Fatalities

[AW; Forest of Nod; Prompt #3]

POSTED: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Word Count → 315 :: Prompt: Before the worst of winter hits, warm patches of air make for a deadly storm of freezing rain. Be careful about venturing out, as hypothermia can strike quickly. Even after the rain stops, things are still dangerous -- glaze ice forms over tree limbs and can break them off and onto unsuspecting animals below.

Willam had been easing her way through the forest. The temperatures had started to drop off and added a strong bite to the wind. This hardly bothered her though, her thick coat keeping her warm. She was built to withstand this kind of weather. Her large size and bulky pelt were an asset to her during the winter months. It gave her an easier time compared to those petite and feminine creatures that had always attracted the eye of others. While her size had never particularly bugged her before it was during this season that she was glad for it.

The large coyote woman had set out with the thought in mind to find any lingering growth that was still edible in order to bring back to her den but the idea was thwarted by a crash and agonized cry up ahead. She reached out the gently run her fingers along the stallion's neck, more to calm herself than to calm him, before easing her way towards where the sounds had come from. Or at least where she assumed the sounds had come from.

She ended up having to take a roundabout path, as well as having been cautioned to keep her wits about her, as an ice laden branch crashed down in front of her. It caused her to stick closer to her equine companion as well as to keep her gaze flicking up into the trees to watch for more falling objects. Eventually she came to the crash site where a doe had become trapped beneath a heavy branch that had fallen. It's struggles and cries had started to grow weaker, at least until the prey had caught sight of the predator. Once the deer had spotted Willam a panic overtook the doe's eyes and had her fighting and failing to get out from under the limb so that it could run off.

DEAD
Luperci
Nihil Sine Deo

POSTED: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:51 pm

The Forest of Nod was aptly named; the atmosphere was heavy with a gentle, sleepy darkness that eased itself into every crevice. On a normal day, naught could be heard but the whispering of the trees and hushed murmur of traveling creatures. It came as no surprise then, that Dusk Rephaim, the day's catch of rabbit in hand, should be alarmed to hear a deafening crack and the scream of a doe in the distance. Even in his upright Optime form, Dusk reverted to natural feral behavior. Dropping his narrow shoulders into a crouch, he slung the three rabbits, held by a string to their feet, around his waist. His small, sharp face darkened in his wariness as he approached the weakening sound, padded fingertips straying toward the sling and stones at his belt.

Upon entering the clearing, Dusk had to fight back a cringe. The doe was writhing beneath a broad tree limb, slicing into the frost-covered ground with her impossibly thin legs. She was obviously in a lot of pain, but that was not what bothered him. It was the way she flailed her spidery legs helplessly before her, the way her eyes rolled with mindless terror in their sockets; it stirred something primal in him, something ruthless, savage, hungry.

The feeling disgusted him and he shoved it away with a grimace, only half aware of the coyote on horseback in the corner of his eye. He whipped the stone-laden sling from his belt and, in a single fluid motion, lunged into the clearing with a practiced flick of his wrist. The stone nailed the doe below her right tearduct. Her black eyes bugged out a moment in surprise at the blood that welled up in them, and she twitched once and fell still.

Table by Sie!

First post with this baby woop
Last edited by Myrika Tears on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed your table, sorry! need the apostrophes around the image URL ^^

POSTED: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Word Count → 317 :: Out of Character text

Willam was surprised to find someone else in the clearing. But what was even more surprising was that they actually used a sling. She hadn't found anyone else around that could use a sling. She looked from the male canine over to the doe after the stone had been released. She was surprised with the accuracy of the shot and found herself leaving her stallion behind to move over to the deer. The large woman knelt down next to the doe in order to check on her and found her to be deceased. Of course she looked relieved at this as she can't stand to see anyone suffering.

After Willam had finished checking on the status of the doe she looked over to the male once again. ”How did you do that?” Of course she knew had to work a sling since she had one of her one but it was his level of accuracy that amazed her. She did fine enough with her own but she wasn't at a level that she would actually think to hunt with it. She still missed from time to time and so it amazed her when someone could execute such accuracy.

Willam got up and moved to greet the other canine. ”I am Willam la Chemin.” The large coyote said as he held out her hand to the other. ”I didn't know anyone else here knew how to use a sling.” After all there had seemed to be more archers. Granted Willam was slowly learning how to use a bow. ”Can you use a kestros as well?” She wasn't certain if he even knew what one of those were but he was curious if he might know of the other weapons that she trained with. She certainly could use someone else to train with her. Or at least someone that would keep her motivated on trying to improve her skills.

DEAD
Luperci
Nihil Sine Deo

POSTED: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:11 am

In his distress at the doe's struggle and focus in the subsequent slingshot, Dusk was surprised to hear the rustle of leather as the Optime slid off her saddle. As she passed him to check the doe, he caught her scent as a fellow Inferni member, but he did not recognize her. He gaped at her blessedly turned back as he grasped for words. He hardly knew anyone in the clan, but he had been there since, what... September? Did he know her? Was he supposed to know her?

The female (standard grey and brown like himself, but lighter) craned her neck to look at him from her kneeling position, apparently dumbfounded. She asked him how he did that, to which he responded with a self-conscious shrug of his narrow shoulders and a sheepish smile.

I, uh... But she spared him from the struggle of answering, and introduced herself as Willam la Chemin. Dusk shook her outstretched hand and shook it, matching her firmness. It's a pleasure, I'm Dusk Rephaim, He dipped his sharp face in a nod, embarrassed at her amazement but encouraged by her friendliness.

Raising his brow, he laughed softly at her comment on the uncommonness of sling users. Ha, honestly I don't know anyone else either. Never got the hang of archery, so I ended up teaching myself to use a sling. Got to hunt somehow, yeah? I've never even heard of a kestros though, His face lit up in a broad grin, Like I said, I taught myself everything I know about this thing, and that's not much. He gestured at the weathered tendon and deerskin sling. The empty pouch brushed lightly against the rabbits dangling from his belt.

Table by Sie!

POSTED: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Word Count → 316 :: Just going to ignore the saddle part as Willam doesn't ride. Châtiment is a work horse and not a riding horse so he doesn't have tack.

There were still some in Inferni that Willam didn't know of because she hadn't had the chance to actually meet with them. So there were some that the large woman only knew by name because she had heard about them from others rather than having met them herself. Though Dusk was one that she hadn't even heard about in the slightest. If she knew there was another that could use a slingshot then she was certain she would have remembered hearing about it. It was just such a rare seeming skill after all.

”A pleasure to meet you as well Dusk.” Willam said with a smile and nod of the head of her own. Willam was like this with everyone that she first met. She was used to introducing herself to anyone that she ended up running across that she didn't know. She only found it proper and polite to do so. She didn't understand anyone who didn't do that. She didn't understand how anyone could be rude though she had come across one before. That meeting had left a bitter taste in her mouth.

”I only started learning to use a bow recently. A friend gave me one and taught me how to use it.” She said with a smile. ”I've never used mine to hunt before. I'm still practicing with it to get better.” Since she still couldn't achieve one hundred percent accuracy with it yet then she didn't dare hunt with it yet. ”I don't have it with me but you use a kestros similar to a sling except you use arrows with it instead.” The large woman gave a brief overview of what a kestros was. She didn't have her pack with her since she had started to leave it back in her den after she had gotten settled in and so her weapons were left inside the pack in her den.

DEAD
Luperci
Nihil Sine Deo

POSTED: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 pm

000 OOC — Ah, gotcha. And sorry about the late reply...I've been so busy with finals I haven't had much free time, but they're finally over.

The tall coyote seemed pleasant enough, with friendly eyes and an easy smile. Her horse trailed behind her placidly, and it looked to be in good shape despite the cold weather. Horses (and any animal of the Low Speech, in fact) had always been a mystery to him, and he respected her patience in putting up with the huge brute. To Dusk, animals were for eating, and nothing more.

His molten eyes brightened as Willam mentioned a bow-wielding friend. Who was it that taught you? I could definitely use some instruction, he said as his thin, sinewy arms pantomimed drawing a bowstring. If he was going to reach that Sagitarii rank, he'd best get started learning about weapons now.

Dusk's gaze fell again to the doe's body pinned beneath the heavy tree limb. Hey, want to help me get this deer to the Mansion? We wouldn't even need to quarter it; your horse could probably carry the whole thing. He strode over to the dead animal, footpaws leaving small grey prints in the snow, and bent to place a hand on the thick branch. It was nearly as big around as his torso, and the wintry frost that covered it would make it difficult to move, but Inferni could use the meat. This deer could feed a hell of a lot more mouths than his three hares.

Dead Topics