Now I've been crazy, couldn't you tell?

P. Lokr | [Madness Manifest]

POSTED: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:55 am

Streams of magenta beat gently on a pair of ebony eyelids, eager for the wolfdog to whom they belonged to come out and play. A single tangerine eye peeked out, disappearing just as quickly behind slight, callused hands. Surely it was far too early to wake up just yet; the sky was magenta. He was still dreaming.
Milos brought his hands away and tee-peed a single elbow over his eyes, hoping to block out the obnoxious purple rays. But clearly this was becoming some type of nightmare; the sunlight continued to penetrate his senses, pestering him into wakefulness.

"Grruuugh." The wolfdog groaned, sitting up with eyes still closed. He felt less rested than he had the night before and, judging by how cheerful the sun was, it was probably getting on towards midday. With a massive yawn that receded black lips from glinting canines, Milos stretched out thin limbs and finally allowed bright eyes respite from their darkened prison.
The yawn stopped unfinished; limbs reached out at peculiar angles, forgotten; greedy eyes soaked up the world.

This was not the world.

Deflated, mouth gaping, Milos sat where he'd awakened and rotated his sunset eyes around him. The sun was a magenta orb in a fiery orange sky, shining purple light down upon turquoise grass. "En't never had this dream." He mumbled to himself, glancing about. Leaves of brilliant gold danced and shimmered at the ends of twisted branches painted in the darkest black. Nearby, an indigo raven cawed obscenities down upon him from the safety of its nest of lime-green squirrel tails.
This was still a dream.
He was still dreaming.
Milos glanced away from the raven and looked down at the off-color grass (which, last he could recall, had been covered in a blanket of white snow), running ivory fingers over the fur of the earth before attempting to dig into its flesh.

He frowned. He couldn't seem to break the soil. In fact, he couldn't seem to make so much of a dent in the earth. The wolfdog ran his fingers through the grass again and found they did just that: went through the grass, the blades refusing to bend as they swished by.
Milos jumped to his feet, suddenly more aware of his body than of the strange quality the world had taken around him. "The hell?" He yelped, glancing from fingers to toes, tail to upper arms. His fur and clothing seemed... well, almost transparent. The edges of his frame faded from ebony to silver, the colors of this foreign world tinging his very being with much greed and vanity.
"What, a ghost? I'm a ghost?" The wolfdog said to himself, or maybe to the obnoxious crow, or perhaps to nobody. He paused, standing stock-still, letting this idea settle on the air before whipping his head back, a roar of laughter erupting from a widely parted maw.

No, this was surely a dream. Nothing this radical could ever be real. He was a ghost and what? This bright, cheerful world was his afterlife? Now wouldn't that be ironic! The idea of it made Milos erupt into another fit of hysterical laughter which quickly died away into humorless chuckles.
Ironic. Yes. But the fates always did seem to find joy out of screwing with him. Would it really be so far-fetched to believe he truly had died and was destined to float about a beautifully vibrant world without any way to enjoy it? Milos moped and the crow croaked and a gentle breeze bent black branches.
What had happened to him?

Milos ducked and frowned when the incessant corvid launched from its branch at his head, crowing loudly in his ears as it passed overhead. The stupid thing was becoming a nuisance and the wolfdog was glad to see it go.
Except that it wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, the blue avian wheeled back around and dive bombed the ghostly figure once more. "The hell you want? Lemme be!" The raven landed expertly on a branch, eyeballing Milos with its inky stare before going in for another air attack. The ebony wolfdog growled at the bird as it flew past and dashed after the pesky creature, yelling with flailing arms and colorful vocabulary.

Two things happened almost simultaneously shortly after chasing the raven: vibrant colors seeped out of the world, replacing magentas and oranges and turquoises with yellows and blues and greens. And as the colors returned to normal, so did the season: golden leaves shriveled and crumbled into silver snow to land lightly onto the surface of brown grass, covering the earth in white again the way Milos last remembered it.
The wolfdog trudged from a world warm with vibrant hues back into the washed out spectrum of winter, slowing down to a shuffle as the scenery around him shifted. He glanced down at his hands, expecting everything to be back to normal now, and grimaced at the still-transparent quality of his being. Milos glared at the raven, now a proper inky black, and pointed ivory blame at it.
"You!" He snarled. "Brought me here, know ya did. The hell's happenin'?!"

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:37 pm

(000) Sorry for the wait hun, it's been a graduation week here! Ready to smash this thread though >;3 Lokr's random ailment is waking up much younger than he is!

It had been a long time since sleep had stolen him; And in his mind Lokr rested, a cocooned creature awaiting the time when consciousness would stir it back to life.

Strange things happened while he slept. Reality grew tired of its own constancy, the monotonous turning of a world solid like stone. While the dark one slept, the world around him was alive and breathing, and changing, a strange metamorphosis that echoed the oddness of his bones, and the deepness of his dream.

It was the caw of a beast that woke him. Unaware of the newness of this world, Lokr roused slowly, awareness seeping back into his small, scrawny body. With consciousness came a vague confusion - Briefly, he recalled the rich taste of wine in his throat, the heavy security of the bottle in his hand. I must have drunk myself into a stupor, the dark one thought, and opened his eyes in slow reluctance.

The raven shrieked again; and his narrow pupils found its splendid black plumage - or was it cerulean? For a long moment he did nothing but observe. Something about the way the bird waited set him on edge.

A chill rippled down his spine, and Lokr realized that he must have shifted while he slept, for there were great oversized paws at the end of his legs - Legs that were shorter than he remembered. The coldness down his spine sunk into his bones, a deep and fearful chill. This is not my body, he thought with sudden absurdness - And yet it was, his body as it had been a full year prior.

"I'm still drunk," Lokr said, and the voice that came from him was small and childlish and afraid, almost lost to the cold hush of winter. It had to have been more than alcohol - Perhaps the witches had drugged him, also. Yes, that had to be it - This was the plague-dream of some heavy mushrooms, and nothing more...

The black raven rose wheeling into the sky, and left him with a shriek; in the distance, Lokr's overlarge ears heard a rough and angry voice.

Absolved to see this strange trip through, the dark one rose to short puppy legs. Running was more difficult than he ever remembered, as though his limbs had not yet learned to heed his mind. He stumbled, tripped, and in the end rolled into the clearing where the raven had now appeared.

Crossly spitting out a mouthful of frost, Lokr rose his head. There before him was a specter. "AhhH!" The manly cry was, through this maw, little more than a high-pitched squeak; and his small legs backpedaled desperately, seeking to push him away from the terrifying sight of the transparent man.

slithered here from Eden

Alaine
Luperci /
wrath of the north
a voice in the deep

POSTED: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:28 am

OOC: Yay Puppy!Lokr! And no worries, m'dear c: LET'S DO DISS!

IC:

Ghostly eyes, vibrant orange dimmed now in death and transparency, flashed away from the raving raven to a new scene unfolding before him. In a pile of oversized paws and various hues of umber (perfectly normal and opaque, Milos immediately noticed), a pup lurched into the clearing toward him with a soft thump. The raven started up again in what sounded like a fit of maniacal laughter. The wolfdog started forward towards the youth but hesitated when it stirred and rose.

Vibrant verdant irises met apparition apricot and Milos had just enough time to suspect - with a certain amount of relief - that the youngster could see him before the pup screeched in terror. Disheartened, the ghost put up his pale arms in a show of peace and wavered them gently, calmly. Instead, the younger male scrambled away from him and Milos sighed with frustration, finding his patience wearing thin. In the background, the raven was raising a ruckus which only further grated on the specter's nerves. Ivory eyebrows furrowed deeply, Milos swooped down to pick up a stone, lost his balance when his incorporeal fingers graced right through, and landed without a sound on his face.

Milos growled deeply to himself and the resulting cries of chaos from the corvid, slowly heaving himself up to a sit. He glanced at the pup's figure, still feeling annoyed. "Listen kid, dunno what's goin' on but I en't gonna do nothin' to ya." He said with a little more bite than he intended. "Obviously couldn't do anythin' t' ya if I tried, so en't nothin' t' be 'fraid of." He added, more lightly, hoping to reassure the youth.
Leaning back on the palms of his hands, Milos studied the youngster curiously, happy for a momentary distraction from the raven and his suddenly useless body. "You got family nearby? Seem a bit young t' be running around by yerself."

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:21 am

(000) I am preparing for the chuckles already >:D

It was the corvid who set up a racket; Shrieking and cawing and cackling to itself, like an old woman at the fire. Lokr had heard few such malicious sounds before, and it was easy for him to draw the connection between bird and witch.

Even so, all aggravation at such a thing died before the horror in his chest at seeing the spirit. It was, indeed a ghost; Round venom-green eyes, no less spiteful in puppyhood, were wide and watching as the specter groped at the ground and tumbled over into it. For a moment it seemed his body was engulfed by the soil, swallowed down into the maw of the earth, but just as quickly the apparition rolled back to sit on the frosted ground.

In this time, Lokr had managed to backpedal a small distance from him; And the pitiful whine that sounded in his throat was quick enough quelled as the dark one reassured himself that this was, after all, only the ghastly ruminants of a rather terrible trip. He could endure the haunting scene for that thought alone - But he would not endure the insults that came from the phantom's revenant tongue.

"Kid? Young?" Lokr sputtered, and his tone in adulthood would have frozen a man's blood to ice - But youthful, his tongue tripped and served only to humiliate. "You dare say such things to me, spirit? I am a Lord!" At this, the dark one puffed out his narrow puppy chest, and bared small white teeth in a snarl. "Come no further, witch-made, or I will - I will - AHH-CHOO!" At this point, a rather large drift of snow had caught on the end of his small black nose, and unable to contain the urge, Lokr heaved out a giant sneeze that rolled his small body back into the cold.

slithered here from Eden

Alaine
Luperci /
wrath of the north
a voice in the deep

POSTED: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 am

This is all I can think of xD Bwahahaha! Ghost!Milos will never take Puppy!Lokr seriously.

IC:

Crawr-crawr-cah-cah-cah! Added the raven, flexing inky wings and sidestepping its branch. In a curious turn of events, the wolfdog was given some relief from the persistent avian in the form of the pup's unexpected outburst. With a downturned smile gracing translucent lips and ivory eyebrows risen high upon his forehead, Milos watched the youth express his temper with unconcealed amusement. He couldn't stop the resulting chuckle from rising up his incorporeal throat, the waves of sound fading gently back into the world.

Finally he sighed and shook his head at Lokr, "Sure ya will be one day, lad. Got alotta growin' t' do t' fit in them feet first though, let alone fit int'a such a mighty title." Milos gave the youngster a wink and leaned back on his elbows. "En't no reason t' be wishin' yer youth away so quick, kiddo. Lots t' enjoy as a pup! Why, when I was yer age I could get away with about anything! Big eyes, big feet - few adults can avoid such a spell. Ah yes, youth has its perks."

Death, it appeared, made the ghost feel aged beyond his years and wiser than he was. And, as if he'd completed a set of tasks and had now been accepted into a secret brotherhood, Milos felt - for perhaps the first time in his life - a certain sense of power. He was free from harm, free from responsibility, free from necessity. It filled the normally modest canine with awe and pride.

"So you run away from home 'er somethin' then, squirt?" Milos asked, one ear rotated towards the raven who had become suspiciously quiet. He glanced upwards inconspicuously and found the wretched thing staring at them with its bottomless gaze. The wolfdog grimaced and turned attention back on the leggy youth. "Don't appear I'll be goin' anywhere soon. Happy to listen if ya got somethin' ya wanna talk about."

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:12 am

(000) *SNORT* Oh my gosh it's exactly that!!

It was clear that his bravado had made no purchase - Instead, the phantom's face twisted into that condescending look of amusement that Lokr had so very rarely experienced in his life.

It was enough to boil the blood; But an age of steeling his temper had made Lokr a cold-blooded creature, and so rather than froth and foam and ravage, the furious little lord did nothing but narrow his inky pupils to tiny slits.

The more the specter talked, the more his chest eased of fear; And the more contemplative his mind became. What was the significance of this, meeting a dead man who he had never known alive? For surely, the stranger's face was unfamiliar to him - And Lokr had a particularly keen memory. "I didn't run away from anywhere. This is my dream," He spat crossly.

Before the apparition could reply, Lokr bunched up his small puppy body, and lunged at the man. A part of him had still expected to make some physical connection; It was still a shock as he did sailed straight past, rotund body passing through incorporeal flesh where a solid chest should have been. He landed with a rather ungainly thump on the earth behind the seated Milos, but was quick to turn back to warily eye the man.

"So you are a ghost, then," Came Lokr's small, young voice; and behind it, all the simmering of the man. Dark brows furrowed in thought. "How did you die?"

It was a blunt question, and surely some specters might find it rather rude - Like asking one's age inappropriately. But Lokr had always been a sharp creature, even in youth; And his wee little face softened the coarseness of the direct question somewhat.

Behind them, the raven suddenly fell quiet. It's blue-black head tilted, as though listening for the ghost's answer.

slithered here from Eden

Alaine
Luperci /
wrath of the north
a voice in the deep

POSTED: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:29 am

"This is my dream," the umber pelted youth had seethed. His dream? Milos thought, confused, remembering how certain he'd been, upon waking, that he too was still dreaming. He still wasn't convinced he wasn't dreaming. Ironic the strange kid was echoing his own musings.

So deep in thought of these wonders Milos was that he had no time to prepare for the little being's lunge. Widened eyes and an instinctive jerk of his arms, not nearly quick enough to shield himself from the attack, was all he could manage before the pup launched himself. The wolfdog crunched his eyes closed on impact, forgetting his body was no longer solid, and grunted when the youngster's form passed right through. It was an unusual sensation - something he'd never before felt and likely could never properly describe. Icy and scattered, as if very fibers holding him together broke apart on contact and then reassembled once more.

Still shuddering at the experience, the apparition gathered himself up to a proper sit and wheeled around to fix a glare on the youth. Above them, the raven had started up again with what seemed to Milos unabashed amusement but quickly settled down again as if deeply interested in the unfolding drama. The wolfdog growled a sigh.
"Thought maybe th' transparency would'a tipped ya off enough." Milos fumed quietly, frowning. He pointedly ignored the youth's question with one of his own, a competitive inflection in his voice, "Why do you think yer dreamin'?"

But seeing the little canine's large emerald eyes and oversized feet reminded Milos he wasn't talking to an adult, but a young - albeit bratty - pup. The wolfdog softened his grouchy expression and cleared his throat, glancing away. "Dunno, actually. Jus' woke up like this. Can't remember anythin' happenin', honestly." He looked back at the pup again, a smile tugging at his lips. "Reckon it was for some good reason, though. Maybe protectin' m' pack or rescuin' slaves."

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Non-Canon