[M] i call the forces of nature to me

POSTED: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 am

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It contains drug usage. Reader discretion is advised.

Young birds are preparing to take their first flights. Many do not survive these, and the shock of the fall can kill them or leave them vulnerable to predators. Either observe a successful flight or find a downed bird -- feathers are extremely useful for other projects.

Private. Thread prompt + Raven Festival! Mature for drugs. :I

A second time he ventured now to Hollow's Ruins, scarce but a few days between the first and initial visit. His affinity for creatures went without saying, for Micah was a product of Juniper Peace through and through even if it was to a much lesser extent than his older sisters. At first the ravens of Inferni had frightened him, stirring suspicions and worries that they might be ruthless and cruel as if to keep up with Infernian culture, but longer experience with them proved otherwise. They were birds. Scouts and tools, yes, but still birds at their core.

And intelligent ones. Rarely had he the chance to communicate with larger birds, the more crafty and wordy of the airborne kingdom, and what they had to say intrigued him. Little to nothing could be pulled from the finches that followed him around. Micah yearned to ask why they followed him even this day, why they did not fly away to broader expanses as little birds were meant to do, but Sonata and Soprano would only tweet unidentifiable nonsense as explanation.

Knowing the Raven Festival still in full swing, Micah had left his Riperian Moors site prepared: a smoking joint between his teeth and a smile, for once not so awkward, delighting his face. His limbs did not shake, his eyes did not search for escapes, his feet did not stumble. He could handle other Infernians. Among the trees of Hallow's Ruins Micah walked, paints slung in the satchel once as before, intent to decorate again but with decreased anxieties due to the bones as canvas.

Instead he watched a fledgling plummet from its nest, and dropped all accessories at once to rush to its aid with his two finches in tow.

Not again.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Awwww yiss. And wow long post out of nowhere hi. o_o;;;

Twine and bones and baubles dangled from slim hands as Vesper strode through the dark grove. She was not much of a decorator and didn't have enough dexterity with rarely-used hands to craft trinkets and other things -- but she could, at least, hang them. She'd spent enough time climbing the charred trees to get closer to her birds or simply sit out on a thick limb so she could go undisturbed for a few hours. Soon the taller branches would be rattling with each breath of wind, clacks of bones to match the croaking of birds.

She paused, glanced up at one branch bare of decoration. Some had been spattered with red paint, from others hung birdhouses, and still others sported various decoration as a sign of thanks to the ravens -- acknowledgement that they, and this part of the woods, belonged to Inferni. Sparrow had used damaged or weak rope unsuited for tying horses or hoisting things to wrap around trees and tie bows and other ornate knots around branches. She'd made the things in Vesper's hands, too -- bits of scavenged bead and crude whittling tied with a squirrel skull as a centerpiece. The other had a few bird-shaped carvings from Asher, tied neatly on.

Vesper grinned, taking the hanging decorations between her teeth, and jumped at the tree. Claws hooked into dark bark as she pulled herself upward, muscles she did not often use aching as she pulled herself to the branch. She sat on top of it, pushing hair back from her face -- she'd brushed it down into a more girlish style, since she was spending so much time bipedal -- and began to work to tie the things onto the branch, wishing she had her sister's deftness of hand and mastery of knot.

She paused, jamming the rope against a protrusion of bark as insurance if her knot failed (as if the ravens wouldn't whisk half these decorations away for their nests and tricks), and glanced out through the leaves. She spotted a dark coyote and drew in the scent of smoke familiar enough around Inferni -- then pricked her good ear when he suddenly cast aside his goods and ran.

Vesper hopped down with a grunt, rising and trotting after Micah until she spotted the feathered thing in the grass. At once, she called out -- a raven's short noises of reassurance, concern, or perhaps loss. She'd not perfect mastery of their dialect but knew the sounds Stark made when he fussed over her, and she uttered them quietly now as she went to her knees beside the fledgling.

She reached for it -- but it hopped back up onto its feet, wobbly and dazed, but soon flapping its wings erratically. Relieved, Vesper shot a grin at Micah.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:24 pm

"Vesper," he said only after the little raven showed no signs of crippling and relief had spread a smile on his face. Soprano touched down on his shoulder. "Heh, um. False alarm, right?"

She had appeared fast like the twinkle of a star, and from where he did not know; the approach of the Inferni Centurion did not alert until she was at his side. Micah knew the ravens of Inferni associated often with Vesper and found no reason to instruct her not to touch the fledgling. After all, she had retracted reaching fingers the moment the raven upturned and wobbled and regained its feral instincts without apparent pain.

The Lykoi sank back on his heels, hands in his lap as he watched the bird a moment longer as it flapped and flailed about in attempts to return to the sky.

A moment's realization later, Micah pulled the joint from between his lips and held it shamefully in his fingers, rising to his feet with all the visible fear and anxiety of a child caught cheating by his teacher.

"Umm," he mumbled, not knowing her thoughts on the drug or if he had unwittingly embarrassed himself. Out of all the faces he had smoked for for the sake of preparation, Vesper was not one of them. He liked her. He wanted to impress her. And he was off to a bad start in doing so, even if the drug numbed the usual anxiety. "Uh, hope this is okay."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 pm

ugh t his post is lame sorry ;C

See galleries for credit.

Micah smiled mirrored relief, and Vesper nodded with a glance at the raven -- dazed and frustrated, hopping along the ground. It was a death sentence for most other birds, but few predators threatening to ravens lurked Inferni's borders; the presence of the coyotes made certain of that. Its parents would feed it, meanwhile, and it might climb and flap its way back into the trees.

Vesper straightened as Micah did, eyes dropping from the finch on his shoulder to the joint in his hands. He awkwardly mentioned it, and Vesper stared blankly at him a few moments before uttering a short "ha" of realization and shaking her head. No. It's fine. Unless someone got themselves wasted and were a mean drunk, she didn't see the danger of substances. She'd bummed cigarettes and smoked other things with clan mates before.

Equally self-conscious, deciding she'd wait until later to ask him for a drag, the Centurion instead pointed her muzzle at the finch. Nice little birdie, she remarked, sharp teeth flashed teasingly at the dark coyote. It seems to like you.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:52 am

He relaxed visibly when given permission to smoke and placed the joint back between his teeth without further thought. At present the drug was working its charm, and what might have ordinarily terrified him—such as smoking before his friend and leader or the condition of the fallen fledgling—were allowed to proceed as normal. As it bobbed about in the dirt the raven appeared fine, he decided then, whereas in a normal mindset Micah might have fussed and insisted to see its wings and legs.

Relaxed anxieties or not, however, he did not offer a drag on the joint. Such an action was assuming enough to be rude, the Lykoi surmised, not numb to manners. Never before had he seen her in two-legged form before, and Micah questioned if she transitioned often enough even to experiment with a cigarette between her fingers.

When prompted the coyote glanced to the little brown sparrow on his shoulder and smiled. "Another fallen fledgling, actually," he said, startlingly peaceful. "Her nest fell, and something got one of the parents, I think. I tried to fix her brother's broken leg with a little clay, although I'm not sure how well it worked."

He glanced the canopies a moment, sluggish eyes dragging a search though in those moments he considered many things in his fast-moving mind. Least of all he wondered where the red sparrow had gone.

"You don't have to stay to watch the raven," he said, backtracking a moment to retrieve his fallen satchel. From distance he wagged a can of spraypaint from the dirt at her. "I came here to paint for the festival anyway. I'll keep an eye on the raven until it can get off the ground again. I'm sure you've got stuff to do." A modest smile.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:58 am

I would assume she'd notice the stuff he's painted, unless he's hiding it or something. xD; Lemme know if I need to change anything.

Micah, king of downed fledglings, puffed his joint and claimed to have fixed the finch's sibling's leg. The clumsy-fingered Vesper's eyes widened at this, glancing at the tiny leg of the bird perched on his dark shoulder. You made a clay -- cast? she ventured. How? Beyond convincing the little bird to keep still, she didn't know how one would roll clay around such a small limb. She knew the clay from the rivers would harden and bake in sunlight -- had discovered this as a youth, to her chagrin, after it crusted on her spindly legs and fur -- but it was like magic, anyway. Luperci things. Beyond her.

The flecked coyote returned to his satchel and produced an odd can, mentioning paint. More and more curious about the anxious clan mate she'd accepted more out of pity than high hopes for performance, Vesper shook her head. I'll stay with you. I'm just decorating right now; until someone calls and needs me, I'm free. She grinned at him and gestured to the can. So, until then -- you can show me how you paint things? I've seen a few shapes put up around the territory -- like that raven. Was that you?

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:51 am

"Well, I just..." Micah hesitated, then made a swiping motion at the sparrow on his shoulder as if to grab it open-palmed and full-fingered at once. The bird swept off his person in surprise and darted into the trees, but the Lykoi seemed to think nothing of it. "I just grabbed him in one hand and rolled it around his leg with the other. He didn't like it." There had been much shrieking and twitching and biting involved, and the hazy Micah smiled through the memory. "Then I held onto him until the sun hardened it enough that he couldn't pull it off. I wasn't really sure it would work."

As the Centurion made mention to remain and asked him about painting, the little brown Soprano returned to his shoulder. He did not seem to notice.

"Oh— yes, that's mine," said the Lykoi as he returned to her side, fingers weaving modestly together across his belly. With aid of the drug he did not devolve into the humble, self-demeaning mess he so typically was on the subject. Instead he thought of Singe and smiled. "I, uhh, I hope that was all right. If it's not, I'll... cover them up, or something."

"I was actually showing Singe how to paint at the time." Patiently he leaned into his satchel and handed her a spraycan from within, bright red in color and the same used by her fellow painting apprentice. "You can't use these in your normal form, but, umm, you just put your finger on the button here and press. It's hard to find cans that still work, though, so it's best not to waste the paint."

He looked around his feet. "I think there might be some bones Kára left over to try on."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:56 pm

stoned micah = my fave cutie

Vesper's eyes widened as the other swiped a paw at the bird, as if to grab it -- but it was effortless and without reward, and drew a smile to her face along with the imagery of a pissed little bird struggling in its savior's grasp. The incident didn't seem to have scarred its sibling, who took into the trees but returned after a time to his shoulder. Well -- guess we have our bird medic, she said, and tossed a teasing smile at him.

She lifted her hands to yield his apologies, though he did not seem to stumble over himself in anxiety and uncertainty as before. No doubt the drug had some cause; Vesper didn't feel so troubled on the rare occasions she smoked, and wondered if the habit was worth risking Myrika's ire. She didn't think her mate would care -- but dependency was another thing. And she was a leader -- proper. Sometimes.

It's fine. I enjoy them -- especially the raven one. They add a bit of color to the Waste. Blacks and reds, at least -- but the decorations going up around the trees were still decoration. It wasn't the same as the tree Vesper remembered from Cercatori d'Arte, but it was celebration. It did not need to be bright and joyous when joy was inherent in the creation.

She reached to hold the spraypaint can, curious at the little noise inside -- which repeated when she wiggled it a little. Her finger caressed the button on top but did not press, not wanting to waste a substance so unrenewable. She almost felt guilty about wanting to try her hand at it at all; why waste such precious paint on an apprentice's efforts? She frowned, but Micah seemed untroubled -- so selfish curiosity won out.

Okay -- yeah. She wandered in search of the things left behind, then stooped and grasped a bone -- a spine of some sort, rabbit or squirrel. She set her tongue between her teeth and hoisted it in one hand, her other hand awkwardly holding the can -- and pressed.

Then shrieked, when a pitiful puff of spray emerged and coated her shoulder and breast in crimson paint.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:39 am

"Bird medic? Oh, no." Micah chuckled and shrugged, nonchalantly unpacking can after can from his satchel. One harmlessly tipped; he noticed his surprising lack of urgency to upright it thanks to the calm of the drug between his teeth. "I wouldn't be any good at that. Most of the ravens don't really like me, anyway."

He could not blame them if it were true. Micah was not the type of Infernian the birds were accustomed to. They might have enjoyed his doting, given he could edge close enough, but tasks often allotted to the ravens as assistants he preferred to perform himself. He was not the most useful of members, he knew, and often found himself desperate to prove himself of more utility to the clan than birds.

"Thank you," he replied, humble to the compliment. "I mean, I have you to thank for allowing me the freedom to paint, so... thank you."

A moment later the leader shrieked, and when his eyes returned to her they soaked in full a glaringly scarlet color coating her person. Putting hand to mouth he stared, stunned and unresponsive a moment. An ordinary Micah would have descended into apologetic babbling and begs for forgiveness and shameful attempts to excuse himself from her company. The Micah at present, however, stared in horror before merely dropping his gaze.

"I should have been more specific," he said, cursing himself, and blamed the joint that he plucked at once from his lips for the unattentive daze that crippled his instruction. "I'm, I'm sorry, Vesper, it's my fault. The button, it has a little hole where the paint comes out. It can be hard to notice, and..."

He sighed, frowned at the joint, then offered it to her dismissively. "I need to get rid of this. You can have it if you want, else I'm going to stomp it out."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics