POSTED: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Valencia Catori
Breathed so deep I thought I'd drown
  • Word Count: (000)
  • Date: 01/14/2015
  • Place: Close to the borders
  • Form: Optime
Hope this start woorrkksss, Miss Raze. ;D

The dark and stormy night had lent itself to a perfectly average day. Valencia was a bit surprised when she looked outside after the hullabaloo of the night before to see that there was nothing particularly amiss about the world. As if she had expected to be underwater or something else equally ludacrious; like with all other storms, though, the world had weathered it and would soldier on into the next day.

She carefully braided her hair as she sat on her bed. It was starting to get long, and she wished her mother was there to teach her how to take care of it better, but such wishes had long ago become dull aches when she thought of Rio. There was too much pain in pursuing what could have been if her parent had never left her for the sea. "Come home soon, maman, teach me to braid my hair properly." she whispered. Val often spoke to herself, though it was a bit silly since she knew her mother couldn't hear her.

Her clothes were chosen for a day that was likely to be full of mud: a loose brown skirt, a comfortable purple shirt, the belt that bore her sheathed sword on one side and her dagger on the other. Valencia also grabbed a blanket because - storm or no storm - she was determined to get some reading in today. Having immersed herself quite fully into the borrowed book, she was inhaling each chapter with gusto. Today seemed like a good day to read out in the renewed sunlight before it escaped back behind the clouds.

She put the folded blanket, her book and a snack of dried meat in her satchel. Then she headed toward the borders. Figuring she could sit by her favorite tree near the fringes of the Court and then maybe do some patrolling or hang out with someone coming/going.

Template: Aso | Image: Cuba Gallery

Image credits on her Wiki!

POSTED: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Storms reminded Pascal of his mother.

The thunder woke him easily, assaulting his sensitive ears -- and when he was a puppy he'd dart under the bed, yawping and crying, until Giselle coaxed him back out again with some tale about a giant's snores or the rumble of paws in the sky. They were silly stories, stories made to make him giggle and push his fears away, and the gentle hum of some lullaby would soothe him, if not back into slumber, into a sense of calm and safety.

Looking back, he believed that only such a pure spirit could have raised him so. He really missed her.

Exhausted from a sleepless night, the Margave wandered the territory with a hand to his head, bracing himself against a headache. He might have worn a scowl if his face was wont to twist into expression, but any negative feelings were kept carefully at bay; he still didn't know what to do with things like frustration and anger and would rather not have some fit in the middle of the woods.

His paws tread ground torn up with paw and hoof, a mess of slush and mud with barely a color to be found. But Pascal quietly enjoyed the feeling of sunlight on his face, the sight of a dun cardinal as bright to him as her ruby mate would have been, and mischievously snuck looks to the streams as if a frog would emerge out of winter hiding and present itself to be chased. There was no such fun to be had today, however, only a quick little jaunt through the territory before he looked somewhere or other for a job to do.

A scent crossed his path as he walked, and he turned to follow it without really thinking. It happened to him, sometimes -- his instinct and body pressuring him into a direction, though in all honesty Pascal found it easier (or at least less exhausting) to be alone from others. But he was a Margave and had some duty or another in the Court, and perhaps that meant keeping up appearances and socialability, too.

He spotted Valencia and splashed through slush and mud after her. It was only after a long, drawn-out silence and a blank stare in her direction that he remembered and prompted himself into greeting, Hi.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Valencia Catori
Breathed so deep I thought I'd drown
  • Word Count: (000)
  • Date: --
  • Place: --
  • Form: Optime
--

The day was going to turn out to be a warmer one than it had been lately. Was spring already approaching, she wondered? On quiet feet, surely, but it couldn't be here already. Though she didn't have a calendar to mark every day or something, she did generally have an idea of when the seasons would begin changing into the next. It seemed a bit early for a true spring. This was just probably a warm day that would be followed by a freezing cold one. She would enjoy it while she could.

Her ears raised and she looked toward the sound of someone approaching. In this muck, it was hard to miss the noise of another coming toward you. Not great for hunting or sneaking, but it was suitable enough for sitting once you got to a drier patch. The blanket she had brought wasn't great quality, anyway. It was mostly there to be used for dirty days like this. It kept her skirt cleaner so that it lasted longer and didn't end up stained. If the blanket did, so be it.

