Aglow

June thread prompt #1

POSTED: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:41 am

OOC: June thread prompt: catchin' fireflies!

IC:
The evenings were too still and too quiet in Peony's absence. During the day Eliza could bustle around and generally keep herself busy with even the most menial of tasks, but returning to an empty home somehow made her even more restless. The orange-bearded dog had considered using that restlessness to search for her friend – but that would mean a conversation with Gus or Lucille. It was a conversation Liz was avoiding having because it would mean admitting that she missed the golden-furred dog, and that was nigh unthinkable.

The nights had grown longer since the Border Collie had disappeared. Eliza could recall long Summer nights in her youth spent with her siblings and parents, fishing and preparing their catches as the sun sank. Typically Liz lived in the moment, especially in the days since the loss of her parents. Dwelling on the past would change nothing and could only punctuate that loss, making her feel it all over again – so she regularly shunned her own memories in favour of pursuits that most others would probably consider frivolous.

Tonight, she felt, would be both a frivolous pursuit and an homage to her childhood.

Liz emerged from her home with a large-necked jar under one arm and a net in her hand. As usual, the Cormier woman had a determined expression, but she was uncharacteristically quiet as she moved towards the lake shore. She was also overly careful in lowering her net – and herself – to the ground. Liz could start actually catching fireflies soon; for now she wanted to watch the gently flashing lights.

As Eliza sat upon a small knoll and hugged her knees her eyes wandered the shoreline, easily drawn to the soft glow of a cluster of lightning bugs. Each one felt like a pinprick dealt to her by days long gone and a short sigh left her. She screwed her eyes shut, hoping that when they reopened she could further appreciate the beetles' glow. Perhaps hoping, also, that a blonde-furred comrade would emerge from the twinkling lights.

[300+]

Rat
Luperci Mate to Milos as one we are everything we need
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:58 pm

OOC: C;

Night was settling upon the lands like a blanket of soft inky wool and in the West, Milos could only just make out the last traces of the sun's receding light. Broken from the silhouettes of trees and foliage, a slender line of peach specked the horizon and faded gently into hues of blonde and periwinkle and lavender to join the sky in darkness. Stars were beginning to waken as well, flickering sleepily in the young twilight.

But stars weren't the only things flickering in the night. A peppering of fireflies had started up their showy display, the warm glow of their bodies lighting up brightly and gently fading away as though nothing more than a memory. Milos paused in his expedition from the lake, mesmerized by the hypnosis of their cadence. They reminded the Wayfarer suddenly of embers, red with heat as they floated carelessly into the sky only to be quickly extinguished of fire.

Fireflies had never been of much interest to the Wayfarer, neither as a feral pup nor as an unwilling slave. He had never chased their glimmering bodies nor caught them in jars; in fact, he had truly never given the insects much thought at all. The wolfdog lowered himself down into the tall reeds, smiling softly to himself. Tonight, though... he sucked in the sweet evening air and thought, tonight there en't nobody here but me'n them.

The magic of that idea lingered with him for some time, allowing peace to smooth the creases of his mind and tranquility to gently soothe the worry from his heart. But the world continued to grow dark and before long the extroverted wolfdog found himself missing the company of others. "Th' lot o' ya got each other," he explained unnecessarily to the beetles. "En't no need for th' likes o' me, gawkin'n such." And so Milos stood, stretching the stiffness from his limbs before beginning his walk back to Fiskebyn.

As he glanced towards the village, however, a familiar shape sitting atop a small knoll caught his gaze. He padded towards her, squinting to confirm it was truly her. "That en't Liz?" he called out to her with a wave of an arm. "A'right here, Missus 'Liza?"

[WC: 370]

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:03 am

OOC: Yay a Milos! :D

IC:
The darkening sky, the fireflies and the lake all disappeared into blackness for a short time, but Liz found that her eyelids weren't enough of a barrier between her and the world. Though she couldn't see, she could still feel the pangs of loneliness and confusion which had seen her withdrawing from the world in recent weeks. Her chin lowered to rest on her knees and she drew in a long, steadying breath in an attempt to dissolve the gloomy thoughts which plagued her.

The dog's eyes opened again as the voice carried to her. Liz recognised it in spite of the fact that she didn't feel as if she recognised much of anything anymore. She certainly didn't recognise this quiet, thoughtful canine who was sat upon the knoll dwelling on things that couldn't be changed. As she blinked the fireflies swam back into focus. She lifted her chin from her knees and turned her head to take in the figure moving towards her.

A light smile played around the Cormier's lips – surprisingly easy to summon despite her melancholy – as she observed the animated black and white face. “Alright, Milos?” she greeted him, releasing her arms from around her knees and putting one hand on the lid of the jar she had half forgotten. “Looks like we've been thinkin' along the same lines.”

The dog threw her arms up and stretched, rolling her neck before hopping to her feet. She moved towards the Wayfarer, light footed, before turning to retrieve her empty jar and net. She gripped one in each hand, resting the bottom of the jar against one slim hip and planting the long handle of the net in the soft grass. “Seasoned firefly catcher, me. Used to do it all the time with Gus 'n' the others.” A soft laugh left the female. “Course, I had to show 'em how to do it.” She was grinning now, acknowledging her own bossiness. “How ya been, then?”

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 pm

OOC: <3

Her smile, light as it was, compelled Milos forward with building confidence. Definitely 'Liza, his thoughts assured him, his own grin broadening. How could he mistake the way her lips tugged at the corners of her fiery beard? "En't no worse for wear, I reckon," he replied, slowing his momentum to stand before her. Sunny eyes, bright still in the low light, cast unto her own twin pools of amber. Though they were pack mates, the Wayfarer knew little more about the Cormier than her wiry personality and her knack for trading.

And her smile. There was something unique to him about that smile.

Watching the dog stretch made him acutely aware of the tautness in his own muscles, though he'd gone through his own ritual just moments before, and Milos allowed himself a yawn to distract the thought. He glanced then at the jar, bursts of soft orange reflecting easily off the smooth surface of the glass from the surrounding fireflies, then at the lank net in her hands. He chuckled at her own acknowledgment of her domineering attitude, one corner of his mouth pulled up farther than the other in a lopsided grin. "Firefly catcher?" he questioned, a quizzical expression knitting his ivory brows together. The idea of expending energy to snag a few bugs seemed unusual to the Wayfarer but curiosity and affability won out over his initial aversion. "En't never done as such m'self. Reckon its fun, huh?"

Why else would someone do a thing that made so little sense? Perhaps the beetles were then kept as snacks or treats for the poultry. At this consideration, Milos felt much more certain that he would enjoy learning to catch fireflies. "How's it done?"

[WC: 286]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:57 am

OOC: <3 :D

Even in her melancholy and slightly nostalgic state, Liz believed it was high time she got to know some of her packmates better; beyond the Cormiers themselves, she knew very little of the rest of the Krokarans besides their names and ranks. Maybe knowing so little of them was contributing to her feeling of disconnect from the pack as a whole – so she did her best to wave away the niggling discomfort which seemed to always come with dwelling on things as the sunny-eyed male approached.

“Ah, that's good,” was the dog's sincere reply. Once she was on her feet she could feel her energy coming back to her and her typical alertness shone in her nutmeg eyes. “'n how's the herd?” Though Eliza knew little of Milos besides his good nature, striking bi-colour coat and propensity to dress in smart shirts – smart, at least, compared to her own regular lack of clothing – she knew he had done quite a bit of work with the caribou. Liz made it no secret that she was especially fond and proud of the herd, having transferred a couple of them from the Cormier's previous home herself. She hadn't spent as much time amongst the beasts lately as she would have liked, and she wondered vaguely if they had missed her company.

One coarse eyebrow lifted and her lips parted in surprise at Milos' questioning tone. How could anyone not know about the ritual of catching fireflies? Sometimes Eliza forgot that though they shared a territory and perhaps a way of life now, the Krokaran members came from very different backgrounds. “Yeh!” she piped up, her expression lifting from confusion to wonder as she gestured to the bugs glowing softly by the shore. “We always made a game of it, y'know? See who could catch the most – but always let 'em go after.” Her gaze softened as she looked out to the dancing lights. “They're lit from within, see. My Ma used to say that fireflies can illuminate parts of us, too. Make us see ourselves better.”

“Here. You take this,” the bearded female offered, grinning as she held the jar out. “I'll show ya how to net 'em. They're not too fast, but you still gotta be careful, no sudden movements.” Gripping the handle of the net with both hands, Liz moved with surprising grace and nimbleness. She pranced down the grassy incline and advanced toward the sandy shore, pausing a good few yards from the winking lights to look over her shoulder at the novice firefly catcher. “Ready?” she murmured, rising onto tiptoes in anticipation.

[400+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:30 pm

OOC: Ha, Milos you goon.

The herd. Milos smiled as he thought about the goats. Amara and her own surviving kid seemed to be getting along well enough, though the both of them were far more demanding than the resident pair. Billy and Jean, and their brood of four, seemed healthy and happy too. His grinned as he thought about the caprines. ”Th’ goats’re doin’ well ‘nough,” he replied, beaming. Then, with a start, he reconsidered Eliza’s question. Herd? When had he ever seen Liz near the goats? Ah crap,” he thought to himself. ”En’t talkin’ ‘bout th’ goats, huh?” he asked quietly, his ears drooping in embarrassment. Of course she wasn’t talking about the goats! Why would she, when two of the of caribou belonged to her? ”Er… in any case. Th’ goats’re doin’ well but so’re the’ caribou,” he corrected, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. ”Few of ‘em’re pregnant but they seem in good health.”

As he was silently berating himself for being so oblivious, Eliza had moved on to talk about fireflies and capturing them for their own use. He shifted his gaze back upon her pools of ember, which had become dark as chocolate in the dying light. ”A game?” he repeated quietly to himself. Milos knew little about games, aside from the dishonorable activities brought forth by his old slavemaster. They scarcely could be considered games, however much Ulick tried to convince them otherwise. The Wayfarer shook away his memories and felt himself reeled in by the Cormier’s explanation. ”Really?” he asked, wondering for a moment if he wanted to see himself better.

Before he could dissent, Eliza had thrust the jar towards him and Milos felt himself unable to decline her offer. ”Okay,” he replied with a soft smile, feeling the cool surface of smooth glass in his palms. ”Can do that, I reckon.” And with that, the tricolor dog had traipsed towards the shore. The Wayfarer paused for a moment but felt encouraged by her verfication. He dipped his head with conviction and started towards him, quietly and with great care. ”Might be I am,” he replied, his brows furrowed with determination despite the grin on his maw. ”Where do we start?”

[WC: 366]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:16 am

OOC: y he so adorbz xD

IC:
Milos began to talk about the goats, before correcting himself and telling Eliza that the caribou were also doing well. He seemed embarrassed, and Liz attempted to put him at ease with a smile – she didn't really care if he had thought she was referring to the goats. It was always pleasant to hear from someone who enjoyed their work, and at the end of the day all of Krokar's animals were of value to the pack. Still, she couldn't hide her excitement at the mention of some of the caribou cows being pregnant. “Anyu?” she immediately asked, simultaneously wanting to know how her favourite reindeer was getting on and being ashamed of the fact that she had such a clear favourite.

The Wayfarer treated the word game as if it was a foreign object, and Eliza gave a bob of her head, her smile widening again to a grin bright enough to set the embers of the day aglow. It didn't matter to her if Milos wasn't a great player of games – she would be more than happy to show him how it was done. “Yeh! They're all about illumination and enlightenmen', fireflies! Or so my Ma said. Can't say I've looked very hard at myself, though. Doesn' do much good to dwell on yaself too much, y'know?” A pensive expression overtook the Cormier female's face, as if she was indeed inwardly studying herself, but she giggled and spoke again: “Plus I'd prob'ly go cross-eyed.”

Liz wasn't entirely sure what possessed her to say it, but as Milos smiled she felt it needed to be pointed out: “Don' worry, you'll do fine at it! Yer two fireflies ahead of me already.” She gestured, briefly, to his eyes before taking off towards the lake, her legs slightly bent to carry her closer to the ground and her movements quiet.

He was grinning when Eliza peeped over her shoulder, and for a moment she simply grinned back before shaking herself into reality. Firefly catching, whilst a game, was undertaken the same way all of her endeavours were: with determination and eagerness.

“Like this,” she murmured, her voice straining at the low volume. “You creep 'round over there and I'm gon' head in with the net. Should be able to net a few and transfer em into the jar.” The dog's eyes turned to the gently winking fireflies, her brow set in resolution. She lifted the net to an angle and slid forward, paws relishing the smoothness of sand beneath her pads. She swung the net as if in slow motion, guiding the bugs into it rather than swiping at them. Those on the periphery of the group scattered, heading for the sky, but the cluster of lights in the centre were seized against the mesh. Eliza giggled again and moved towards Milos to deposit the catch into the jar. “Told ya they weren't the fastest! Now hold the jar upside down – they always crawl up, never down. And we just put the net underneath the openin' – and that's it!”

[500+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:55 am

OOC: Awww, Liz x3

Milos grinned. ”Anyu’s one of ‘em,” he said, feeling his own joy grow with Eliza’s excitement. Tapping his chin thoughtfully, he considered who else among the caribou were pregnant. ”Jill’n Nanni’re gonna have calves too, I think. All of ‘em’re gettin’ big. Reckon they’ll calf soon.” The Wayfarer hoped he would have the courtesy of assisting with the births, feeling that the experience may come in handy some day.

The faint glimmer of light caught his attention and the Wayfarer swept his gaze to the left, watching as a firefly put on its solo production. He listened to his packmate’s musings about the nocturnal insects. Enlightenment? With a gentle flick of orange, Milos glanced back at Eliza and noted her pensive expression. What was she thinking about? Did she believe her mother’s words? While watching the fireflies earlier, the repetitive wax and wane of light had a meditative effect on him. Was that what she meant about illumination and enlightenment?

He could scarce remember when he’d seen this side of the dog, this reflective and mildly serious side that the woman seemed to tuck safely away from prying eyes. She was a bit like himself in that way. But just as suddenly as it had come, the spell was broken by Liz’s laughter and Milos smiled warmly back at her. ”Might be ya surprise yourself,” he replied softly, giving her an encouraging wink.

Eliza’s comment left him in a state of perplexity. He blinked at her backside, his lips pursed crookedly as he attempted to make sense of her meaning. She had gestured at his face; did she mean his eyes? He gave a short bark of laughter. ”Reckon ya en’t got a chance ‘gainst me, then,” he replied, grinning. She looked over her shoulder then and the gradual flicking of countless fireflies dotted her with glowing light. It seemed to Milos in that moment that the woman staring back at him commanded the very essence of radiance and peace.

Milos huffed a soft laugh and averted his gaze, following after his packmate with the jar quickly warming between his hands. He swung his gaze around to where she gestured for him to go and gave a determined nod of understanding before padding softly away. From there he watched Liz at the game, sweeping the net slowly around glowly clumps of fireflies to guide them gently into her cage of mesh. It reminded him a little of when Hazel herded the livestock and the Wayfarer found himself better able to understand the techniques with this in mind.

He smiled again at her giggles and watched as she approached. Doing as instructed, he flipped the jar around and held it over the net, eyeing the beetles while they flitted up into their new enclosure. ”En’t nothin’ easier!” he said, glancing up from the jar. ”What d’ we do with ‘em now?”

[WC: 480]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:27 am

OOC: I know, right :P

IC:
Eliza was doing her best to rally – to be her usual chirpy self – but she had a feeling that Milos saw straight through her. She brushed off the contemplative mood she had inadvertently created with more ease than it had arrived, but she appreciated the Wayfarer's words all the same. They seemed encouraging. In what was perhaps an ironic twist, Liz was hoping that her pensive mood didn't put Milos off talking to her; serious words and thoughts sometimes felt like allergens to the bright eyed, bushy tailed woman. They weren't the side she necessarily wanted to present to others unless she knew them very well – and she didn't know Milos very well, yet.

Moving off toward the fireflies, Liz left her worries and deep thoughts like a skin freshly shed behind her. The male with the firefly eyes' bark of laughter sailed towards her and Eliza peeped over her shoulder to giggle at his suggestion that she didn't stand a chance against him. She would have shot back a playful retort but she was reluctant to startle the winking bugs, so she let the sparkle in her eyes do the talking instead.

It wasn't the most energetic of games; it required patience which Liz didn't have a huge stock of – but she was used to having to move gently and surely for the sake of the more nervous livestock. Softly marshalling the fireflies felt almost like a dance, a pursuit Liz was fond of, and one she didn't often get to indulge in. Even after she had encouraged the lightning bugs into the jar, her movements were full of a grace she hadn't had before the game.

Milos seemed pleased with their catch – pleased with himself, even, and Liz beamed in the soft light from the jar. “Now we uh – well – I guess now we use 'em to light the way back to the village.” There was a hint of disappointment in her voice as she realised that she'd had no great plans for the captured fireflies.

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

OOC: why so serious? :|

Watching Eliza dance about the reeds, her movements so smooth and precise, lulled Milos’ mind into a state of quiet reflection. ”They're all about illumination and enlightenmen', fireflies!” Those were her words, passed down from her mother’s own beliefs. A scoff of bitter amusement slipped between his lips, curled in a humorless grin. He could encourage others to open up about themselves and would listen all day if they chose to disclose the deepest parts of themselves, but the Wayfarer knew better than most how difficult a task that was to take on. He preferred to keep himself shrouded in shadows from even himself, though he longed for enlightenment. He longed for complete acceptance.

But there had been so many wrongs. And so much shame. Full acceptance meant full disclosure and full disclosure meant revealing more than Milos was comfortable admitting even to himself.

Pulling himself out of his reverie was easy and as he locked bright eyes with Eliza, he felt his heart lifting. Her glee was infectious, wiping clean the unpleasant thoughts and insidious doubts from his thoughtful mind and replacing a face of contemplation with a beaming cheerfulness that reflected the soft glow of the orange light. He looked into the jar at the unlucky beetles before glancing in the direction of Fiskebyn. Liz’s note of disappointment was not lost on him but Milos didn’t feel the same way. ”Good a use as any,” he replied, smiling.

The light of the fireflies had provided him an uncomfortable look within himself - a reminder of things he had yet to overcome - but it was Eliza who had left him with a sliver of hope; that knowledge that this wasn't something he needed to overcome by himself. If he had the strength and the resolve, he knew his pack mates would help him see it through to the end. And such things were worth overcoming. For himself, but also for them.

[WC: 321]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics