beauty lays behind the hills

AW for 1 [DND]

POSTED: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49 am

This thread was private but never responded to, so it is now all-welcome for one and dated early September. ^^

Weary of stonework but eager for productive activity Farina took to the stables near Grand Lake, spending a time with arms folded as she surveyed one of the front wooden doors that she recalled as broken for some time. A novice carpenter she was at best, Farina knew herself unskilled for the labor at hand but strong enough still to gather suitable wood for replacement by another packmate.

She felt the sting of nostalgia: It was a shame that Saul was gone. With his woodworking skills, uncle and neice could have worked on the door together.

Surveying the doors long enough and utterly clueless what types and size of wood would be needed to shave down into proper shape, Farina took to the forest and began a pile of scavenged limbs thick enough to possibly suit. In actuality, she was a rookie; busy and experienced as she might have looked hauling heavy sticks to and fro throughout the forest bed, the vin Haki hadn't the slightest if any wood she gathered and would eventually drag to the nearby stables could be utilized or not.

But it was work, something to stretch the muscles, and that alone was good enough.

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 pm

The stable was a common place to find Aspen, doing the chores she had taken on, or just spending time with her mare, Alazne, before putting her back out in the pastures. She had not been riding much since going with Iris, though she had gone twice. Each time she went bareback and found that she liked it more than using a saddle, though she wasn't sure why.

Today, she was only doing some chores: feeding horses, mucking out stalls, and sweeping out the barn. In the middle, she noticed that someone else was nearby, though whoever it was hadn't actually walked into the barn, and so when she was finished, she started heading back towards Jordheim. On the way, though, she caught Farina's scent, and as she continued through the forest, eventually came across a pile of wood. Aspen looked at it for a moment before finally spotting Farina herself.

"H-hi, Farina," Aspen said in a quiet voice. "What um, is the wood for?" There were lots of things that needed repairing, and so Aspen wondered if perhaps that was what Farina was up to. And, maybe she wanted some help. The puppies were with Miskunn, leaving Aspen with some free time that she had been planning to use on making some arrow heads, but this might be a better way to spend the time.
Aspen

Myst
Luperci Livestock Manager + Cook + Stable Hand Head of the Starfa Tier
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
because it's all i have today
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

POSTED: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07 am

Thank you for joining. ;3;

Aspen: Yet another Vináttan of old that was not well-acquaintanced despite many moons of mutual membership and despite her lover of choice whom the vin Haki befriended long ago. Farina knew her more anxious than most and regarded her slowly and gently, in the same manner she had become accustomed to greeting the equally shy Fiora or Colibri. With a respectful nod of the head Farina acknowledged the Starfa of higher rank before shifting the weighty pile of branches higher on her person.

"Hey Aspen," she said. "Just gathering up some wood. I was going to try my hand at fixing the door to the stables, since my uncle's not here anymore to fix it."

An ear twisted, just momentarily, as if it were her only feature unable to ward off disappointment. She squared her shoulders. "I don't really know what I'm doing, though. Where's Ascher and the kids?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Now the sticks made sense, and Aspen nodded. The door definitely needed fixing if they didn't want the cold air and snow blowing into the barn come winter. She knew the horses would appreciate it while they were eating, and when it got cold enough to bring them in for a bit. She also didn't want to spend time removing the snow.

Her ears fell back when Farina mentioned Saul and Aspen nodded. Their leader was still missed in the pack, and she suspected he always would be. His skills definitely would have been useful for fixing the door, and many other things around the pack lands.

"It's-" she started to tell her it was okay when Farina said she didn't know what she was doing, but stopped as the other female asked after Ascher and the puppies. Her ears remained back and her gaze shifted to the ground in front of her. "Oh, um, well... Ascher is gone. He um, went to look for Saul." It was getting easier to repeat the words, but no easier having him gone. "Ode and Shore are with Miskunn."

She want sure what to say then; others were telling her that it would be alright, but she could only nod and pretend she believed it. She didn't want them worrying about her.

"Um, can I help with this?" She asked instead, figuring having a task would help get her mind off Ascher.
Aspen

Myst
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

POSTED: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 am

Mention of Saul discouraged her fellow Vináttan, though Farina did not regret bringing up his name or absence. The Stormbringer was beloved, an integral member of her close family and as Virding the man responsible for her safety as she was raised among the vikings. Farina would not allow his name forgotten, nor his mission—yet when Aspen mentioned Ascher departed after her uncle, the vin Haki bristled.

"What?" she boomed, though the noise restrained a moment later. "Why would he— Ascher's got you and kids here and he ran off after Saul? Saul can handle himself, damnit. What was he thinking?"

But knowing Aspen to be on the sensitive side, Farina put hands to face and massaged away the growing tension there. This was meant to be a peaceful afternoon, but learning that Ascher had run off too—Ascher, who too was beloved to her even if they interacted little since her younger months—how was she supposed to relax?

"Yeah, sure," said Farina. She held a breath, released it, and committed her temper away. "I don't really know what I'm doing. You got any ideas?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:58 pm

The outburst at the news of Ascher's departure caused Aspen to duck, ears flat against her head, shoulders hunched. She forced herself out of the cowering position as quickly as she could, though; although she was sure Farina could hold her own in a fight, she was a packmate and therefore Farina was not someone she needed to be afraid of, and Aspen new it. She nodded to the taller female's questions; they were Aspen's thoughts on the matter as well, but she also knew there was nothing she could do about it now.

"I don't know," she said quietly, almost wistfully and allowed herself to relax a bit more as she saw Farina trying to do the same. A change in subject would probably, help, and so Aspen was glad when Farina agreed to her offer to help. However, Aspen was sure that she knew even less about fixing the door than Farina did.

"W-well, um," Aspen looked at the sticks. "The current doors are um, made of boards so maybe if we get branches large enough to cut boards out of, even thin ones?" She wasn't sure if it would really work, but maybe. "And um, someone who knows how can use them to replace the um, the damaged boards?"
Aspen

Myst
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

Dead Topics