Cook up a storm

Milos

POSTED: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:45 pm

OOC: Optime. In her house, but I'm thinking they'll eat outside so she doesn't burn the place down >_>

IC:
Eliza had replenished the meat stores with some plump rabbits, so she felt safe in “borrowing” a portion of deer's leg to practice her cooking on. She knew from past experience that the meat was rich, its flavour distinct, and she was approaching the addition of herbs and spices with the open-mindedness of an adventurer. Eliza had a tendency to overdo it with the herbs, and she was planning on collaring someone in the pack once the meat was prepared to make sure she didn't go too far overboard and render the meal inedible.

First, Liz worked the tip of her knife below the silverskin to peel it back, trim it off and thus ensure that there was no odd, gamey taste remaining in the meat. She took the knife to the fat, too, wanting the remaining steaks to be lean – her personal preference. She had decided to marinade the meat, but before she could do that – or rather, trust herself to do that – she needed to find someone to use as a taste tester.

Eliza wandered out onto the small porch at the front of her cottage and scanned what she could see of the village. It was late evening and the sun was about to dip below the horizon, leaving a dazzling orange stain across the sky. Grinning to herself, the Greenhorn put her fingers to her lips and let loose a sharp whistle. “Who's hungry?” she called out clearly to the Fiskebyn, leaning back against the front wall of the house with a hopeful smile tugging at her lips. “Come and get it!” she went on in a singsong voice which tailed off into a giggle, quite unruffled by the fact that the meat was nowhere near ready for consumption.

Satisfied that someone would have heard her call, the Cormier dog slipped back inside and went back to trimming off fat and connective tissue with a perfectionist's eye.

[300+]

Rat
Luperci Mate to Milos as one we are everything we need
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:06 am

OOC: Haha! Good call xD

Morning had come early for Milos. In a familiar fit of anxiety and fear, he’d woken in the dusky predawn light to the soothing voices of sleepy songbirds. Meerclar had opened a single lazy eye, saw it had only been another nightmare, and curled herself into as tight a ball as she could manage. He had sat then for some time while his heart settled back into a normal rhythm, rolling quietly onto his feet only after the memory of the awful dream was nothing more than bad taste in his mouth.

So it was that, by the time the inhabitants of Krokar had begun to go about their day, Milos had already smoked the hide he’d tanned the previous day and was just finishing up fleshing another one. Stretching the soreness out of his muscles, the Wayfarer picked the prepared skin up from the log it was draped over and began the process of stretching it onto the large wooden rack. A short time later, he joined his pack mates in completing their morning chores. He would finish tanning the hide later, after the animals had been cared for.

The rest of the morning had been occupied by gabby goats, serene sheep, and curious caribou. Caring for the pack’s livestock was rewarding and the bonds he formed with some of the animals would not soon be broken. But it was hard work and sometime in the afternoon his insomnia caught up with him and, caressed in the warm arms of the sun’s golden rays, Milos had slipped into a dreamless slumber.

Eliza’s whistle pierced straight through the layers of sleep and jerked him back into wakefulness almost instantly. He shot forward, sunset eyes wide with shock, and realized two things almost simultaneously: there was no danger and he’d slept well into the evening. Milos pulled himself to his feet groggily and felt his stomach rumble with the mention of hunger. He hadn’t eaten all day. He was famished.

Milos padded into Fiskebyn rubbing sleep from his brilliant eyes and shot Liz a winning grin. ”Evenin’ ‘Liza,” he said, glancing at her house with interest. ”Might be I take ya up on that. Whatcha got cookin’?”

[WC: 266]

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:27 am

Eliza wasn't a bad cook, but she didn't do enough of it. She was hoping not only for a taste tester but a little bit of pleasant company to pass the evening with, and perhaps someone who would be kind enough to pretend that the food was delicious even if it was bad; the dog had been feeling a bit over sensitive lately, with so much going on it her heart and mind, and she needed a night off from confusion. It would be good to have a simple meal with simple chat.

Just when Liz was starting to wonder if any of her packmates were prepared to risk her offer of a spot of grub – and even she would have admitted that with her current culinary skills it was a bit of a risk – a black and white figure padded towards her from the village. Milos looked somewhat dazed, as if he hadn't long been awake, but Eliza offered her customary blazing grin.

“Milos!” she greeted him heartily, skipping forward with a glint in her eye as if she was reeling in a tasty fish. Now that the Wayfarer had made an appearance he wouldn't be able to leave without a fight. Liz swept into a low bow which ended in a flourish of her hand pointing towards her house. She straightened again, tail wagging. “M'name's Eliza 'n' I'll be yer chef and server this evenin'.”

The dark brown dog offered the lightest of shoulder bumps to her packmate's arm. Well, we've got a nice bit o' deer haunch steak for your delectation tonight,” she informed him, gesturing again towards the cottage before prancing towards the door, brows lifting temptingly.

Liz dropped the hostess act for a few seconds to lower her thousand-watt grin to a warmly simmering smile directed at the fire-eyed male. “S'not quite ready yet but we c'n chat a bit while I finish preppin' 'n' cookin' it? How ya been?”

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 am

Still groggy from his extended nap, it was all Milos could do not to stare at Eliza like a newborn kid seeing its first caribou. Instead, he blinked and gave a short laugh as he watched the wiry dog go about this unusual act. What was she doing? Of course he already knew who she was. But that's the humor of it, he suddenly realized as he crossed that final bridge into maximum consciousness.

"Should be some good service, I reckon," he replied, recovering quickly from his momentary confusion. "Heard that 'Liza's a right good hostess." Milos flashed ivory at her as she bumped him lightly on the shoulder, not feeling more than a short thrill of momentary discomfort at the contact. It was getting better, he realized, this aversion to physical contact; first handshakes, now brief shoulder-taps. Hugs soon, perhaps. Perhaps.

Milos watched as Eliza pranced animatedly towards her cabin, laughing lightly with the expression on her face. "Sounds d'licious," he admitted, the deep rumble in his belly offering roar of agreement. He patted his abdomen comically and snorted. "Belly thinks so, too." While food was not always forefront on his mind, the Wayfarer rarely intentionally skipped a meal. It just so happened that the care and welfare of the livestock and Luperci around him demanded more attention from his mind than the polite grumble from his tummy that told him hunger was at hand.

Following the Cormier to her humble abode, the Wayfarer returned Liz's bright grin with one of his own. "En't no complaints here," he replied sincerely before considering her question. "Not bad. Keepin' busy workin' on a few tailorin' projects." Between Akantha and Beatrice, Milos had been kept quite busy working on their respective commissions. "How 'bout ya, 'Liza? What's been keepin' ya busy? A'sides cookin', a'course."

[WC: 302]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Milos looked faintly taken aback by Eliza's show of being a hostess, and she resisted the urge to giggle at his momentary stunned expression. In a strange twist of her personality, the Cormier woman usually took her little pretences more seriously than she took the reality of her life – she didn't want to break the spell she believed she had created. She couldn't help grinning at what Milos said next, though; who might have told him that she was a good hostess Liz didn't know, but it was a sweet thing to say all the same. “Only the best for Sir,” she agreed breezily. “And Sir's belly, o' course.”

Liz faintly wished that there was some sort of music or lighting to add to the ambience, but she guessed that if they ate outside the sunset could provide lighting enough. Perhaps the birds and critters of Fiskebyn would be generous and offer some music of sorts.

It was always good to spend time accompanied by a friend, and while Eliza was friendly to most, she counted Milos as more than a simple acquaintance. He was still something of a mystery to the speckled, bearded Outrigger, something intriguing, but there was no pressure for something more to develop, and Liz was secure in that knowledge. There was nothing lacking in the term just friends in this instance.

Liz caught the Wayfarer's eye and nodded, her ears lifting a little in interest. She didn't make much use of clothes herself, but she didn't mind appreciating them and the craft of tailoring sounded like an interesting thing to keep the hands busy. “Ahh, yer a creative type!” she accused playfully. Aside from her pretending to be a waitress, Eliza didn't have much of a creative streak. She liked to deal with those things which had already been produced more than she indulged in the art of creation.

“Bit o' tradin', bit o' falconing 'n' makin' new friends,” Eliza responded honestly, though she omitted the greatest development in her life – her growing over-fondness for her adoptive brother.

The house was gloomy compared to the fiery display of light outside, and Liz wasn't in there long before she was itching to get outside and kick off the cooking. “Now, d'ya know which spices ya like?” she prompted her guest as she bustled about the small “kitchen”, waving a hand towards the available herbs and spices. She might as well try to cater to Milos' tastes, even if the result might end up overpowering.

[400+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:56 pm

She was kooky; free-spirited in ways that only increased his affection for the tricolor Outrigger. That she didn’t take herself too seriously or avoid challenges for fear of failure left a positive impression on Milos, whose philosophy in life was very similar. He grinned at her, allowing his thoughts to carry on behind the humorous mask. But she was more than what showed on the surface, he thought. There seemed to him to be something deeper, more visceral, about her than just what her plucky attitude and cheerful exterior revealed.

But he had been wrong before, about others. It happened primarily with those who legitimately were transparent; those who had nothing to hide or who preferred to lay their emotions out for all to see. Those who didn’t put up walls or hide behind facades. It was they who Milos had the hardest time figuring out, because the very things that honestly defined them were the exact precautions he took to protect himself.

He flicked a wrist at her dismissively when she described him as creative. Though he could follow a template perfectly and successfully retain to memory the specifics of a pattern, Milos didn’t consider himself particularly creative. After all, developing an entirely new design was no easy task for the Leatherworker. ”Reckon it takes some creativity t’ roast a haunch o’ meat too, what with all th’ spices’n such,” he returned with a wink, following the wiry Cormier’s gesture towards the herbs and spices she had available. ”Gotta know what works with which meat, right? En’t got no idea, m’self. What’d ya recommend?”

Though he preferred his meat cooked, despite his feral beginnings, he had never given much time or thought for flavoring his meals. ”What’s this like?” he asked, holding a sprig of sage between thumb and forefinger.

[WC: 301]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:30 pm

Though he made a dismissive gesture in the face of her teasing accusation, learning that he was after the Tailor rank had shed at least a little bit of light onto him. Liz raised a brow at the flick of his wrist but didn't want to push it. She was impressed, though; it seemed Milos Parhelion was a man of more talents than just tending to the pack's livestock and being a generally friendly face (something which in itself deserved an accolade).

"Cookin's both an art 'n' a bit of a science, too. Once ya know which combos go together nice, that won't change - only the amounts of stuff ya use."

Milos' grin could have brightened the room just a little on its own, but Liz truly wasn't planning on spending enough time inside to need any artificial light. She took her knife back up, carefully trimming just a little more silverskin and fat from the meat, before looking up to find her companion holding a sprig of sage.

“A good choice!” the dog remarked, leaning over the haunch of meat and dipping her muzzle to take in the herb's scent. “One o' the best for meats, in fact. It's got kinda a warm flavour to it, a bit earthy. It's good!” She smacked her lips before her grin surfaced once more. “Don't mind getting' yer hands a bit sage-y, do ya? We're gonna rub it into the meat a bit to give it some flavour. Ya didn't think ya'd get a meal without doin' any work, did ya?” Liz chuckled, feeling only a little rueful for dragging Milos out of his sleep to help with the meal.

“What ya do is rub it between yer thumb n yer forefinger – like this.” Eliza reached over for her own sprig of the dried leaf and made a circular motion with the tip of her index finger. The herb crumbled easily, releasing an even more potent aroma which Liz sucked in greedily.

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:12 pm

Etched plainly upon his face was a look of some surprise, bright eyes flicking comically to Liz's grinning face before floating back down to the sage between his fingers. "En't playin' me?" he wondered with exaggerated suspicion, a smile he was unable to control cracking impishly across his maw. But Milos was impressed with her degree of knowledge on the subject. He found enjoyment listening to her talk and her cheerful passion dissolved away the mask of humor he had so carefully displayed. For only a moment, his face had softened to reveal fondness and respect, before the façade was replaced and he barked a sheepish snicker. "Reckon I did!" he admitted, scratching the back of his head in a gesture of characteristic chagrin. "A'course I don't mind, 'Liza. Show me how it's done!"

And she did. With the expertise of one who had sufficient knowledge of such mysteries, Liz revealed the secret to him before demonstrating the act with ardor and poise. Milos grinned, the sharp scent of sage filling his own senses as he mimicked her motions. "That en't so hard," he said as the leaf disintegrated between his fingers. "Then ya just rub it right on?" It was an educated guess; he remembered her quip about rubbing the herb into the meat to give it flavor. But this was all new to the wolfdog and he wondered idly how very much different the herb would change the flavor of the venison.

As they worked, fingers massaging flaky sage into the muscles of the haunch, Milos glanced at the wiry Cormier with some curiosity. "Nice t' know someone with similar enthusiasm f'r somethin'," he said playfully, offering the woman a wink. Of course, plenty of Krokarans were enthusiastic about their jobs and hobbies; there was nothing unusual about that. "Where'd ya learn all this from, 'Liza?"

[WC: 308]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:54 pm

“Would I play ya? Honestly, it hurts me that ya'd even think that,” the dog exclaimed with mock hurt, touching her fingertips to her heart but not quite able to shift her grin. “That was awful silly of ya,” she teased when the bi-coloured male admitted that he thought he was getting a free meal with no work involved. Her face softened for a moment then, ears pulling back slightly in a silent apology. “O'course, if ya'd rather watch me work ya can still have the food. I ain't a slave driver. Just I think meals are so much more satisfyin' when ya put some graft into 'em.” She glanced up at Milos to gauge whether he agreed.

The dog nodded – confirmation that Milos had the right idea. She glanced to his hands as he worked to crush the herb, smiling as she breathed in the distinctive scent. For a few moments the herb simply coated her fingers as she watched, before she gave herself a mental shake and began to apply the crumbled, dried leaf to the deer haunch.

A snort of merriment left the Cormier girl, quite unplanned, as Milos winked at her. The beauty of Krokar was that there were many pursuits a canine could dedicate themselves to – they already had enthusiastic members with passions for all sorts of things, but Liz appreciated the moment of understanding between her and the Drover.

“My Ma taught me some,” she confided, her voice shrinking somewhat, her hands slowing and her brow furrowing in concentration. “Nvda with the red in 'er hair taught me some – the rest was experimentation, really. It's nice t'be able to share it with someone else.” Grinning again, Liz withdrew her hands from the slab of meat. “That should just about do it!” She picked up her knife and placed it carefully between her teeth, sliding her hands under the haunch. “Door please,” she managed to say through her teeth.

Once the pair were back out in the open the cooking was a fairly quick process – Liz didn't want the venison to be overdone and tough. “So,” she said as she sat beside the cooking pit where a flame already burned. “Would Sir like wine with his meal or is Sir still wakin' up?”

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:38 pm

For half a horrible heartbeat he worried he had truly offended her.

Molten eyes, bright with concern, searched her face for confirmation his playful gibe had been taken poorly. Immediately he relaxed; he could see nothing but forced hurt and a static grin. With a short trill of mirth, Milos realized how very gullible he could be: she was playing him now. ”Now that en’t fair, Miss ‘Liza,” he said, voice thick with cheer. He loathed the idea he may have caused her any distress.

He did not have the same level of respect for himself. There was no innocence left in him; he deserved no such concern from others.

Milos hesitated, fingers feeling suddenly of lead, as a dark cloud passed over the sunshine of his eyes. ”No,” he agreed in a hollow tone. ”Ya en’t no slave driver, ‘Liza.” It was only a moment, only a fleeting moment, and he composed himself again expertly. ”Would love nothin’ more’n t’ help ya with this. Here’s a secret,” He leaned towards her -- just enough to appear conspiratorial -- and flashed her a toothy grin. ”En’t never flavored a single meal’n my life!”

With rapt attention, the wolfdog listened to Eliza silently. A wrinkle creased the fur between his ivory brows when she slowed and softened, curiosity bringing bright eyes to the amber of her own. Milos did not press the subject and the wiry Cormier carried on, leaving him with a sense that she held a great deal of loss in her heart. Maybe someday, he thought. Someday. He nodded with mention of Nvda, recalling the woman knowingly, and matched her grin unfalteringly. ”Can’t wait t’ see what you’re made of,” he laughed playfully, offering her broadening grin.

He helped her out the door and watched as she started cooking the haunch, his stomach grumbling an impatient complaint as the succulent aromas of roasting meat filled the air. Milos lowered himself to a sit, glancing sidelong at Eliza as she situated herself near the cooking pit. He gave her a sheepish smile and shook his head. ”Alcohol don’t much agree with me,” he replied with a small laugh. It wasn’t a lie but it wasn’t a solid truth, either. Maybe someday, he thought again. ”Might Chef ‘Liza recommend somethin’ else t’ ‘ccompany this meal?”

[WC: 385]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics