I'll be Queen Bee

POSTED: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:43 pm

OOC: Just looking for someone to come and talk to her. Open to sparring, someone showing up and teaching her how to fight with a sword, or someone looking to train with that she can try and teach the bow to!

Izrian hadn't been the most social of Hollrs lately, in fact, her pack mates would probably wonder where she'd been. Every morning had become the same, wake up, go out to the clearing with her father and train until lunch time. After lunch, back to Jordheim to her targets amongst the treeline, practicing her work with her bow. Occasionally she'd see Andira and ask for pointers, but most of the time she was working on her own skills, her posture, her efficiency and aim. Soon working with the bow had become second nature and she was yearning to master another weapon. That title, the thing she dreamed of each night before sleep claimed her, it hung above everything she did. Araedi Izrian was so close she could feel it, but she didn't just want to be part of the tribe of warriors and defenders.

She wanted to be the best there was.

And so after her afternoon session with the bow she had taken to wandering around, looking for a new weapon to test out. Going into the weapons stash of the Araedi had gotten her in trouble once before, and she didn't want to ask her father for a sword just yet. That was the weapon she really wanted, but she was so afraid of him saying no that she hadn't yet. There were no swords just laying about waiting for her to claim them, so the quickly-growing Firebringer let out a sigh. Plunking down in the grass she stretched her legs out in front of her, smoothing down the small skirt she'd taken to wearing. Clothing was the norm here, but Izrian had chosen things that were small of short which would stay out of her way while she was training.

Pulling her bow into her lap she set about taking care of it, cleaning it and studying the fine points of the arrows she'd made.

POSTED: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:54 am

OOC: have an annoying cousin another aspiring Araedi? They could spar and/or share pointers about their weapons and/or compare their knowledge about their chosen paths? I'm good with anything.
also feel free to skip pretty much everything but the last paragraph god i'm winded D:

Lush vegetation danced playfully on the light summer breeze, reveling in the warm glow of sun's golden rays. A butterfly fluttered erratically across a worn path and alighted upon a vibrant yellow coneflower moments before the youth crossed it. She was an adolescent though her ungainly legs and pudgy middle had long since given way to long, solid limbs and a curvy build. Her ears, though shortened unnaturally from frostbite, had stubbornly remained larger than average; a fact the girl was becoming increasingly aware she would just need to accept. As she neared the small village of Jordheim, the young wolf slowed her pace to a trot and sucked in the soothing aromas of the village. Home.

Thyri Dawnbringer padded easily through the village towards her mother's house, her fishtail braid waving jovially behind her. Bursts of violet dotted her blonde mane where she'd weaved in florets of fireweed and around her neck lay the characteristic symbol of Vinátta, its warm wooden surface pressing comfortably against her chest. Occasionally she went out around the territory alone in mock patrols, like today, but she still had far too much to learn. Despite her youth, she was not too proud to recognize that the time she spend with the older Araedi and Vald was far more valuable than make-believe situations and altercations she thought up when she was by herself. But her training didn't just involve recognizing dangers and hazards, she also needed to continue honing her skills in combat and self-defense.

Solveig, the Nordic woman who had spent some time in Vinátta the past winter, had given Thyri a generous head start in self-defense after her ordeal with Solas had left her paralyzed with doubt. The time spent training under her had not only strengthened the girl's body, but had also empowered her mind. She was strong and she could defend herself. She would never be powerless again. Prior to her departure, Solli had bestowed upon Thyri her Dane axe with the stipulation that she continue her training. The girl had fallen into a brief bout of depression after she'd gone away, forgetting entirely about the axe and her promise to her mentor. But with the advent of summer, the Dawnbringer's confidence had returned and she resolved to uphold her vow. She would not let Solveig down.

Retrieving a large Dane axe from where she stored it away from prying eyes, Thyri gripped the smooth wooden shaft and hefted its weight. The metal head was heavy and unyielding and the young Dawnbringer still had a ways to go before she could master its burden, but she took pleasure in training with it. The weapon's long handle behaved comfortably like a staff, allowing for defense in addition to dangerous offensive action. It was what had drawn the youth to choosing the axe as her weapon of choice, for though she enjoyed the ease of the staff, the axe provided her with better protection.

Resting the axe against her shoulder, Thyri trotted off in search of a quiet and spacious location to practice her swings. She didn't know how far she'd traveled before a flicker of motion caught in her periphery caused the young woman to slow and pause, twisting her head to peer through the thickets and the brush. Recognition ignited within the pools of jade and the Dawnbringer immediately shifted her direction, approaching her cousin with confidence. "Hey Izzy," she called out brightly, glancing briefly at the bow in the other girl's lap. "Are you out practicing, too?"

[WC: 587]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Apothecary I Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:25 pm

The cleaning and polishing of her bow complete, Izrian moved on to the arrows. She was meticulous as she looked over them, tested their sharpness, cleaned them up. The budding Araedi was so focused on her task that it took a while before she caught Thyri’s scent and glanced up to see her cousin approaching. A smile lit on the girl’s creamy muzzle, and her hand stopped its work to lift in a wave to the fellow Hollr. “Hey Thyri, long time no see,” she said, looking her cousin over. Jealousy struck as she noticed how feminine Thyri was becoming, the curves that would have all the boys sniffing after her in no time. Izrian’s growth spurt was coming slower, and though she’d gotten taller her curves had yet to fill out, leaving her looking quite boyish…much to her dismay.

“Yeah, practicing pretty much every day with the bow, and sparring with dad in the mornings,” she said -- proud of this. Her father was the leader of all the Araedi and he was a very busy wolf, though he made time with his daughter to give her the training she yearned for. Those deep blue eyes of hers stopped her inspection of her cousin when she took in the axe, a little gasp leaving her. The girl stood, set her bow and arrows to the side and moved closer to Thyri, crouching to look at the weapon. “This thing looks awesome! Where did you get it?! I’ve been wanting to get my hands on something like this…like a sword or an axe. Does it throw well?” she asked, sending the barrage of questions at Thyri. It was clear the girl was excited, and she grinned as she leaned back and looked to the Dawnbringer.

WC: 300 OOC: Yay cousin time!

POSTED: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:41 am

OOC: <3

It seemed clear to Thyri how proud Izrian was of her father and though the youth listened politely to her cousin's daily routine, she couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy. While it was true she had her own Araedi trainer, what with her mother helping to teach her the ways of the staff, her father lived miles away from Vinátta. The distance had never bothered her before, not when she was a young and boring puppy, but now she of an age where his expertise in combat would be advantageous. But he was The King. She understood that his duty to the Court kept him from visiting often, but she wished she could train and spar with him like Izzy did with Bran. The time she'd spend training with Silvano would not only teach her indispensable skills but would undoubtedly forge a lasting relationship between father and daughter. At least, that was her dream.

Thyri was glad for the distraction her axe brought from these thoughts and grinned widely back at Izzy. "Do you remember Solveig? She gave it to me before she left," she replied proudly, lowering the head of the large axe gently to the verdant ground. Solli had departed from Vinátta a few months ago but Thyri had kept the large Dane axe hidden away until recently, fearing that her mother would take it away from her if she'd found out earlier. "It's not a throwing axe," the Dawnbringer replied, as though it were obvious. "It's used for close combat. See, the long handle can be used kinda like a staff for defense and obviously the blade is for offensive attacks. Do you wanna hold it? It looks heavier than it is." In truth, the axe was deceivingly light, weighing in at approximately 2kgs (4.5lbs) despite its metal blade and wooden handle.

[WC: 307]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Izrian didn’t mean to make her cousin jealous, she was very proud of her father and of her training…and okay maybe a little too competitive for her own good. Her blonde ears twitched atop her head as she listened to Thyri, nodding her head when she mentioned Solveig. “Oh! That’s really cool, she show you how to use it?” she asked, leaning in to inspect it when Thyri began to lower it down. The Firebringer definitely wanted to give the axe a shot – it couldn’t hurt her to learn how to use a vast array of weapons after all. It was awesome to have a cousin, a female cousin, who shared the same interests with her. Akara wanted nothing to do with training, it seemed, too busy with her head in the clouds to focus. At least, that’s how Izrian saw her. Thyri, though, was a whole other type of wolf and they’d already survived hardship together when the sinkhole collapsed beneath them.

“Ooohh, okay,” she said, learning it wasn’t a throwing axe. Izzy ignored the slight tone of condescension in her cousin’s voice. Thyri went on to explain the axe and how it could be used, and Izrian nodded and inspected the weapon. When the Dawnbringer offered the axe up for Izrian to hold she was all over it, beaming and taking the axe, hefting it in her hand carefully. It feld good and the budding warrior was even more sold on wanting to learn how to fight with it. And it was heavy, too, but Izrian’s muscles were building every day and she didn’t find it too challenging. “Do you wanna show me some moves with it?” she asked, her sapphire eyes brightened at the prospect of training. “I can show you how to shoot with the bow if you don’t already know.”

WC: 305

POSTED: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:05 pm

OOC: I mainly used this video to help understand the basics of handling an axe like this :3

Chest puffed proudly, Thyri beamed at her cousin. "Yup!" she confirmed with a toothy grin. "But I bet there was still lots more she could've taught me." The youth shrugged, letting the disappointment of Solveig's departure roll off her shoulders. She knew the basics at least and there was bound to be other Luperci who could offer her further guidance. Like Daddy. A gleam of brilliance flashed across her jade eyes as she silently entertained the idea. Silvano was a master swordsman but surely there was something he could teach her about axe-fighting.

Her jealousy behind her now, the Dawnbringer watched cheerfully as Izzy hefted the large axe out of her hands. There had been no shortage of pups within Vinátta, her choice of playmates large and varied. But there was only one cousin her age that matched Thyri's interests and drive to succeed: Izrian. "Yeah!" she yipped with exuberance, tail swishing behind her. The pair certainly had their differences but the blonde girl felt as though there was a sort of alliance between them; almost akin to a sisterly bond. "I don't, actually. But I've wanted to learn so that'd be great."

Thyri held out her hands, palms skyward, in a silent request for her axe back. Wrapping her hands a distanced from one another around the long wooden haft, she squared her shoulders and held the weapon diagonally across her chest. "So 'cause all the weight's up here," she began, beckoning the blade with her nose. "You gotta swing it at an angle and let the momentum do all the work." To demonstrate, the Dawnbringer took a few steps away from Izzy and swung the axe from shoulder to opposing thigh, the blade slicing at the air as it revolved upwards again in a wide arc. She repeated this, making large X's in the air in front of her until her point had been made. "You can also swing it from side to side but you gotta be careful about overhead attacks 'cause it takes longer to recover from those."

Pausing to make sure Izrian understood her demonstration, Thyri rested the butt of the haft in the grass again and tilted the blade towards her cousin. "Wanna give it a try?"

[WC: 373]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:40 am

Izrian grinned brightly at Thyri’s approval and acceptance of the offer to teach her how to use a bow and arrow. That was her strong suit, but Izrian wanted to learn so much more. “Yeah, no problem, I can teach you,” she said, still swishing the axe around carefully. If Thyri was anything with her axe like Izrian was with her bow, her cousin would be very protective of the weapon and not want anything to happen for it. She also respected her cousin, and wouldn’t harm the prized weapon, especially considering it was a gift. Thyri held her hands out for the axe and Izrian handed it to her, leaning back to watch.

It was a strange way to wield an axe, much different than its usual use of cutting wood, and Izzy’s eyes were bright and focused as she watched Thyri work with it. “Huh…” she mused, watching the way the weight shifted and nodding at her cousin’s explanation. It looked awesome swinging through the air, and she knew Thyri would soon be an incredible warrior with it. That childish competitiveness would probably never completely fade between the two cousins, but they would be fantastic Araedi’s together, she was sure of it. Once her demonstration was over Thyri gave the axe back to her, and Izzy tried out the different way of holding and swinging it, listening back to all of the instructions she’d been given.

Soon she handed the axe back, satisfied with what she’d learned so far. “That thing is incredible,” she said, waiting until Thyri had a firm grip on it before she let go. With that Izzy pulled her bow out and handed it to her cousin, then stepped beside her. “Put the axe down for a sec, I’ll show you how to hold it,” she said, waiting until Thyri listened and then positioning the Dawnbringer’s arms the same way Andira had showed her when she was first learning. “There, now remember how your arms feel, this is the right position,” she said, stepping back and letting Thyri feel it out. After a few minutes, she procured an arrow from her kit and positioned Thyri’s arms with that, too, showing her exactly how to hold it. “Now draw in a breath and set your shoulders back, feet shoulder width, and look at your target,” she said, pointing out a tree not far from them.

“Let loose and see if you can get it.”

WC: 409

POSTED: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Watching her cousin brandish the oversized axe made Thyri realize the formidability of a weapon so large. It appeared to the youth that whoever’s hands the axe was in, whether it was Solveig or Izrian (or probably even Myrkr if she could ever convince him to hold it), made the wielder appear instantly tougher and more intimidating. And it was hers. With this thought in mind, she grinned broadly at Izzy and nodded her head approvingly, offering little sounds and expressions of encouragement as she swung and swished it.

Izzy seemed like a quick study. Thyri had known that about her cousin for a long time but seeing her in action left a great impression on the blonde Dawnbringer. To one day be able to stand side-by-side the tomboyish Stormbringer as a fellow Araedi made her feel excited and, if she could set aside her petty jealousies and fierce zeal, perhaps even deeply proud. ”Yeah,” she agreed, feeling the comfortable weight of the axe back in her hands. ”It makes you feel kinda invincible, huh? You looked pretty awesome holding it.”

She said it because it was true, but also as a way of thanks for the compliment she had received on it. Doing as Izrian instructed, Thyri leaned the Dane axe against a nearby tree and wrapped her fingers around the slender wood of the bow. She watched impassively as her cousin stepped up to her and helped position her body appropriately, feeling the muscles in her arms tighten pleasantly in the the posture she was left. ”Okay, I think I got it,” she said after several moments of concentration, committing to memory the distinctive tension in her shoulders and the ache in her arms.

