Here We Go Around Again

P: Milos

POSTED: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:19 pm

Even after a couple of days, Aspen was still not used to being in a new pack. The members she had met were kind, but it just was not home. Lucille had checked on her each day, making sure she had what she needed in a businesslike way. The feeling that Lucille thought she was a bit pathetic still stuck around, but Aspen was determined not to let that get in the way of what she was doing. Today, she would hopefully talk to Milos and maybe Hazel to see if they were interested.

Aspen made her way from the house she had been allowed to stay in to the stables where she spent some time with Alazne before looking for one of the other canines. The horse seemed to be handling everything just fine; the stable was warm, she had plenty of water and had eaten some hay as well. The visits were more for Aspen’s own comfort than anything. Alazne was familiar, which was calming for her. After a little while, Aspen knew she should stop procrastinating and make her way to the barn, and so she did.

“H-hello?” Aspen called when she got to the barn, forcing her voice to be louder than usual. It was odd and uncomfortable to hear her voice at that level. She wasn’t sure if anyone was around, so she figured she would call out again once more, just in case. “I’m um looking for M-milos or Hazel?” She let her claws drag on the floor a little as she walked further into the barn so that she didn’t startle anyone.
Aspen

Myst
Luperci Livestock Manager + Cook + Stable Hand Head of the Starfa Tier
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
because it's all i have today
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

POSTED: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:19 pm

OOC: omg hazel

IC:

"Aspen? You're Aspen, right?" Came first a pair of inquisitive amber eyes, housed within the frame of a collie (barely restrained exuberance lighting up a mottled face), followed closely by the cheerful tone of her voice. Suspended in her arms hovered a fat hen, beady eyes looking curiously at Aspen as she twitched her head an inch this way and that. "I'm Hazel! I heard you were here. In Krokar, I mean - not in the barn. I didn't know you were HERE here. I mean, you are, obviously. In the barn. Well, in Krokar too, of course. If you really ARE Aspen. You are, right? Aspen?" She paused momentarily in her bubbly speech, enough to peg Aspen with a leery, scrutinizing look, before bursting into laughter. "OF COURSE you're Aspen! Who else would you be? I'm just messing with you, obviously. Sorry if I had you going, hahaha!"

From outside the barn, tending to the remaining chickens in the coop, Milos could hear Hazel's excited voice clearly. It wasn't unusual for the hyperactive collie to chat joyfully with the animals and the Greenhorn initially tuned out her conversation. But it was becoming increasingly obvious the longer the interaction went on that whoever she was talking to was not just one of the animals. He paused, ivory crested ears perked and swiveled in her direction. Was it Claude, maybe? He thought to himself, concentrating on simplifying Hazel's rambling speech. Hearing Aspen's name caused the wolfdog to jerk upwards to his feet, leaving the chicken coop in a hurry to pad around the side of the barn to the small woman's rescue.

"Hello there!" Milos greeted, coming up from behind Aspen. Hazel has stopped laughing but was beaming gleefully at the smaller wolfdog. Milos held out a hand, smiling warmly, "It's Aspen, right? Name's Milos. See ya've already met Hazel there. Hope she didn't give ya too much trouble."
Hazel glared at Milos but was still smiling wildly. The chicken wiggled in her arms. Milos chuckled at the dog's reaction and glanced back at Aspen. "Trust you've been comfortable enough here in Krokar. Sleepin' okay? Imagine it must be hard in a strange place an' all, but I hope you're settlin' in all right."

[WC: 372]
Last edited by Milos Parhelion on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:07 am

OOC: ahahaha Hazel <3

The voice that greeted her first had Aspen's eyes widening. She managed not to let her mouth hang open as the border collie mix continued chattering away at her and for a moment all she could do was nod to confirm that she was indeed Aspen, feeling overwhelmed as she took a step back from the dog, unsure of what she should do now. At least she had a face to put to the name of the canine who was taking care of her horse, Alazne.

Aspen jerked at the sound of another, partially from surprise and partially from reflex because it was a male voice, and most especially because it was coming from behind her. She turned quickly and suddenly felt a bit cornered, standing between the two of them as her shoulders drew forward into a hunched posture. She stared at his hand for a moment and then remembered what she was supposed to do when someone did that and forced herself to reach out to shake it briefly.

