[J] Show me the way to go home

POSTED: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Player Name: Alex
Character Name: Arno Rousseau
Date of Birth: 02/01/2014
Species: Canine Hybrid
Personality Traits: Naive, Optimistic, Cheerful, Outgoing, Daydreamer
Skills: Being adorable (Arno is a child and has few skills. His mother, who this would probably apply to IC, is a skilled hunter of game and fish, has an uncanny sense of direction and is skilled in fighting Optime form Luperci while not being one herself.)
NPC Characters/Animals: Arno's mother, Aimée Rousseau is his cNPC
Residence: Can Arno and his mother get house 21?

OOC: Arno and his mother would be approaching Vinatta from the south.

It was that small slice of time between day and night, when the birds were still awake and seeding the air with gentle noise, but the sun was little more than an orange glow on the horizon and the land was cast in shadow, presenting some reprieve from the ever-present, oppressive heat that had been lingering lately.

Two figures were making their way, slowly and unsteadily, across the landscape. The largest was a clearly adult wolf, faded silver and white fur glimmering in the setting sun. There was a hint in the way she moved and held herself that once this wolf would have been a regal, impressive sight, but little of that was on show now. She stumbled and swayed her way across the landscape and as they passed through shafts of light, the half-starved body hidden beneath her fur could be made out.

The second figure was smaller, and younger, bearing the slightly disproportionate feet of an adolescent not quite done growing yet. Compared to the flowing, light fur of the female this canine was a patchwork of darker colours, and of breeds. There was wolf in him for sure, but depending on where you looked also half a dozen breeds of dog and even a dash of coyote; a muddled heritage besides a pure one, just like the fur.

The smaller figure, Arno, stuck to his mother, Aimée, like a dark furred limpet; constantly at his mother's side. Despite his age and the usual reasons for such an action, it wasn't quite clear who was drawing support from who. From time to time Aimée would turn, talking to Arno in a low, reassuring voice, but there were also times when much of the larger wolf's weight was resting on Arno as she would for strength and balance. Fortunately, he could evidently take the weight; while slightly underweight for his frame, it was clear from sight that the youngster was much healthier than his elder, and the priority for what food they came across.

The two had been travelling for quite some time now, exactly how long Arno wasn't sure. He had spent most of his life like this, travelling alongside his mother, and had stopped counting the days long ago. This latest travel was quite unusual though, for it had been a while since they had been travelling with so clear a target, and the need to get there quickly had never been this high. It seemed that their persistence was paying off though. The scent trail they had been following for quite some time now was getting stronger, expanding. No longer a single wolf but multiple, ageing trails crossing over until eventually they met a wall. Not a literal wall, but a wall of scent; the boundary to a pack's territory, and their goal.

Upon reaching the border the mother slumped down into a grateful clump and was quickly joined by her son, both canines taking a moment to rest. They spent several minutes there, letting exhausted pants die down into regular breathing before both eventually took to their feet again, Arno still sticking close to his mother's side. This time though they didn't go anywhere but the elder simply raised her muzzle to the air, letting a long, slow howl echo out across the evening air.
Arno Rousseau
Now it's time to say goodbye, To the things we loved, And the innocence of youth.

Alex
Luperci Craftsman
Scars strengthen the soul

POSTED: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:00 pm

+512

It was hard being away from her kids for any period of time, but Palaydrian needed to return to her duties in order to keep up her strength and to maintain a healthy nursing weight for the pups that demanded so much from her athletic body. The Aor Vald simply couldn’t laze around all day; sleeping, feeding, and fawning over them, though in reality that’s exactly what she wanted to do. No, she had to return to the borders, at least for a few smaller shifts, though nobody expected her to launch herself back into full out hunting. She had Bran to help provide in that department, and her mate was doing a bang up job, leaving the siamese female to want for nothing. A full mother meant swollen bellies for the pups and though the Stormbringer male thought he’d be a crap dad, he was proving himself wrong every single day.

The problem with pregnancy and the inevitable birth, is that usually the one doing it all gets a bit tired. Exhausted was more like it, but being out in the summer air and traipsing along the border lines felt good. Palaydrian could feel her strength returning and the tightening of her stomach muscles which had been pushed to the limit just last week. Her body was bouncing back, and the more active the viking remained, the faster she could return to performing all her tasks and duties from before. Palaydrian recently had a large litter, but that didn’t mean she’d succumb to being an invalid. Remaining independent, though mated, was still a very large part of her life, she wanted to continue contributing and pulling her own weight despite being a newly crowned mommy once more.

Still, being away from their blind and wriggling bodies was tough. They were so vulnerable and delicate in this stage, only a week old, but they were in capable hands, and she didn’t need to stay away all day. Nursing time was approaching soon anyway, her favorite time to bond with the precious gifts the gods had decided to bless her and Bran with. Thinking of them brought a smile to her lips, her ears cupping forward to catch the sounds of a near off howl, her socked leg stepped forward.

A haggard female and a young thing, not yet a yearling from the looks of it, were sitting at the borders. Drin studied them for a few seconds, hidden from view within the treeline. She had a feeling they’d smell the milk upon her body once she revealed herself, not that it mattered, but she scented them above her own heady musk. She wondered if they were shifters, it wasn’t often that they received lupine strangers on their borders, and these two did not smell like her previous home, New Dawn. With a soft sigh, she prepared herself, stepping out from cover and slowly approaching duo, a greeting on her tongue, You’ve reached the borders of Vinatta, can I help you?

the angel opened her eyes
Ascend to A Chosen Path = ValdEarn A Co-Rank = FalconerEarn A Co-Rank = MedicEarn A Co-Rank = ApothecaryCelebrate A Norse Holiday = OstaraTrade With Another Pack = Sangi'lakTeach The Aeska = Valerian CoeurHave Pups = Tyris Kurosoul & Taro KurosoulConvert To The Norse ReligionGain A Mate = Jiva TakekuroBecome a Council Member = Áðr ValdOrganise A Pack Activity = "Culling the Herd"Have Pups = Dagr SoulGain A Mate = Bran StormbringerBecome A Grandparent = Bjorn Moineau, Juno Kurosoul, & Robin MoineauHave Pups = Ahti Firebringer, Akara Firebringer, Izrian Firebringer, & Sylven Firebringer

X-tian
Luperci The gods will always smile on brave women... I Am Iron And I Forge Myself
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Aimée's nose twitched as the scent in the air shifted slightly, sensing a faint, familiar scent that didn't quite belong. She perked up a bit, gently nudging Arno with her side a few seconds before a wolf stepped out of the trees, standing tall on two legs.

He didn't stray from his mother's side, but Arno's eyes were wide with curiosity. He had seen Luperci before, but usually at a distance while moving; most strangers they had encountered had either been avoided or driven away long before they drew close to Arno. He listened intently as they were greeted, rolling the name of what he guessed was the pack around in his head. Vinatta, it was an odd sounding word, but then that felt appropriate with how out of the ordinary this was for him.

His mother took a half-step forwards, drawing herself up as much as she could; a proud posture even with her tattered appearance. “I am Aimée Rousseau and this is my son, Arno.”she said, slow and smoothly. Her English was far from bad but when she pronounced the names her voice noticeably changed, slipping into a foreign, more comfortable tongue. The next words were slow coming, and there was an obvious tinge of hurt pride to them. “We seek a home, and were hoping that we could find one here.”

Arno didn't say much but when he was mentioned he stuck his head out from his mother, ears twitching shyly as he uttered a quiet “Hello.” He had the same accent as his mother; but it was not quite as strong, and he sounded much more comfortable speaking English that her.
Arno Rousseau
Now it's time to say goodbye, To the things we loved, And the innocence of youth.

Alex
Luperci Craftsman

POSTED: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

+324

Their french accents gave her pause and the slightest shudder ran down Palaydrian’s spine, but a warm smile curved at the corners of her mouth, the rest of her body staying neutral, gloved hands relaxed at her sides. She had not thought of Aedan for quite some time now, but a brush of his native tongue had her lapsing back to their last difficult conversation. He was nothing to her now, a blemish in her memory though he’d given her the gift of Dagr. These thoughts of course were pushed away, the two stragglers were looking for a home.

Upon closer inspection, Drin realized the proud female of silvers and whites was quite old and the outline of ribs could be seen beneath her dull coat. Arno was not much better off, though it was clear he garnered more muscle than the slight figure beside him. It was clear Aimée was struggling to provide for both herself and son, a pang of embarrassment lancing through the tall viking, as her own body spoke of the meals she consumed and the sustenance she was able to obtain each day.

The Aor Vald felt for them in that moment, but at the same time needed to gain some more trust, they were strangers after all, and Vinatta’s borders had been breached more than once. Still, the female’s plight tugged at Drin’s heartstrings, Arno looked to be not much older than her own son, Dagr.

