Growing Up too Fast

P: Ascher

POSTED: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Shore had decided: she wanted to learn how to fight. It just seemed so cool, being able to hold her own against someone else. It wasn't that she wanted to hurt anyone, she just wanted to be tough, and maybe that would mean other canines wouldn't attack her. She still remembered the dark wolf that threatened her mother while they were in Amherst and she didn't want to be afraid like that again.

And, maybe learning some cool moves from someone would mean she could get the best of Sylven more often. It felt like he was catching up to her in size every day, which was probably because he was a boy, and boys were bigger. Shore wanted to know some things that he probably had not learned yet.

Now that she had decided, Shore knew that she had to tell her parents. She thought her mom would be more agreeable with the whole thing. Someday Shore wanted to go on some big adventures, and that meant being able to be safe. What if she got attacked by someone like that scary black furred wolf?

With her Daddy, though, Shore wasn't sure what he would think. She had been through almost two seasons now, and from what her parents said, would be shifting soon. She would be able to do so many more things. Maybe it would help that she wanted to ask Bran to teach her.

Having spent some of the morning playing with Sylven, she arrived back at her house and pulled on the handy cloth her mom had tied to the door handle probably forever ago and then pushed with her front paws to open it. Then she stopped and took a breath, trying to figure out what she was going to say.

"Daddy?" Shore called loudly, despite how small the house was. There were only three places he could be, unless he wasn't home. Since he wasn't in the front room, she headed towards the bedrooms.

POSTED: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 am

His daughters were almost half a year old; it was no great revelation for Asch that children grew and changed. He had witnessed it dozens of times in other Aeska who were now grown, had seen them change from chubby puppies to leggy juveniles. He had watched them gain ranks within the Viking pack and start out on their paths to adulthood. Ascher had always watched this process with a certain fondness – but he had never worried about it so much.

As usual, the Eljun Rikr tried to quell his anxieties with busy work which allowed him a release from the plague of what-ifs which descended so frequently upon his mind. Practised fingertips slid against the fragile page of a book as he read, trying to glean new information from the volume which was recently recovered by chance from Amherst. The Eljun Rikr sat cross-legged with his shoulders hunched as if to guard the precious item. There was a shallow dip between his brows which always formed when he was concentrating; it didn't matter how many miles away he was in a story or a historical account, that furrow was always there.

Ascher looked up when he heard his daughter's voice. The crease in his brow dissolved steadily, replaced by apprehension. Shore was bolder and bossier than either of her parents, but Aspen at least had learnt to say no to her effectively. Ascher closed the book, knowing he would need to focus all his mental powers on Shore. If he wasn't careful with his words, the mist-cloaked youngster could run rings around him.

“What is it, pumpkin?” the Stormbringer asked as Shore appeared. He tried to assess her expression for some sign of what she was about to ask him, setting the book aside so he could dedicate himself to the conversation.

[305]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:14 pm

As Shore hoped, her daddy was home. Of course, this meant that now she would need to explain herself and why she wanted to learn to fight. Adventures probably wouldn’t win him over, even if she wanted them. No, hopefully the ‘defend herself’ angle would work, though. Fathers wanted that for their daughters, right? Right.

She heard him ask what she wanted and sucked in a breath, trying to decide exactly how she wanted to say this. Shore stopped and looked up at him, tail wagging, once again wishing she could just shift already and have hands. Those looked much more useful than her paws.

“I wanna learn to fight,” Shore ended up blurting out. “So I can defend myself, I mean,” she quickly added on. “Well, I mean, it’ll be fun, too, though. I could ask Bran if he’ll teach me since he’s a good fighter. I’m sure he’ll do it. I know I can’t do a whole lot right now but I can learn something, right?” She rambled on, any semblance of clear thoughts and explanations gone. “I promise I’ll be careful, and I bet he’ll make sure I don’t get hurt, either.” Everything was said nearly on one breath and she took a couple more while looking up at Ascher with pleading eyes.

“Pleeeease?” She finished, watching him, trying to decide what he would say and if she needed to come up with more reasons, like how cool it would be.

POSTED: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:58 am

The little grey whirlwind of a daughter seemed, perhaps for the first time that Asch had witnessed, hesitant. As she looked up at her Father she seemed to be mulling something over. Asch waited patiently for Shore to find the right words, a smile on his lips. He wasn't sure what he was anticipating – only that he was about to be asked something. Judging by the time Shore took to find the words she wanted, whatever it was meant a lot to his daughter.

“I wanna learn to fight.”

Ascher's initial reaction was to forbid Shore to ever get into a fight – ever. His daughters should be kept safe and as far from any fray as possible. The Eljun Rikr's jaws opened to say so – and then closed again. As much as he wanted to wrap his children in cotton wool and prevent them from ever knowing violence, that was unrealistic. Violence was everywhere – in hunting, in the weather, right in front of you when you least expected it. If he sheltered Shore too much then she might end up in a situation made even more dangerous by keeping her from learning about fighting.

The Stormbringer father waited for Shore to finish, raising a hand to scratch at his whiskered chin. With Bran involved, he knew Shore would be kept as safe as possible. It was those other possibilities which were worrying.

“What do you know about fighting so far?” he finally queried, struggling against a smile at the stretched out “please” his daughter had offered.
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:36 pm

After her explanation, which Shore thought to be a very good explanation, she waited for her father to answer. He opened his mouth and she straightened up a bit, leaning forward slightly, only to have him close it without actually saying anything. Well, what was that supposed to mean? He hadn't said no, but he hadn't said yes either. She scrunched her nose up as she tried to read her father's face, but all she saw was concern. There was always concern on his face, so that really didn't tell her anything helpful.

Then, finally, he said something, but it still wasn't an answer. How did her knowledge of fighting affect his answer? If she said she knew lots, would he simply agree to let her continue? No, that wouldn't work because she had already asked to learn, and he would probably see right through any lie she told. So, the truth was
probably the best route here.

"Welllll, I know Bran is good at it," she started, shuffling her paw. "And that there's lots of different ways to fight, like with swords or daggers, or with a long stick." She was petty sure it was called a staff. "But I can't so most of that until I shift, whenever that's going to happen," she said with a sigh. "Eventually I would be able t'do the really interesting stuff, but for now, I can't." Shore wasn't sure if this was going to be an acceptable answer, so she added on, "I also know that it can be very dangerous, but I would be careful, too."

POSTED: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:17 am

Ascher had been afforded a fairly easy life as a parent so far – Orvar had always been quiet and calm, and while Bel was wilder she and her father hadn't really clashed yet. He saw the wrinkle in Shore's muzzle and fought against a laugh which wanted to bubble within him; Ascher had vowed to himself a long time ago never to laugh at those who showed a desire to learn. Learning to fight was something quite different to the book learning the Stormbringer man was accustomed to, but it was still an opportunity for his assertive daughter to expand her knowledge. In truth, Ascher was more taken aback by the fact that she had asked permission than the idea itself.

He could practically feel her squirming for a definitive response, but Asch wasn't quite ready to give one, nor did he want to fall back on the old cliché of “ask your Mother”. He folded his hands beneath his chin as the girl spoke, detailing her knowledge thus far.

The Stormbringer man was surprised his whiskers hadn't grown past his clasped hands by the time Shore finished speaking. Hearing his daughter's sigh of impatience when she spoke of not being able to shift yet made him feel old – and perhaps his true objection to the idea of Shore fighting lay in the fact that her Father didn't want her to rush into anything which couldn't be taken back. Not just with her ambitions, but in general; he wanted his children to savour every moment of their youths.

And if learning to defend herself – for that would surely be the crux of what Bran would teach a girl so young – was going to help Shore relish her life and chase her dreams, who was her stuffy old worrier of a Dad to say no?

“You know Bran is a bare knuckle fighter? You might have to have someone else teach you about weapons,” Ascher commented with a half smile gracing his lips. “All right – you train with Bran, but I also want you to read up on things. You can never arm yourself with too much knowledge.” Ascher's hands dropped from his chin and he threw his arms wide for a hug. "I'll trade you a hug for a book?"

[385]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:59 pm

OOC: Feel free to fade out with your post if you'd like. :D WC: 367

IC:
"Oh, well that's okay!" Shore told him. She had not actually known that Bran was just a 'bare-knuckle' fighter. In fact, when he spoke those words, Shore was not quite sure what he meant, but when he mentioned she would need to find someone else, she guessed that it meant he fought with his hands and not with weapons, and Shore had no problem asking someone else to teach her other things when she finally shifted. In fact, she was already thinking of asking Shiloh to teach her how to use a staff since she had seen the female carrying one. That had to mean she was good with it, right?

Then, finally, there was a smile that made Shore think Ascher was going to agree to let her fight. Eventually, she knew that he would not be able to tell her not to do things, but that was when she was an adult and that seemed so far away right now. She opened her mouth to shout with her happiness and then quickly closed it again while trying to look serious as he continued with what seemed to be his half of a deal for her to learn from Bran. Reading about fighting seemed so boring compared to actually fighting, but Shore decided she would give it a try. Maybe there would even be something Bran didn't know! And then she could teach him something, too!

"Thank you, thank you thank you!" A grin stretched across Shore's face when he opened his arms to her and she dashed forward, first bumping her forehead against his chest then lifting her head so she could get closer to him. Her tail wagged so much that it made her whole body wiggle along with it as she leaned into her father's embrace.

"So what book do you want me to start with?" She asked, figuring that she may as well get started with that part, especially since it would take her a while to carefully turn the pages. Then maybe she would know what sorts of questions to ask Bran since although she had insisted she knew a bit about fighting, there was really very little that she knew.

POSTED: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:11 am

OOC: End thread :D

IC:
Seeing Shore apparently have to restrain herself from whooping with joy was comical. The scholar's lips twitched before his face split into a grin, and Asch couldn't keep his grin away after that. He was still worried, somewhere deep in his gut, but he was doing everything he could to make sure that his daughter was serious about this.

“Your Aunt Shiloh fights with a staff – perhaps you could ask her for lessons,” the Stormbringer Father suggested, oblivious to the fact that Shore was already thinking along the same lines. Ascher could all but feel the excitement radiating from the storm cloud girl, who displayed her feelings so openly. Shore trotted forward for a hug and Asch gave the Aeska a squeeze and a kiss on the forehead. “Love you, my girl,” he murmured with a grin still emblazoned across his face. Ascher would never encourage his girls to go about things dangerously, but Shore would have good teachers and he did like making his children happy.

“Hmm.. let's have a look, shall we?” Ascher released Shore from his embrace and beckoned, leading her to his shelves of books so they could select an appropriate one together. Overall, he was glad that Shore seemed willing to take in the theoretical side of fighting as well as the practical side.
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

Dead Topics