Sticks, stones, and animal bones

Raven Festival, Spin off thread; Decorating!

POSTED: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:21 am

Help Kara decorate the Hallow's Ruins! She's got a bunch of bones, but others are welcome to bring more.

It wasn't until the Raven Festival began that the Lykoi woman had shown interest in the dark birds. They were interesting though. Each one was as unique as the canines that lived along side them and they all had different personalities. She was growing to know them even in this short time and a couple of the birds received special attention from her. Kára found Thor to be the most amusing out of the ravens. He knew how to argue with her, toss insults, and play the verbal games she couldn't help herself from. She figured out his favorite food was meat and so she'd prepared a rabbit that she'd caught for not just him, but what ever other ravens enjoyed the carnivorous snack.

Hollow ruins had never been the nicest place to be, but it was the ravens favorite place within the pack. Here, the majority of the ravens could be found. After feeding some of the treats she brought to the ravens, Kára began to prepare what she'd come here for. The place was dreary and in need of brightening up. To the coyote's of Inferni, that often meant skulls and bones of fallen prey painted with colors, often red, and hunt from trees or rested on posts. The Lykoi woman never was a crafty person, but she did have an eye for decoration. Over the past couple weeks she collected, washed, and dried the bones of prey she hunted. She had a couple deer, a fox, and some rabbit bones that she brought to decorate.

The ravens rested in the trees and a couple joined her on the old stump where she had things laid out and ready. Others were welcome to join her in the festivities if they liked. Thor remained close to her, hoping he would get another snack. Crap! He spat with ruffled feathers as he inspected the bones Kára collected. Hey. I worked hard to gather these. Don't be mean bird brain. She told him softly, raising a hand to scratch under his beak. Meanwhile, Twitchtail was picking up the smaller bones and tossing them on the floor. He looked up at Kára with a constantly moving head. She knew he was doing it on purpose, but she chose to ignore him. This was their celebration after all. Just don't lose them. They're meant to decorate your mess of a home. Of course he ignored her, continuing to drop the smaller pieces.

To distract him from his trouble making, the Lykoi woman brought out a piece of meat which immediately caught his attention. The raggedy bird hopped forward on the pile of bones bumping into Thor who squawked back in irritation. She handed them both a piece to appease them and end their quarreling. Then she began to tie the threads she had to bones and attach them to other pieces. She planned on using a deer skull as the top piece but he set it aside for later. She wanted to decorate it before she tied it to the string of bones she began to make. As she worked, the sounds of ravens snacking on the kills Inferni provided them could be heard, such as squawking and arguing among them as they picked at the beast pieces of meat.

A few other birds gathered around her, curious as to what she was doing or simply there for the treats she had. She didn't mind, she was enjoying all of their company however annoying they could be. One of them was a new addition to the group. She'd named her Twinkle Toes, because she was quiet and everything about her was gentle and shy. It seemed more ravens joined the flock when there was abundant food, however not all of them would stay.

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:54 am

His first spat in Cercatori d'Arte had been over the disrespect of a dead animal, beheaded in such macabre manner and staked with intention to draw. His relationship with Belial never smoothed, nor did Micah wish it to, but it was in that exchange the granite coyote realized how deep his Juniper roots had truly grown themselves within him. He pictured his mother crying at such a sight, and had struggled not to do the same.

Inferni tended for such practices, it seemed, but the opportunity to paint and perhaps prove himself useful tore his heart in two. For the first time Micah dared his way to the Ruins, wringing his hands, intent to see what it was asked of him as an Infernian and knowing well he would more than likely turn and go home and pretend he had seen and heard about nothing related to the Raven Festival whatsoever.

Except that in the Ruins he found another Infernian, unrecognizable, and realized he not longer had the option to turn back.

At great and uncomfortable distance Micah lingered, pulling on his fingers, drifting nervous almond eyes over the walls and bones and cawing birds that eyed with twisting heads. He liked the birds, wanted to dote on them, but something about them made him uncomfortable and suspicious.

"Um, hi," he mumbled, hoping she could hear and secretly wishing she did not so that he might turn and disappear unnoticed after all. "I'm, I'm Micah—I, I came to help, I brought paint, umm."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:20 am

-- I hope this is alright? >_> This was posted before the multi-icon rolled, and you said "others" so I assumed. ;__; Let me know if not and I will write an exit post for my dumb coyote. ♥

See galleries for credit.

He carried with him the bones of wolves. One thing Stigmata was good at, one thing he did often, was gather these bones. There were plenty of them in the wide land out there, one needed only know where to look. He murdered none, he killed none, yet there were bones aplenty for him to take. A time or two, the hybrid had happened upon a coyote grave. These bones, he did not disturb in such a manner: instead, he dug holes for them, and buried them. Coyotes did not get strung up, with one or two exceptions. Stigmata knew those skulls belonged to some terrible folk, else they would not be bones on the borders.

The hybrid walked slowly and carefully, carrying the bag at his side. It made his arm weak and tired, but he could not risk bashing the skulls against his thigh. He'd lost two in this manner simply riding back to Inferni. He'd need to pack them more carefully -- but it was not as if he always came prepared to do so, either. That would be different, now. Opportunity needed to be seized; he could not spend all his time backtracking to find skulls he had discovered but failed to harvest. He approached the clump of trees slowly, his arm still held awkwardly.

He saw two figures already within, and made his way forward, shimmying carefully between the trees. A raven cawed at him, and another repeated several words that might have been names of food, or meaningless syllables. Stigmata smiled at the pair. One was dark-hued and speckled with grey stars throughout his fur; the other was tri-colored, streaks of copper, wheat, and charcoal in her fur. Hello, he said, setting the bag down gingerly, inch by inch. Stigmata. We'll give the birds their due, hm?

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star
come & drink with me

POSTED: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:47 am

Not a problem at all! Welcome! :3

The ravens continued to be her only company until she finished with one of her creations. The deer head with various other bones dangling from it. It looked pretty cool, she only wished she had some wolf bones to hang up with the ones she collected but she'd had no luck finding any. The fire furred coyote smiled and stood abruptly, scaring some of the birds away, while Thor remained where he was simply spreading his wings with surprise. Here's one. What do you think? She asked, looking down at the ravens. Crap! Food! Thor shouted, hopping closer towards her. Other ravens echoed his demands for food all around her and they created quite the ruckus. She offered him a scowl. It's not crap! No food for you, not until you're nicer. He cawed and began to pick up her bones, tossing them to the ground.

Just as she was about to yell at him another's voice caught her attention and she spun around, her creation in hand. It rattled together creating a eerie melody. It was a shy, dark male who had come to help her decorate even bringing paint. Her grin widened and she motioned him to close closer, despite her noticing how truly quiet and shy he was. Of course Mouse. I could actually use that paint. I just finished one and it needs a little something extra. She held the stringed bones up for him to see, a toothy grin still splayed across her maw. Kára motioned again. I'm Kára. Bring the paint. She turned away and returned to her work station on the large stump in the middle of it all.

I have plenty of bones I collected so you can make something for them. Though, don't expect them to appreciate it all they want is...well, to eat. Don't say the 'F' word of you'll never hear the end of it. Just as she sat herself back down, someone else joined them. She looked over her shoulder at yet another male. Hey. She responded briskly as she listened to him set the bag down. It sounded like it was full of more bones. Yes, we will. Even if they don't deserve it. The Lykoi girl scoffed as she set her creation down. Did you bring more bones? Any wolf bones by chance? She asked curiously. After her run in with the white wolf, she had a strong desire to hang some wolf bones.

POSTED: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 am

-- *sneaks in out of turn* ♥ also omfg lol thor

See galleries for credit.

At the charcoal-dappled woman's question, Stigmata's dark-hued muzzle split into a slow grin. He nodded deeply, a single movement, and bent to his bag. He began withdrawing the skulls, one by one, and lined them up neatly into rows. They ought to have a look like the borders. Stigmata held the last skull in his hands, pulling several lengths of leather from the bag. He laid them across the skulls and carried the leathers to the woman, bowing his head. It will symbolize our union with them.

He peered over at the coal-hued hybrid and offered the man a smile and a nod. The deep red splash on his muzzle was telling, yet Stigmata could not assume. Stigmata de le Poer. I come from Symera and my father Priest, who comes from Talitha, who comes from Gabriel, who comes from Kaena. He looked from the man to the woman, holding out the skull and leather for her use -- or not, as she deemed. It is good to know you both, and to be in Inferni with you.

Crap, a raven muttered. Crap! The raven hopped right over to Stigmata's skulls and pecked at the leather. Apparently finding it ill-tasting and not food, it squawked and leaped backwards, its wings exploding to full breadth as it did so. With a few beats, it was perching in the tree, its small head hunkered between upraised shoulders.

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star
come & drink with me

POSTED: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:49 am

Mouse? His ears flattened backward at the nickname rapidly earned and posture consequently withdrew, at once made more uncomfortable and regretting that he had gone out of his way to take part in the festival at all. Micah had known he wasn't ready for such level of socialization as this, and suffered worsening nerves when another man arrived. The stranger, introduced as Stigmata, was far more casual and assertive, and Micah was silently grateful for it: The Lykoi could blend better into the scenery if conversation was held elsewhere.

As Micah modestly placed a small collection of spraypaint between he and his clanmates, only the last name of Stigmata's long-winded introduction was recognized: Kaena. Stigmata was no Lykoi, but the splash of color near his nose and the ancestor in common designated them relatives no less. Distant, though. Shy and choosing to look falsely focused on the birds, Micah did not comment on it but nodded stiffly in return.

He made the mistake of glancing at the produced skulls, lined neatly into rows as if mere trinkets and never once belonging to a living, breathing creature—someone's child, someone's beloved, maybe. From his position seated cross-legged on the floor the granite coy startled visibly and ducked into his shoulders, focus despairingly renewed on spraying red a smaller bone collected by Kára.

"I, I don't know much about the skulls at the borders," he said, not untruthfully. Micah hated to dwell there. "But, umm, y-you're welcome to help yourself to my paint however you want."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Sorry for the wait...and yeah, thor's a jerk. X3

Lips lifted to reveal a wide toothy grin as the most recent one to join her began bringing out his collection of collected skulls. Her tail flicked excitedly behind her. She wished she'd been lucky enough to find any wolf skulls, but she hadn't. Lucky for her, her pack mate had an abundance of them. Kára didn't take much time to look before she reached out to grab one of the bigger ones which she would paint and thread more smaller skulls to. It would be a beautiful decoration for the Raven's home. Hope you don't mind. She said with a sly grin which she tossed over to the one who provided the wolf skulls.

When he finally revealed his name, Kára was not at all surprised. A lot of Inferni was related in some way, most all connected through Kaena. It was most certainly something everyone that was related should be proud of, the way she was proud. Same to you. Good to be back. She added, still not feeling completely settled in after her return. It was probably because Vesper hadn't made her feel the most welcome. But, plenty of others had and it would always feel like home here.

Kára scowled at the raven as it muttered at their collection so disrespectfully. With a short growl she reached in her bag and pulled out a handful of diced dried meat, tossing it out behind them so the ravens that bothered them would join the fight for food. There. Now they'll leave us be for a while. They're so rude. After she rid them of the few ravens that had been near, she tossed a glance towards Micah. He really was as she'd deemed him, a mouse, so shy and quiet. I'm definitely gonna use that paint. She didn't say anything further though turning away to focus on the wolf skull. She set her previous creation aside too excited to work on her new project that she ditched her old one. Someone can paint the hanging I made before you guys got here, I wanna work on this wolf skull. With that she began to use the leather to tie smaller skulls and bones to the larger wolf skull.

POSTED: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:16 am

How one could expect the ravens to behave in any better sense, Micah did not understand. They were intelligent, but they were not canines nor Luperci. He watched the impatient motion of casting the birds away by distraction of meat, and observed the cawing and fluttering animals as they clashed gently against one another.

Quiet, Micah redirected his efforts when Kára mentioned a finished hanging that required painting, and the Lykoi took to work on it. Better to paint something premade than to sift through macabre pieces of a former life. Still he knew not what to say, awkward and uncomfortable in their presence, and he tried to keep to himself.

When the silence thickened so, Micah found himself asking, "Doesn't this—doesn't this bother either of you?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics