A dram of sense and an ounce of enthusiasm

Carya

POSTED: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 pm

• Word Count: 542
  • Setting:28th, morning. Woods between Futhark Falls and Jordheim.
  • Form: Wolf
:)

Arno was finally beginning to truly settle into his new home. Like many of his excursions out of the house recently Arno was wandering the woods near Jordheim, but there was a different air to him as he wandered the woods now. He wasn't just aimlessly dashing about the territory exploring for the next particularly interesting thing and ignoring everything else in-between; Arno was learning, paying attention to everything around him as much as his attention span could bear.

Part of this change in attitude was genuinely due to Arno starting to settle in, but for the most part it had been prompted by recent conversations with his mother. While Aimée still hadn't recovered enough to continue actually teaching Arno how to hunt properly, she had spent time talking over techniques and such with him, doing as much as she could to teach him without being able to demonstrate properly. One of the things she had been focusing on recently was how useful knowledge of the local terrain could be in a hunt, how knowing that one little shortcut to gain a few seconds or that one hill or bog to herd your prey towards could easily be the difference between a successful hunt and going home hungry.

Driven by the dual desires to both make himself useful to his new home and to make his mother proud, Arno had set out to diligently try and acclimatise himself to the local hunting grounds. He was focusing on a small stream that wound through the forest not far from Jordheim at the moment, mindful of his mother's advice that fresh water was never a bad place to start looking for prey. Arno's scouting was far from as effective as it could have been – for all his enthusiasm he didn't really know exactly what to look for – but it was certainly not time wasted.

As Arno padded along through the shallows of the stream his eye strayed to the deeper parts of it, where several fish flitted past. When he was younger Arno had loved harassing the fish in any streams they passed, though recently he hadn't had much of a chance to do so. A small grin spread onto Arno's face as his attention slipped onto the fish and he slowly crept towards them, hovering just above the water before abruptly snapping down at one of them.

Perhaps it was pure luck, or perhaps it was a bit of the speed that Arno's body was cultivating as it matured, but rather than a mouthful of water and the frantic splashing of a startled fish to amuse him, Arno found himself with a mouth full of blood and a rather unusual taste in his mouth. Not to mention something moving about franticly between his teeth.

Not quite realising that he had actually managed to catch the fish Arno stepped back, confused, with only his instinctual grip stopping the still struggling fish from escaping his grasp. The end effect was rather amusing; Arno stood there with his ears lowered in confusion and his eyes crossed trying to see what he was holding, the fish he had gripped by the tail still flailing and slapping him about the muzzle as it attempted to escape.

Arno Rousseau
Now it's time to say goodbye, To the things we loved, And the innocence of youth.

Alex
Luperci Craftsman
Scars strengthen the soul

POSTED: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:34 pm

She had been watching this small pup for some time now, but it wasn't mean to be weird or anything, she just happened to be in the same area as him- downwind- an noticed him come loping in with a big grin on his face. He seemed to her, an adult, who knew though. Carya placed two hands on the ground and made her stance more structured as she watched him playing in the water, or at least that is what the Starfa Rirk thought.

Swallowing the last of her jerky, she noticed he had caught a fish, and although she was beginning to grow bored watching this strange child she had never seen before, she noticed that he seemed to be dumbfounded. Chuckling to herself she stood slowly, and began to saunter towards him a big smile on her face. looks like ya caught a big 'ol whopper! she would wink at the boy, and kneel down so she was eye level with him.

now why ya lookin' like that for? she cooed, ears folding a bit and tail wagging. Was he just confused ? Or was he absolutely in shock?
Carya is always in Optime, unless otherwise stated

Carya is usually accompanied by her horses unless otherwise stated

POSTED: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 pm

• Word Count: 201
  • Setting: ---
  • Form: Wolf
---

Arno spun from his stupor as a voice sounded out from behind him, the pungent smell of the fish he held having masked their approach. Approaching him was a kind looking woman coloured in light hues, a smile on her muzzle. The woman spoke, jogging Arno's brain into actually realising when he had in his mouth.

Arno had a brief moment of triumph, followed by a moment of panic as he tried to figure out what to do with the still struggling fish. Trying and failing to think quick Arno dropped the fish, watching it flop about on the grass for a few seconds before he darted down, managing to bite it again; this time around the neck where a quick jerk of his head could bring forth a sharp crack and finally still the fish's struggling.

Tail wagging happily Arno dropped the fish again the turned back to the woman, head bowing in embarrassment as he realised what sort of first impression he must have just made. “I, uh, I never managed to catch one of them before.” he said, sounding half amused at himself and half embarrassed at being caught so far on the wrong foot when in company.

Arno Rousseau
Now it's time to say goodbye, To the things we loved, And the innocence of youth.

Alex
Luperci Craftsman
Scars strengthen the soul

POSTED: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 pm

She was excited for the boy, it wasn't every day that you got to witness another creature- let alone a puppy- capture some prey like this. Was this how her parents felt raising the four siblings like they did? She couldn't help but wonder and when she felt that smile and chuckle press her throat and lips, she knew that being a mother was much like this.

well I say that this is a step in the hunting tier, young man! she beamed down at him, her eyes filled with knowing and gratitude for having been able to witness this. now who might ya belong to? she asked him a curious til of her head as she plopped down on her rump, tail swaying. I'm Carya Aston, but you can call me Carrie. he was new to these lands, and for that she was grateful.

when I was your age I couldn't even catch a fish! At least not with my teeth in my lupus form. she explained tail wagging.
Carya is always in Optime, unless otherwise stated

Carya is usually accompanied by her horses unless otherwise stated

Dead Topics