how great the wickedness had become

POSTED: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:06 pm

cool kids hang out in the library

Gawl-lee, Ferret yapped, waking Antioch from his daze.

The ever-unpredictable weather of Nova Scotia had brought with it a cloudless sky that, for all apperances, made for a beautiful day. In truth, the palpable wall of humidity that had formed in its wake was partnered with a blazing sun and made everything miserable. It was too hot to do anything, and the caves were muggy and full of dry-dust from the surrounding land. The grass had begun to die in many places.

Even though the Mansion wasn't much better, the shade and open-windows provided enough cover as to encourage a distinct difference. Though Ferret had suggested they explore the basement he had later balked at this idea, citing something funny smelling about the place. They had decided they'd at least better be productive if they were going to hang around (or at least, that was what Maddox had told Ferret when he had gone to snatch them food) and so retreated into the sparse library.

Antioch had eaten and promptly begun to nap on one of the couches, having reasoned that the suggestion did not apply to him.

His red eyes rolled open and flicked irritably towards his companion.

Ferret was perched on a nearby bench, flipping through loose-leaf papers held together by some sort of sinewy string. Though he could not make out the letters, recognizable symbols—a cross, what appeared to be flames—were partnered with a crudely drawn skull.

Oh shit, sorry, the scraggly coyote rubbed at the back of his head.

After offering up a throaty grunt in response, Antioch stretched his long legs out and went about resettling on the couch. Ferret pushed his greasy hair out of his face and turned his attention back to the pamphlet, his brows furrowed.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
Luperci Chief, Falconer Mate to Versace Level III Immunes Chaos Star
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:50 pm

The heat and humidity had proven too much for Vicira, who retreated indoors after ensuring the stalled horses had access to water. She and Sinech hauled buckets from the pond, and both decided that a day working inside, at least unless the wind drove some of the heat away, would be more productive than wasting away in the heat.

Though she considered scrubbing at some of the walls in her room, as enough dirt had accumulated over the years to give her something to do, the Sciens wanted a break from labor. Her ginger cat at her heels, she wandered the halls instead, and ducked into the furnished library for something to do.

The strong scent of a pair of males gave her pause, and she lingered in the doorway. The scrawny coyote wasn't someone she was familiar with, and the other one was a de le Poer -- and the most intimidating of the young trio who'd recently joined.

She frowned, uncertain what to say, but Flea broke the ice, trotting boldly into the room (despite Vesper's pointed harassment he was too stupid to be wary of coyotes) and mewling, Hi.

Last edited by Vicira Tears on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
Luperci Multiple Co-ranks Level III Rex Chaos Star oderint dum metuant
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:30 am

truly, a meeting of minds

They smelt her—or rather, horse-smell—before she entered, though only Antioch saw her arrive. Ferret's nose was buried in the pamphlet, mouthing out the words as he read them. He read slowly and with what looked like difficulty. It was promising that he could read, though.

Antioch never offered to teach him, though he knew the skill. He didn't find it quite as useful as others thought. Words, he had learned, were no different than speaking. Lies could be written. It was no such secret, therefore, to dissuade his own talents and see what make could be made in others.

Brutish as he looked, there was cold calculation in his scarlet eyes that suggested some hint of his potential.

Ferret looked up abruptly at the cat's voice, and peered owlishly down at the ginger tom.

Uh—hi, he stammered, and glanced to Antioch. The Bellum's head made a barely-there gesture from its resting place across both of his large paws. Discerning that the cat had come with the tall woman, the sandy-colored coyote closed the papers in his hand and turned his attention back to the tom. Having grown up in a city, he was familiar with (and had, in truth, eaten a few) cats. None of them had ever talked to him politely before, though. What's up...cat?

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:17 pm

The small coyote stared down at the tabby, who waved his tail high and blinked back. His ears swiveled at the canine's voice, and he replied hesitantly, S'allrigh'. Though he'd learned how to parrot back pleasantries, Flea's grasp of High Speech wasn't as strong as a canine's -- or even some of her mothers' ravens. His green eyes flicked back to Vicira, his tail lowering, and the silver coyote padded to his side with a quick smile.

Sorry about him.

Go away, Flea, the tomcat murmured.

She shook her head and scooped him up, scratching behind his ears. I'm Vicira, Myrika and Vesper's daughter. I don't think I've met either of you properly yet. She tried to flash a smile at Antioch then returned her gaze to Ferret and the papers in his hand. What have you been reading?

Last edited by Vicira Tears on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Oh no, don't— Ferret started, but by then the woman had taken care of the cat and he was left to close his mouth with a roll of his discolored tongue. Still, she seemed nice enough. She was really tall, he thought. Further impressed by her connections, his yellow eyes widened a little—though a cocky smile melted into place not long after.

Naw, I met yer mom though, the sandy colored coyote informed her. When I came back with Antioch, ain't that right?

Antioch blew air out of his nose as if meaning to agree. The burly Secui shifted his weight again, showing he was indeed meaning to engage (even in a quiet manner) in the conversation. He busied himself scratching with one large hind-paw behind his elbow for the time being, however.

