I lock myself inside my head and just run in place

Self-Thread.

POSTED: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Her daughters had received their adult ranks about a week ago, and both Axelle and Itzal couldn’t be any more proud. Even though she didn’t show it, Axelle could feel her pride swelling whenever Tzila or Lithia spoke about ranks or training or anything. She was so happy that they would make a name for themselves in the pack now. Particularly, her heart and pride swelled when Lithia came to her that morning asking for weapons training. Her daughter had decided to go the same route as she and use a dual weapons set up as her primary weapon. Axelle was grateful because not only could she teach her about it, she was good at the techniques involving these types of weapons. Lithia acquired two short swords from the Rast as a gift from her father. She had shown an interest in Axelle’s short swords way before, and when it was time for the Rast, at least Itzal knew what to get her.

Because the amphitheater still wasn’t in working order, Axelle positioned herself in a rather clear area in the courtyard. The gardens were to her right and the gate to her left. There was enough space to show Lithia the ropes and even to spar a little bit before the lesson was over. Axelle had been standing there for a few minutes already, but as she looked up, she could see her daughter exiting the castle and making her way towards her with a sword in each hand. She eyed the absence of a belt around her daughter’s hips and made note to find her one as soon as possible. ”Took you long enough,” she called to her, not pleased with the amount of time she had to wait.

Once Lithia made it to the clearing, she would show her stance, how to hold them properly, how to strike with them properly, and even how to block. Axelle’s main focus would be simple use of them for now, and later training will show Lithia how to incorporate dirty hand-to-hand techniques into her dual-wielding weapons. That required skill, which as much as she didn’t want to say, Lithia did not have yet.

[ 363 ] » Self-thread; Axelle and Lithia will be training!

Sammiie
Luperci A kiss with a fist is better than none
I WANT YOU
I WANT YOUR EYES
I WANT YOUR WORDS

POSTED: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Rank Thread for Lithia for Promotion to Marbas
Obtain a weapon of choice, and receive basic instruction from a higher ranked warrior or member for it

She had asked her mother for training that morning, only because she wanted to rise to the top as soon as possible. Kentaro would not look at her while she was a mere peasant. She needed to make a name for herself, and become just as good of a warrior as her mother, but less defiant. If she could beat Kentaro in a spar, she thought that would qualify her enough to become one of his mates, and Isolde and Amorette would have to suck it. The thought brought a sly smile upon her lips as she looked at herself in a sliver of mirror that Tzila had kept for herself. She liked the thought of making others agree against their wills, and if it included the Angelo… Well, that was just the icing on the cake. If anything, that made her smile even bigger because she knew just how important and untouchable he was.

After looking into her own pink eyes in the sliver of reflective glass, she set it down beside her and Tzila’s beds, in a corner where it would not be damaged. She grabbed her two short swords, gifted to her by her father. Tzila got a lousy book for her Rast, and while it helped with her rank as a Seere, Lithia imagined her sister beating an enemy with it. It would not do her well to stray of their chosen path, but if Tzila didn’t want to be a warrior like her and the rest of their mother’s family, then she was the outside in her eyes.

Lithia padded down the stairs to their tower home, through the Grand Hall and out of the gaping door at the front of the castle. The daylight hit her like a beam of white light and it took a minute for her eyes to adjust. Looking down and still squinting from the brightness, she walked towards the clearing that she saw her mother in. Hearing someone call to her, she looked up, only to squint more. Her mother had yelled to her, and Lithia waved her off. She couldn’t tell her that she was staring into a mirror dreaming of her future with Kentaro, so she wouldn’t even respond. It wasn’t long before she stood before her mother, a sword in each hand, probably not in the right stance at all (because she wasn’t trying), waiting for instruction. ”What are you going to teach me today, mom?” she asked, wondering if they were going to get deep into the lesson, how much she was going to learn today, and how much she was going to feel it in her muscles by the end of today.

[ 448 ] » ooc text here
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 am

It wasn’t long before Lithia finally joined her in the field. She came holding the swords all wrong, and as she positioned herself before Axelle, the former Eligos recognized her makeshift stance as all wrong. Lithia came bearing questions, wondering what she would learn and Axelle wondered how far they would get today since it seemed that none of the times Lithia watched her train, really stuck with her. ”First, we’re gonna work on your fighting stance," she said, motioning to the terrible position Lithia assumed. "Spread your legs apart so that they align with your shoulders,” she said, using one of her own legs to nudge Lithia’s leg out some, then to the other. Seeing that one leg was out awkwardly passed Lithia’s shoulder, Axelle pointed down to the mistake, ”Move that one in a little more. If you’re legs are too close together, you’ll be easier to tip over; if they’re too far apart, you’ll fall back easier. They have to be at the right position in order to give you the correct amount of balance, yet fluidity in case you need to move quickly.” The two-toned woman circled her daughter, making sure her legs were correct. Seeing as they were, she moved on. ”Now bend your knees a little. This is where it gets awkward-feeling and uncomfortable, but this part helps you not be so stiff when you’re using your weapon. Having stiff legs can resort to injury in many ways. When your knees are slightly bent, you can move easier.”

This lesson brought Axelle back to her warrior days. She remembered the numerous members she had trained throughout the years that she had been here, and she kind of missed it. She was happy to help Lithia and happy to have the feeling of control back. She may not have been in control of what was going on in the pack, but at least she was in control of this lesson.

Axelle took a step back and unsheathed one of her own short swords, ”I’m going to attack you and I want you to dodge it. Get into the stance I just showed you, and use it to your advantage. All the best warriors use their fighting stances well. Make sure you use it well too.” Watching Lithia sink into her fighting stance, Axelle only struck at her when she saw that she was ready.

[ 399 ] » ooc text here

Sammiie
I WANT YOU
I WANT YOUR EYES
I WANT YOUR WORDS

POSTED: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:04 am

Lithia had assumed an awkward stance when she had joined her mother in the field, and Axelle was quick to point that out right away. She told Lithia how to stand correctly, apparently with her legs shoulder width apart, and no more than that. Lithia corrected herself, and bent her knees like her mother said too. She was right, this did feel very awkward. She felt like a half-squatting frog, and it didn’t seem right, but her mother reassured her that it was right. She looked up at Axelle who ensured her that this position would allow her to be much more flexible than standing regularly. She hoped that she was right.

Axelle looked so natural using the squatting stance position, unlike Lithia. She felt stiffer than she had standing upright, and Lithia couldn’t imagine how this would help her move out of the way from an attacker when she was just focusing on standing correctly. ”I don’t understand how standing like this would help anybody,” she retorted, assuming the position anyway, but not liking it.

Eventually, her mother told her to use the stance to her advantage. Axelle was going to attack her, and Lithia needed to move out of the way. Instinctively, she rose her own weapons before her and Axelle shook her head. ”I don’t want you to fight back just yet. I want you to dodge the attack.” her mother repeated, and Lithia reluctantly lowered the swords in her hands. ”In fact, throw those over there. There’s no reason you need them in your hands right now.” Rolling her eyes, Lithia stuck the swords in the ground a little to her right. Then she resumed her position – spreading her legs and sinking into her stance. Axelle came at her, and feeling her thigh muscles ripple, Lithia sprang out of the way. ”Good,” Axelle breathed, but twirled around and came after her again for a second time. Lithia barely had time to regain herself, but she hadn’t stiffened up. Instead, she dodged backwards in the last second to avoid her mother’s blade.

”How the hell is you trying to stab me, called ‘training’??” she growled, a little flustered that her own mother just came after her with a goddamn sword. Not that she expected for the Atheed to go easy on her, but she questioned these methods. Was this how Axelle trained everyone else in Anathema too? By lunging at them with her sword?

[ 407 ] » ooc text here
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Once Lithia assumed the correct stance, Axelle came at her with her sword. The first time, Lithia dodged the attack quite well, but the second time was a close call, most likely due to her not being ready for it. Axelle attacked again to test her daughter’s concentration and alertness, and while Lithia hadn’t exactly failed, she didn’t pass either. Lithia reacted with a growl, questioning Axelle’s teaching methods entirely. ”Would you rather I teach you this way, or would you rather be gutted by an enemy and learn that way?” Axelle snapped back. Lithia was silent for the moment.

”You dodged both attacks well, but the second one was a close call. You need to make sure you are paying attention at all times when engaging an enemy. They may not always do what they let on – my second attack being a great example,” Axelle warned, bringing her sword back up again. ”I want to run through that again. Assume your stance,” Axelle said, giving Lithia a glare when she opposed. ”I shouldn’t have to ask you again.”

When Lithia assumed her fighting stance, Axelle attached with her blade. The Atheed ran at her daughter and slashed at the air as Lithia made herself scarce in the line of fire. As Axelle twirled and extended her arm for another attack, Lithia jumped well out of the way. Seemingly, Axelle’s warning was enough to get the girl to use her brain. Axelle regained herself, sheathing her sword at her hip for the moment. ”Well done. Just remember to pay attention at all times. While it is good to watch for intent in your enemy’s eyes, it’s also good to watch for body language. If their arm tenses, you know they are preparing for an attack using that arm.” She gestured to Lithia’s weapons on the ground. ”Even so, some can be tricky. Skilled fighters know how to feign an intent, only to fool you with another. Just always be alert, that’s all.” Seeing that Lithia had picked up her swords, Axelle nodded. ”Okay, now I’m going to show you a little bit about how to use your short swords,” Axelle said, unsheathing her swords and holding them out in front of her. ”You can stab,” she said, thrusting the tip of one of the swords outwards, ”you can slice,” she sliced the air with the same sword, ”and because you have two of them, you can alternate with these attacks with both of your swords.” Axelle stepped back a few paces and cut through the air, using various techniques with each sword. ”And then, of course, you can block with them by catching a foe’s attack with the flat side of your sword.”

"But I think you already know all of these things from watching me train all the time. Would you rather spar and then I'll just give you pointers as we go along?" Axelle asked. Of course, she'd go at a much slower pace to help Lithia learn, instead of just beating her and making her feel worthless. Axelle sunk into her stance with a smile, holding her swords out in front of her to tempt Lithia into a challenge.

[ 531 ] » ooc text here

Sammiie
I WANT YOU
I WANT YOUR EYES
I WANT YOUR WORDS

POSTED: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Her mother was not about to take her snippy words. Despite Lithia’s attitude towards Axelle’s teaching methods, the Atheed put her in her place with facts. No, Lithia would rather not learn the hard way, but she didn’t want to admit that she’d rather have her mother trying to kill her instead. Her mother warned her, telling her to stay alert at all times, even when an enemy seemed to be doing one thing. She understood her enemies preferred to trick their opponents in order to land an easy kill. She knew these things, but she hadn’t planned to need them here with her mother now. Then again, maybe she was thinking foolishly. She had been a born killer from day one, even when she and Tzila took down that trespasser for their mother. They had not needed tactic then, but then again, they had not known about the rock that their victim had planned to use on them. Good thing Mido saw.

On Axelle’s command, Lithia ran through another attack-and-dodge exercise. This time, she made sure to pay attention to all the signs. Even though reading her mother was easy, Lithia tried to pay attention to the glint in her eye as well as her body language. When Axelle’s abdominals tensed, she knew the Atheed planned to swing around for a second attack. She had managed to dodge them all quite nicely, which pleased her mother as well. Axelle suggested they move to the next phase and Lithia was relieved to hear that she would be learning how to use her swords.

Her pink eyes followed the movements of her mother’s weapons, and she quickly realized that she knew how to use her weapons already, just not very smartly. She knew how to stab, slice, and block – maybe there were other ways too, but for now, she knew the basics, and thought they would get her far enough. ”I think sparring would be better,” she replied, a sly smile edging onto her lips as she saw her mother sink into her stance. Lithia did so as well, trying to do it as smoothly as Axelle, but failing slightly.

They both squared each other up for a moment, betting on who was about to attack first. Lithia expected her mother to come at her, but instead it had been Lithia to make the first move though. She lunged forward, extending an arm to slice Axelle with her blade – but her sword was met with a metallic clang as Axelle blocked it. Axelle did one of her famous twirls and tried to catch Lithia, but she jumped back and out of the way.

[ 441 ] » ooc text here
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:09 am

Axelle was swift when it came to sparring, and while she usually had a pretty bright pupil, she was always the one to come on top. However, it wasn’t a matter of ego that allowed her to win every time – it was practice. Axelle had trained hard and studied well. She knew of many techniques and ways to manipulate her body so that she could easily block an attack, move out of the way, or counter the attack with one of her own clever moves. While sparring her daughter was easy-peasy, she hoped that Lithia gained the same skill Axelle had one day in her future.

Lithia made her move first, attempting to slice Axelle with her right sword, while waiting to block Axelle’s counter move with her left. However, Axelle had blocked her attack with her own swords and twirled out of the way when Lithia made a move with her other weapon. She hoped to be able to catch Lithia’s backside with one of her blades as she twirled behind her, but the girl caught on quickly. She jumped out of the way. ”Good! I’m happy to see you’re getting the hang of it,” Axelle said, looking for an opening.

After a few more seconds, Axelle sought another attack upon her daughter. She came in with her left sword, expecting it to be blocked, which it was, and lashed out with her right, where Lithia jumped back out of the way. Lithia came in again, trying to lash out at her, but Axelle ducked and did a leg sweep, knocking the woman to the floor. Quickly, Axelle got up, regaining herself. ”Maybe when you become Marbas, I will show you how to incorporate hand-to-hand in your tactic,” she said, sheathing one of her swords and offering a hand. Lithia glared up at her, slashing at her hand with one of her blades. Axelle growled, looking down at the thin slice on the outside of her hand, and her eyes scanned the ground as the young Napier tumbled away and to her feet. ”What? You took it personal?” Axelle growled. Her hand stung, but she was more angered that Lithia would do something like that. Axelle’s temper wasn’t one to be messed with, and she should have known that. Lithia said nothing and continued to hold her dagger out, like she planned to attack. "You won't win," Axelle growled, but sunk into her stance anyway.

[ 300+ ] » ooc text here

Sammiie
I WANT YOU
I WANT YOUR EYES
I WANT YOUR WORDS

POSTED: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:53 am

Sparring with her mother made it impossible to get a hit in. Axelle was just too good, and it was impossible to be able to achieve anything with her. Every attack she aimed at her mother was either blocked or dodged, and on too many occasions, Lithia was almost stabbed or cut. Lithia thought she could sense Axelle getting cocky, and this angered her. Despite it all, though, she continued to spar with her best efforts with no avail.

Blocked attack after attack, Lithia could feel her anger building. Why couldn’t she just be good at it? Why couldn’t she be born with the skill? Axelle seemed like she was. Lithia wondered how long Axelle had to train before she was this good. How many fights did she have to face before she understood that her enemies liked to play games? Lithia momentarily considered going out and looking for fights…

And then she was knocked to the floor.

Before this, she saw Axelle duck, felt something knock into her feet – but at no point did she expect to be knocked to the ground. She lost her footing and landed like a ton of bricks. One of her swords flew from her hand, but she still held on to one and she planned to use it against her offender. Axelle offered some more skill training, but only after she was promoted, and Lithia sustained a growl. Holding out her hand, Axelle offered to help her get up – at least that, but Lithia wasn’t having it. Flames danced in her pink eyes and she slashed at her mother’s hand with her remaining sword. The egotistical characteristic that once played in her mother’s gray and pink eyes disappeared as the blood began to bead in her white fur. Lithia somersaulted away, to regain her footing not at her mother’s feet. She eyed her sword a few feet away, but would not get it. She wanted to scream How dare you! but for now, she remained silent.

Axelle told her that she wouldn’t win against her, but Lithia didn’t care. She wanted to punish her for humiliating her. This wasn’t right. She didn’t get to do that shit to her. Stepping forward, her pink eyes locked on Axelle, she slashed at her with her remaining sword, quick to recoil when it was effortlessly blocked. She tried again and again, only to be blocked or dodged or both. Becoming angrier, Lithia moved quicker, and her attacks came sooner. Axelle didn’t ‘effortlessly’ block those too well.

Finally, after the attacks gradually becoming quicker and heavier, Axelle snarled, ”LITHIA!” Lashing out with a kick and sustaining a cut to her leg, Lithia was knocked to the ground again. The younger Napier hit the ground hard again, and her remaining sword flew out of her hand and stuck in the grass behind her. Lithia sat up quickly and shouted, ”Again?! How dare you!” Finally, out with it.

Using her hands, she pushed herself from the ground and walked away to collect her swords. ”I think we’re done here,” the Napier princess growled, and walked off.

[ 500+ ] » ooc text here
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

Dead Topics