Aimée, Arno, my name is Palaydrian Soul, she provided after making eye contact with both of them and nodding her head, thinking to herself that the gods surely smiled upon the strangers today, as Vinatta’s borders had recently reopened. What could you offer the pack in exchange for a home? The siamese female asked, following the usual protocol though her hormones begged for her to take both of them in.

Ascend to A Chosen Path = ValdEarn A Co-Rank = FalconerEarn A Co-Rank = MedicEarn A Co-Rank = ApothecaryCelebrate A Norse Holiday = OstaraTrade With Another Pack = Sangi'lakTeach The Aeska = Valerian CoeurHave Pups = Tyris Kurosoul & Taro KurosoulConvert To The Norse ReligionGain A Mate = Jiva TakekuroBecome a Council Member = Áðr ValdOrganise A Pack Activity = "Culling the Herd"Have Pups = Dagr SoulGain A Mate = Bran StormbringerBecome A Grandparent = Bjorn Moineau, Juno Kurosoul, & Robin MoineauHave Pups = Ahti Firebringer, Akara Firebringer, Izrian Firebringer, & Sylven Firebringer

X-tian
Luperci The gods will always smile on brave women... I Am Iron And I Forge Myself
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Aimée's expression was stony as she looked over Palaydrian, pausing for a heavy moment while she considered her words. When she spoke her words were gruff, the act of admitting weakness almost painful to her “My body has betrayed me, but my mind has not. I was- am a skilled hunter, and I know ways to bring down two legs while on four. I can no longer do, but I can teach, pass on what I know.” she paused, giving her tail a brief, singular wag into Arno's side. “My son is young, strong, mouldable. He learns quickly, and offers potential.” Arno's chest puffed up on pride at the words, and he felt inspired to speak up properly for the first time.

“Yeah, I can learn wha'ever you want! Ma's teachin' me to hunt.” he said, tail wagging behind him. His speech was different to Aimée, much less formal, more adapted to the language he spoke, but it still held a tinge of the same accent as her.
Arno Rousseau

Alex
Luperci Craftsman

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:26 am

+436

It was an odd sensation to bar the older female and her son outside of Vinatta’s lands of safety, but a necessary precaution at the moment. While Drin kept her eyes on the dull furred female and occasionally glanced over the mixed boy, her nose kept scenting the air for traces of other canines, perhaps souls with malcontent who were simply using the elder and the youth as a decoy for some greater evil, but the two loners only smelled of each other and the passing woodlands that hugged the borders. The smelled of the summer heat and acrid air, a hint of starvation, and desperation on their coats as well as in their eyes.

Palaydrian could recognize the determination in Aimée’s eyes, she was a proud soul, and probably had gotten along fine by herself all those years, but now she had shown up at this packland’s borders, seeking help from others. She was proud, and if this had been somewhere else, namely New Dawn, Drin might have bristled at her insubordination, but all that filled the siamese female’s eyes was sympathy and understanding. This wasn’t easy for the Rousseau female, but she wouldn’t have led her son here if it weren’t imperative.

All these were assumptions of course, but Palaydrian liked to think she was a good judge of character, her head tilted to the side when Aimée spoke for both of them, a slight grin forming when Arno added his two cents. Aimée had admitted her shortcomings, and that took a lot of bravery. Already this aging stranger had earned some of the Aor Vald’s respect. Vinatta is a relatively peaceful pack, but our young Araedi, the defenders and fighters of the pack, could possibly benefit from such a teacher, the ocean eyed viking replied with an affirming nod.

Her gaze shifted back to Arno, still so young and with a whole life ahead of him yet. Her smile was still in place as she wondered about his lopped off ears, and who could be so cruel to do such a thing, but Drin didn’t believe Aimée would’ve done it, for the moment she appeared to be a doting mother and one that yearned for safety. If hunting is your call, I could further train you, Drin continued, only hinting at her status within the pack. Where have you two come from? The viking asked, curious if they had heard of Vinatta from somewhere else or if it had simply been chance that they wound up on the borders.

X-tian
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:23 pm

There was a subtle relaxing to Aimée's body language as the conversation went on and more and more time passed without them being turned away. Arno was feeling much more comfortable now and had left his mothers side to get a better look at Palaydrian, slowly inching forwards. Aimée cast him a sideways glance but didn't say anything.

“Originally, I hail from France, across the sea.” Aimée stated, “But I have spent most my life travelling. Arno has never been to France, he was born some distance south of this place. I believe the humans used to call it 'Carolina'.” The last sentence had a dismissive air to it, making it clear that Aimée herself didn't much care what humans had called the place where Arno had been born.
Arno Rousseau

Alex
Luperci Craftsman

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44 pm

+322

Surprise registered in the Aor Vald’s eyes, she’d assumed Aimée was one of the travelers from the North, a French Canadian like Aedan, but the silvery white female claimed to have sailed over the ocean. It wasn’t unheard of, Drin had met a few others who had come to Freetown and the rest of the Souls territory via boat, but she herself had never set foot on one, let alone would know what a boat actually looked like. The sea was so vast and treacherous, she couldn’t imagine traversing the waters for days on end without land in sight. The thought made her shudder, but her head bobbed while she listened, learning that Arno wasn’t from Aimées’s mother country, but had been born in one of the territories here.

She gave a slight shrug at the mention of “Carolina”, and a gentle laugh, it’s name foreign on her tongue, but she had no reason to think Aimée would lie. It was clear she didn’t care much for the moniker’s humans had used in the past, and that too garnered the older woman some more respect. Drin had hailed from a natural pack and it wasn’t until the past year and half that she’d actually grown more accustomed to a life as one of the luperci. She adopted a more humanized lifestyle, but the beasts who’d destroyed their own world held no fascination for her, Drin would always believe they were monsters.

It was clear in Palaydrian’s mind’s eye that Aimée was done traveling, and she saw no real reason to turn the two away. She hadn’t smelt sickness on them or a lick of danger. I don’t think the two of you need to roam anymore, Drin stated with a warm smile, Do you have any questions for me? The Aor Vald asked, hoping she could answer any queries they might have.

X-tian
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Arno tried to keep himself still and neutral, but it was hard for him to hide his lifting spirits and even if most of his body was stiff and mimicking his mother, the tail swaying gently back and forth behind him gave him away. The concept of this place possibly being their new home didn't mean that much to Arno, he'd never really had a home to compare it to. He wasn't thinking about things right now in terms of settling down somewhere, but in somewhat simpler terms, survival. Arno wasn't aware of absolutely everything that went on like his mother seemed – to him at least – to be sometimes, but he was far from stupid. He had seen his mother wasting away the past few weeks, and understood full well that this pack was the best hope for her, and what it would mean for them if they were turned away.

And so, it was all he could do to hold back a yap of happiness at Palaydrian's words. Even then, a quiet, undeniably happy squeak slipped out of his lips and the thump of his tail against his mother's leg was almost audible, drawing a brief look of amusement from the woman before she turned back to their blonde-furred saviour. “Thank you.” she said, dipping her head in a brief, thankful motion before pausing as she thought of what to ask. “Any information you would care to share about the pack, about how you live would be helpful. Are there many like us in the pack, non-shifters? Are there any children near Arno's age?” That drew an interested and happy glance from the boy, his ears perking at the thought of being with someone the same age as him, something that the traveling life hadn't really given the opportunity for. Arno's ears were perked and his eyes fixed on Palaydrin as he waited for her to talk. Aimée was equally attentive, though her interest was more general.
Arno Rousseau

Alex
Luperci Craftsman

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:43 pm

+337

The relief that followed Palaydrian’s words was almost tangible, a burden surely lifted off of Aimée’s shoulders and the Aor Vald allowed her smile to broaden, her head dipping in welcome. Her duties weren’t all about scouting and hunting down prey for the pack, sometimes she could change someone’s life just by hearing them out and giving them a shot. These were the types of days and memories she liked holding onto, the warm memories made happy because of her choice. Arno and his mother had come looking for a home, and that was something Palaydrian could hopefully provide.

She listened to the elder female’s questions, her words revealing the casual assumption Palaydrian had pondered over earlier. They weren’t shifters, strange now, though a year ago the Aor Vald wouldn’t have batted an eye over it. It had been awhile since she’d come in contact with a natural, luperci seemed to overrun these lands now.

We call ourselves vikings and some of our members pay their respects to the Norse gods. While our religion is encouraged, it does not need to be practiced by all, she explained, happy to share what she could to their newest members. Family is very important here, she shared another smile, --we’re hardworking individuals, some fulfilling a variety of tasks while contributing to the pack when we can, and looking out for one another. You’d be our first non-shifters, but a few of our vikings prefer the more natural form, she assured.

I have a son named Dagr who looks to be about Arno’s age, but we have many youth here, the Aeska...my newest litter included, her grin returned. Come, let me give you a tour and introduce you to some of the pack. I can answer any other question you might have, along the way. She beckoned them to follow and started to walk at a leisurely pace back towards the Jordheim.

X-tian
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

Dead Topics