was enough to sell it, even if it was only to herself.

"I'm Sem. Well. Short for Semini." she began to offer her hand, but decided better of it given the net. Instead she turned toward the river and gathered up the rest of the trap in her free hand. She took a moment to pace along the bank and find the right position. Using a cast net such as her own might have been overkill for the section, but it was all she had until she could settle down and make herself a smaller, travel-sized one. Anyway, she expected to catch mostly debris. The fish were skittish here, and would balk as her shadow passed over the top. Standing such that the sun threw her image in the other direction, she readied the device and then gave it an enthusiastic toss. It hovered a moment, light and gentle, before hitting the river with a small innocuous splash. Pulling the line, the net folded into itself and dragged heavy and full upon the bank. Several gleaming bodies flopped unhappily together, most of them too small to be of any good, but one large one wheezed at the end. Semini made an excited sound, meager as her catch was. "Well, another round," she said to Lucille. Another round would do it. She turned to the Krokar woman. "Would you want to give it a go?"

San
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

“It does a bit,” Lucille agreed with a nod. She supposed it made sense; after all, several of them had arrived on ships, including herself. It was part of where they pulled their rank names from, after all. The tone in the other female’s voice had Lucille wondering if perhaps she had more in common with them than fishing.

“Nice to meet you,” she replied and then watched as Semini tossed the net into the river. Lucille had not practiced fishing with a net too much, although even she could tell that this one was too big. She looked over the fish, mainly because she wanted to be able to report back to her packmates. After all, these fish would end up coming through their packlands with the flow of the river.

“Ah,” Lucille hedged at the offer for her to try. “Sure, I can give it a go. I’m better with a rod and a line, though.” She moved to tuck her paper into a saddle bag so that it didn’t end up falling into the water and then stepped back over to where the net was. “A couple of my pack members do fish with nets, though. We even have a competition once a year to see who can catch the biggest fish.” She was talking more to try to cover how clumsy she was about to be with casting the net.

Lucille grasped it carefully so that she didn’t somehow manage to tear it and tossed it into the river, mimicking Sem’s previous movements, although in a much less smooth manner. Soon enough, the net was back on shore, once again filled with flopping fish.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:20 am

Semini cleared away the fish from the net, kicking the smaller ones back into the river and keeping the largest one for lunch. She figured that wherever the river let out, the small ones would go and get bigger. It would be no use to try and make a meal out of them they way they were. She re-strung the net and then handed it to Lucille, who despite her general confidence seemed to hold some reservations about the procedure. After a minute, Semini wasn't sure why. The net unfolded in a large, nice oblong across the watertop. The result was as good as any, even if the technique was a little clumsy.

Her comment about the pack's activities drew her attention. "A competition, huh?" she grinned, thinking on her own experiences. Her right wrist twinged a bit, and she rubbed it in thought. "There must be a lot of fish around here. I would love to see that." She didn't like to admit it to people, but she had something of a competitive drive. Even if she didn't think her cast netting was the best, she was aware of her own potential and was addicted to success, no matter how much failure lied between.

When Lucille pulled in the net, her thoughts returned to lunch. There were many more large fish this haul. Her tail set off behind her like a flag in the wind. "He-ey! This is great - you must be savage with a rod and line," she gushed, crouching by the net and wringing out the smaller guys again. She counted - one, two, five larger fish - each the length of her forearm. Her eyes scanned the area Lucille had thrown, and she wondered if it had been a lucky toss or if the spot was better. Looking up to the Krokarian, she smiled. This dog wasn't half bad.

"You hungry at all?"

San
THE CURE FOR ANYTHING IS
salt water
TEARS, SWEAT OR THE SEA

POSTED: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 pm

"The lakes we live near have very good fishing, I'm told," Lucille replied with a nod. She had not spent much time fishing since arriving, but several of her packmates had and seemed pleased with the results. "We haven't had the competition here yet, though, because we arrived not too long ago."

Lucille was quite surprised by the haul; she had been expecting results similar to what Semini had pulled in. A school of larger fish must have happened to swim by as she tossed the net because she certainly had not been aiming for any fish in particular.

"Wow, guess I'm just lucky," she replied. "I'm alright with a rod; still learning a bit." She watched as Semini tossed the smaller fish back, letting her select the ones she wanted to keep. They were for her, after all, or at least that was Lucille's intention until Sem asked if she was hungry.

"Oh, I guess I am a big hungry," she replied. No use in turning down the offer. Besides, Semini seemed good at fishing. Maybe she had some other things in common with them as well. "I've got a knife we can use to clean them," Lucille said, walking over to Trio, who seemed to have fallen asleep. She fished around in one of the saddle bags before finding her sheathed blade, then headed back over to the fish.

"So how long have you been around here?" She asked while choosing a fish to get started on.

Myst
Luperci

Dead Topics