Yeah, 'round then. M'name is Ferret by the way, his companion added, and then held the pamphlet out to her. Some messed up stuff. I ain't never seen nothin' like it!

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:20 am

I might bring Res & Covenant in here later if it's okay/there's a good place for it? NPC development!

The brown coyote smiled and mentioned his companion, and Vicira's pale blue eyes slid hesitantly to Antioch. Her face was still, her usual mild smile playing at her lips, but her unease betrayed itself with a tilt of her ears. She only hoped she could play it off as social awkwardness rather than fear or bias. Covenant was a de le Poer, too, and brash and sometimes mean—but her eyes weren't so cold and red.

But the darker Tirones was quiet, merely shifting his weight and scratching himself. Vici looked away from him then down at the tied papers in Ferret's hand, reaching out for them while balancing Flea against her chest. She need only skim a couple of the meticulously-printed words to know what it was.

Yeah, pretty messed up, the woman agreed. She flipped open the pamphlet but could not quite bring herself to read the lines. As a youth, the words had frightened her so much that she'd had nightmares about coyotes-turned-demons and running blood. Words from wolves, from a war before we were born, she explained. They wanted to turn the world against us.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 pm

yesss

There ain't nothing in that true, the scruffy male huffed, and his face pinched into a scowl. He had the ability to pull a mean looking face, in part because of his rough upbringing and in part because of the scar upon it, but his eyes looked troubled.

That's the point, Antioch offered flatly. He spoke in low tones as to ease the gravely, harsh sound of his voice—it had never fully recovered from a wound sustained during a fight as a boy, though he carried no scars from the incident. His Secui mane was thick and served as a perfect defense for the area. Even now, as he resettled, it bristled lion-like around his hackles and throat.

I know that, Ferret snapped, but his ears fanned back from a crinkling of Antioch's red muzzle. Making a motion of peace with his open palms, the Optime shrugged his skinny shoulders. Messed up that they gonna lie to people, that's all.

They always lie, the fighter reminded his companion, and then spared a glance to the woman—a cousin, he supposed—his face returning to its placid state.

Yeah, I suppose. Who'd we fight before, anyway? Not these guys from the south?

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:34 am

baaaad post

Vicira hugged the tabby for some comfort as the men -- or boys, she thought, in age if not in experience -- exchanged stormy looks. She knew neither well enough to know if they would explode into a temper, or if she might suffer because of it. Though the worst Messiah had done to her had been a misunderstanding, if one that had shaken her, she'd known from her aunt just what angry Luperci could do. Only her faith that her mothers wouldn't let the mistake repeat kept her calm.

But Antioch looked calm when he glanced at her, red eyes and all, and she stepped to the bookshelves when Ferret asked a question. No, she said. Or -- it was further south than that. She looked at Antioch. Your great grandfather -- I think? Gabriel? -- lived in Scintilla and fought with them, the wolves. She placed the pamphlets back and pulled out another Luperci-made book. It was large and suited her hands, and she tenderly unwrapped the leather strap keeping it shut. It's all in here, she told them. Inferni's history, its births and deaths, leaders and wars. It would tell you about the wolves we fought and everyone else.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:34 pm

Gabriel was my father's grandfather, Antioch recited. Lineage was important to his family – he had learned many names and many connections which even now he did not completely understand. Names like Massacre and Holocaust were as much a part of him as Lykoi, though this latter title held power and was thus emblazoned upon his leg so boldly. He could recite the names and titles that mattered (though this too, was a subjective thing).

He already recognized that these sort of connections did not exist for some. Ferret, for example, had only himself to fight for. Antioch suspected that might be why he did such a poor job at it.

Well heck, Ferret pushed his greasy hair out of his face. That's a smart idea, keepin' track of stuff like that – I sure wanna know about these psychos, he pointed to the paper. 'Case we gotta deal with anyfin' like it, you know?

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:51 pm

I hope we don't, Vicira told Ferret, and gestured for them to settle down again. The proof of Inferni's longevity was heavy in her hands, but she sat with Flea in her lap (a purring bookrest) and leafed through the pages to the bits that she supposed might interest the boys most -- pages of blood and fire.

She spoke of the old lands, first, ones she had never laid eyes on before. Kaena told her about the coast, once, but it was hard for Vicira to imagine Infernian life without the Waste and the woods, without the mansion and the schoolhouse she'd been born in. She touched upon its first wars, and of the Great Fire that drove wolves and coyotes both southwest, where Inferni found its roots and the other packs withered around them.

She spoke of Dahlia, of Haku's cruelty and Gabriel's might, and the burned lands in the southern territory where the coyotes had been forced to flee, foliage only just regrowing.

Vicira read about the Boreas, too, the hateful wolves from Gabriel's and Scintilla's past, and mentioned her own lineage, her mothers killing a wolf leader and recovering from their wounds. She explained the enemies' plan and pointed to the pamphlet, and explained that there had been peace since -- only now the southern wolfdogs, a long-lived pack, threatened that peace.

Despite talk of blood and war, of spreading flames, Flea purred himself to sleep in her lap, leaving Vicira smiling bashfully, throat-sore, and looking up at the fighters.

Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

Dead Topics