Thoughts a-cookin'

Nvda

POSTED: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:50 pm

OOC: <3 Ramble ramble xD

IC:
The sky was a crisp blue patched with fluffy clouds – the type of sky which seemed to encourage Eliza to lose herself in daydreams of Summers gone by. Daydreaming wasn't practical, but it allowed her respite from the realities of her life.

It wasn't that her life was bad – far from it – but there were certain things the liver-pelted dog just didn't want to face up to. Things she knew which she wished she didn't; secrets thrust upon her without her permission. For someone as gossipy as Eliza, it was a conundrum. One hand balled into a fist as the petite dog trailed around the lakeside, while the other gripped a short fishing spear which she was yet to use – so far it had seen more use as a crutch to lean on whenever she stopped and sighed than as the hunting implement it truly was.

She waded out into the shallows, blinking slowly at the dancing of light across the water. She tried to peer through the sun's reflected glare, beyond her own scowling face to pick out the movements of fish. She didn't have much luck. Rather than stabbing blindly with her spear, the Cormier sister waited, feeling herself tense despite every deep breath she took. She couldn't hunt with so much weighing on her mind – she could barely function at all, and she didn't even have Peony to unload her worries onto. Though the pair had argued regularly, Peony would have kept her secret and maybe even have tried to help her with it.

The water sloshed merrily around the dog's calves, and after what felt like an age she spotted the signature fluidity of a fish moving below the surface. She put her all into thrusting the spear at it – every ounce of strength and determination she had. And she was rewarded, when she lifted the spear's tip, by the sight of a flailing, shining fish.

Her smile was triumphant but small compared to her usual lip-stretching grin. It didn't touch her eyes as she strode up the sandy beach. Her nose twitched at the scent of seafood cooking, and she adjusted her steps to come face to face with the cook. Distraction was just what she needed. Her eyes didn't quite meet the cream-furred woman as she held out the fish. “I'm Eliza. Reckon ya can show me how's best to cook this?”

[400+]

Rat
Luperci Mate to Milos as one we are everything we need
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:22 pm

My Dream Are Bursting At The Seams

She was getting better with the net. At least, she was kind of getting better. She had caught a fish and that was all that mattered right? In truth she much preferred the caribou and their adoptable calves, unfortunately Nvda loved the taste of fish and seafood, especially cooked in a sand oven on the beach and wrapped with corn husks. Her supply was dwindling of the corn husks though and she would need to trade for more. If you could even find them in this part of the lands. Maybe she should trek back to AniWaya. Though, that thought didn't seem very appealing in the middle of summer, maybe closer to the end of the year.

Nvda pondered away to herself as she dug the hole into the sand and transferred some coals over. She already had her clams cooking. The small handful would hardly be a snack but they would be delicious anyway. Her cooking skin set over the fire was at a rolling boil now and the clams would be opening. Wiping at her brow, Nvda laid some of the driftwood she had found on top of the coals and coaxed it into life. The flames would consume the wood and then burn down low whilst she prepared her fish.

She was just turning to do so when a voice rang out across the sand. A liver colored female came towards her with a fish dangling from her spear. Nvda felt envious, she had not yet managed to catch anything with a spear. "I'm Nvda Eclipse. I think I could. I'm just about to start prepping my own." Hers was contained in a basket where the flies couldn't get to it. Eliza's fish was freshly caught and still ungutted, its skin still shiny and slick from the water. "Do you want me to gut it for you..?" The sharp angled hybrid gestured to the fish. All of a sudden they were interrupted by Clarence hawing loudly at the new arrival, the Mammoth Jack was stood under the shade of the trees watching the pair with interest, "Oh hush you."

POSTED: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:43 pm

The sharply carved face looked up from her cooking, revealing a pair of oddly coloured eyes: one seemed to match with her golden and cream coat, while the other, a pleasant blue, complemented the warmer hues. She introduced herself as Nvda Eclipse, and Eliza bobbed her head in acknowledgement, her ponytail rippling like flames in the warm air. Liz was guessing that she had missed Nvda's arrival in Krokar, too caught up in her own troubles – but that wouldn't stop the liver-pelted dog from trying to make the best of things now.

