A woman on a mission

Naenia

POSTED: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:17 am

It had been several months since Liz had taken a trip to the Outpost, and even longer since she had had a good reason to visit the trading site. In spite of how quiet she'd been back home lately, the Krokaran found that she could slot easily into the milling, chattering figures. Though her primary objective on this fine Summer day was to observe, the flame-haired dog offered a bright smile to anyone whose eye she caught. It felt good to be around the semi-familiar figures of the Outpost's regular traders; better than in the silence of her own home. She didn't know any of these faces well enough for them to ask questions of her, either – that was refreshing.

One gloved and freckled hand shielded the Cormier female's eyes, her lips pursed as if in the horns of a dilemma. If Liz wanted to hold a stall here – and she did, to a point which surprised her – she knew that it was important to find a decent spot. She would have to consult Finlay, too, but until she got back to her elder brother it wouldn't hurt to study the natural flow of foot traffic through the Outpost.

It seemed to Liz that the visiting canines would most naturally flow in one of two directions, either clockwise or anti-clockwise around the vaguely circular space. She watched for a few minutes with keen eyes to see if either direction was favoured, but it remained unclear.

Next Liz looked to the permanent traders, wondering who would be the least offensive to set up near. Perhaps near the corral... Liz liked horses and imagined that their traders would have some colourful stories, although she wasn't sure that would be considered a good reason for wanting to pitch a stall near them. The scent was somehow a comfort, despite Eliza being more accustomed to the musk of caribou.

She had wandered around to the hitching post again and decided to lean against a spot beside the gate for a few moments to collect her thoughts.

[300+]

Rat
Luperci Mate to Milos as one we are everything we need
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:43 pm

OOC: I'm still working on Sylvestre's wiki, but he's an Afghan hound mix and very butler-y. xD Kind of a wimp.

IC:
Already, Naenia was quite sure that she did not like Nova Scotia, so of course, this was where Rafael would have gone. Arms crossed, her eyes scanned the various canines at the trading post. One female stood out due to her flecked fur, and the fact that she seemed to be all over the post as Naenia walked around.

"Sylvestre," she said in a sharp tone and her assistant stepped up next to her.

"Yes, Ma'am?" He responded.

"That female. She seems to be watching everyone. Perhaps she will have some information for us." She pointed to the canine, who was clearly a dog. Sylvestre nodded.

"I think she would be a good place to start," he agreed as she knew he would. He always seemed to agree with her, except when she was about to do something dangerous. Then he objected and she generally ignored him, unless he had a better idea than what she was about to do.

The armored, brindle female stepped forward with Sylvestre at her heels. She went to rest her hand casually on the pommel of her sword, only to remember that she had checked it at the gate, as was required. Naenia understood why that was required, but it was no less irritating. Instead, she dropped her arms to her side.

"Hello there," Naenia said when she was close to the female. "I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me." She realized that sounded a bit like an interrogation. "I'm looking for information about the area."

Myst
Luperci You sunk my battle ship! Home is not where you are from. It is where you belong. Some of us travel the whole world to find it. Others find it in a person.
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
but you're not afraid of me
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:50 am

Eliza's eyes swept around the stalls – or, more accurately, the spaces where a potential stall could be hitched. Already she was imagining her own voice joining with the bartering, making trades in an effort to benefit her pack and family and bring home some bacon. As usual, the Cormier woman was getting ahead of herself, although she would rather call it being prepared.

Amongst the nickering of horses from behind and the murmurings of the Luperci in front of her, Liz heard a voice which didn't quite fit. Her gaze stopped its roaming and alighted on a pair of canines who were talking nearby, one more loudly than the other. The female's colouring reminded her of Fin's, only warmer in tone, and Eliza was fairly sure that Finlay would have envied the silken mane of hair which was tied back from her face. The face itself was slightly odd in its shape, exotic, and the male who seemed to be agreeing with her shared a similar profile.

Liz's curiousity was piqued even before the pair of strangers made their way towards her. Her grin broadened slightly as they approached. She wondered if they thought she might be a trader already – that would certainly feel good.

