Caught in the rain

Lucille!

POSTED: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:39 am

OOC: Asch + horse! Optime because horse. It's raining. But mostly LOOK ASCHER WITH A HORSE.

IC:
It was a short trek to one of the most newly claimed territories, but a trek all the same. Ascher had taken the most direct route he could short of ploughing through a river or getting stuck in a marsh, but he had allowed plenty of time for rest. Being a cautious male and a novice rider, the coppery Stormbringer had been eager to grant the gentle bay beast as much rest as she required, and Alazne seemed to appreciate his frequent tending to her. It a courtship of sorts between the inexperienced rider and the horse his mate had entrusted him with for this journey further North. He was hardly the livestock carer Aspen was, but he was attentive to Alazne's needs.

It was further North than Ascher had been since his extended hunt for Saul – or Solieri, at this point they both seemed something like mythical creatures to him. The truth was he had had no need nor any burning desire to travel North in that time, but the scholar was keeping a raptor-like eye on the weather. It had rained, a half-hearted, persistent mist of drizzle which couldn't be considered a storm. Alazne kicked up sprays of water as the pair moved at a rolling canter which Asch found easier than a trot – however, the gait was also swifter and Ascher had to slow the mare every now and then to get his bearings.

For the last leg of the journey it was easiest to follow the river. Horse and rider enjoyed a leisurely pace as the grey day drifted into twilight, and still the drizzle fell. Ascher was beginning to wonder if he'd be better off at home in the warm with Aspen and his children, but with the destination so close he felt compelled to press on.

Finally, a twitch of his nose and ears heralded the pack's borders up ahead, a host of intriguing smells and shapes which were difficult to make out in the half light. Drops of water slid off the Vinattan's nose as he dismounted, standing close to the mare's shoulder and offering a rub beneath the damp clump of a forelock. “Well, I suppose it's about time we got to know the neighbours, hm, Alazne?” Ascher murmured, trying to wipe the look of longing for home and warmth from his face before he turned it upward to let out a gentle howl. From there Asch moved stiffly to Alazne's flank and began to remove the pack which was tied there, containing an assortment of food and herbs he had personally foraged.

[433]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Rain. Lucille hated rain. More specifically, she hated rain like this where all it did was drizzle. Her long fur tended to get very frizzy, and was neither completely wet nor dry. She wanted nothing more than to be inside the cabin she and Gus shared. But no, she was out doing one last patrol for the day.

Her fur was puffed rather comically and she shook it out, annoyed with the damp feeling. She used a spear as a walking stick; she was learning to use it with lessons from Gavin. He was able to give pointers, although the spear was not his area of expertise. It was more Gus's but lessons between the two of them often ended in either a fight or other more fun extracurriculars. Or both. But not much learning. Eventually, Lucille knew that she would need to learn from Gus or maybe even Finlay.

The sound of an unfamiliar howl broke the relative silence and Lucille paused while pinpointing its direction. It was a bit difficult for her to do with her floppy ears, but a few moments later, she turned and headed the direction she was pretty sure it had come from. Really who was out in weather like this?

She jogged along the border, already across the river that divided part of their territory before emptying into their lakes, and soon enough she came upon a new male canine. Lucille glanced him and his horse over as she shook out her fur again and reached up to at least smooth down her hair before stepping into view.

"Hello, you've reached the borders of Krokar. I'm one of the Captains - leaders - Lucille. How can I help you?" She asked, resting the end of her spear on the ground. It was originally one of Gus's and became hers, so it was as long as she was tall.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:04 am

Anxiety crept in around Ascher as he waited, and soon he was battling the urge to dart for cover before anyone could find him standing at the borders like a drowned rat. He was glad of the haircut Aspen had given him; although the locks still clung doggedly to his cheekbones and brow, they had at least been snipped to a manageable length. When Ascher lifted a hand to peel the sodden tendrils from his face, they stayed in place quite reliably until he moved. He didn't want to appear too wooden, though, so he kept his hands busy with patting the bay mare.

Another rhythm and timbre mingled in with the patter of the rain, not quite harmoniously. Ascher's ears swivelled towards the noise before his head turned, his azure eyes narrowed against the rain. The figure came into view, a shaggy mixture of greys and white with mismatched eyes and a spear grasped in one hand. The spear was nearly as tall as she was, though its straightness accentuated the woman's curves, aided by what Ascher guessed would be a good deal of fluff had her pelt been dry.

Lucille introduced herself as a Captain, which seemed appropriate in this weather. Ascher bent into a deep bow, allowing several drops of rain to cascade from the bridge of his muzzle. When he straightened up he was blinking water from his eyes. Swallowing, the Vinatta responded in a voice which sounded forced – purely because he was usually a quiet speaker and had to adjust his volume according to the rain: “My name is Ascher Stormbringer – I'm from Vinatta, to the South East,” he began. “I apologise for dragging you out into the rain – I was hoping to offer you some food and herbs from further South. I'm a scholar and healer of my pack and hoped they'd be useful to you.” Ascher closed his mouth then to avoid his teeth from chattering, but his lips pursed for a moment before he added: “I'll admit I'm also curious.”

[341]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:17 pm

OOC: feel free to PP them across the river, however vaguely you want. x3

IC:
Lucille watched as the male bowed, a response she was not accustomed to, though she said nothing to that. She listened then to his introduction, and was unsurprised to find another Vinattan at their border. His scent confirmed his story; he certainly carried the pack smell along with his own personal one. Another visitor from Vinatta was a good sign, in her opinion, and she would need to make sure that someone from her own pack was returning the favor; she did not want them to seem selfish in the eyes of their neighbors, receiving gifts without bringing any in return. She and Gus had visited themselves, but she wanted to continue building a good relationship.

She nodded to his explanation of why he was here and what he had brought for them; food was always a good gift. Herbs were not something Lucille found to be particularly useful, but luckily there were others in the pack that did not share that opinion.

“I am sure someone here will put them to good use, thank you,” she told him honestly. Pepper would probably like the herbs; Lucille planned to add what he brought to the communal store to share with the entire pack. “No reason to keep standing here in the rain, please, come with me,” Lucille said gesturing into the pack lands as an invitation to enter. She turned then and started heading towards Fiskebyn, or more directly, to one of the river crossings they had set up, which was marked by brightly colored flags so that they were easy to find.

“We will have to cross a river to get to our village,” Lucille warned Ascher as they neared it. “It is not too wide, you’re welcome to ride your horse across if you wish, or ride with me on the raft if she’ll walk willingly.” She would be taking one of the rafts, which could hold two Luperci easily, but not the mare he had with him.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 am

Above the noise of the lashing rain, Lucille thanked Ascher for the small tokens of friendship he'd brought. They were taken in the spirit he had hoped, with a mention of the herbs being useful to one of the pack members. Ascher smiled, though his lips felt half frozen, and again dipped his head. His head remained bowed against the rain as Lucille explained that there was a river to cross to get to the village. “Thank you,” he responded, coaxing Alazne forward. Luckily, the mare went easily and seemed none the worst for the sudden soaking.

While Ascher wasn't exactly afraid of water, the idea of the deluge turning into a storm made him uneasy – as did the idea of riding Alazne across the river. He'd rather not expose his lack of riding ability in front of a leader, even if Lucille seemed like she wouldn't say anything about it, so he opted to sit on the raft with the shaggy-haired female while Alazne walked to one side. This way of travelling was one of those things the scholarly Stormbringer only had theoretical knowledge of, but he tried to appreciate the experience. As the raft slid across the water, the Vinattan explained that the Grand Lake was the largest body of water within his home territory, that they had shared the shores of it for some time, and he had seldom had the opportunity to go out on it – explaining away his weaknesses, as usual. “I've rarely ventured this far North,” the Viking admitted, squinting to see what was ahead.

Asch perked up substantially once they were in the home stretch, and he managed to prise his fingers away from the edge of the raft to offer Alazne a gentle pat. “Good girl,” he murmured. Ascher stepped off the raft as soon as he could without seeming too eager, and though he doubted Lucille needed any help disembarking, he offered a hand anyway before straightening to take in this new side of the river.

[300+]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:38 pm

The trip across the river was slower than Lucille would otherwise have pushed them across with the end of her spear, but she didn’t want to scare the unfamiliar horse. Had it been Tiro, she’d have made him pull them, but she was not sure of this mare’s abilities. Once across, she accepted Ascher’s hand and then pulled the raft up onto the shore for the next canine to use.

The rain only seemed to get heavier and Lucille was ready to get out of it, but there was still the rest of the trip back to the village. At least Ascher didn’t seem like one who wanted to dawdle.

“I’ve traveled all over, but this place seemed rather nice,” she told him. The south seemed so foggy, where the land met the sea. She couldn’t imagine living with that all the time, even if it would be nice to have access to the ocean. Their canoes and rafts certainly wouldn’t be able to navigate it, but just to smell the salt and remember sailing across it herself, except for the part where it ended in a shipwreck.

“We’re nearing our village, Fiskebyn,” Lucille said and she let out a doggish howl, calling for Hazel to meet them, and as they got to the edge of the overgrown town, she was standing under a tree waiting.

“This is Hazel,” Lucille said, introducing her to Ascher. “She’ll take care of your horse. We have a stable where she’ll have her own stall.” Hazel smiled and reached out to take the reigns, letting Ascher get anything he wanted from the saddle bags. “We have a house for you as well,” Lucille said after a few moments. “One of your packmates, Carya, has stayed in it as well.” The sheepdog lead the way to the unused Luperci-built house that was quickly becoming their guest house.

Myst
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:30 pm

The journey across the river was taken at a leisurely pace, thanks to Ascher being rather more worried about returning Alazne in perfect condition than was probably appropriate, considering he was with the leader of a new and interesting pack. There were a million questions he could ask, but he was torn between letting loose his curious mind and awareness of the fact that there could be far more comfortable venues for an illuminating chat. The Vinattan smiled through lips half-frozen with cold, and told Lucille, “I would be very interested to hear about your travels some time.”

Ascher nodded and committed the name of the village – Fiskebyn – to memory, turning his blue eyes ahead of them to watch the shore roll up. It was wild, overgrown, and difficult to see much of the village itself in such dreary weather, so Asch couldn't give the collection of houses a genuine compliment – and he refused to make one up. Lucille's head was surely not full of air, and she would likely know it was disingenuous.

They were met at the village by another doggish woman, although she wasn't nearly as long-haired as Lucille's mop-like fur. “Pleasure to meet you,” Ascher said, having to raise his voice a little since the rain had picked up. “This is Alazne,” he motioned to the mare before dipping his head to Hazel and moving to collect what he needed from the saddlebags – his gifts for the Krokarans, most crucially.

Ascher nodded again, hefting the gifts under his arms and thanking Hazel before he followed Lucille towards the house he would be staying in. He grinned at Carya's name; Ascher had always been fond of the somewhat troubled girl, and it didn't surprise him to hear that she had already made the trip up here. “Thank you, Lucille, for your hospitality. I'm sure Vinatta would return the favour should any of your packmates want to visit.”

Asch could hardly wait to escape the rain which now seemed to be coming down in sheets, but he didn't hurry inside; he was far too polite, and he still had something to mention to Lucille. “Did Carya tell you about her responsibilities in our pack? My mate – Aspen – also cares for the livestock, and I know she'd be keen to set up a breeding programme.” Ascher blushed, unaccustomed to asking things so directly.

[400]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:32 am

"Of course," Lucille said to Ascher; she certainly wouldn't leave their guests out to make a camp somewhere in the territory. It was partially due to the desire to be a good host, but also because she liked to know where the outsiders were, and if they weren't were she expected them to be, she would know sooner with them staying in the town. It helped that he was from a pack she had become familiar with, so she did not expect him to cause any trouble.

She was a bit surprised that Ascher did not head right into the house she had designated for him. The house was fine, so she was not sure why, until he spoke again, talking about Carya, and then his mate and a breeding program. Lucille thought it sounded like a good idea, something for the more livestock-minded members of the pack to consider, although she would certainly give it her blessing.

"A breeding program sounds like a good idea," Lucille said. "We have a few animals to breed. It really depends on what animals your mate wants to get set up.” She stepped to the door and opened it so that they could talk inside if he had other questions for her as well. “I’m not really big on taking care of the livestock, so it’s something to discuss maybe with Hazel.” She’d be able to help him more when it came to livestock and setting up something like that. Once they were both inside, Lucille closed the door.

“Did you have any other questions for me right away?” Lucille asked.

Myst
Luperci

Dead Topics