Post-Flood Pack Hunt

[OPEN]

POSTED: Fri May 01, 2015 11:30 am

~Gen says 20 points to all participants! ;D GOGOGO. If you still want to participate, you can! Just butt in.

POSTING: Everyone just reply as fast as they can. Once everyone is finished I'll post, then we'll repeat. If someone can't post or something, they can just PM me and I'll skip them. ;)

A large gang of elk does (~30 individuals) is making their way towards Anguille Lake. After the cellar was washed out of food during the floods, Maciel wants help taking down as much elk as possible. Near the end of the hunt, a young elk bull is also going to make an appearance, and we're going to see if we can take him down as well.
OOC Assumptions!
When Maciel realised that a gang of elk was about to enter pack territory, he began to spread word of a pack hunt. Feel free to reference this as a reason your character as joined up.

Feel free to arrive in Lupus/Secui form, or armed in Optime. If your character uses a horse to hunt, that's fine, too. ;)

Elk Hunt
  • Word Count: [381]
  • Date: 1 May
  • Time: ~ 10:00am
Unlimited slots! All welcome.

After the annual ruts, dozens of winter-weakened does had gathered together and begun to make their way towards Cour des Miracles. Maciel had been tracking the gang of elk for a few days now. For a while, he was pessimistic over whether they would actually cross the borders, but soon it had become apparent that they were going to. Immediately, the Courtier's efforts doubled. He began to investigate the gang day and night, picking out the strongest and weakest specimens. There were a few young calves amongst them as well, he realised, but they would likely be more difficult to catch; all the older does seemed incredibly determined to protect them. This did not dismay Maciel. He knew that there were enough good targets in that gang to completely stock up the pack's cellar again. And, after the floods, that seemed like a very inviting prospect.

Although the coywolf normally only hunted alone or with a pack mate, something told him that a huge opportunity such as this could not be missed. However, that also meant that a much larger group was needed in order to succeed. The coywolf, after some hesitation, began to spread the word. Now, the elk had entered Cour des Miracles territory.

The Huntsman's tail wagged in uncontrolled excitement as he clambered onto a nearby boulder. He had chosen to start near the Training Grounds, because it was one of the most popular areas in the territory. Surely, that would mean that many people would answer his call.

Truth be told, though, he was incredibly nervous. Anxiety gripped him like a vice. Several times he was tempted to call off the whole thing altogether. After all, this was his first time doing this. He had never been the social type, let alone the leadership type, but somehow he had gotten himself into this situation. For a moment, as he stood on top of the low rock, he felt more lost than he had ever been. Then the moment passed. He looked up to the morning skies, calmed himself, and howled. He called for volunteers to gather around, to come armed, whether that be with tooth and claw, or wood and steel. He called for a hunt.

After that, all he could do was wait.

If life was easy, where would all the adventures be?

Template by Kitty and Aso, image found here

Last edited by Maciel Lopez on Fri May 15, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Tue May 05, 2015 3:54 am

Though summer made for easy traveling, Linden had not yet left. Since the flooding he had taken to patrolling the borders aimlessly, training longer hours, and slept oddly. It was the sort of thing he had done when he had gone off on his own, and recognizing this, he tried to better it. Mistral had proven to be his most concrete link, and the two often spent long hours conversing—or he simply watched her practice on the flute, and encouraged her when she looked to him for this.

When word had spread of a hunt, Linden had agreed to go. He, lacking a physical home, camped out in the good weather not far from the stables. It kept him busy, too—he took to cleaning the stalls and horses when his uncle was away.

Atop his own horse, Linden rode easily and well-armed. His archery was undoubtedly one of his better skills (though it paled in comparison to his swordplay, in truth) and he was eager to make use of it. He brought several coils of rope, dangling from the horn of his saddle, but had not thought beyond this. Gunther could not pull a cart (though he did drag things) nor was Linden the sort who knew much about harvesting animals beyond their meat or thought about it.

He was quick to arrive, and slowed his horse when he spotted Maciel. Secretly glad for his own height atop the warhorse, Linden smiled at the familiar wolf. They had hunted together before, and Maciel had become the Court's Huntsman—something which showed his aptitude, given he could not shift forms. The Marquis was eager to see him at work.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

POSTED: Sat May 09, 2015 11:07 pm

wheeee!

Though he focused more on the pursuits that made him unique, tending to his books and creating candles to read them by, Pascal did not slack on his duties as a hunter. He'd seen the herd as it crossed into the territory and lingered on its edge, bicolor eyes watching, body tense until he slunk away unseen. It wouldn't do to dart through the herd, one wolf chasing one animal, and scatter the rest. He was most comfortable with a pack mate at his flank or leading the charge, and he knew to wait.

He did not know his fellow Margrave well, but the prince knew about everyone in the pack -- and Maciel was a good huntsman, a wolf who contributed well to the pack. When he spread word of the hunt and, at last, called for the hunters, Pascal went without worrying about how things would turn out.

He trotted with tongue lolling, and though the expression of face and body was blank beyond this, a certain eagerness glinted in his eye. He was an instinctual beast at heart and loved the thrill of the chase, running tirelessly on four legs, snapping and bringing down his prey with biting teeth. He knew they could succeed in this hunt.

The brown wolf slowed when he spotted the ginger form of Maciel, standing tall on a stone, and he greeted Linden with a bow of his head and a fixed smile, odd-looking but genuinely glad at the sight of his friend. His comfort was obvious in the way he moved, as he approached Maciel and looked to him for direction.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Tue May 12, 2015 2:25 am

The hunt was a bloody energetic sort of thing, primal in all its zeal. It was the sort of thing to burn off excess energy of easy life and provide a sense of usefulness. Silvano rarely felt useless but there was nothing like the thrill of chasing big prey to really get the blood pumping. Years beginning to loom over the horizon weighed on him as he thought of his six children. Six children still. No grandchildren to speak of yet. Mercifully? Maybe, maybe not.

A hunt was called and the King responded. He abandoned his few garments and took to the four legged form that he was born with. He assumed that Maciel, he who had called, was leading the hunt and since that male could not shift, it was going to be a good, old-fashioned affair. It was exciting. The King was already feeling energized as he approached the cluster of canines that joined them. He smiled at Maciel and his son, but it waned a little at the pumpkin male. Still, he bobbed his head at the non-Luperci. This was his hunt and Silvano would merely follow.

HEILLO THE KEING IS HEIRE.
Would you lot like a timed set of rounds or just go with nudges?

SILVANO SADIRA
Now, I've learned it's better living in the moment. Enjoy youth, cause it doesn't last.

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Cour des Miracles
Dead
Gen
Luperci Equites Mate to Shiloh
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Wed May 13, 2015 9:37 am

Hai everyone!! :D ... (DA KING IS HERE OMG MACIEL DON'T FREAK.)
I thought the style could be similar to this pack hunt thread by New Dawn, except more flexible (i.e. a lot more impromptu, so that everyone can participate in how the plot pans out :D ). It could basically be nudging(?), but everyone just reply as fast as they can, and then once everyone is finished I'll post, then we'll repeat. If someone can't post or sth, they can just PM me and I'll skip them. ;)
Also: I added Myrtle in here, mainly just because I was feeling like this hunt was being awkwardly male-dominated. XD Plus pNPCs ftw.

The Huntsman smiled welcomingly at each of the participants as they arrived. Some he knew already; some, unfortunately, he did not (though he treated them just as warmly). When the Courtier saw his King - the very man who had accepted him into this pack - his heart missed several beats and his head quickly dipped low in respect; the presence of the leader made this pack hunt suddenly seem profoundly real.

Myrtle Greenwood watched this reaction take place with a certain curiosity as she quietly sat herself down. The Margravine's large, icy blue eyes were striking, and, like some others in the group, she had opted to hunt in Lupus form. To the observant eye it seemed as if she was constantly moving somehow - whether it be a twitch of her tail or her ear or her paw, like her body was filled with a skittish energy. The dog was eager to hunt. Although her culture encouraged friendship between Luperci and animals, prey creatures did not really apply - predators had to eat, after all, and she accepted that completely.

Once Maciel finally found his tongue again, his voice became surprisingly passionate. "Welcome, everyone!" he began, "To recap, there is a gang of elk passing through Cour des Miracles. I do not want to waste too much time, but they are located very near here, and they are heading towards Anguille Lake. After the floods, our food stock has been running quite low, so this will be a perfect opportunity to restock it again. We shall leave now..." and he started to run down from his low rock to join the group. His voice was slightly softer, now. "I have picked out a few of the weakest elk, so when we get there, I can show them to you. We can fine tune any tactics there..."

When he stood again in front of the group of volunteers, this time with all four feet firmly on the ground, his sepia eyes were bright with confidence. "Follow me, please." Maciel finished with a modest smile, suddenly trying to keep his tone more controlled... but his passionate energy still leaked through. With a small leap he began to lope away, towards where the gang was located, expecting the others to follow on behind him.

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Fri May 15, 2015 10:11 am

lol short sry

It was a small party—the King and his son, Maciel, and the collie-dog Myrtle. They were all on four legs, wolfish and not alike. Linden felt distinctly out of place atop the massive horse and was self-conscious of it. Though this happened, he did not submit to the sudden idea to shift himself. He had brought the horse for a reason, and he would hunt like this for a reason.

More than that, upon listening to the Margrave's intentions, Linden was glad for it. It would be easier and consume less energy for him to spook the elk, he thought, and though he was unsure if he could kill one with arrows alone, he had done similar things before. Taking time to keep his horse (and himself) towards the rear of the group, Linden remained quiet. For now, his place was exactly where he had positioned himself—he was following here, at least until the time came for him to do otherwise.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

POSTED: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:35 pm

Sorry sorry sorry! D:

Pascal waited with tail waving behind him and eyes focused and bright, and when his fellow Margrave offered up a plan, the mottled gray-brown wolf agreed. He glanced to his father when the King appeared, tail wagging harder in greeting, and was quick to trot forward when Maciel gave the order for others to follow. Though a practiced hunter himself, Pas had no problem with another taking the lead -- especially when Maciel had distinguished himself as a Huntsman. Pas was as good a predator as any wolf, but his pursuits were more focused on his mind and his hands, and that was what made him unique just as this made Maciel unique.

He noticed that Linden was quick to trail behind them atop his great horse, and while Pascal was wary of the creature's hooves, he slowed a moment to walk beside him. I'm excited to see how you hunt like this, the Sadira piped; their dynamic together had been great before, and he'd no doubt it would be so now.

He galloped to catch up with the front of the group afterward, bushy tail out behind him and nostrils flaring, and panted with excitement again. Do you really think we'll be able to get more than a couple? he asked Maciel, doubtful that even weak elk would fall so easily. Perhaps Linden feathering them with arrows would help in that regard.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Linden was not shifting, instead riding on his horse to hunt. The male was clearly equipped to handle such a thing with bow and arrow in hand. Silvano, much as he would like to try, never had gotten the hang of archery, dismounted or mounted. He wished he could, but he was far better at riding with sword in hand than bow. And with Maciel unable to shift into their two-legged form, the King was happy to conform to the four-legged one. Linden's choice was beneficial but still rankled the King. Still, he said nothing and merely looked to Maciel for direction.

"Why not? It'll be a challenge," he said to his son, beaming at his talkative son. It was great to see the usually so shy and reclusive male be so open and energized. He felt happiness surge in his breast. He followed along with the group, the only female near them as well. The smell of prey slowly began to waft over them and Silvano felt the hunt in his blood. The hair on the nape of his neck rose and he felt antsy. The desire to hunt was strong and he was eager to fulfill it.

<3 sorry for short, just wanted to get them there or something cx

SILVANO SADIRA
Now, I've learned it's better living in the moment. Enjoy youth, cause it doesn't last.

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Cour des Miracles
Dead
Gen
Luperci Equites Mate to Shiloh
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:06 pm

Heyyyyy! Feel free to ICly ask questions/suggestions now, or if not, pp everyone getting into position/Maciel and Myrtle just beginning to initiate the hunt, if wanted. ;) This plan by Maciel isn't set in stone... if you want, you can improvise some more drama happening (e.g. one of the does straying away at the end, but then being caught). Almost immediately after hunting the does, though, a young antlered elk is also going to pop up!

They were near. Maciel could taste the scents of elk carrying toward them on the breeze, ladening the air with their abundance. From beside him he suddenly heard a question being addressed to him, and, glancing toward its owner, recognised Pascal. The Huntsman's eyes sparkled with confidence in response; the question did not put him off at all. Indeed, his King's reply perfectly mirrored his own thoughts: this hunt.. this hunt was a challenge.

The Huntsman's tone was upbeat and encouraging. "Definitely! And, besides," he added, "These elk will be tired and weakened by the winter and their travelling; I already found six does that are particularly weak, too. I'll point them all out to you. I'm hoping to take down at least four of them, even with our small number." 'And Linden has a horse and arrows... I wonder how we can use that. We can definitely increase the number of kills, with the right tactics for his weapons.'

Soon, the hunting party arrived at their destination. The smell of elk was overpowering now, and through the trees you could easily catch the sight of the herd moving through a massive clearing and the lightly forested areas surrounding it. Anguille Lake was near, just on the other side of those trees in the distance, and that was where the elk were heading, moving in a large, spread out flow. Maciel looked back again at his pack mates, those in Lupus form in particular. He noted that the Sadiras bore shorter legs, but also a stronger and more muscular figure in general, whereas Greenwood boasted a smaller, slimmer figure suited for speed and nimbleness.

"There, look at those does trailing the end of the gang," Maciel pointed out, his voice quieter now, "There are three, larger, deep roan elk travelling in a small group along the eastern edge of the gang, closest to us. One of them has a limp, and the others are also incredibly weak and hungry. They have no calves. More to the north of them are another two does: the light grey and the brown. They also have no calves, and the brown one has an injured leg and is prone to stumbling.

They are straggling far enough behind, that we should be able to easily cut them off from the herd and lead them to an ambush. I know it will be difficult for them all to be taken down at once, but here's the plan:

Margravine Myrtle and I will scare that group of three roan elk away from the gang, close to where we are now. We will chase them toward that hillock on our current left," Maciel gestured toward the landmark with his muzzle, "Marquis Linden will be waiting at the top of the hillock, and as soon as the elk are near enough, he will begin to shoot. That should weaken the elk, perhaps even disable one there and then. When Margravine Myrtle and I begin to drive the elk up the hillock, Marquis Linden should stop shooting, and the Margravine and I will herd the three does to the right.

And that is when Margrave Pascal and the King will perform the final ambush, this time from the right side of the hillock. You will be performing the kill on around two of the elk, whilst Magravine Myrtle and I will continue to attack on the opposite end of the trio, or if not drive the remaining elk away to deal with separately, in which case Marquis Linden shall be free to help us in whatever way he can."

The Huntsman turned to face his pack mates directly, this time with his gaze settling steadily on theirs. Quietly he hoped that nobody had missed anything, or had found some fatal flaw in his plan. "D-does that plan sound good to everyone?" he asked.

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:51 pm

If he had trusted himself more on four legs, he might have joined them. Linden felt disctinctly aware of this difference, but was stubborn enough to remain. Pascal, at least, seemed excited. The Marquis checked his bowstring again, and then turned and followed the party. From the back, he was able to see each member—and thought it very interesting how they fell into pace, the way the old wolves might have done. They looked organized; efficient.

He was proud of them, as a Kingdom, all at once. He was especially eager to ensure that this vision was not shattered.

They came upon the herd, grazing and milling as a unit as it tended to do. As Maciel explained the finer points of the animals, Linden marked them mentally. They would be the targets, undoubtedly.

It was a complex plan, but his part was minimal. Glad for this, the harlequin wolf set to preparing his weapon. When the Margrave finished, Linden gave a slight shake of his head.

I'll be shooting at their front ends, he warned. Try not to get too far ahead of them.

Then, with a low click of his tongue, horse and rider moved away from the group. The animal's path was obvious, given its color, but the elk were less wary of what seemed to be a casually moving horse. They were used to being hunted on the ground.

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Ranger I
Saṃsāra

Dead Topics