The female wasted no time in addressing the Cormier dog, her voice clear in spite of the accent it bore. Liz pushed a stray curl of ginger hair out of her eyes, looking the brindle figure up and down – more up than down, really, since there was a significant height difference between the two women. She noticed the motion of a hand going as if to rest upon something at her waist, and guessed that she was used to carrying a weapon.

This female was direct, and Liz responded in kind:

“Well I'm just jam packed with knowledge about the area." It was only half a lie. "What is it ya want to know?”

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 pm

OOC: Naenia is calling Eliza’s ticking spots. xD

IC:
Spots. This dog had spots. Naenia was not sure she had seen anything quite like it before, especially not mostly isolated to a dog’s legs like that. She supposed it could not be that strange, though, since she herself had some striping in her pattern. Still. Spots. Sylvestre cleared his throat next to her and Naenia realized that the woman had agreed to answer her questions.

Now, what were those again?

“Good, thank you,” Naenia replied. She supposed it would be a bad idea to immediately describe Rafael to her and ask if she had seen him; just asking random canines and hoping to magically ask the right one was not going to help. If she was to be successful in finding him, she needed to know more about the area. It would also help her if she needed to find somewhere to stay.

"Ah, my Name is Naenia Ortega, by the way. This is Sylvestre," she gestured to him, figuring an introduction was in order. “We'll start with this. What do you know about the packs in this area?” Naenia asked. She was not able to find out much in Freetown when they were trading for Sylvestre’s horse. A couple of the canines they talked to were able to tell them that there were packs up this way, but not much else. Naenia only hoped that this was indeed the way her fugitive rival had actually gone.

"Locations, friendliness, that sort of thing," Sylvestre added. Naenia shot him an unhappy look and then turned her gaze back to the canine in front of them and nodded.

Myst
Luperci You sunk my battle ship! Home is not where you are from. It is where you belong. Some of us travel the whole world to find it. Others find it in a person.
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:19 am

OOC: xD

IC:
The tall woman had brindle stripes which looked like fire snaking across a field of wheat and a somehow noble face which made Eliza wonder if she had been high ranking wherever she came from. Exotic was the best word she could find to describe her appearance; beautiful, too, that much was undeniable. The man who stood with her had less remarkable colouring, though his fur had a truly impressive texture. Apart from feeling small in their presence, Eliza felt rather plain with her close coat and predominantly liver colouring.

“'m Eliza,” she chirped, for some reason bending slightly at the waist in an awkward bow.

Even so, the Cormier smiled up at them, politely waiting for the woman to voice her questions. She spoke the native tongue well, but Liz found herself listening to her accent more than the words themselves. It wasn't until her companion spoke up about locations and friendliness that Eliza stopped listening to the intonations and thought about the question.

This was where she might get caught out after boasting of her knowledge of the area: Krokar was a relatively young pack, and Eliza had done woefully little travelling beyond its borders. Still, she knew the rough locations of the Northern packs simply because she had smelt their borders; she could probably name the Northern packs and had some very basic knowledge of their ways.

“Ah,” she murmured in what she hoped was a knowing tone. “Well, if ya follow the coast east there's a pack o' Vikings, least that's what they seem to call themselves. Pretty big pack, we set up a livestock program with 'em some months ago.” Eliza faintly remembered seeing one or two of the Vinattans around the Krokaran territories, with their hammer charms around their necks. “North of the Vikings there's a mountain – on the other side of that's another pack, not as large as the first – we had a visit from a bunch of 'em more recently, 'n' they seemed interested in trading with us. Then over to the West, right round a bunch o' waters we call the Watershed, there's us – Krokar! We're a pretty simple bunch, we like our trading 'n' our fishing 'n' caribou – and I won't lie, the Captain's family are a good lookin' lot.”

Liz cleared her throat somewhat apologetically after her speech as one hand rose to stroke her beard. “Was any of that useful to ya?”

[400+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:02 pm

The bow was strange, but Naenia would certainly not criticize it aloud. She hated formalities like that at court back in Onuba and that this place might lack them was one of the few things she had been looking forward to.

As Eliza started speaking, Naenia glanced at Sylvestre, who quickly took out a scrap of old paper and a writing utensil. As she spoke, he scribbled rapidly and Naenia hoped that his notes would be legible later. He was generally good at this sort of thing, but he seemed to be scrambling a bit this time.

"Vikings, hm," Naenia murmured. There were books back home with so-called Vikings in them. There were faded drawings of helmets with horns on them and large battle axes. She wondered if this pack was anything like those warriors. That they were apparently a large pack told Naenia that it was possible they could have taken in Rafael as a refugee and been able to support having a mouth to feed. Having a livestock program set up with another pack suggested they were friendly. And yet, they were Vikings.

Naenia listened to the information about the other packs as well. The fact that both packs liked to trade was good. Perhaps they may have seen Rafael at some point, or had more information that would be of use. There had to be more packs around here, too. She would need to ask around more. Naenia missed the meaning when Eliza mentioned the Captains' family being good looking and Sylvestre frowned slightly at that bit of information.

"It was, yes," Naenia said with a nod. She glanced over and waited until Sylvestre had finished writing. He reached up and pushed back some hair from his face and seemed ready to take more notes.

"What was the name of the pack on the other side of the mountain?" She asked. Sylvestre moved back to make that addition if Eliza knew it. "And, do you know about how long it would take to get to each of them?"

Myst
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:43 pm

If Eliza hadn't felt cowed by the pair's height and grace of movement, then she certainly felt a bit silly throwing around her usual banter and light-heartedness when they both seemed to have a serious intention behind their questions. The smaller dog cleared her throat awkwardly as she awaited the next question. At least she couldn't accuse the woman of dilly-dallying over what she wanted to know. And Eliza had claimed that she was a fountain of knowledge on the area.

The male was scribbling something down, although the refined appearances of the pair (in comparison, at least, to Liz's scruffy mop of flaming hair and slightly grubby white flecks) made the Cormier woman think that even his fastest handwriting would somehow come out neat and calligraphic. Her ears twitched lightly and she nodded when the female told her that her information had been useful. Eliza couldn't help wondering what use it would be put to, exactly. She rose slightly, halfway between the flat of her pads and tiptoes, casting her gaze towards the notes which were being taken but thinking better of peeking. She lowered herself with a meek smile.

“Over the mountain, that there's Sapient,” the curious woman supplied, vaguely proud of herself for remembering the highly humanized pack's name. “From here?” The floppy-eared dog's head angled to one side as she considered the travelling distance between the Outpost and each of the packs; she was more used to calculating the distance between Krokar and everywhere else, and yet more used to not doing any calculations at all before setting out on a journey.

“Krokar's less than a day's ride; I'd say the same o' the Viking place, but they're in opposin' directions. The others might take ya a day or two to reach.”

Eliza glanced again at the male who seemed to be jotting down the details. Had she been taller she would have been beyond tempted to glance over his shoulder; as it was, she would have to come out and voice what was on her mind in a straight-forward way:

“If yer after somethin' specific I mighta seen it on me travels?”

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Naenia was not sure where else she would want to know travel times from but instead of saying so, she merely nodded and then waited with feigned patience as the Krokar female thought on the question. Perhaps she knew the travel times from her own pack, and was figuring out the difference from here. Either way, the brief lull allowed Sylvestre to catch up on his notes. Although his handwriting was good by Luperci standards, Naenia knew wanted to be able to read what he wrote later.

Then she spoke again and Sylvestre noted the various traveling times that she mentioned. The dog was not particularly specific on the information but a day or two was not a long time to travel, so Naenia was not too concerned about that, especially since they were able to acquire a horse for Sylvestre in Freetown.

"Alright, thank you," Naenia said as Sylvestre finished writing. Naenia had noticed the Krokaran's attempts to see what Sylvestre was writing but said nothing. It was certainly not private information by any means. Then the female asked what they were looking for and she considered her answer. 'I'm here to find and kill a fugitive' probably would not go over too well, so she quickly came up with a slightly modified story.

"I'm looking for a fugitive from overseas. He fled here to avoid punishment for a murder." That was true, and she figured leaving out the death sentence she planned to carry out if his story did not make sense was a good idea. "He arrived in Freetown about a month ago, so there is no trail for us to follow. We thought to ask around at various packs to see if they had seen him." It was as good a plan as any, really since there was no sign of him staying in Freetown.

Myst
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
and I can't convince you

Dead Topics