She spotted a familiar face, though she hadn't spent a lot of time with Pascal as of late. They knew each other, as most wolves in the pack did. Perhaps a bit more, since they had been pups around the same time. She had not bonded with the Sadira boys the way she had bonded with the Butler children, though. His greeting was simple and hers was similar, "hey, Pascal." she began, wagging her tail. "Did you hear that storm last night?"

If he hadn't heard the storm the night before, he must have been either deaf or a very deep sleeper.

Template: Aso | Image: Cuba Gallery

POSTED: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:05 pm

143 It is not so big a deal since it's just speech, but the font color for the speech is kinda hard to make out on that table, as a head's up!

His brown brush of a tail waved to mirror hers, though no smile played at his lips. He liked Valencia though he had not gotten to know her as well as he could have, had he been a little more outgoing -- and saw this as a missed opportunity. One did not have to look far to find things they had in common, lost mothers one of them.

Yes, Pascal replied -- would-be emphatically, compensating for his flat tone with a loud and curt phrasing. He skirted a puddle (despite the childish urge to splash through it) and approached her, eyeing her blanket with curiosity. I thought my ears would burst. I imagine you didn't get a lot of sleep. He had not, so it only stood to reason.

Are you looking to take a nap? he asked, and gestured at her blanket.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:29 am

The boy's tail was wagging but it didn't correspond with a smile, which she found a bit odd. Then again, from her experience, Pascal had always seemed to have a bit mixed signals when it came to body language. Perhaps it was just because she was not accustomed to him. If they had spent more time together, she would probably understand him better. Although she had understood Eugene easily enough, he matched more with what she was accustomed to seeing among her packmates. Pascal was different. Not bad... just, certainly differently.

The way he spoke his words matched with his body language, though. Awkward to her ears an unfamiliar. Valencia shifted her feet slightly, readjusting her weight as she tried to get comfortable with the way Pascal was. It was hard to read the signals and it made her feel uncertain where they stood. He moved around a puddle to join her in more comfortable conversational distance. "I didn't. I thought the whole house was going to shake down to the ground or I'd come outside and - silly as it sounds - we might be underwater." she said, shaking her head with a laugh at the ridiculousness of her own thoughts.

At his question, she frowned a bit, but his gesture cleared up what he meant. "Oh! No, I was going to go sit in whatever sunshiney and not-too-muddy spot I could find to read this book." she took it out of her bag and held it out for Pascal to see, though she expected he had seen it before since it came from the Court's library. "It's fantastic. Have you read it yet? The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas." she read the title affectionately, brushing her fingers against the spine of the book and the hidden world it contained.

0 points. Eep, sorry about that! I'll see about getting it adjusted to be more easily visible. In the meantime, I hope the contrast on this one is easier to read? ^^;

POSTED: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:54 pm

-- ... xD; That one is actually harder. Sorry that I'm a pain. ;; It's why I try to advertise that I prefer no graphic tables in my signature even if most tables are okayyy usually.

Underwater, Pascal echoed flatly. That's funny. He had been too small to really remember the hurricane and the real threat of such storms, so the idea amused him more than anything else. To suddenly open a door to a world of water... it soudned like something from one of his stories, though none that he'd read yet. Imagine looking out the window and seeing a fish stare back at you, he joked -- or attempted to.

Valencia revealed a book, and the prince's posture changed slightly, the wagging of his tail stirring more with excitement. No, I haven't, but I've looked at it, he said. What's it about? I saw a lot of French words in it -- is it a place like the Court? He always felt a little alienated by the French-speaking canines in the Court, when he wasn't feeling alienated for being a purebred wolf, or just for being himself. I'm glad you're borrowing from the library, he added, smiling.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 am

No, that's my fail! I forgot you didn't like graphic tables and apparently need to pay closer attention to the signatures for clues like that. My bad! Going plain text for our thread. ^_^

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pascal repeated what she said in a monotone that had always been his way. With someone else, she might have felt stung. Especially since it didn't sound like he thought it was funny. It was the way he had always talked, though, and so the Catori girl took no offense. Although she did notice it and it sort of threw off her regular conversational way of speaking, at least in her head she felt she wasn't quite on her game with Pascal. He was hard to read and it made her feel off balance when they talked sometimes.

At his attempted joke, she smiled. It was a good point, actually. "That would be both fun and scary. What if it was a shark?" she suggested, which would be certainly scary. They were like the sharper toothed version of a dolphin. She hadn't seen one, only heard about them, but she would be terrified to have one lurking outside of her window when she woke.

When he said he hadn't read the book, she shook her head lightly. "Oh Pascal, you really should!" she said eagerly. It had sucked her in completely, with the swashbuckling tales of the musketeers. "It is somewhat like the Court, although with many more duels and perhaps less savory characters. There are rescues, though, and courtly intrigue." it wasn't quite as romantic as she would have liked, but not everything could have tons of romance.

POSTED: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:45 pm

Thank you. <3 And so sorry for the wait again. ;;

See galleries for credit.

He forced a toothy grin -- not unlike a shark grin -- at her description of one of the monsters swimming out past the window. I've never seen a shark, he confessed, though gratefully. But Skoll said he's seen dolphins close to shore. It was another silly thing to envy the blond prince over, though Pascal didn't envy his attitude or luck in life. He probably would be afraid of a dolphin, playful as Skoll claimed they were; what if one accidentally dragged him under the water while "playing?" He didn't quite like the thought, though it was a moot point with the entire Kingdom flooded in their hypothetical little world.

Oh, that sounds like the type of book I'd enjoy, Pascal said, his tail waving behind him. His lips fell to cover his teeth, and he twitched his small ears at her, thoughtful. Are you learning anything from it? You're a Lady -- courtly intrigue is your forte, right? It was half a joke, and half not. The politics and diplomacy that came with the information tier was something beyond him. He could be polite and would be proud to represent the Court and represent it well, but intrigue was something beyond him, when he couldn't even tell if someone was teasing him half the time.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:55 pm

You're more'n welcome! And no worries on the delay, dear. :D <3

----------------------------------------------------------

She noted his grin and the way it appeared forced, but didn't remark. It was good that he was trying. If that was trying. Maybe it wasn't? Maybe it was meant to look kind of ... sharky. "Me either, although I did see the dolphin with Uncle Skoll! It was very playful and it almost spoke like us. Only it was so squeaky it was hard to understand." she replied. That had been a fun day with her uncle. A rare one since their encounters seemed to be infrequent and coincidental. Their family was not overly close.

"Well then, you shall definitely have to read it next! I'll drop it by your room when I finish it." she said. "Or just bring it back to the library and let you know, if you prefer." she wasn't certain how protective he was of his room space. Some were, she knew, although she herself had never understood it. Then again, no one really came to their home except to visit her and her family. The Hotel was different. Always canines in and out. Perhaps he would prefer the respect of not having her knock on his door. Either way, the Lady would always try to be polite in whatever ways she could.

She smiled at his suggestion that she liked intrigue because of her rank. "Oui, I do, although I have much to learn of it. You are a Margrave now, non? How has that been going?"

POSTED: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:54 am

*chugs slowly along* >:3

See galleries for credit.

Round, dark ears jut upward in surprise when she mentioned playing with the dolphin, too. He smiled a little less certainly, tilting his head and regarding her with curiosity. I didn't know they talked, he said. They squeak, though? He imagined a mouse squeaking words like a Luperci and shook his head, certain that wasn't quite it. It made him a little more curious about investigating dolphins, though -- or perhaps just looking for a book that had dolphins in it. He'd seen one or two books about animals in the children's section at Halifax's library, but the cartoonish pictures had frightened him far too much to read through it.

My room, that's fine, Pascal answered, smiling again. He was eager to get his paws on the book and see what it was about, not minding whether she barged in or not. He owned little in his room, though it was inconceivable to him that someone would want to steal his things, anyway. Anyone who wanted a candle or a book only had to ask. Because if you put it in the library on the wrong shelf I might have to ban you from it, he added, and twitched his nose at her in what he hoped to be a comical expression to show he was joking. The shelves might be confusing to new readers, but she'd know whether to put it with the fantasy books or the building books and other loose categories there.

Her French tilted his ears a moment, but the words just flowed in and out. He nodded at her remark, chest puffing with momentary pride before he deflated and scratched self-consciously at his arm. Yeah, it's been okay, but... For all his father's reassurances, he still worried about doing enough, and confessed this to Valencia: When I was just a Freiherr it was okay that all I could do was hunt and make candles and sometimes help move things around. But now that I'm a Margave I feel like I ought to know how to do more, you know?

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

Dead Topics