Eliza beamed, swiftly removing the fish from the spear tip and offering it out to her packmate with both hands. “Those smell good!” she breathed, gesturing with one white-flecked hand towards the little oven and bending at the waist to take a peek before thinking better of getting so close to the flames.

Laying her spear down in the sand, the dog gave a casual shrug. “If ya like – been catchin' 'n' guttin' them my whole life though, so it's no skin off my nose to do it.” She grinned then, not wanting Nvda to think she was being rude. “Always had a taste for cookin' too, but still learnin',” Eliza explained – just as what appeared to be an oversized donkey hawed at the pair from the shade. Nvda gave him what seemed to be a good-natured reprimand as Eliza's eyes widened. “What is he?” One foot hovered over the warm sand as Liz debated going over to Nvda's long-eared friend, but knowing nothing of his temperament, she hesitated. Her grin shrank to a slightly apologetic smile: “Got a gelding maself, great big dollop that 'e is. Name's Flod – what's his?”

The dog turned her gaze back to the sharp-featured woman; better to take care of pleasantries than to bother the equine, particularly if she was asking her to do her a favour. “How long ya been in Krokar then, Nvda?”

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:42 pm

The friendly female chattered a mile a minute and Nvda would have been instantly irritated if it hadn't been for the genuine feeling of friendship she felt from the woman. Her excitement was almost infectious, her exuberance overflowing. It was almost a shock to Nvda's system who spent much of her time with only the company of her Donkey and cats. "Thank you. I boil them and then mix them with wild garlic, cream and salt and pepper to make a nice sauce." Nvda enjoyed her cooking very much, and didn't find at all explaining how she made a certain dish to any who where interested to learn.

She took the fish from Eliza, turning over the small ocean dwelling animal, "I'm trying to practice so I can get better, quicker. My Etsi.. uhh my mother.. she would catch and cook fish for me as a young girl. But on the move I didn't often come across fish, just meat. I'm sure I'll Know the ropes soon enough" She grinned. Of course, Nvda having grown up in AniWaya spoke with their inclinations and accent, their tribal language slipped out quite easily into her conversations.

Nvda took out her knife and went to work on the fish, leaning on her small folding prep table that she had. "He's a Mammoth Jack Donkey, you can go and say hello. He won't bite, he likes having his ears scratched." She worked on slicing open the fish and extracting its innards as carefully as she could. She was probably heaps slower than any of the other Krokans but she would improve fast. "He's called Clarence. He kind of fell into my possession, his owner died and I was the only one to care for him." She shrugged. "We've been here only a couple of moons, not long at all. Just before all the flooding and storms and stuff."

Finally the fish was gutted and cleaned out with some sea water she had in a bucket, the salt would add nicely to the flavor. She straightened and fished several pouches out, each pouch contained a dried herb of some kind, she had all sorts. Along her journey she would pick and dry and then crush them to keep her stocks up. The access to the caribou's milk also provided her with cream to make butter. "Usually when I'm cooking fish like this in the sand oven, I'll stuff it with herbs and butter and then wrap it up in corn husks so it doesn't burn. I don't know what herbs you'll like though, so if you want to try a bit of each? Unless you already know what you like?" She cocked her head to the side in question.

Last edited by Nvda Eclipse on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:25 am

OOC: "Ta" means thanks xD

IC:
The corners of Eliza's eyes were creased by a typically dazzling smile. Her nose twitched as Nvda explained the ingredients of the sauce she liked to prepare for the clams. Liz's tongue swept out to wet her lips and nose in anticipation. “Sounds delicious!” was the enthusiastic response before her voice dropped to a loud whisper, brown eyes darting about. “Not done too much experimentation with herbs maself – Pepper's pointed out some of the edible ones 'n' I tend to – erm - nick 'em from her in small amounts.” Eliza's grin was still broad and bright, but she still hoped that Nvda wouldn't go blabbing to the pack's gardener. Although Liz figured that Pepper knew where her herbs occasionally disappeared to, she didn't want an all-out confrontation with the Coydog. She hoped Nvda could be trusted with this minor secret.

The sandy furred woman said that she wanted to become more adept at gutting fish, and Eliza saw no reason to deny her the practice. There was something vaguely familiar about the word Nvda used to describe her mother, but Liz couldn't put her finger on it. She let Nvda get to work on gutting the fish without giving any instruction, though her nutmeg eyes were watchful. “All ya need is practice – muscle memory, y'know? Comes a time when you can do it on autopilot.”

With the gutting of the fish underway and Nvda confirming that he was friendly, Liz's gaze turned to the Mammoth Jack. She stretched out a hand as she padded over to the beast, clicking her tongue softly. “'Ello, Clarence. Next time I'm dolin' out treats to the caribou I'll save ya a little somethin'.” The equine flicked an ear and Liz took a final step which allowed her to reach up and scratch behind the elongated appendages.

Soon, though, she was skipping back to Nvda's side, casting an approving eye over the gutted fish. Nvda drew out some pouches and Eliza could tell from the aromas filling the air that each was full of herbs – a real cocktail of flavours. “Guess a bit o' everythin' would probably diminish the experience, huh?” she asked, looking mildly disappointed by her own assumption. “I'll give 'em a try and see what's good – ta.”

The dog took a pinch from the first pouch and placed it on her tongue, rolling the dried herb around her mouth so she could fully appreciate the flavour. “Mmm. Butter, did ya say? 'n' you make it yerself? Stone me, butter was a rare treat when I was growin' up!” Eliza had a new level of respect for Nvda with her cookery skills, and resolved then and there to try and glean as much information as she could from her packmate.

[400+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Eliza's small secret was safe with Nvda who had never even met this supposed gardener, but she did feel to offer, "If you ever need something, you can ask me. I probably have it in my store." Small amounts she could give away, it wasn't like it was particularly hard work to dry herbs. Just tie them up and let them hang. She hummed a soft AniWayan sing to herself as she worked.

Nvda wasn't a particularly talkative person but Eliza's chattering more than covered up any silences that might have arose while the Greenhorn was focused on gutting the fish. She laughed softly as she listened to Eliza talking to Clarence. He was a big softie and enjoyed any kind of attention, "He'll think you're First Rate in no time." She was beginning to pick up the sailor pack's nautical slang too, slowly.

"Yes. It's really quite easy, if tiring and time consuming. If you're willing to put the effort in then it's rewarding. I tend not to make much at a time because it spoils quickly in the summer because its so hot. Rinsing it with the salt water seems to help preserve it at least for a few days longer, something about the salt I think. Nvda was observant and enjoyed experimenting to draw conclusions form assumptions. It was how she had mananged to figure that she could get salt from the sea water too.

Last edited by Nvda Eclipse on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

POSTED: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:42 am

OOC: Eliza chooses.. chervil xD

IC:
Nvda didn't seem perturbed by the fact that Eliza was prone to stealing herbs from Pepper – in fact, she offered her own stores for the Cormier dog to dip into. This earned her a toothy grin from Liz and a quick “Thanks!” before she turned her attention to the overgrown donkey, chattering away almost nonsensically as Nvda hummed an unfamiliar, but pleasant, tune.

This sort of company was nice – it was easy. For once, Eliza wasn't pushing too hard for friendship and it seemed to be paying off. Nvda hadn't fixed her with a look of annoyance yet, which was always a good sign, and she even laughed softly at the words the Greenhorn spoke to her equine companion. Something about the red-haired woman put Eliza at ease. This, she thought, was how friendships were supposed to start.

Returning to the small oven, Liz taste tested a few of the herbs as an array of expressions played out across her features. She nibbled off the smallest portion of each, rolling the flavours around her mouth one by one before flattening her palm and sorting the herbs in order of personal preference. Eliza never turned down an opportunity to organize things.

“You tried makin' caribou butter?” she inquired, tilting her head as she took a second nibble of her favourite of the herbs. Eliza had never seen it done herself, but she supposed butter could be made from any sort of milk. “Maybe I can get ya some milk some time, reckon Anyu would be quite amenable to it.”

“This one, definitely,” she announced next, holding up her herb of choice as if it were excalibur. It had a delicate taste, with a hint of something Eliza couldn't pinpoint. She could imagine it going well with the fish, but her face indicated that she was still open to suggestions from Nvda: “What ya reckon? What's this one called?”

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

Dead Topics