When Izzy returned next to her, it was with an arrow in hand. Thyri allowed her cousin to fit her fingers with it, thinking all the time how much more complicated archery was compared to axe-slinging. But the Dawnbringer was committed and did not believe failure to be an option. She met Izzy’s azure eyes with a look of fierce determination, gave a single short nod, and positioned herself as instructed. ”Got it,” she said and held her breath as she concentrated on the distant tree.

She let the arrow loose with a flick of her fingers and blinked at how the bowstring snapped back almost instantly. A rush of something - excitement or adrenaline or wonder - buzzed through her fingers and up her arm as she followed the trail of the arrow. It clipped the side of the tree, making a notch in the rough bark before it careened into the forest beyond. Thyri frowned and puckered her lips in a look of disappointment. ”I can’t believe it missed that!” she grumbled, her own worst critic. ”It was right there. If I can’t even hit a tree how would I ever hit something small, like a rabbit or something?” She sighed at glanced at her cousin, discouraged but not defeated. ”Is there a trick to aiming, Izzy?”

[WC: 505]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:31 pm

Izrian watched with bright azure eyes as her cousin let the arrow fly, and was impressed that she’d actually hit the target. “Hey! It’s okay, you at least hit the tree,” she said. “When I first tried I shot my arrow straight into the ground.” The blonde Firebringer moved and repositioned Thyri’s arms, biting into her tongue as she moved her arm just a fraction of an inch wider in stance. “There, we’ll try it again like that. I think I had you too narrow,” she said, studying the tree her cousin had been aiming at before. She waited until after Thyri had tried a second shot before answering the girl’s question about a trick.

“No trick involved, just hours and hours and hours of practice,” she said truthfully. “Andira kicked my ass when I was first learning. It takes a lot of trying to find what position works best for your arms and for you to figure out the exact way to tense up and relax your muscles.” It was true, the art of archery was one that came with time, but Izrian was pretty sure that Thyri would get it. No matter the outcome of her second chance, Izzy gave her a little grin. “You’re doing really well, honestly. It took me a while before I could even hit the tree I was aiming at and you hit it on the first try.” Izrian smiled then, and moved back a few paces before stretching her arms out. They were a little sore from her earlier training and she felt the need to flex her muscles somehow.

“Hey, what do you say about going for a run? We could do a trip around the borders to make sure everything’s up to snuff,” she offered, not wanting her cousin to frustrate herself by trying too many times with archery on her first day of it. “Then maybe we could go to the weapons shed and find you a bow? I wanna see if they’ve brought in any swords, too,” she mused, rubbing her hands up and down her thighs and wiggling her toes. It was clear the Firebringer was antsy to go for a run, and she hoped her cousin would be up for it. Besides, they were going to be Araedi, and patrolling the borders was a big part of that.

OOC: I figured here was a good spot to start closing - we can end after one more post each if you're okay with it? WC: 392

POSTED: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:55 pm

OOC: That sounds perfect to me, my dear <3 Thank you, I loved this thread c:

Greatly encouraged by Izrian’s words and further direction, Thyri gave the other girl a small smile and allowed her to reposition her arms. She held the stance patiently as her cousin spoke, considering all the practice and tweaking the art of archery took. With that in mind, the young Dawnbringer expelled the stale breath from her lungs and filled them again with fresh air. She narrowed her eyes and concentrated hard on the tree ahead.

Too hard, perhaps. So hard that she forgot entirely the position of her arms and shot the arrow clear into the forest, missing the tree by a solid wolf-length. Thyri released her muscles and hung her head and arms in a pool of defeat, looking up at Izzy only when the girl began to reassure her again. Thyri hated failure, but she recognized that she couldn’t be perfect at everything on the first try. It was just hard to accept that. She sighed and handed the bow back to her cousin. ”Thanks, Izzy,” she said sadly.

Her cousin's offer for a run immediately perked the somber Dawnbringer up, bringing a fresh sparkle to her pale verdant eyes. ”Yeah, that’s a great idea!” she said, reaching for her Dane axe and finding relief in its solid weight. Unlike the bow, whose slight build somehow made it more difficult for Thyri to manage, the axe was sturdy and secure. ”I hope there are. You could show me more archery tips and we could spar together if there’s a sword!” Visions of the two warrior women sparring against each other and defending one another from adversaries with their respective weapons flashed before her eyes, bringing an empowered smile to her face.

Without waiting for her cousin Thyri started towards the borders at a slow jog, glancing behind her with a playful grin. ”Coming, slowpoke? Let’s go!”

[WC: 308]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

Dead Topics