the game's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun

POSTED: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Miss Kali...

Rook was using that sad, annoying tone that she hated so much. He'd been using it for days now, ever since the sling had been put on her arm. She was tired of being looked at and treated like she was injured (though she was), and especially by her own dog.

Stop callin' me Miss or I'll kill ya today, I swear.

It was a habit of his he had been trying to break since following Kali almost a year ago now. Miss and Mister had been the only words he had been allowed too address superiors by when he was a slave, and he used it still as an Outsider of Inferni. He tried not to use it too often around Kali though, because she passionately detested it. He would use it accidentally at times, however.

Kali... you did not eat this morning.

I know. Go away.

Her tone did not suggest that she actually wanted him to linger, though he did hesitantly for some time. Awkward, the large dog padded off and returned twenty minutes later with a bundle of Harosheth's creating. In it was smoked bear meat, Kali's absolute favorite.

Wagging his thick, curly tail, he deposited the bag beside her and peered into her face, glancing at the shiny scar beneath her right eye, and hoped he had done good. But Kali did not look at him or seem to otherwise notice he had returned at all, and eventually Rook's tail stopped wagging and he left her to continue moping in the shade against the west-side of the mansion.

It was early still, and he would return later to see if she had eaten or not.

Cheshire
Luperci I know the devil wears a leopard coat Ghost of the Saber Tooth Tiger Tru Blood
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Kali hadn't shown up for his training again.

Micah had expected such a thing when he first joined Inferni to train beneath her, but now—now it had been months since then, and if either of the two were to be untimely, it was he. Curt and rough around the edges as she was, Kali evidenced a surprising amount of resolve for her role as his mentor and took seriously their every-third-day trainings, yet here came day six of the week and twice now she left Micah standing alone and troubled outside the mansion, questioning if he should venture in.

Her first absence he had excused by surrendering to his nerves and returning quickly to the Moors. On this second occasion he dawdled, uncomfortable and feeling exposed, increasingly fretting and pacing as the sun climbed the sky. Where was she? Had she given up on him at long last, just as he had always assumed she would? He should have known. To have a trainer was too good to be true, and one as powerful as Kali—

A dejected Rook happened past on his way back into the manor, charged at by the granite coyote with a dozen anxieties. Once the Outsider ceased in flinching from the sudden approach he seemed not in the mood for conversation and redirected the combat apprentice to the mansion's west-facing wall and departed. Micah caught the scent of Kali at once on the wind, previously undetectable if only for his nerves, and hastened in pursuit.

He nearly dropped his knife when he found her. Or, what was supposed to be her—the Kali he knew wielded rage as one wears clothing, and the bristling, despairing thing before him appeared naked in comparison.

"Kali?" asked the fidgeting Micah from a distance, simultaneously avoiding her eyes and trying to glance over her newly battered frame. "Kali, wh— what— what happened to you?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:23 pm

WE CAN BE LAME TOGETHER OK

Kali?

She didn't look up, didn't move at first.

Kali, wh— what— what happened to you?

It registered to her who this was, but it made the occasion no less a pleasure.

She groaned to life. The hybrid was tired of explaining, tired of reliving her lost battle. But this was Micah, who she had been needlessly avoiding. Actually, now that she thought about it, this was exactly why she had been avoiding him; because he would obviously be the most impressed by her loss and she did not want to tell her pupil that his teacher was—for all intents and purposes—a loser.

I got beat up, Micah, what'sit look like? she responded in resigned bitterness. I can't train ya anymore. Nothin' you kin learn from'a fighter who cain't even win. Kali refused to look up. Her orange eyes were on her feet, or on the ground at least, and her tail was curled beneath her, perhaps for the first time actually between her legs.

She waved her good arm at him. She wanted him to leave.

Cheshire
Luperci I know the devil wears a leopard coat Ghost of the Saber Tooth Tiger Tru Blood
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:54 pm

OKAY. ;3;

At the groan his ears flipped, posture withdrawing as if he faced a roaring lion in such simple sound. The bitterness in her voice thereafter both a familiar sound yet still a hollow husk of the intensity Micah had come to expect of her. It startled him to realize the change equal parts unwanted and troubling to him when it might have signified a higher clarity of mind than her rage might have ordinarily allowed, and for a long moment the Lykoi stared at his toes and fidgeted his hands.

"Well," he said after a while. It took just as long to continue the thought. "Well, I mean, that happened to me too and, and you just trained me harder."

He swallowed a fast-forming lump in his throat when he realized how Kali resembled Micah in that moment, or for at least as long as it took for her to shoo him with her good arm.

The Sanitas faltered, but remained. Was she thinner than usual? He tried to smile. "I-I mean, it's not all that bad, right? It's, umm, it's all going to heal and everything."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:16 pm

<3

He refused to depart as she bade him, a fact both irritating and enlightening. Kali wondered then if she wanted to be alone at all—though she would be loathe to admit it. Rook was simply more complying than Micah, but considering it now, she might have felt marginally more respected if he had stayed as well.

Yeah I guess, she mumbled. She'd heal up just fine. She had already demonstrated to Harosheth that she could move her injured arm well-enough, despite excruciating pain, but this was not the issue.

Orange eyes, sunk deep into her dark face, rolled slowly up towards her standing compatriot. He seemed shrunken into himself, as usual, and yet she couldn't help but think that he looked better than her. At first Kali had been angry, now she was simply resigned, dejected even. It hurt and she hoped that this was not how he felt all the time.

I'm a warrior, Micah. I fight an' I win. But they're bigger here... up north. I'm used to fightin' 'yotes an' wolves who don't know shit. I feel so... Kali drifted, pulling her gaze down again; whether she unable or unwilling to admit how she felt was difficult to tell.

Cheshire
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:58 pm

In truth Micah had expected a more retaliatory response. He refused to accustom himself with this dejected, withdrawn Kali, even for a moment in time; instead the memory would stick with him, a glimpse into the softer, less secure side he had confided in Marlowe and suspected her to possess all along.

He had met her sister, the wild but kindhearted Agrippa. He had befriended Marlowe, sly but smart and friendly. And he had trained beneath Kali, the fiercest of the triplets, and confided his weaknesses in her.

What he witnessed now was almost a fourth face for the family, one that was perhaps showing to him true but unnatural colors. Confiding in him, in its own way.

Micah was not as uncomfortable as he expected he should have been.

"I mean, I'm not really one to talk," he said, clearing his throat as he edged closer, little by little, as if ensuring each step earned her approval. "But... but maybe it's a, um, a challenge instead of a loss, you know? I mean, that's—that's why I came here in the first place. I-I was sick of losing."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:12 am

Don't try'n make me feel better, she warned him coldly, though there was a distinct lack of an edge to her tone that otherwise suggested she wouldn't enforce her own words. The lack of genuine ire in her tone bothered her the most; it felt hollow, and she realized slowly that this was exactly how she felt.

She glanced at the thick bag beside her, grease spotting the burlap in places where it had soaked through, and tied neatly with a small length of ribbon at the top. She didn't feel like she deserved the bear meat, though she had been the one to bring the black bear home, and she pushed it towards Micah with her left hand. Here's some smoked bear if ya was hungry, she informed him, ignoring a detesting rumble of her stomach as she physically distanced herself from the bag.

Marlowe could train ya, she said offhandedly, running her uninjured palm through her long, dark hair, which was not in its usual pigtails for lack of her ability to properly do them at that time. Or Agrippa.

Cheshire
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:25 am

"Why not? I-I mean, you don't really want to just, just wallow in it, do you? Is winning a fight the only thing that makes you happy?"

Micah realized first what he had said, exposed a mortified terror on his features at his own forwardness, then sunk back the shock when reasons for his empathy became clear. He was speaking to himself. He was speaking to the miserable, wallowing, anxious coyote with no friends and refusing to feel better until the errors remedied themselves. He had always known himself to be the type to drive away acquaintances before friendship could solidify, but was he too at fault for his misery? Had he been too unconsciously stubborn to turn over a new leaf sooner?

He fisted his hands, then opened them once more. When Micah moved to settle himself at her side Kali pushed at him a meal and pouted. "I'll, I'll eat if you eat," he said against his better judgment, and with a visibly shaking hand tore a strip of muscle to offer her.

Both names of her siblings were offered him as replacements, and Micah shook his head sternly as reply. From both the coyote was already learning much, various things not within Kali's range of instruction. Marlowe boasted a kind and unassuming friendship Micah struggled with understanding, while Agrippa left notes for training with Bark. He need not ask more from either de le Poer.

"Umm..." he started, looking at the ground. "Do you... do you know what you did wrong? You, you should teach me that, since—heh, um—since obviously I, I would be far more battered up than you are if it happened to me. Erm, not till our first session after you heal up, I-I mean."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:19 pm

She glared up at Micah from beneath half-lidded eyes, though refused to verbally answer his question. It was one to consider though, and as soon as she realized how infantile she was being with this win/lose situation, her gaze swiveled sideways and then dropped. Shame welled up in her chest, loathe to admit that she was wrong, even more upset by the fact that Micah was right.

Fighting had been a part of her life for so long, it was difficult to dispel the illusion that it still existed in her present company—that she always needed to be violent, defensive, and hateful.

She'd hardly noticed Micah again until he was extending a gentle hand to her, clasping a strip of smoked ursine flesh that pleasantly tickled her nose and made her hungry mouth water. She bit back the saliva, though took his offer with an assenting grunt of sorts; biting into the meat was instant gratification to her sunken belly, and Kali sighed with the realization that she had been starving.

The clipped slab was gone before Micah had started talking again, and surreptitiously she held her hand out for more. I could'a won, she muttered, not sure she wanted to talk about it, but supposing that she felt more open to discuss it with Micah than anyone else. But I lost ma balance and hit my head, she pressed the meat into her slung hand, using her good one to take Micah's hand and place it gently in the thick of her long, dark hair. There lie a hidden, still-large lump, puckered where her skin had broke and long-washed blood had coated her scalp.

She dropped her hand away, and took up the meat again, taking a bite. When I came to, I was jus' glad that lobo hadn't killed me, she mentioned after swallowing.

Cheshire
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 am

Suppressing his delight that she had eaten what was offered, Micah maintained a face of innocence as he tore her the next piece and quietly turned it over. Despite her need to eat he wished she might argue with him more, not out of wicked satisfaction but a desire to witness a more natural behavior. For as long as she remained polite, he thought, she still suffered shame and self-disgust.

He hated to see her upset. Upset in this fashion, this self-demeaning attitude without a strand of confidence that resembled his own far too closely for comfort. Kali was supposed to be his rock, his mentor, and this switching of roles stirred about anxiety in his chest as one might poke the coals of a dying fire.

Anxious by the touch of her hand and the unsettling bump under his fingers and hidden in her hair, he tried to laugh. "Sounds kind of like I'm rubbing off on you," he said, trying to make her feel better. He but made himself feel worse and dipped his head a moment in shame.

"I'm, heh, I'm glad he didn't kill you either." Reunited, his hands fidgeted among themselves in his lap, monitored by their owner in efforts to avoid the eyes of his Kali. "I, I would have lost another dear friend. I... don't know I could have stayed here."

Micah glanced at her, if only for a second. "So... what will you do now? About the, um, lobo." He hoped the word meant bear; he knew it most likely meant wolf. They were Infernians. It only made sense.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics