the world quakes in my wake

p. Jehan

POSTED: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:35 am

Stupid, she thought rather bitterly. Stupid to leave them out, even more stupid for a bird to come swooping by and eat them practically right in front of her. The cranberries had been a special find, despite being not quite ripe. She had never disliked birds, rather she had considered them nice enough, and rather impossible to catch. But today, she had decided that birds were detestable and craft creatures that moved in realms that were beyond the medic's control. So, with more annoyance than anything out she had set out into the wilderness to recover berries that had disappeared into an opportunistic bird's stomach.

They hadn't been easy to find either. She had gone out of her way and usually the red fruit was eaten away by the birds before she could get to them and thus the string of annoyances had started once again. Morty was simply glad that she did have the chance to get more for she had few other plants that helped with aching teeth and the aging canines within the pack. And their tartness was often a welcome substitute to the bitter herbs she often prescribed.

It didn't help the issue though and she made a note to never leave them out again as she marched through thorny forest pathways. The summer had brought out the worst in the blackberries as they bunched up in tendrils and stretched across already narrow paths. Scoffing again and again, she wished she had borrowed a horse and marched on her way until she got to the small patch of cranberry bushes. Annoyance aside, she was glad that there were plenty still there even though she heard the berating cries of birds nearby. Her green eyes narrowed dubiously, she went forward and began yanking berries off of the stems and stowing them away in a satchel.

what a grump, i'm sure a three legged dog will help. Late afternoon, optime, some forest somewhere. 300+

Owl
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:20 pm

I am so mad I had a decent post THEN I LOST IT then here is some poop. Jehan & Jairus are in their Lupus forms.

See galleries for credit.

The pair of loners traveled south through the forests from the burnt lands, wandering without a destination to anchor them to one path. It was what Jehan preferred; he enjoyed the independence, even if he tellingly preferred to be by Jairus' side. He needed to be, he told himself; the merchant was getting on in years, and he needed to be there in case disaster struck and Jairus broke his back. Or something.

They walked together now through the woods, the stunted mongrel trotting ahead with tail flagged high, and the leggy hybrid trailing behind. Jairus wore their duffel bag of goods; at one point they spoke of finding straps to fashion a harness of sorts for their Lupus forms, but now the singular strap of the bag dug into the fur at his neck, the hefty bag itself knocking against his flank. It necessitated Jehan scouting ahead for a path in the tangled undergrowth, though he needed to judge Jairus' height and breadth rather than his own.

The scent of smashed berries and the heckling cries of birds made Jehan grin and dart down another path, Jairus following with a low grumble. The gold-accented mutt popped his head up around some bushes to find a muscled grey-brown she-wolf angrily plucking cranberries from the nearest bush. He grinned, wicked, but before he could call out with a smart-ass charming greeting, Jairus hollered.

Will ya slow down, boy? I'm 'bout ta put this on ya, ungrateful -- hello, miss. The panting hybrid's speech changed in an instant as canary-yellow eyes darted to the curvy, strong she-wolf. He smiled, ducking his head to let the duffel bag fall and keeping it lowered in a gentlemanly bow -- while Jehan huffed and sat beside him, twisting to scratch at his side with a white hind paw.

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Her face twisted around at once and her green eyes very nearly popped from her head. Loners in them self were a rare sight to her as she kept so close to her office and those she cared for, but a loner lacking a limb nearly put her into ecstatic fits. It had been a long time since she had seen a three legged canine that she hadn't done the mutilation herself. And the area looked well healed and clean, far beyond the sawing and burning that Morty usually got into. She did her job fast though and such articulation was hard to perfect without practice.

Dropping the cranberries and lurched forward and fell to her knees, pressing her hands on either side of the three legged canine's face. "You magnificent creature!" She squawked, squeezing her hands together, she only had eyes for the multicolored dog. There were nearly tears in her eyes. "My love, you only have three legs! The removal must have been bone crushingly painful-- and the blood, lest I forget. It must have been everywhere." She released his face from her grip, wiping away a tear of excitement. And he looked so fit and young, the picture of perfect recovery.

Rising to her feet, she was a blaze with energy as she moved back and forth. "You have to describe how it was removed, unless you were simply born without it but what kind of procedure is that. But how fascinating." She grinned indulgently, "I'm Morty, medic at a nearby pack, but less about me and more about you and your lack of limb." The medic pressed her hands against her face and she sighed like a wonder struck child. How wonderful the world was, where three legged dogs stumbled upon exuberant amputations providers.

OOC 300+

Owl
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:43 am

--Again, Morty is perfect. You play her so awesomely and really faithful to how I conceived her. <3 (Jairus physically cannot be mean to a lady. MA'AM NOW I SAY MA'AM)

See galleries for credit.

