Storm on Ice

AW

POSTED: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:45 pm

OOC: 356 words

The winter storm eyed male wasn’t sure, but he could have sworn that the temperature had dropped again, gripping the world in an even stronger grip of ice and snow. The trees glittered, and the world seemed to be made of glass. For the past few weeks Storm had been feeling hollow. Oh he did his chores of course, not doing those was unthinkable, but the joy he had often found in the physical exertion and the distraction from not being able to swim, it wasn’t satisfying any longer. Even after, what felt like, so much time he couldn’t think of a solution to his problem, so instead he’d come up with ways to be by himself, and doing things that might distract him for a while, even if it was just a short while.

Once again, his new story started on the shore of black lake, but this time, he’d decided that if he couldn’t dive beneath the ice, he was going to glide over it. He’d seen insects doing it over water, so wolves must be able to do it over ice right? At least that was his theory, and honestly how hard could it be? The question had been the start of a very painful ordeal, lots of bruising and false starts, but Storm was confident he was getting the hang of it. He would dig his claws into the ice and thrust himself forward, gliding along for metres at a time. Turning was a problem, but Black Lake was large, and a great deal of it was frozen over, so he’d yet to come to the edge of the ice.

Now he was on the ice and he’d picked up the speed, managing to keep his balance. The shoreline zipped by, his feet wobbling a little, but he was so quick, it was almost as though he were flying. Of course, his feet decided to go in different direction at that moment and he collapsed in a rather undignified heap, but he wasn’t put off. He might just have found the pastime he could do while he waited out the winter months.

Table by Myst | Photo by markbyzewski | Texture by Ransie3

Draiko
Luperci Come sit by my fire

POSTED: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:38 pm

OOC: Have a Milos? :3

Krokar was synonymous with lakes and rivers, but by now most of the pack's life-sustaining arteries and veins had long since frozen over. Winter's long kiss thickened and hardened them, leaving a silvery sheen over the tributaries that made the yellow sun bounce off of them with such vibrancy that Milos found himself occasionally blinded when he gazed off towards one of their bodies. It was a joyful feeling, seeing the sun lend its golden rays to the hibernating water. It created a certain pull that the Outrigger found difficult to ignore, though he was still hesitant. While he was not afraid of water, he did not enjoy the feeling of sodden cloth against soaked fur and it was well-known by now that he refused to be seen without clothing. In another life, he might had enjoyed the nature of water and all of its glorious properties. But that was not the life he had been given.

With the animals taken care of, Milos had some time to spare and finally decided to cater to his curiosities. He thought maybe he would see Sorcha on his way, but he came upon no other Krokaran as he followed the River of Fire up towards Sister Lake. He stepped up to the smaller lake's icy shore before a sound further North caught his attention. Ivory-peaked ears pressed forward, the wolfdog turned away from the Sister's bank and proceeded up the river towards Black Lake. Milos liked Sister Lake better, mainly because she was smaller and more likely to have frozen completely over, but that soft, scraping noise could not be ignored.

As the lake's barren body came into view from between the spindly trees, a figure out on the ice immediately brought his sunny eyes to watch as it slid quickly across the solid surface. Milos watched, both impressed and perplexed, as the agouti wolf glided across the lake. And then promptly lost control and fell. Concerned replacing all other emotions, the Outrigger passed through the forest to the lake's crusty edge and squinted out at the figure. Was that Storm? "Hey!" Milos called out with a wave of his hand, taking a step nearer the ice. "All right there? Whatcha doin'?"

[WC: 370]
Last edited by Milos Parhelion on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:36 pm

OOC: Yay! Milos is so awesome! 397 words

For the longest moment Storm just lay there, his back pressed against the burning cold of the ice. It had been an interesting distraction, and perhaps he’d try it again, but the wind had been knocked out of him and he’d had enough falls for one day. The call, when it came, was just in time, as the winter storm eyed male’s thoughts had just started to turn back to her and the whole point of coming out here was to forget about that stuff.

Without getting up, Storm raised his head and spied a familiar shirt with white markings on the face, which matched the voice. So it had been Milos that had watched his spectacular wipe out. Storm lowered his head back to the ice and raised his arm, giving the wolfdog on the shore a thumbs up. When Milos’s question came though, the Cormier knew he’d not be able to talk without being closer, so he got to his feet, feeling the ache of the impact in his upper body and realising that tomorrow he was going to be stiff as anything. The ice was slippery, but with the grace of one who prefers water to land, even when it’s frozen, Storm made his way to the shore, giving his pack mate a small wave as he approached.

While Storm hadn’t spent a great deal of time with Milos, the two of them were pack mates and that implicit bond bound them together. He took in the shorts, the shirt, the well groomed mane and the startling contrast of the white muzzle. Winter storm eyes gazed at pumpkin orange ones before Storm lowered his head in respect to his superior. Although Storm didn’t use his voice to communicate, his body and gestures were incredibly expressive, subtle motions spoke volumes, and as a member of the pack, Storm knew that Milos would recognise, at least, some of his signs, making communication a great deal easier.

I miss not being able to swim. I was seeing if I could sate across the ice. I’m not very good. I’ve never tried it before. Would you like to try?

While Storm’s reasons for the skating exercise weren’t entirely true, his offer was genuine. He thought that perhaps, if he were to help a pack mate learn a new skill it would be a distraction from his darker thoughts.

Draiko

POSTED: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:20 pm

OOC: It's a thread full of awesome because so is Storm! <3

While he watched the agouti wolf peel himself carefully from the slick surface of silver ice, Milos wondered about what had brought him out here at all. The lakes were frozen; there was little out here short of ice fishing and that didn't appear to be what he was up to. But then when he thought about Storm, he recalled how much the man loved water. In fact, the two of them seemed almost polar opposites when it came to the element, and the Outrigger felt a bit more understanding as he mulled this around in his mind. Even though the lakes were frozen over, it stood to reason he would still be drawn to them. But that still didn't answer specifically what he was doing laying on his back on the ice, though.

Milos was surprised by how gracefully the younger man trod over the slippery ice, as though he would born for all forms of the element, and grinned kindly as his body slid nearer. "Look like a nat'ral, Storm!" he commented with a gentle laugh, not unkindly. Already he could pick out the vividly expressive features on the wolf's face and, while they had had little interaction, he found it easy to communicate with him. While Storm responded, Milos took in the subtle movements and distinct signs, feeling understanding wash over him. He nodded when the Greenhorn indicated how he missed the water but then narrowed his eyes slightly with mild uncertainty when he explained further. Had he understood Storm correctly? It seemed to make sense, based on how he found the other man and how naturally he glided across the frozen lake.

Still, Milos had his reservations and, with a dubious look down at the lake, he asked: "En't gonna break, is it?" But he trusted Storm and the agouti Greenhorn seemed safe and comfortable enough out on the ice so he took a step nearer the edge and peered at his cloudy reflection. He could see the other man's as well, and the offer still hanging in those stormy-hued eyes tugged at his heart. Finally and with a sigh, the bi-colored wolfdog turned his bright eyes back up to Storm's and nodded with a wide smile. "Might be I'll take ya up on that offer. Trust ya wouldn't be out on th' ice if it was like t' break," he said cheerfully, swallowing his uncertainty as he took a step onto the ice... and promptly slipped onto his rear with an "Oomf!"

Looked upwards at the other man's looming figure, Milos grinned sheepishly and shook his head. "Ya made it look so easy," he laughed, trying to pull himself back up to a stand. Once he was upright again, he tipped his head curiously to Storm. "How d'ya stay up even, let alone skate?"

[WC: 469]
Last edited by Milos Parhelion on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:42 pm

OOC: 234 words

The winter storm eyed male couldn’t help smiling as he watched his pack mate take a tumble on the ice.

You make talking look so easy. It is just what you are used to. You’ve not done this before have you? You’re nervous.

Storm touched Milos’s arm, drawing a line down it.

I can see the tension line. Don’t worry though, I’m here and I’m not going to let anything happen to you. Unless it’s funny.

Storm almost instantly regretted his last little comment. The more subtle of his gestures were often lost on everyone except other Cormier family members. He smiled kindly to emphasise that he was only joking. He squatted down, offering the outrigger his help if Milos chose to except it. Storm made sure not to assume that a luperci of greater station needed help. The fact he had done it, surprised him slightly, it was a throwback from a past he only partly remembered. Storm shook his thoughts free from the past after a moment though, and once Milos was back on his feet, he held out his hands for the taller male to take.

Hold my hands, I will take you along. I won’t be able to say very much without my hands, but we’ll be able to get you going on the ice. The ice is thick here, it’s not going to crack, I’d not risk my family.

Draiko

POSTED: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm

He considered Storm's response thoughtfully before smiling with an agreeable shrug. "Reckon ya got a point there, Storm," he replied and chuckled at the agouti wolf's observation. "Tend t' stay away from water, frozen 'r otherwise. Don't much appreciate bein' wet." That was truthful, though not a full explanation, and Milos glanced upwards into the other canine's stormy eyes as he prepared to pull himself back up from the ice.

He had not been expecting Storm's touch and tensed impulsively at the pressure of the man's finger running down his arm. The muscles in his stomach clenched together uncomfortably and he gritted his teeth, a shadow of the smile he'd worn before planted on his mouth. His mind began to play old memories dredged up from the past but Milos gave his head a small shake to tuck them back away, blinking away the darkness form his sunny eyes. He cleared his throat and gave new life to the smile on his maw, hearing the last half of Storm's words and willing himself to get a hold of his emotions.

Milos didn't laugh, but he understood that the Greenhorn was only joking and grinned toothily at him. In his mind, the mantra that Storm was kind and harmless repeated continuously. After a time, he relaxed and allowed the man to help him back up to his feet. He hesitated and could only glance sunset gaze down at the outstretched hands for a moment before looking back up. Storm's gentle blue eyes seemed sincere to Milos and it warmed his heart that he was considered family. Storm is kind. Storm is harmless. You'll be okay. The words repeated themselves once more in his head and, with a growing smile, the bi-colored wolfdog grasped the wolf's hands with his own.

"Ya have me convinced," he confirmed lightly. "'S long's ya en't put off by the risk I might take ya down with me, I'm willin' t' give this skatin' thing a try." Milos pushed on foot over the slick ice, his pads gliding easily across the clear surface. He looked back at Storm. "So's ya just sorta shuffle across it?"

[WC: 358]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:39 pm

OOC: 278 words

It was almost impossible to hide body language from Storm, and the reaction Milos had to his touch was louder than a shout to the winter storm eyed male. In fact, in Storm’s language it had been a shout, and it took every ounce of his control not to grab his hands back fearing he’d hurt his pack mate. He didn’t though, waiting for Milos to clamber to his feet and, hesitatingly take his hands. This of course essentially silenced Storm, there was still information he could convey with his body alone, but he’d learned that many only understood the most basic of those movements. Taking one hand back he explained his plan.

Put your feet as mine are, same distance and ben your knees slightly. For now, just hold that position and I will drag you along, just to get you used to the movement and the slickness of the ice.

He decided not to tell Milos that Storm was still learning how it all worked himself. He had a natural affinity for water, and it was difficult for him to understand how his pack mate couldn’t like it. To Storm water was life, it was a release, it was freedom. It symbolised so many good things to him, even after the one turbulent fateful night, that it seemed strange to even think that there might be danger on the lake.

Before he did anything though he had to ask Milos a question

When I touched you, I could see you hated it. You flinched. Did I hurt you? I don’t want you to do this if it makes you uncomfortable. This is supposed to be fun.

Draiko

POSTED: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:44 pm

Try as he might to keep his reaction subtle, Storm was highly adept at reading the faintest signs of body language and Milos recognized that it was likely the Greenhorn would have picked up on his discomfort. For the moment, he felt relief when the wolf gave no hint of realization and readopted his easy smile and loose nature. Letting his hand hover a moment after Storm took his own away, Milos let it drop to his side and watched as an explanation was given.

The Outrigger nodded and did as he was told, pacing his feet as such and allowing his knees to bend, feeling the burn in his thighs and abdomen as he did so. "Right. Seems easy enough," he replied with a grin. Being pulled along the solid surface of a frozen lake still made him feel a bit weary, and he wondered about what it might feel like to be swallowed by frigid waters. Quickly, he pulled himself away from such thoughts and attempted to replace uncertainty with determination. Allowing his pumpkin gaze to fall upon winter blue, Milos hoped he might be able to convey to the mute man what few before him laid witness to: trust. He would trust Storm.

His short-lived relief quickly waned, leaving behind a feeling of self-conscious unease. Milos turned away to glanced at the silver ice, then looked back at Storm sheepishly. The smile on his face had devolved to a sad grimace. "Weren't nothin' more'n a faded mem'ry; shadow of times past, an' such," he explained vaguely. "En't no harm done in any case. Reckon I might consider this therapy in a way. Doin' more good'n harm, ya are." The genuine smile was back on his dark features once more, touching his bright eyes. Milos gave Storm a wink then furrowed his brows with exaggerated determination, gazing out across the frozen lake. "Right! Let's give 'er a shot, huh? Don't gotta do nothin' with m' legs, right?"

[WC: 329]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:51 pm

OOC: 328 words

The winter storm eyed male decided he liked Milos a great deal. The pumpkin eyed Outrigger seemed jovial, and Storm could listen to his strange way of speaking for a long while. The shadow that passed across Milo’s face made him seem sad, and that faded memory looked like a nasty one, Storm didn’t prod though. Everyone in Krokar had a past, and while they all seemed to have their share of sadness, it seemed that they were building a future for all of themselves here. Storm knew there were parts of his early days he’d not wish to share with anyone, not even Gus or Lucille, those that he could remember of course.

That is all you have to do with your legs…for now he paused in his signing before mentioning the last bit, to let Milos know that this was just the start of his education.

However, that done Storm took his pack mate’s hand, with greater care this time, but with no less firm a grip, after all, he wanted to make sure that the two of them would stay safe, and he could do that better if Milos kept a good stance and they had a firm grip. Of course Storm was still a novice at this as well, his aptitude offered him some advantage perhaps, but he was feeling the way, and he’d never slid across the ice backwards before, but it didn’t appear that hard for him. He began to pull Milos along, the lack of friction sending them dancing along the lake at a slow and easy speed. Slowly, Storm increased the pace, just a little, executing gentle swings and turns, making sure he kept them on the safest part of the ice.

With his hands held in the other’s grip it was difficult for him to speak, but Storm smiled at Milos, hoping the other took it as the enquiry it was. He wanted to know if Milos was okay.

Draiko

POSTED: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:58 pm

The wolfdog was glad that Storm didn't continue to pry, preferring to keep others out of the looming shadows that occasionally darkened his mood. He was a good man, the blue-eyed wolf was, and mysterious in his own way. But Milos respected the sanctity of a hidden history; he would not prod into the Greenhorn's life unless he brought it up himself. As he gazed into the stormy eyes of the wolf, the Outrigger wondered if Storm had a mutual understanding of such things which prompted him not to press further. He was quickly pulled out of his musings when his packmate's tawny fingers became animated once more with a response to his question.

Milos chuckled and nodded, furrowing his ivory brows down over sunny eyes with a glinting look of determination. "Got it!" he replied with a nod and accepted Storm's grasp once more. It was exhilarating to be gliding across the surface of a lake, even if they weren't going very fast, and before long the wolfdog lost himself in the joy and wonder of the act. Storm seemed to recognize when Milos was feeling more comfortable because at that moment, their pace increased slightly. He gave hoot, smiling broadly, then nearly took a tumble during on of their gentle turns. "Ah!" he woofed, his legs scrambling across the slick ice. The Outrigger felt that Storm's firm grip and solid guidance allowed for him to right himself without falling and, glancing back at his fellow Krokaran with a knowing look, gave a huff of relief. "Phew, that was close," he said, smiling.

After a time, Milos felt far more stable on the ice and wondered what the next part of Storm's education would provide. Sucking in a breath of air to steady himself, he said: "Right. Might be I'm as ready as I'm like t' be. What's next?"

[WC: 310]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics