Making connections

Milos!

POSTED: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:53 am

OOC: Optime! Asch is kinda wandering around looking for someone connected to the animalss.

IC:
The Krokaran village had been introduced to Ascher as Fiskebyn, and the leaders had been kind enough to make accommodations and provisions for the coppery Viking and the horse he had borrowed to make the trip, in spite of his unannounced arrival. The village was still sleepy when Ascher awoke and stepped outside to get his first look at the buildings in daylight. A smile grew on the scholar's muzzle as he studied the cottages – they were charming, although he had no idea what they were like to maintain; perhaps he could find someone to ask whilst here, or ask Lucille later.

Ascher absent-mindedly fiddled with the most central of the beads around his neck, which happened to be the smoothly carved wooden doe, created by Saul. It had been only a few years since that day, but it could have been decades. Now Ascher stood in unfamiliar lands, surrounded by the neat cottages. Ascher already knew the residences were cosy on the inside, but the angles of the box-like houses were sharp in contrast to Vinatta's rounded homes.

The quiet canine was torn between not wanting to get underfoot and his own curiosity; the livestock kept here, in particular, were fascinating, and half of the reason he was here in the first place. Ascher's smile turned soft and fond as he thought of Aspen and the animals she cared for back home. The sooner Asch could learn what the Krokaran's plans were for their livestock, the sooner he could head home to Aspen – without being rude or abrupt about it, of course.

After stretching, the Stormbringer man began to walk away from the sandy shore of the lake and towards the fields. It looked a promising direction in which to find someone connected to the wellbeing of the animals, and he was optimistic – largely because of the welcome he had received.

[300+]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 pm

OOC: Apologies for the wait, my dear. Should hopefully be quicker from here on out <3 Let me know if anything needs a-changing c:

IC:

This was happiness, Milos thought to himself as the sluggish sun hauled itself ever skyward. The morning smells filled his nose and settled lovingly in his heart: sweet dew sitting gently on dry leaves; rich manure settling pleasantly into the greedy soil; the heavy perfume of the nearby lake as the wind licked softly at its surface. Peace. Everything, everyone, was at peace. From the trees as they shook off their colorful burdens to fat squirrels with their caches full of survival to the livestock as they rose from sleep to graze meaningfully in their pastures. The wolfdog took another deep breath before sighing it out again, content.

"Beautiful out, isn't it?" Came the familiar voice of the young, energetic Hazel.
Milos grinned, turning to her. "Very. Could stand here an' watch it all for hours."
Hazel returned his grin but a flash of mischievous amusement stole across her amber eyes. The wolfdog considered the look curiously, brows furrowing questioningly.
"What?" He asked, a little hesitantly.
"But you aren't." She replied, her grin becoming a playful smirk. The pair had become quick friends in the short time since Milos became a Krokaran and her judge of character when it came to him was usually accurate. "With the both of us at it we can get all the chores done in double time! So you'll help me, right?"
The wolfdog's grin was back. "Right." He replied with a nod, hopping over the goat's fence in one fluid motion to tend to Amara first. "Well? Just gonna stand there?"
Hazel laughed and and shook her head, dashing off towards the caribou. "Ha! I could stand here all day and still get done faster with my chores than you would!"
The challenge in her voice was not lost on Milos. Cupping white-tipped hands around his muzzle, he called after her, "Game on, Sister!"

Milos watched Hazel's patched figure bounce off a little longer before turning towards the goats. Billy seemed more accustomed to his presence how but remained fairly standoffish. The does, and especially their kids, were much more willing to spend their time nudging him for attention and, more importantly, for treats. This morning, however, the kids were still curled up with one another in a pile of spindly legs and oversized ears while their mothers and Billy pulled up coarse weeds nearby. Milos smiled at them before glancing behind him, the feeling of another nearby presence poking at the back of his mind.
He hadn't really expected anyone to be there, but when he turned around there stood the visitor from Vinatta: a copper wolf with an easy calm about him.

Smiling in warm welcome at Ascher, Milos raised a white hand to greet the newcomer. "Mornin'!" He called out. "Trust you slept well last night. Don't think we met proper, what with all the bustle and excitement. Name's Milos."

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:18 am

OOC: No worries! <3

IC:
The day had dawned much brighter than the night before, and Ascher found himself blinking frequently as his eyes roved over blades of lush river-fed grass, bejewelled with dazzling dew. Indistinct voices bubbled away in the village, and the Vinattan didn't make any effort to listen to the pleasantries being exchanged by the Krokarans. Even when he wasn't, he felt a sense of intrusion in listening to others, particularly those whose customs he didn't know. All Asch noted was that the voices seemed bright and cheery, and that encouraged his lips to twitch upwards.

The scholar ambled slowly along the edge of the fields, finding himself looking at the huddled, matchstick-legged goats and their kids. That, too, made his smile broaden: he had known a couple of domesticated goats over the years and they had always been somewhat comical figures to him with their bleating and soft but surprisingly persistent mouths. Ascher knew less than he would have liked about their care, but they always seemed to have an inoffensive presence; he was put more at ease watching them, even though they weren't up to much.

The huddle stirred, a congregation of spindly legs and coarse hides moving towards something. Or, as it turned out, someone. The man seemed familiar with the goats, an encouraging sign; perhaps he was the man Ascher was looking for – Aspen's Krokaran counterpart. He noted Ascher's presence and turned with a friendly greeting, raising one white hand which was stark against the black dominating his coat. His eyes were a bright orange, the colour of fire, but their warmth wasn't overpowering.
“Good morning! Thank you, I slept remarkably well for being away from home,” Ascher responded with a courteous downward tip of his muzzle. “Ascher Stormbringer.” Padding a step or two closer, the Stormbringer offered a handshake. “It does seem lively around here, I imagine it's hard to get bored.” Smiling, Asch drew his hand back and folded it beneath the other. “Would I be right in thinking you're the man to speak to about the animals?”

[300+]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Crossing the short distance between them, the Greenhorn listened to the Vináttan with a broadening smile until he was near enough to accept Ascher's handshake. White fingers grasped a copper palm, gently but with confident firmness, and shook it twice before releasing his grip. Handshakes, Milos had decided a while ago, were safe and acceptable. Unlike hugs or pats on the back or an arm around the shoulder, handshakes were brief and conducted away from the body. Though he was glad to have his hand back, the wolfdog gave no impression of unease or discomfort: just a big, toothy grin.

"Pleasure to meet ya, Ascher Stormbringer." He responded, a smile still playing on his lips. In response to Ascher's observation, Milos nodded and arced a hand emphatically toward the fields. "Quite an understatement, that." He laughed, not unkindly. "As I'm sure you know, comin' from Vinátta an' all. I hear you all are quite skilled with animals yourselves. Mind my askin' what kinds ya got there?"
Milos considered Ascher's next question before tapping his chin, choosing his words carefully. "Know a thing or two 'bout goats an' sheep, mostly. He said modestly, glancing behind him at the grazing goats. "En't a pro with 'em all yet, but I do spend most o' my time here. Might be I could answer a question or two if you got 'em. You work with the animals over in Vinátta?"

Satisfied with her breakfast, Amara the goat bleated loudly at Milos before making her way towards the canines, annoyed at his perceived neglect. The wolfdog largely ignored her but shook his head with amusement all the same. When she was near enough, the doe tugged on Milo's shirt and nudged his shorts. Defeated, Milos snorted and pulled out some dried apple pieces he had been intending to give the goats later as a treat.
"Demanding things, goats are." He said with a grin, handing Amara a single apple piece. The goat snatched it up then bleated at him again. The sound woke the kids, who bleated loudly in response. Amara stared walleyed at Milos a while longer, yelled at him again, then turned and trotted back to her waiting kids. "Them little ones'll keep her occupied for a while anyway." The wolfdog said as he swung himself over the fence again to speak with Ascher properly.

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:48 am

The black and white male wore a grin as wide as the river Ascher and Lucille had crossed the night before, and it was a great relief to the Eljun Rikr that he seemed easygoing and friendly. He hadn't had many preconceptions about Krokar, but it was a relief all the same to know that the tight tension which seemed to exist at an instant between two strangers didn't exist here. He wouldn't have to choose his words quite so carefully as he might have done with a more brusque character.

The men clasped hands and shook; it seemed to be an unspoken rule that when you greeted someone with a handshake, you shook twice before releasing. Ascher was good at following rules, written or otherwise, so there was no awkwardness in the simple gesture. His hand didn't get crushed either, which was always a plus.

The scholar found a grin making itself known across his muzzle as Milos spoke, gesturing towards the fields. Ascher's blue-eyed gaze followed the hand as his tail thwacked against his legs; it was certainly a beautiful territory, and as much as Ascher didn't like to be the centre of attention he could see the advantages of a busy home without a doubt. The Vinattan chuckled softly, scratching at the parting of fur on his chin as he tried to recount Vinatta's many animals. “We seem to have collected quite a menagerie. Let's see – we've had horses, sheep, pigs, cattle and goats since before I wound up there. The most interesting animals tend to belong to individuals, though – my mate has a llama who makes an amusing sight grazing with the sheep; one of my companions is a fisher cat, an overgrown weasel really, and my cousin has a couple of exotic furries that are a mystery to me.” A light frown rippled across Ascher's brow as he ticked off the last few species: “Cats – hundreds of them it seems, at times. And all manner of birds, some trained and some not.” Asch was still smiling broadly, although his tail wags had slowed somewhat thanks to the effort put into listing Vinatta's animals.

“Ah, my mate is the animal carer in the family. I just patch them up if they get injured or sick,” the coppery Stormbringer admitted, although he spoke of Aspen with particular pride. She had more natural skill with animals than he ever would and he wasn't afraid of that truth. “I think she would be pleased with me if I came back with some sort of promise of a breeding programme..” Grinning crookedly, he gestured towards Milos. “If you'd be open to discussing that?” Asch's easy stance and still-swaying tail indicated that while he was hopeful that it would be mutually beneficial for the two packs, there was no great pressure on the Krokaran.

“I've heard that about goats,” he responded lightly as Milos swung over the fence. “Also that they'll eat just about anything.” A slightly apprehensive eye was cast over the bleating creatures.

[507]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Ending this thread OOC: Ascher and Milos discuss the different animals and further plans for VN-KR breeding program. It is noted that Aspen will be around at a later date to finalize plans for this program.

Taking note of the the umber wolf's grin and wagging tail, Milos responded in like with an easy swish of his own white-crested rudder. The mid-autumnal smells swirled drowsily in the clear air, carrying with it the bold odor of the lakes and rivers and the earthy notes of the livestock, and filled the Greenhorn's chest with pride and supplemental happiness. In all the months he and Sorcha had spent traversing about 'Souls, which in and of itself was a beautiful land, it was in Krokar that the darker wolfdog instantly felt at home. Perhaps he could learn to love other parts of 'Souls just as much but Milos wasn't sure he wanted to. Krokar was home.

Bright eyes glinted with excitement at the prospect of such diversity within Ascher's pack. Sure, they had the caribou - which to Milos was the most exotic type of livestock he'd ever had to care for - but a llama? Quite frankly he wasn't even sure he knew what a llama was but it sounded odd and interesting. Even cattle and pigs would've given the aspiring Drover a bit of a challenge, having never cared for the likes of them before. Milos nodded, perhaps with a little more gusto than was necessary, in acknowledgement of the myriad of different animals under Vinátta's charge.
When the copper scholar finally seemed to account for all their animals, Milos blew air out of his mouth in animated acclamation. "Phew! That's a lot of wards!" He exclaimed, smiling broadly. "Vinátta sounds like quite th' place! Gotta ask - llama? En't never heard o' th' likes o' them b'fore. Use 'em for milk or ridin' or somethin'?"

As Ascher went on, all expression from the darker wolfdog's face faded and he stared sparkling sunset eyes into the oceanic pools of the Vináttan's. His heart was thumping. This was an incredible opportunity, Milos knew, and one of great importance. But doubt threatened to destroy the amount of excitement the Greenhorn was keeping concealed. Could he of all canines really pull something so delicate off? This would be an act of diplomacy in a way; should he screw something up that resulted in the packs being at odds with one another, where would he go from there?
Just as quickly, excitement at the prospect of working so closely with another like-minded pack at such an idea as a breeding program won over the wolfdog's initial reservations. A wild grin cracked across Milo's muzzle and his eyes lit up boldly, tail wagging with uninhibited joy. "Gotta admit, m' friend, ya took me quite off guard! Acourse! Would be a pleasure to discuss such things with ya and your mate! Need t' run it by my own pack leaders acourse, but hell! Can't imagine it wouldn't help th' both o' our packs out, huh?" Beaming, Milos held out his hand again for another shake. "Reckon I'd love t' sit down an' discuss a breedin' program with ya. Just lemme know the time an' place!"

Milos laughed lightly at the comment about the goats and nodded affirmative. "Leave anythin' out and they'll at least give it a try. Might be they won't eat it, but you'll likely see a nibble or two." He chuckled. "Nah, but they're good t' have 'round. Eat the stuff th' sheep won't eat an' vice versa. Comical things, too."

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics