Where parts of wholes are described

Thread prompt #4: Tend the communal garden!

POSTED: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:52 pm

The day's one, golden eye had only just opened, and a thin fog hung suspended above Jordheim. Auguste woke at this time, hair loose of its braid, fur a bit wild. Nothing covered his abode's one window, and sunlight poured easily into his sleepy crimson sights. A few feet away from the glass a little yellow bird chirped, and the striped male slid out of bed.

He hummed softly as a pot of water warmed over a light fire for tea. While he waited, Auguste slipped on one of his several pairs of hide trousers – these of deerskin – and gingerly lifted his Frithr necklace over his head, as well. His hair was made satisfactory, pulled up in a bun for once, instead of his characteristic braid. Today was empty in terms of chores or things to do, but luckily such a thing wasn't commonplace. Crouched in front of the fire, the young Hollr allowed ideas to come and go as they pleased. Perhaps he'd visit one of his siblings.

The tea steamed pleasantly from its skin (indeed, Auguste owned no other liquid containers, metal or otherwise) as he crossed the threshold into the morning. The same bird from earlier took to the air and headed into the trees to the lean wolfdog's left, but he turned right and strolled slowly in the direction of his mothers' home, though he wasn't certain they were awake. When he reached it, he stood just outside the door, considering. After a moment, he turned away, and instead made the garden his destination. The tea in his hand had used the last of his herbs, anyway.

As he walked, Auguste found his mind tending towards thoughts of New Dawn, more than anything else. Memories of the flight he shared with the girl who was now Sannindi were hazy around the edges, but still highly significant. Although he'd only been there for about a week, the mark the excursion had left on his childhood was substantial, and the gold-splashed Aston couldn't help but feel a little indebted to the feral pack for that. Florina, perhaps to a greater extent, played a large role in his maturation. He hoped she knew that, but her position in the pack made him wary of rekindling the small relationship they'd had back then. Surely she had more important relationships to forge.

The garden was empty, and the mottled man's thoughts calmed when he entered it, turning instead to memories of his mothers and siblings. Taking a sip of tea, Auguste crouched before a peppermint plant and began to harvest a few leaves.

(434) Guess who's back! I don't really know what I'm/he's doing, though.

Last edited by Auguste Aston on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auguste Aston

Salena
Luperci Adopted and Proud

POSTED: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:50 pm

OOC: Fiiiiine, twist my arm, I give c; Just messin'. Welcome back, Yzz!! Hope you don't mind Thyri interrupting Auguste. Maybe we could turn this into a thread prompt? Tend the communal garden? Totes up to you, my dear.

Finch had once told her that plants should be treated with tenderness and respect, though she should never consider them particularly weak. Plants - weeds especially - could grow in the most inhospitable of conditions and thrive where little else scarcely stood a chance. They played a varied and important role in the world and in being mindful of their tenacity for life perhaps she could internalize their resiliency and ambition for survival. It had been some time since she had had this conversation with the dark woman, back when her confidence had been broken by Solas' cruel interference and she tiptoed about Vinátta in a state of near-constant anxiety, but her words had taken hold of her heart and settled comfortably in the recesses of her being. They, in additional to her training and assurances from her family and friends, had helped banish her fears and reestablish her courage and poise.

Though they personally hadn't played a significant role in her recovery, Thyri felt she owed the plants growing quietly in Vinátta's communal garden her gratitude and one of the many responsibilities of gardening, she knew, was ensuring their vegetal wards were well-watered and kept free from weeds. With her distracting thoughts about Ezra conflicting with her Araedi training, the young woman had been meaning to visit the gardens in the hopes that caring for the tender plants would somehow afford her some sense of clarity. As it was, she'd been woken up much too early with a particularly lovely dream of the dapper man and had been unable to find rest again. Now seemed as good a time as any to cleanse her thoughts of the new Risna.

Thyri located a couple buckets near the stables and filled them to brimming with water from Grand Lake, carrying the heavy loads diligently back to the gardens without so much as a grunt of complaint. She had not expected to find anyone else awake, much less at the garden, when she arrived and started at the sight of Auguste casually harvesting peppermint leaves. "Oh. Hi Auguste," she said pleasantly after taking a second to recover, setting the buckets gently down. "I didn't expect anyone would be here." Thyri paused and sniffed at the aroma that wafted towards her from the skin that held his tea, grinning. "That smells good. Are you just collecting more for your tea? I was just about to water the plants and pulls some weeds. You can help if you wanna."

[WC: 415]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Apothecary I Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:41 am

He had no container or pouch for the herbs, so he simply kept them in his picking hand as he moved to another plant. Auguste's hands, feet, and tail were wet with dew, but his auroral-coloured back was east-facing and warm. Next plant. The tea was quickly growing cold, so the mottled Aston took another quick gulp, and then one more. When he brought the skin down again, he shifted back to the peppermint plant and picked just a few more leaves. He didn't want to kill it by accident.

His mothers. Auguste tried to keep his thoughts geared towards them, and not other, more stressful things. But it seemed that a mind woken early was an unruly mind, so he relented and allowed thoughts, troubling and not, to come and go as they pleased. After a minute the wolfdog stayed his hand, frowning as he realized he had over-picked by a few leaves in his daze. “Shit,” He muttered, just as the light Dawnbringer woman arrived in the garden.

“Good morning, Thyri,” Auguste responded cheerily, perhaps overly so. "I didn't know you were an early riser." In truth, the light-furred man knew little about the lighter female. But he had never seen her out and about at this hour, before. He turned and took a sheepish crouching side-step so that the particular plant was out of view. He was about to offer to leave when he noticed the buckets she had brought with her. “Oh,” He said, when his attention was brought back to the other Hollr. The tea he held up, swishing the skin around as if he was testing its contents. “I'd offer you some, but I think it's gotten cold.” The slate-painted male didn't even consider that she didn't mind the temperature, because to him, that was absurd. Tea was made to be hot.

His smile was warm as he stood up with a slight stretch. “Sure! Do we water and then pull, or pull then water?” The herbs that had been in his hand were left in a neat pile, next to the skin half-full of cold tea. He moved to stand next to her and lifted one of the buckets. “Yknow, uhm...” The smile turned a bit crooked as he nodded towards the over-harvested peppermint plant. His guilt had gotten the better of him. “That one may need some work, especially.”

(398) Not at all! :> Thread prompt sounds good!

Auguste Aston

Salena

POSTED: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:13 pm

OOC: Excellent c: We could turn it into a rank thread too if you wanna have Auguste teach Thyri something she may not know while they're gardening? I'm good with anything <3

Unable to prevent it, Ezra's memory graced her mind for a shadow of a moment and a deluge of blood rushed to her face, painting the insides of her ears with blush. She shrugged indifferently, suggesting her presence at the gardens this hour of dawn was simply too trivial to entertain and hoped her pack mate wouldn't notice the heat in her ears. In truth, Thyri was not typically an early riser but the concern that such a response may encourage further curiosity prevented the young woman from verbalizing such. So occupied by her attempts at behaving in a perfectly normal and collected manner was she that Auguste's own suspicious actions had gone completely unnoticed. "Oh, that's okay," she replied dismissively with a flick of a wrist, smiling at the mottled man. "Tea tastes better when its hot anyway."

Though she hadn't been at it long, Thyri was enjoying her lessons with Finch and found the creation of tisanes one of the more worthwhile aspects of herbalism. That she could combine different herbs and plants together to create a tea that might help stave off illness or promote relaxation or encourage healing was undeniably incredible. Granted, plants had many other uses as well -- tinctures and poultices and salves -- but, courtesy of its ease and palatability, tea was her favorite.

She beamed when he agreed to help her tend the garden, glad to have someone else to not only keep her distracted but also share the burden of weeding. "Great! Thanks, Auguste," she said, glancing at the plots of quietly thriving vegetation before gesturing to the buckets. "Let's water 'em first. Finch says that watering loosens the soil and makes pulling the weeds easier." Thyri snatched an discolored plastic bowl from just beneath the surface of her bucket, shaking droplets of cool water from the object. "There's one in yours too," she said with a nod, pulling her bucket to a plot of chamomile.

Looking up from her reservoir of water, Thyri glanced curiously at her pack mate's utterance. Her face, at first pleasantly cheerful and light, wilted to a doleful expression of peaked brows and downturned lips. "Ah!" she groaned, abandoning her chamomile completely to observe the sparse peppermint plant. It was one of a number that they had and, if memory served, mint was one of their more prolific herbs; chances were good it would bounce back. "It looks dreadful," she whined staring woefully at it a moment longer before offering another shrug. "But I think it'll be okay. Mint grows pretty quick. Or... at least I think it does," she said, muttering the latter to herself. "Just... maybe don't touch it anymore," she suggested with pleading eyes. Though she was really quite serious the expression looked almost comical on her.

[WC: 464]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Auguste flinched at the pale Dawnbringer's admonishment, but he kept his sheepish smile. While she was talking he dunked a hand into his bucket and found the bowl. Bending over a small sage bush, he dipped it back into the bucket and gently poured its contents near the base of a small sage bush. Before moving on to the next plant (another sage brush, this one a bit worse off), the slate-dappled male looked over his shoulder at the female. “Yes, Thyri,” He allowed, sounding almost childish. Another easy smile flit across his face, careless in contrast with her own frown.

They worked in silence for a few minutes. Auguste lost himself in the sweet and pungent aromas of the leaves around him, and the pleasant sound of disturbed water. When he arrived at a small plot anise, he paused and glanced again at his temporary coworker. He really didn't know as much about herbs as some, but he had in his possession a book on herbal remedies. It had gone mostly unread, but anise had been one of the first plants featured. “Hey,” The light Aston called to her. “Did you know that anise is good for pregnant females? When they get sick in the morning.” It didn't occur to him that she could take it the wrong way, especially since he'd accidentally placed a bit more emphasis on the morning. No elaboration, no other remedies mentioned – Auguste went back to his work, humming quietly to himself.

He wondered if human remedies could even work on canines, natural or not. But he wasn't interested in healing, and left that particular thought at that.

(274) Nah, that's alright! I appreciate it, though! Auguste is more interested in history than healing. :> Also sorry for the short post!

Auguste Aston

Salena

POSTED: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:44 pm

OOC: Oh heck, no problem there <3 Sorry Thyri has such a one-track mind xD I intentionally left her last question wide open for interpretation to help change the subject if it helps c:

Shuffling almost despondently back to her bunches of chamomile, Thyri watched her mottled pack mate out of her periphery before swinging her head back around at the sound of his voice. She considered his concession a moment then allowed the smile to return, dipping her nose in acknowledgement. If there was one thing the assertive Dawnbringer appreciated, it was acquiescence.

Dribbling fresh lake water atop her selection of plants, the young Hollr didn't move on until the soil appeared dark and damp with saturation. The wind lifted the petals of the cheerful little flowers and allowed them to dance beneath her bowl, as though thanking the young woman for her service. As fluidly as air, Thyri slipped from chamomile to meadowsweet and repeated the process wordlessly. They were quiet for some time, much longer than the conversational yearling typically allowed a stretch of silence to pass, before Auguste's light voice slipped easily into her oversized ears. She flicked her verdant eyes from fuzzy white buds back onto the well-toned wolfdog, her mood much improved. "Anise is? I bet it works well as a tea," she replied eagerly, mouth partially gaping and eyebrows arched. She gave neither pregnancy nor morning sickness any more thought, much more interested in the properties of the plant.

But Auguste seemed content in quietly going back to work, leaving Thyri in a state of mildly frustrated disappointment. She finished watering the rest of her meadowsweet quickly and carried her bucket towards the plot of vegetation nearest to the one he was working on. "Is anise good for other stuff, Auguste?" she asked, watering a patch of thyme. "What else do you know?" For the most part, she'd been following the teachings of Finch but there were bound to be things that the dark Moineau knew little or nothing about. It would be in her best interest, she decided, to expand her lesson to others aside from Finch. For all she knew, the dapple Aston could tell her things about medicinal plants she never considered -- like anise.

[WC:341]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:00 pm

“Likely,” He agreed, trying to remember what else had been in the book. A mournful look at his own tea, well past its prime by this point, somehow triggered what little else he knew about the herb. “I think the seeds are most useful, but a tea would probably be great for coughs and such.”

Falling back into the rhythm of dip, fill, pour, Auguste hardly noticed as the level of lake water in the bucket fell to about half-way. The sun had risen past the trees, now, and rivulets of collected dew sparkled against deep and light green backdrops. The lean wolfdog gently held the branches of a neighboring plant aside to get at the shorter shoots of chive. Thyri's movement broke his rhythm, and he looked up at her as she shifted to be next to him. “I think it can also help milk flow, and maybe stimulate the appetite. I'm sure there are lots of other uses,” He offered, smiling. The next dip into the bucket took him near its bottom, and the plastic bowl scraped against it. The next plant he watered was unknown to him, and he was examining one of its leaves as he smiled apologetically in the wake of her next question.

“Not much,” Auguste admitted. “I ought to lend you this book I found. It has pages of medicinal plants in it, though it's pretty damaged. For now, though...” His crimson-coloured gaze rested on distant clouds as he searched for the few remedies he knew off the top of his head. Unnoticed was the next bowl lifted from the bucket – empty. “Chamomile has too many uses to list, but you probably know them already.” This was inferred because of her interest, and the fact that she was caring for the herbs in her free time surely indicated some previous knowledge. “I like the tea because it puts me right to sleep, but actually – yeah, I think it's also good for morning sickness.” Here the dappled Aston paused, and looked sadly into his bucket. “I'm going to need to get more water,” He mumbled, more to himself than to his packmate.

But, for the moment, he stopped working and sat back, looking thoughtful. “Barley is almost as useful. It can do about as much as chamomile, but if you steep the seeds in water, it brings the poison out of a bug bite. Momma Anu used it to get a tick off me, once. Ah,” A shy look flit across his face, but he tried to keep it under control when he turned to face Thyri. “You'd probably be better off asking Finch about all this. I just know what I've read and what I saw my moms do.” His fingers played at the edge of the empty bowl. “Hey, do you mind if I use some of your water? I've run out.

(484) I had too look all that up :I

Auguste Aston

Salena

POSTED: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:41 pm

OOC: Paha ohyes. I do, too xD

Auguste’s soft voice had the yearling’s attention trapped entirely within its cadence. She offered contemplative nods, hesitant at first but fast becoming more confident as her mind made sense of the information, and thoughtful murmurings but was otherwise entirely silent. And also entirely stationary. All around her, the wind blew gently the tender shoots and leaves of herbs she’d left abandoned in her intense fascination.

Anise: anti-emetic; appetite stimulant; lactation promoter. Thyri tucked the information away in the back of her mind, intending to add it as quickly as she could into her reference book. And,” she started emphatically, a proud smile on her face. ”It can be used to treat lice and scabies, too! I knew that much.” Courtesy of Finch who, it turned out, was not the endless well of information she imagined her to be.

Forgotten and forlorn, her bucket sat and sparkled pleadingly in the rising sun while the young woman listened to Auguste’s words with rapt attention. ”Yeah, chamomile’s good for anxiety and insomnia and stuff,” she agreed with a wag of her tail as she sidled closer to the dapple Hollr. Regarding barley, Thyri gave an indifferent shrug but appreciated the information all the same. ”I’ll add that to my book too,” she replied cheerfully, thinking that maybe she would bug Anu later about anything else she might know.

The timid expression that flicked across Auguste’s face gave Thyri reflection on her actions and, apologetically, the Dawnbringer allowed a respectable amount of space to return between them. She glanced sheepishly at her half-filled bucket, mindful that her bucket would likely be in the same state of void if she had been working as diligently. ”Oh. Yeah, for sure!” Dipping her bowl into the clear depths, she began to shower the herbs she’d forgotten about and glanced sidelong Auguste. ”Thank you, Auguste,” she said with swish of her tail. ”For all that information. I’d love to look at your book sometime.”

[WC: 326]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 pm

It wasn't the cream-furred female's closeness that had prompted Auguste's timidity. Indeed, he coveted physical contact, or moments that came near to it. Having three siblings and two loving, attentive mothers was a blessing, he knew, but there was something about sharing a non-relative's body (in the least sexual way, of course) or presence that he could never seem to get enough of. When Thyri had moved closer, the light Aston's heart had sped up, but it was the realization that he played the expert that stalled his words.

So, when she shifted away again, Auguste felt disappointed. But it faded as they returned to their work.

“Of course,” He responded, moving his own bowl to her bucket. “You're welcome to it anytime. I'll try to find more, too.” Falling into characteristic silence, the dappled man moved across the row to a fern and traced its fragile helixes with a claw as he watered it. Several crows passed overhead, and the sound of movement and waking souls drifted from Jordheim. Stretching across the way for her bucket, Auguste refilled his bowl and watered the last plant on his side. “Are you interested in becoming an Eljun, Thyri?” He asked as he stood and stretched his arms over his head. The question had been in his mind since she'd first asked about anise. But the crimson-eyed man rarely initiated conversations, and he'd had to let it rest there for a while before bringing it to fruition.

(223)

Auguste Aston

Salena

POSTED: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:01 am

Oblivious to the reason of the timidity that flashed across Auguste's face, Thyri stepped back and moved on. She was no stranger to the desire of closeness or the appreciation of camaraderie but the idea that this was what she saw in the Aston's eyes had never crossed her mind. For the Dawnbringer, who unwillingly recognized she could occasionally be too passionate in the things that interested her, the idea she had made her pack mate uncomfortable with her nearness and the intensity of her questions was not altogether unusual.

That he didn't seem completely put off by her actions reassured her, however, and she responded positively to his words. "That would be great!" she replied with a sweep of her tail, beaming up at him before turning back to her bucket. Auguste had worked much harder than she had, so intense was her curiosity, and few plots of herbs remained to be watered. She poured a portion of cool water atop the herbs before her. Soon they could begin weeding.

As the crows, stark against the lightening sky, passed overhead Thyri craned her head upwards and watched them soar. There was something about birds that the Dawnbringer liked, though she typically cared little for creatures who weren't Luperci or feline. Horses could be okay, she decided, since they made travel quicker and easier. And sheep were good since they provided wool that could be made into cloth. But what use were some of the other prey animals Vinátta kept? It was difficult for her to make sense of them.

She considered these musings in silence, watering her plants and mulling her thoughts over. It was almost a surprise when she realized she had finished watering her own herbs and she shifted her pale eyes around the gardens. Every plot seemed dark with nurturing water, eliciting a smile from Thyri's black lips. Auguste's soothing voice drew her attention away from the verdant plants to settle upon his crimson eyes. "An Eljun?" she parroted, thinking a moment. It was obvious she appreciated knowledge but her passion had always been in defense. Shaking her head slowly, she replied: "No, I've always wanted to be an Areadi. Although I considered being a Vald once." It had only been a brief moment of thought before she reminded herself how very important protecting her pack and family was. "What are you gonna thinking of being, Auguste?"

Dropping her bowl into what little water remained in the bucket, Thyri turned back to the plot she was standing at and began plucking weeds from within the rows of herbs. "Just throw your weeds over there," she said, tossing a bunch of pesky plants towards the center of the garden. "We can get rid of them later."

WC: 459

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

Dead Topics