“Y-yes, I’m Aspen, um, from Vinatta,” she said quietly, feeling relief at finally finding the one she was supposed to talk to: Milos. It allowed her to relax just a little, and it also helped that Hazel wasn’t also talking to her at the same time, though excitement still practically radiated off her.

“It’s odd, b-being somewhere other than home, but um, Krokar is nice,” she said, though truthfully she could not wait to get home. Overnight trips were not something she particularly enjoyed, although it was necessary. “I think um, you met my mate, Ascher,” she continued, awkwardly getting right to business because small talk was not something she was good at. “We, well, me mostly- um, I was hoping to set up some sort of livestock breeding program. I mentioned it to Lucille um, when I arrived. She seemed to think it was a good idea.” And beyond that, the sheepdog had seemed largely uninterested in the exact details, so Aspen did not go into them.
Aspen

Myst
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

POSTED: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:32 pm

A brief flash of distant memory - the glazed eyes and beaten bodies of fellow slaves - accosted Milos' mind, brought forward so abruptly that the wolfdog was unsure what had sparked it. Perhaps Aspen's hunched, self-protecting posture had brought forth the unwelcome image? He couldn't tell for sure, but Milos imagined he could see tension from the slight woman, though that wouldn't be unusual with Hazel's excitable temperament overwhelming her. He'd seen it before, and not just as a result of the collie's overabundant friendliness.

He swept the image away with a little shake of his head, smile never leaving his bi-colored face, and let his hand fall back to his side after separating it from Aspen's. "Pleasure t' meetcha, Missus Aspen." He responded, feeling the carefully contained excitement of future prospects welling within him. Since meeting Ascher's acquaintance and being introduced to the idea of an inter-pack livestock breeding program, few other things had occupied his mind.

Next to them, the chicken struggled and Hazel patted her head soothingly, sighing in resignation. Chores still had to be finished and the hen was tired of being held. "Well, duty calls I guess. Welcome to Krokar, Aspen! I hope we can get together before you leave." She said, beginning to walk back towards the chicken coop before a sudden thought lit up the collie's face, turning her back around. "Oh! And if you need anything more done with your horse, I'm your girl! You just ask and it'll be done pronto! Okay? Okay, good!"

Milos laughed and shooed her on, encouraged by the increasingly agitated hen. "Go on, Hazel. Aspen'll still be here when you're done with the chickens." He said pleasantly and watched her departing figure a moment before turning back to the shy Vináttan. "Means well, Hazel does. Girl's got a good heart. Sometimes doesn't realize how overbearin' she can be, though." He explained somewhat unnecessarily, hoping to ease any tension Aspen may have been feeling as a result of Hazel's excitable introduction.

"Glad t' hear that! We're all here t' make ya as comfortable as we can, so you just let any of us know if ya need anythin'." He responded, getting back on track after Hazel's departure. Milos broadened his grin at the mention of the umber Stormbringer. "Good man, your Ascher seem t' be! Pleasant-like. Enjoyed meetin' him." He paused a moment then said, "En't been thinkin' 'bout much else 'sides this program o' yours, t' be honest. Reckon I agree with Lucille; it's a great idea an' I'm eager t' get started! Thing is, dunno much 'bout... well, startin' somethin' like this. Howabouts we b'gin?"

[WC: 439]
Last edited by Milos Parhelion on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:31 pm

WC: 324

"O-okay, I'll um, let you know," Aspen replied with a shaky smile. Hazel leaving was something of a relief to Aspen; the dog seemed nice enough, but Aspen just found her to be a bit overwhelming. Perhaps in small doses, she would slowly get used to her, which would probably need to happen if Aspen was going to keep coming back for the breeding program, and Hazel was helping take care of Alazne, after all. The wolfdog nodded at Milos's explanation of Hazel; that definitely seemed to be the case since Hazel seemed so nice.

"Th-thanks," she said to the complements about Ascher. She sometimes felt a little silly about not visiting with him the first time, but the idea made her nervous, and she figured someone needed to stay with their daughters, so it may as well be her instead of asking Drin to watch them for a couple of days. It was more of an excuse than anything since she doubted Drin would have actually minded.

"Well, um, when I did this before, um, I met with the member of the other pack, like this," she gestured between them. "And um, I showed her the livestock Vinatta had so she could check them out and make sure they were healthy enough." Which they were, of course, but Aspen understood wanting to see to make sure. It was part of why she wanted to come to Krokar herself; she doubted they would mistreat their animals, but she felt that she had to see for herself before bringing one of Vinatta's animals all the way here.

"Vinatta has cows, sheep, goats, um, chickens, and horses," Aspen told him, figuring that they should know what they had in common before anything else. "Maybe um we could have a look at what Krokar has?" She suggested, more as a question than anything else. This way she could make suggestions on what to breed between the packs.
Aspen

Myst
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

POSTED: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:48 pm

Thoughtfully, bright eyes twinkling with understanding, Milos shifted his head in a ponderous nod. That was wise, he decided, and considered doing the same once details were finalized here. The Krokaran was curious about the Viking pack, finding their friendliness and proficiency in animal welfare fascinating topics. Besides, he agreed that it was important to see for himself the condition of another pack's animals before trusting them with their own. "A'course!" He replied enthusiastically. "Might be I do th' same if what ya see here is to your likin'."

Milos couldn't imagine Aspen would consider their care of Krokar's livestock to be sub-par, but different packs had different regulations after all. The horses he'd cared for in his past lived a lot of their lives in stables, their feed consisting heavily of grains, which differed greatly from Krokar's philosophy. Knowing what he knew now, it made more sense to him from an economical standpoint to keep the horses out on pasture to graze but that didn't mean that any alternatives were necessarily wrong. Still, he wondered if the Vináttan would feel differently.

"Sounds like a great idea, Aspen." The Greenhorn replied, beaming at the chance to introduce Krokar's livestock to a potential ally. Milos swept a hand around them, "This's th' barn but we en't prone t' keepin' any of our animal in here 'less there's danger, so we got tools 'n things stored in here for now." With a flick of an ivory-crested hand, the slender man beckoned Aspen to follow him around the barn to where the chickens resided. "Got a coop just 'round here so may's well show you them chickens first. Ya already saw one of 'em but we got two other hens, a rooster, and a number'a baby chicks right now. Oh, got a goose too but just one - a male. He en't got the best temperament but if you're interested, we can see him."

As the wolfdog lead the shy Vináttan he considered the itinerary for the tour. From the chicken coop they could make a quick sweep over so she could observe the stable if she felt so inclined and then make their way towards the fields, maybe stop by a see the sheep and goats first followed by the cows and horses. With a definitive nod to himself, Milos decided he would leave the caribou for last since they seemed to be something of an attraction to Krokar and may require more time than the others.

[WC: 414]
Last edited by Milos Parhelion on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:01 am

OOC: I moved them along to the stable after the chickens following Milos's itinerary. Let me know if I should edit. :D WC: 473

IC:
Nodding, Aspen agreed to Milos's suggestion of seeing Vinatta's livestock; she had expected as much since she would see Krokar's. It made sense to reciprocate, and part of her hoped that Hazel would not be coming with him, only because it would be tiring for her to have both of them there, but especially Hazel with how much energy she seemed to have. Of course, Ascher would be there, along with Palaydrian, so it would not be so bad. Hazel would have plenty of canines to talk to. Maybe even Jin and Joon would like her.

"Okay," she replied with a slightly shaky smile, and she looked around as he spoke about the barn and nodded. It was a large building, good for lots of storage, so she understood keeping tools in it. They had a stable where some horses lived and a small barn in each field where animals could have shelter. They also stored grain in some of the barns to supplement the grazing.

"Makes sense, um, livestock are pretty hardy," she said and then listened as he talked about the chickens. Seeing more than one would definitely be beneficial so she could see if there were enough to trade between the packs.

"A goose?" Her eyes widened a little and she was already shaking her head. "N-no, we don't have to see him." Aspen did not want to mention it, but she was terrified of birds, especially large ones like turkeys and geese. She had gotten used to chickens simply from being around them so often, but others seemed like they could do a lot of damage with their sharp beaks and talons. She knew geese had neither of those, but they were still large, and if this one was mean, she had no desire to see it.

When they reached the chickens she glanced around and realized that it seemed Hazel had already finished with them. The birds seemed quite healthy as they scratched about for the feed on the ground.

"They um, they look nice," Aspen said. "We could probably trade a couple of chicks between the packs if um, that would be okay?" They would be easier to transport than adults and it would be easier to introduce them to the coop when they were young. Once they were done with the chickens, she continued following Milos to see the stable, where she looked around a little.

"Ours is a bit different, but the same idea," Aspen told him. "I try to turn the horses out after they get some grain so they can exercise and graze. The ones that are owned, though, their owners decide what happens with them." She sometimes felt bad for the ones that were cooped up in stalls all the time, but she and Jin to make sure they got enough exercise.
Aspen

Myst
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

POSTED: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:13 pm

OOC: That's perfect! I was going to make a note in my last post about going ahead with that but I forgot :< Soyes, feel free to keep them moving onwards in your next post if you like :)

IC:

Aspen's look of utter aversion towards the idea of seeing The General was lost on Milos, who had already turned away to lead her towards the chicken coop. He nodded an agreement when she verbally declined the offer. "Reckon that en't a bad idea. Gen'ral Honks's somethin' o' a bruiser 'round here. Ruffian even goes after those o' us who try t' feed 'im." The bi-colored wolfdog shook his head, recalling plenty of run-ins he'd had with the grouchy gander. Despite it all though, part of him couldn't help but feel sorry for the waterfowl, spending his days in lonely confinement. Sometimes it was hard to believe The General may once have been a pleasant animal, before the flood that decimated his harem.

Approaching the chicken coop, Milos took note of Hazel's absence with a look of curiosity. "Hazel must've moved on t' somethin' else... prob'ly takin' care o' The Gen'ral." He chuckled lightly to himself at the thought, glad that Aspen's arrival had saved him from that particular task. He'd have to make it up to Hazel though, he thought to himself. It was his turn, after all.

Milos nodded with enthusiasm. "Reckon that'd be a fine idea. Could use some fresh blood in th' flock." He felt a thrill of something - relief or excitement - at Aspen's approval of the chickens. The Greenhorn hadn't really expected the shy wolfdog to find anything amiss with the birds but because it wasn't impossible, the worry had become a shadow in the back of his mind. He hoped she would find the condition of the other animals to her liking as well.

Once at the stables, Milos gave her a brief tour though there wasn't much to see. All the animals were out in the fields, enjoying what little sun filtered through the winter sky. "S'pose a stable's a stable, huh?" He laughed, thinking back carefully to his past and recalling that Ulick's stables, while larger and nicer, were the same general concept. Unwilling to ruminate on any further memories, Milos beckoned Aspen to follow him back out and towards the fields.

"Sheep'n goats're next up. Only got the two sheep - a ram and a ewe - but lookin' t' have some lambs soon," Milos explained, pointing in the direction of the fields where fencing kept in a pair of sheep. Nearby, a similar enclosure housed the goats. "Goats now, got plenty o' them. Buck an' two does an' six kids between 'em." Hearing Milos voice, Amara roused from her cud-chewing and yelled at him from a distance. He scoffed, "Noisy one's mine. Found 'er injured number'a moons back an' took 'er in. Still lame in one o' 'er legs, sadly." The Greenhorn shook his head, amused, when a few of the kids took up Ama's chorus. "Didn't know she was pregnant 'til afterwards, so two of them kids're her's. Reckon she's teachin' th' lot o' 'em a few bad habits." He paused then turned to Aspen, smiling. "Sheep'n goats're really my area of expertise. Still learnin' 'bout ev'rythin' else, but gettin' a good handle on it all. How long've ya been carin' for Vinátta's animals?"

[WC: 523]
Last edited by Milos Parhelion on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:09 am

OOC: okay! The cow is female. I still have to add her to the wiki after I choose a name. xD WC: 598

IC:
Silently blinking, Aspen wondered why they would keep a goose that attacked them when they tried to feed him, but then she realized that she was just biased. They kept a mare that disliked everyone in Vinatta, so she supposed it was the same sort of arrangement. A safe place for the goose to live his life was good even for an angry goose. Perhaps it had something to due with the fact that there was only one.

She felt a little bad for Hazel, having to take care of the goose, but then again, maybe she was used to it like Aspen was getting with the old pony mare. The wolfdog glanced from the chickens to Milos with a small smile when he agreed to her plan of trading a couple of chicks between the packs at some point.

"Okay," she replied; as he said, it would be good to get more different chickens in the packs, especially since Krokar had so few. Although she had not experienced this herself, she had heard stories about livestock having birth defects if the same group bred together all the time.

When the tour of the stables was over, Aspen followed Milos on to see the sheep and goats. These she was excited about, mainly because of how much time she spent with the sheep in Vinatta. They were some of her favorites, and it was not uncommon for her to simply lay with them in the field, watching over them. While canines understood and mostly obeyed the pack's scent borders, other predators did not necessarily do so, and Aspen would be there to at least sound the alarm.

Aspen was a bit surprised as well at the low number of sheep. It seemed like Vinatta had plenty, but if one was pregnant, then that would help. Just seeing two of them was quite strange. The number of goats, however, was much more familiar. Vinatta also had many of those, one of whom was a well-practiced escape artist. She'd chased that goat all over to bring her back home to their field. Aspen's ears perked as one goat called to them, and she laughed quietly at Milos's apt description of her.

"Maybe she'll heal," Aspen said, and was reminded of the hairy cow that Ombre had, which had been lame. Aspen was unable to help with that since her healing skills consisted of applying salves to small cuts that animals got while out in the pastures.

"I um, wouldn't be surprised," Aspen said while looking over the pastures and the animals a little more closely. As she expected, all seemed to be healthy and well cared for.

"Um, this is my second winter there," she replied, a bit surprised to be talking about herself so suddenly, though she figured she could elaborate a little bit. "I um, specialize in sheep and goats as well, but um, I help with everything they want me to." It had meant a learning curve, but caring for animals was also fun for her, so that learning had not been as bad as other times she was trying something new.

When she was finished looking at the sheep and goats, Aspen followed Milos on to the next fields, which housed horses and a cow. A hairy cow. Aspen's eyes widened; it was not something she had expected to see again, and she wondered if it was male or female, and if it could breed, though she did not immediately ask, figuring Milos would explain like he had with the other animals they were looking at.
Aspen

Myst
looking for heaven
believe in what i am
and tomorrow,
who knows where we'll be

POSTED: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:26 pm

OOC: Yaay, hairy cows!

IC:

To say Milos was excited about the prospect of lambs would be an understatement. While he preferred the nature of goats to their curlier cousins, the meek and incurious spirit of sheep made them less mischievous and provided a well-earned break from the demanding caprines. And their thick, wooly fleece was a wonderful thing - soft and billowy like one might expect a cloud to feel like. The ebony Greenhorn glanced over at the pair, a warm expression on his features. He hoped it wouldn't be too much longer now for Peep's parturition. The arrival of lambs was sure to brighten up the spirits of the Krokarans, particularly those who spent their days surrounded by and caring for the pack's livestock.

Milos considered Aspen's optimistic statement, shifting his gaze from the sheep to Amara's piebald figure. The goat didn't seem to be bothered by her lame leg, managing to get around without it being much of a hindrance, but the Greenhorn hoped that Aspen was right. "Hope so," he replied, glancing with a smile back at the shy Vináttan. "Don't think she even knows she's got a bum leg most o' th' time."

The darker wolfdog turned his full attention back onto Aspen, ignoring the chorus of goats bleating in the background, and allowed his face to explode brightly when the grey woman explained that she, too, specialized in the small ruminants. "Knew I liked ya!" Milos chuckled, beaming at her. "Might be something can be said for those o' us as who prefer sheep'n goats, huh? Hard workin' an' able t' do what needs t' be done." Though normally modest, having another canine to share the praise of his expertise felt less arrogant to the Greenhorn than accepting it by himself.

Still grinning, Milos lead the Starfa Ríkr onwards towards the next fields, pointing at the larger animals up ahead. In one pasture, horses congregated closely to one another, passing warmth back and forth between them. "Horses, as ya no doubt can tell. Most o' 'em b'long t' Krokar but a few're individual packmembers'." Milos squinted, trying to determine how many were out there but they were too close together to appropriately tell. "Got one stallion, Diablo. He's out over in his own smaller pasture. And over in the other pasture's our hairy cow. Only cow we got as of yet - female, too. What's Vinatta got for cows, didja say?"

Glancing over at Aspen as he asked this, Milos' expression wilted when he took note of her widened eyes. "You all right?" He asked softly, concerned that something had startled her. Sunset eyes, brows furrowed in a frown, followed her line of vision over to the hairy cow, then quickly looked back at Aspen. "Is it th' cow?"

[WC: 458]
Last edited by Milos Parhelion on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics