A shadow of what I once was.

All Welcome!

POSTED: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:10 pm

The blue-eyed Stormbringer sat with his head on his knees by the shores of the Lake where he spent as many summertime moments as possible. His heart felt heavy in his chest, aching like a missing limb. His family had left, taking all of his young half-siblings and his twin sister with them. He had stayed. Vinatta was home and he had thought that was enough, but now he wasn't so certain that he had been right in that.

The storms had wrecked the place he loved, though they would recover. Already were recovering. It felt wrong to see his father's house abandoned, though, left to the elements when the storms had hit and now it was desolate. Muddied, wet, waiting. It would wait forever.

It was then that he had a thought: why wasn't he living there. Why not indeed! He flicked his tail and smiled. If they ever returned, he was certain his father and stepmother wouldn't mind that he had taken up residence and kept house in their absence. Besides, ever since his falling out with Carya he hadn't really had a place to call home. Nowhere had felt right.

So Lochlan Stormbringer stood up, dusted himself off and began to walk purposefully back toward Jordheim.
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:47 pm

OOC: well hello there! I hope you don't mind me butting in :3

Her head still throbbed, a sickening pulse that pounded against the inside of her skull like waves lapping against a shore. It had been several suns but still the ache remained; an unwelcome guest; a familiar pest. Thyri pushed air out through her mouth forcefully in a vexed sigh, two rogue strands of hair from her mane fluttering in the gust of breath. Pale eyes glanced around her then and she came to an abrupt stop in the middle of Jordheim, gaze blank and confused. How had she gotten here? And why? What was it she was meaning to do?

Thyri lifted a hand automatically to the back of her skull, fingers splayed to find the diminished lump where rock smashed skull. It was no more than a bruise now, a sharp pain confirming she'd found the spot. She winced. It was a different kind of pain, this acute sting, but sometimes it felt refreshing to feel something other than the nearly constant throb of a dull headache. She had been lucky, if one could call being sucked into a sinkhole lucky at all. Where Izzy had suffered a broken limb and a torn ear, Thyri only had her concussion and a sizable gash on her forehead, on top of the various bruises and scrapes. Still, the concussion was bothersome. It was preventing her from sparring, which she really hated to miss. She had to keep working hard if she wanted to be an amazing Araedi like her mother! But she'd been reduced to sitting quietly at home or praying quietly at the Sacred Grove or walking quietly through Jordheim. It sucked!

By the time Lochlan's form appeared, Thyri had succumbed to her self-pitying thoughts and was in a foul mood, brows furrowed over her eyes like miniature cliffs. She still couldn't remember why she was in Jordheim, which only added to her annoyance. She looked at the older Vináttan with a glare that had nothing to do with him, trying to remember, racking her brain. It only pounded laughter back at her, not giving up an answer. At last she gave up and really watched what her cousin was doing. Wasn't that Cousin Niernan's house? What was he doing?

"Hey!" she called out at last, walking quickly on her two stout legs towards the older Stormbringer. Thyri was still frowning from the headache but the glare from deep thoughtfulness had vanished with the prospect that maybe, just maybe, Lochlan would let her help him with something - anything - so she could stave off this boredom. "What're you doing? Can I help?"

[WC: 431]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Apothecary I Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:27 am

Not at all! Thank you so much for joining. :D

---------------------------------------------------------

He touched the outside of the house with an open palm, his heart beating against his chest with a sad beat. It had been a few weeks since they left and he missed them. Missed the sweet young faces of his siblings, missed his twin, longed for dinnertime laughter with his father by the fire. He even missed Colibri, although he missed her less because she wasn't as important to him as his own bloodline. Though she mattered to him because she mattered to Niernan and she was the mother of his younger siblings, so obviously that meant she mattered too. They had always gotten along well before she was a part of the Stormbringer legacy, too, but they had never really become close. Not even after. So it was mostly his father and siblings that he missed as he stood there at the doorway of his father's home.

The sound of the voice made him turn, a bit surprised because he hadn't heard someone approaching. He had been too lost in his own memories. The frown on young Thyri's face puzzled him. Had he done something wrong without realizing it? There seemed to be a glimmer of a glare for a moment, too, but it vanished before he could catch it so he figured he had probably imagined it. Maybe she was just in a bad mood. Which was a shame, if it was true. Perhaps he could help.

"Hey, Thyri. I was just going to air out my dad's house. I am thinking I should move in, maintain it while they are away." he replied, looking at the doorway again before returning his gaze to Thyri. "Want to help? I bet there's some good grub stored away, too. Teegs and I used to hide stuff away and I bet she forgot some of the stashes before she left." he said with a grin. Hoping his own good mood would be infectious for his cousin.
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 pm

She stared at him, those twin jade orbs settling on her cousin's umber face as though he were talking in Low Speech and she couldn't grasp a word of it. Her mind was still foggy, she realized when the meaning of his words finally sunk in. Her frown took on a more puzzled expression. "Niernan and Colibri are gone?" she responded, delayed. Sometimes the throbbing in her head made it hard for her to remember things she should know and it hurt more to try and dig for those memories. Easier to ask, she figured, even if it would make her look like an idiot. "Yeah, sure!" Thyri said, allowing a smile to tug up the corners of her lips when Lochlan talked about how Teagan would hide things away. She was glad he had invited her to help, hoping she would feel less useless. "You think so? What kinda stuff?"

There was something sad about Lochlan's eyes and it made Thyri wonder. If it was true that his father and Colibri went away, they must've taken Russano and Fionna and Ninian with them. She thought, trying to remember when she had seen them last and realized that it had been a while since she'd seen Teagan too. Had she gone with them? The Dawnbringer thought how she'd feel if Shiloh packed up and left with Myrkr and the cats. Her ears wilted and she suddenly felt like crying. Ever since the concussion, she'd felt more emotional than was normal for her and it was proving to be increasingly annoying. Thyri blinked back tears and shook herself free of such thoughts, steeling her heart.

Once she felt more in control of herself, the youth glanced into the pools of blue of Lochlan's eyes and gently pushed a stray clump of hair from her face. "I bet they'll come back soon, Lochlan. And they're gonna be real happy you kept their house so nice and clean for them," she said encouragingly, feeling good to be helping someone. "What do you think needs to be done? I can do anything you need me to!"

[WC: 352]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Lochlan was a bit surprised that Thyri hadn't known his father left. Perhaps Shiloh hadn't passed on the information or maybe they had neglected to tell his aunt... the Stormbringer male would have to stop by there soon to see his aunt and make sure she knew. "Mhm, before the storm. They're just going on an extended trip, but I figured it'd be good for the house to be maintained anyway. Especially since my living situation is... well, was, I guess, kind of awkward." he flicked his ears. Carrie had never kicked him out, he had never asked to move in with Iris, so he had been sort of between things. Staying at Carrie's as far as sleeping but feeling more like an unwelcome tenant than a true roommate. She had been absent lately too, though. He hadn't seen her since the storms, which had worried him initially, but he had no place worrying about Carya Aston. Likely she was with her beau in Inferni or something.

"Oh all sorts of things! Sometimes, when we both lived here, we'd hide notes to each other if we hadn't been together that day to let the other one know what we had been up to. One time, I left a frog hidden so that it leaped out on her face." he laughed at the memory. "Nothing like that in there now, though. Probably... dried fruits, I bet. Maybe some of my dried salmon. Possibly some alcohol, although I think you're still too young for that." although there was no "legal" age to start drinking in the Luperci world, a wolf just past her shifting age seemed a tad young to allow alcohol. Although if Thyri said that Shiloh allowed her, her cousin would certainly not restrict something his aunt permitted.

His hand reached out to touch her shoulder if she did not withdraw from it. "Hey, now, no reason to cry. They'll be back." he encouraged, though he felt his own sad lump deep down in his gut. It was hard to feel good without them here.

He pushed open the door and peered in. It felt weird to not have cats rushing him the second it opened. Though he did hear a meow to his right and Arthur appeared, fluffed up and stretching. Apparently he had been resting in the sun nearby while his master was away. "Hey, Arthur." he wondered if the cat missed his siblings, too. "Well, let's start by seeing where everything is. I am not sure what they left and what they brought with them."

Of course there was all the large furniture, some scattered toys that his siblings couldn't pack in for easy travel. Books. He looked around. It felt like a ghost of his home, like a painting of it that he had somehow walked into. He shivered at the thought and walked over to the fireplace, figuring it'd be good to both light and warm the room if he and Thyri were going to be in there working.
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 pm

OOC: Boooo! Sorry for the delay. I feel into a hole of funk but I think I've found my way out again :3

Thyri digested this information silently, her pale eyes distant at the thought of just packing up and leaving everything behind. What made people decide to do that, she wondered? Niernan and Colibri were well-respected and important members of Vinátta, and though the young Dawnbringer had never developed a close relationship with any of their pups but she liked them well enough. They were pack, after all, not to mention family. It was different with Alessan and Abi because they were still near enough that they could visit, but it didn't sound like this was the case with the Stormbringer family. "Where did they go?" she asked softly, trying to make sense of everything. Slowly, her mind picked up the last pieces of Lochlan's explanation and she tipped her head just slightly with curiosity. She knew that Carrie and Lochlan lived together but why was that awkward? Carrie and Lochlan were just friends, weren't they? The girl frowned. Her head pounded in rhythm with her heart, reminding her how much thinking hurt. "Awkward?" She sighed, deciding to give up. "I don't get it. But I'll help you anyway."

Her caramel-tipped tail swished lethargically from behind her as Lochlan discussed all the things they could potentially find. It added a certain amount of mysticism that increased Thyri's eagerness to get started. She cracked a smile when her cousin laughed, imagining Teagan's surprise from the frog. It sounded like something she would do to Myrkr. "Mama says that alcohol is bad for you. But I hope I find some dried fruit!" She glanced up at the older Stormbringer, feeling a wonderful lull in the ache in her head.

The lull hadn't lasted and with the next throb came a wave of emotions. She sniffled and rubbed her eyes, pretending she had an itch. Thyri nodded, showing she understood, and was glad when Lochlan pushed the door to the hut open. Frostbitten ears pricked forward, hearing the sound of the cat. She glanced at her cousin when he answered the feline, then back down at Arthur. Vinátta was as much home to cats as it was to Luperci. She looked around the vacant home, trying to ignore the pounding in her head. The girl rested a hand on her cranium and squinted at a series of books out of one eye. She liked books but didn't spend as much time reading as she did practicing how to protect herself. Feeling unsure what else to do, she piled the books up in a more organized collection. "Okay, so now what?"

[WC: 425]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:23 pm

When she asked where they had gone, he shrugged. "Somewhere warmer, I suppose. They didn't give me exact details, since they weren't entirely sure when they left of where exactly they were going to go. Depended on weather partially. I hope they missed the storms." especially with his young trio of half-siblings, the last thing they needed was to try and handle a flood on their journey.

"Uh, yeah, long story. Basically, Carrie... sort of wanted us to maybe become mates. But I ended up deciding I'd rather pursue that kind of relationship with Iris. Have you met Iris?" he was generally transparent about the situation now that it had resolved. When it was still between the two females, it had been more secretive because he didn't want the whole pack knowing his ... issues.

At her words of wisdom about alcohol, he smiled. "Your mother is a very smart wolf." he replied. Certainly his aunt had always guided him well into making the best decisions. Though the idea of alcohol as being bad seemed a bit vague and over simplified. It wasn't really something you expanded upon too much with younger wolves, though. When they were older it made more sense to talk through the ins and outs. When to drink, how much to drink, who to drink with; there were a lot of facets to such a simple thing as having alcohol. If one wasn't careful about how much they had or the company they kept while they drank, they could end up in a bad situation.

Arthur moved to twine himself around Thyri's legs unless she tried to avoid him, purring and rubbing for attention. If she did move away, he would do what most cats did: continue to keep trying, even when he was shown he wasn't wanted. "Well, Arthur seems to approve of you being here, anyway. Although I am sure he is just hoping you'll share your part of the spoils if we find any meat." Loch remarked, his tail flicking lightly.

He leaned down and got the firewood set, sparking a fire without too much difficulty. His father had kept it well stocked and there had been no reason to take the wood with them when they left; perhaps Niernan had even thought that his eldest son might come home, especially given the awkwardness of his situation with Carya. "Well let's see what Teegs left behind first..." he said, poking around behind the stairs and puling out a small satchel. "Aha!" he grinned in triumph.

When he pulled it out, there were a few bags inside: jerky, a small bag of nuts and another of dried fruit. "Just what we were looking for. Food to fuel our tidying." he joked, tossing the dried fruit at his cousin since she had said that was what she was hoping for the most. He took the jerky and started to chew, savoring the taste of it as he started to look around for what they should do first.
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Thu May 07, 2015 6:47 pm

OOC: Ah! I'm still alive! And ah, this is stupid long and rambly Dx

Thyri nodded, both in acknowledgement and agreement. The weather had been fierce: howling winds; pelting rain; roaring thunder. Destruction had followed in its wake, littering the ground with small twigs and the occasional branch and leaving rivers pregnant with swollen rage. And then there was the instability of the earth itself, which the young Dawnbringer knew only too well. Yes, she desperately hoped that Niernan, Colibri, and their kids didn't get caught in the storms.

Pools of pale jade settled on Lochlan as he gave an abridged version of the situation that had transpired between himself and the two women, frowning slightly when he concluded that he had chosen Iris over Carrie. "What was wrong with Carrie?" she blurted before she could stop herself. She held the Aston in high regards and couldn't possibly understand the complicated dynamics of courtship or attraction or romance. Thyri considered for a moment if she had ever met Iris and nodded slowly, tentatively. "I... think I've probably seen her around," she replied at length. Aside from Carrie, who had sort of taken her under her wing since December, Thyri associated more with the mob of Aeska currently present within the pack.

"Yeah, she's all right." Shiloh was a good role model but sometimes she could be a little over-protective. Thyri was annoyed with this when she was younger but ever since her abduction, she had grown to appreciate the warm security her mother provided more than she ever had before. "'Sides, why would you wanna drink alcohol if it makes you do stupid things?" She thought she heard somewhere - either from Shiloh or another adult - that that was why alcohol was bad for you: it clouds your judgement. The youth looked back at Lochlan again, curious. "Do you drink alcohol, Lochlan?"

The cat was friendly and made the pounding in Thyri's head lessen as he purred and rubbed against her. She was used to this sort of behavior, what with Shiloh's feline companions, and knelt down to scratch Arthur's cheeks and ears. "Probably," she replied, her lips twitching into a small smile. "I'll share with you, Arthur. If we find something good," she said more quietly to the feline. Since her concussion, she hadn't been as hungry lately thanks in part to the constant throb and moments of dizziness. Though she doubted Arthur would be interested in dried fruit, she would offer it to him if they found anything anyway.

Thyri looked up when Lochlan let out a chirp of triumph, turning away from her neatly stacked pile of books and stepping over the cat to approach her cousin. She eyed the satchel curiously and watched the Stormbringer reveal what was inside: a small sampling each of jerky, nuts, and dried fruit. Her brain slow to respond to the action of dried fruit being tossed her way, the youth missed the catch entirely and watched dumbly as the fruit - three large pieces of dehydrated apples - slipped through her outstretched hands. "Thanks," she said, ignoring her miss. Bending over made the headache worse so she lowered herself to a sit and picked up the fruit. She bit tentatively into one of the pieces, halving it, and offered the other end to Arthur. She wouldn't be surprised if he turned his nose up at it and harassed Lochlan for jerky but she had promised him she would share.

The fruit was sweet and tangy on her tongue as she chewed the pieces up, swallowing them with satisfaction. The throb in her head was easing again. She wondered what other hiding spots Teagan had around but thought it would be more rewarding if she found them herself. "What can I do next, Lochlan?" she asked, watching her cousin look around him to see work needed doing.

[WC: 629]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Wed May 27, 2015 12:13 pm

So so sorry for the delay! ;__;

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lochlan was glad that Teagan was with his father and the newest cubs. Of course the "new" cubs were far from children anymore. Still, it was good that she was there to help keep them safe. Especially with Colibri Haki in such a weakened state ever since stepping down from leadership... they needed to go somewhere warm. Warmth was always better for the bones than cold, he had learned, and hopefully they would find somewhere to stay for a while. Just for a while, though. Loch would be forlorn if they never came back. Perhaps it was just a sign, though. Maybe he needed to follow them. If it took too long for them to return, he would do just that. They mattered most to him in the world.

What was wrong with Carrie? He laughed, because by this point the whole saga was becoming more amusing than hurtful to him. Though undoubtedly his pal would disagree with him. Former pal? It was hard to say what Carya was. "There's nothing wrong with her. It's just... I connected better, more, in different ways with Iris. It's kind of hard to explain, if you haven't been in love. I mean, I do love them both. Just in different ways." he flicked his ears awkwardly. "I hate to be that annoying adult saying 'you'll understand someday', but honestly it's hard to explain. You just kind of have to feel it. Though I hope you just find just one love interest. Much simpler that way." though it rarely happened that way, it seemed. He thought back to Aspen's theory that there wasn't just one right mate for everyone, that there were many potential great matches and you just selected one.

They certainly were getting into a lot of adult questions; now on to alcohol! At least he hadn't had to actually explain birds and the bees or anything; he'd leave that up to his Aunt. "I do, sometimes, drink alcohol. Not often and not a lot, though, at least not usually. There's a bit of ... well, fun, I guess? To drinking just a little bit, enough so that you feel a bit freer and forget about some of the problems in your life. It's when you cross the line from that into drunk that it can get really bad." he explained. Though it was hard to know that line, which was the biggest issue for the young. "When you're old enough, if you want, drink some. Just with someone you trust, so that they can help you if you do drink too much."

Arthur purred even louder as if he understood the offer to share goodies with him. Perhaps he did; Lochlan figured cats raised around wolves were more apt to pick up things, even if they didn't speak the same language. Arty had never tried, though Loch knew that some cats did learn to speak to wolves in a way they understood. His tomcat preferred meowing and being a nuisance. Which was perfectly fine with Lochlan. He wasn't sure he wanted to really understand what Arthur was saying all the time. Then the cat might never shut up!

His ears flicked apologetically as she missed the fruit he threw, but he didn't verbalize an apology because she didn't seem perturbed by it. Thyri seemed very go with the flow. Shiloh wasn't like that so much; it made him wonder if the father was. Silvano of Cour des Miracles... clearly he had gone with the flow when it came to conceiving his first litter with Shiloh. Alessan and Abigail, neither of which resided in Vinatta anymore; it made him wonder... "Do you think you'll stay here? I mean, I know Abigail went to live with your father..." he asked. It probably seemed pretty out of the blue, but hey, if they were going to hang out they should at least keep talking.

Surprisingly, the cat took the fruit offered and raced to a corner where he gnawed on it; he had an odd (for a cat) affinity for fruit. "You're going to be his best friend now." Loch said with a grin.

He looked around at what needed doing. The books were a bit of a mess, he noted. "Help me pick those up? I'm going to see if I can find a duster. They haven't been gone long but it already seems like there's dust everywhere!" he said with a shake of his head. Or perhaps he was imagining it because he wanted so badly to be useful.
Image Credits in Wiki

Nine
Luperci
action bears consequence

POSTED: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:46 pm

OOC: Oh gosh Nine, no worries <3

Scrunching up her eyebrows, Thyri attempted to process the information Lochlan was sharing with her. For some reason she couldn’t understand, she thought about Merlin Knight and how much she admired him. He made her feel strange and shy and excited about things she never had been before, but it also felt good. ”Love?” she parrotted quietly, shifting her eyes from the ground up to her cousin. ”Yeah, I’m definitely just gonna have one,” she said with resolve. ”I wonder when I’ll be in love.”

She twisted her mouth disapprovingly when Lochlan admitted to drinking alcohol. But his explanations made Thyri wonder what the big deal was if alcohol was consumed responsibly, like her cousin did. And the young Dawnbringer liked fun. ”Like with you?” she asked him, her face slowly shifting to one of curiosity. ”Will it take a long time until I’m old enough?” There were a million questions flitting around in her mind but it hurt her head to acknowledge them all.

Thyri pulled her knees up to her chest, munching her fruit leisurely as she held her hand out to Arthur. Thanks in part to the concussion, the youth didn’t have the focus or confidence she normally had to voice her opinions. And Lochlan was older. Thyri had a knack for respecting her older cousins, even Shore. Here? she asked, confused. Why would she stay in Niernan and Colibri’s house? Her bruised brain took a second longer to register Lochlan’s meaning. ”Oh. Of course I will! Or… I think I will,” She frowned, thinking about Abi and Alessan. She knew of her older sister but neither she nor Myrkr had ever met her. Alessan, though. Thyri loved her older brother and would dearly like to visit him in Sapient. But move there? She shook her head, gently. ”I don’t wanna move away, not ever. So I guess so.”

She blinked away her surprise when Arthur actually took the fruit, scampering off to eat his prize in peace. Thyri smiled, glancing at the older Stormbringer. ”Will you stay here, Lochlan? I mean… your daddy and siblings went away. Do you think you’ll ever wanna follow them?” He said that they’d be coming back but when? Maybe they end up liking where they are and stay there forever. Thyri lowered her ears and felt sad about that, thinking again about Shiloh and Myrkr. She popped another piece of fruit in her mouth to make herself feel better.

Glancing at the books, Thyri nodded and pulled herself to her feet. ”Where do you want them?” she asked. She’d already piled them up into neat columns but she would dust them off and move them if he wanted her to. ”Does Niernan have a broom? I bet the floors could be swept too, right?”

[WC: 464]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

Dead Topics