The she-wolf's eyes bulged, and Jehan set his ears flat and began to pull one of his snarky comebacks for whatever nasty comment she was about to make. He was used to all the names -- cripple, freak; even "you poor thing" stung after a while.

"You magnificent creature" was a new one, though.

Jairus was caught between a growl and laughter when she suddenly clasped Jehan's face in her hands, squeezing his cheeks, fluff sticking from between her fingers. He shut an eye at the pressure and began to mumble something that rhymed with butt the duck until she mentioned pain and blood.

Yep. He remembered that, all right.

A sudden silence and a lost look on his squished features set Jairus immediately on edge, though the psychotic female released him and began to pace and gush about amputations. It might have made Jehan laugh, if he wasn't caught up in the question.

The leggy hybrid shoved his way in front of the smaller mongrel, his posture stiff and his eyes narrow now. Ma'am, he said, tone angry but flat. Ain't you got shame? Look at this poor boy -- he don't wanna remember that! Of all the rude, invasive --

No, it's okay, interrupted a smaller voice, and Jehan peered at the one named Morty. Her questions were rude, invasive -- but not ill-meant. The glee coursing through her body seemed genuine, and she only wanted to hear a story. She didn't seem possessed by anything more than a kind of perverted excitement. He frowned, the energy still gone from his face though he no longer looked on the verge of manly tears or anything -- and Jairus stepped back, still bristling.

I'm Jehan, the small dog said. When I was very little, a demon possessed the body of my mother. I was caught -- wire -- and she. He stopped there, shut his eyes. Bit it. Clean through. And she named me. I didn't have a name before. I wasn't -- strong. Now I am.

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Morty was much to wrapped up in her eagerness. She had helped with only a handful of amputations and sometimes the patients were simply not strong enough to survive the procedure. Others succumbed to infection, all of them remaining in Morty's mind to this day. But to see a canine so well recovered and adjusted, she was simply amazed. She wasn't even thrown by his companions interjection. It seemed that everyone simply wanted to baby those with often crippled looking features, Morty knew in her heart that a canine's will and body could adjust to just about any twist or turn in their anatomy.

"Ah, shame! I've none of that, I seek answers and I rather treat him like the amazing being he is. Not everyone can manage three legs, and look at him!" Morty grinned practically from ear to ear, she loved it. Though, in the scheme of things, she never treated the less fortunate than anything else than equals. The wolf was not into coddling those that were sore, the best thing to do was push them right back into normalcy and purpose and not allow them to think that they were lesser than anyone else.

But she was more ecstatic when he agreed to speak. With a broad smile, she quelled her excitement to be a proper good listener. Morty listened and her smile dropped into a neutral expression of intrigue and curiosity and she made sure to properly remember the story despite how crude the method. Teeth were made for tearing, not cutting clean. Morty used blades and saws, the less the damage the better they healed. "A cruel thing your mother did, my boy, but no point worrying over your limb," She said, regaining her smile, "No, indeed! Look at how big and strong you are, both you and your companion are in very good health I say. But now, pray say, where do you come from for the world and large and diverse. I must keep good records of those I meet."

Heheh, thank you! I hoped I could, I love the perverse rather inappropriate part of her. :3 300+

Owl
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:28 am

even her nice "no i am not coddling you i treat you normal" is perfecttt <3 ilu and sorry for suck post

The grey wolf's words and grin warmed Jehan's heart somewhat -- and stroked his ego, a little. His disability impacted him day to day, especially in Optime form, where one arm had a harder time making up for a missing limb than three legs, but it'd become second nature to him. His young age and miraculous survival, and the good treatment by Jairus, meant that he'd learned to cope rather well. He chuckled and said, Thanks.

Gonna give him a fat head, Jairus muttered, but his fur lay a little flatter. The tiny dog had gotten over the most of his emotions in telling the story, and breathed steady now as he listened for the woman's reply -- but the merchant watched, all the same. He didn't treat Jehan differently because he was crippled, but because he meant something to the man. He sighed, and stood a little straighter at the woman's remark on their health.

Jehan did, too, his tail wagging. Yeah. He cocked his head at her question, then shrugged a shoulder. Halifax. I was born there.

Midwest -- south, Jairus corrected. Call 'em the States, still.

Why? Jehan asked. Are you a recordkeeper for your pack or something?

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Morty was much too fascinated to concern herself with inflating his ego. She was all awe and amazement, clearly this canine had a will to survive that many others did not. Though, puppies were resilient creatures and she had seen horrible injuries recover given enough time and it was good to see their strength and agility once they regained their spirit, it if it was ever lost at all.

However, an amputation procedure on an adult was equal times likely to kill them or for them to survive. It was just mad hope and fiery passion that kept them alive and the wounds from festering. Often times the opiates that kept them away from the pain later drove them into the ground as well for few could resist the numbness that it provided from the pain of everyday life. MOrty was glad that she had never fallen to the substance that often graced her office. "Interesting! Not far from home for you but quite far for you. The states... I have only been to the northern ones, I believe." Morty had never wandered much she was one place and then she was the next and usually kept to luperci crowded places where she was needed.

"I'm no recordkeeper but I'm a curious one, I like to note special cases so that I will remember them and that others will benefit from the success of others." Morty said, thoughtfully, she had written down many cases over the years and her mentor had written many as well. "I had a journal passed to me and I will pass it to the medic that follows me. Would you like to know of some of my strangest cases?" She asked, eyes glittering. There were many that she had seen and some that she could save and others that were already laying in their grave by the time she got to them.

OOC x3 300+

Owl
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Poooop. Sorry. D:

Wandered the northern ones, too. Lot of big buildings, Jairus remarked, settling down on his haunches and scratching at his side. He clawed a tuft of fur from his ribs; it floated on the breeze and landed scattered somewhere in the grass. God had given him the curse of a dog's two-year shedding though he was mostly wolf, he'd told Jehan, who snorted but did not disagree with the idea. If God was real, he'd no problem handing out curses.

Special cases? Jehan asked, pricking his ears and grinning -- a boy and a puppy more than a man in his curiosity. Of course! Just how strange, you mean conjoined twins or one-in-a-million sicknesses, or --

Easy, boy, the hybrid growled, leaning over to snap at him. He left a string of saliva connecting his yellowed fangs to Jehan's fluffy cheek, which he quickly rubbed with a paw, grimacing.

Who passed the journal down to you? he asked, more calmly. You had a mentor?

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Morty wasn't sure if Jehan's companion liked her disliked her, though she thought it was clear that he cared for the three legged canine. If not a bit... protective, of the fellow, though Morty saw no reason for him to act in such a way. The wilderness was a hard place to tackle but it looked as though they were getting on well enough, even if there were only seven legs between the pair of them.

At least Jehan was excited in her special cases and a wide, perverse grin spread across her muzzle. She never denied a story, especially when it came to the strange, odd, and deformed. If she hadn't seen a case, it was probably written in her journal. "All that and more," She gushed, recalling a few of her favorites her memory, "There was a puppy born once, two faces. It had three eyes, two mouths and two ears. The poor thing could be considered a monstrosity... Didn't survive long either, nor did the mother though. Both fascinating and a great tragedy." She had been very young when that case had come before her, still learning under her mentor. The whole thing had horrified her at the time, for she hadn't been able to save either of them.

Now, Morty didn't let their deaths bog her down but she thought of them often. "But I've seen pustules, burns, accessory limbs, born without eyes, without front legs. Many strange deaths, but many more miraculous instances of survival." While she enjoyed the blood and stitching, it was just as rewarding to see her patients come away healthy and new. "Yes, I had a mentor once. He was a gentleman, wrote down everything, saved my neck as well. I was probably the stupidest child about, getting into fights, killing, fighting bears." She grinned toothily but sighed, "I suppose my pack had tamed me somewhat, I haven't fought in far too long." The medic turned slightly, revealing deep gashes on her back, scarcely hidden by fur.

OOC 300+

Owl
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:41 pm

292 This thread is so old but Morty is so damn awesome. Wanna wrap this up soon?

The smile that spread across the woman's face would have likely caused a grandma to faint, but Jehan only widened his eyes and stifled a chuckle in delighted anticipation of the grotesque. He had a little too much sympathy in the day-to-day to marvel, like she did, at the sorry and sick cases of the unfortunate -- but when he wanted to hear stories, he didn't want to hear about the mundane. He gobbled up new information eagerly, and while not a conventional storyteller, he was sure to relate a tale or two, especially to impress a stranger with his knowledge. He couldn't see it all, but he would damn well try to hear it all.

His face twisted from interest into a frown of pity, curious but now more upset at what the father must have felt, seeing a twisted monster born and losing his mate at the same time. Were they cursed? he asked, knowing nothing of genetics and anomalies. He made a motion to paw at the keys around his neck, swallowing. All the charms that Jairus created for expectant mothers seemed like a great investment, now.

Morty listed off the weird without much pause, and Jehan's eyes widened. He wanted to make a joke about borrowing an extra limb but found his tongue shriveled in his mouth, at least until she joked about her youth fighting bears. He quickly grinned at the sight of the scars, his tail thumping the earth behind him. You're awesome, he stated plainly.

Tough bird, Jairus agreed, grinning at her. Guess you get to see the aftermath of the fightin', at least.

What's your pack like? Do you guys not see fighting a lot? Jehan babbled.

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

Dead Topics