A Beating Heart No More

all welcome [new dawn's old territory]

POSTED: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:51 pm

occ: Seriously anyone is welcome... an old pack mate, family, a complete stranger who knows nothing, or someone who might point Leela in the right direction.... doesn't matter.

Leaving Zyndea felt wrong. Since this voyage back home, Leela’vana had not let the girl out of her sight. Her daughter had never been here, and did not recognize the true danger that she knew. New Dawn’s borders were not just silent and unprotected, the stench of unidentified assailants and blood, although fading, still reeked across the lands, causing the ivory female’s heart to sink. The scents were stale enough to know that there was no danger, but she couldn’t let Zyndy see her like this, she had to do this alone.

All this time she never imagined in her wildest nightmare that New Dawn would have changed. Perhaps it was childish of her to think that things would be normal when she returned, as if the past eight months had been nothing but a crazy dream. The fear that she was too late was nearly overwhelming as her gait broke from a steady trot to a full blown run. She startled a yearling moose and pondered what horrors it may have shared with her she had been able to speak to the animal.

Her path was directly towards the communal den, the heart of New Dawn. Although the last time she had been there was early last winter, she raced towards it as if she were just here yesterday. Even before her paws carried her all the way to her destination, blood of family, friends, and wolves whom she didn’t know stank up the air. Blood was long dried and mostly washed away but the stench of the demise of New Dawn was enough to tell the tale. Leela’vana scouted out in the shadows, making sure no one was in the immediate area of the crime before allowing herself any closer to investigate.

How many had died? Who survived? Where is everyone? Who did this? So many questions made her head spin. There were some clumps of fur still laying around. A clump of bloodied white fur caused her to shutter. She did not dare sniff too closely. The very real reality that her family may have met an untimely end was too much to take in. Grief threatened to bring her down to immobility but she had to believe that some had survived whatever bloodbath and slaughter had become of her Dawners.

Briefly, her double colored gaze swept through the darkness of the communal den. Zalen had threatened her life and the life of her unborn pups the last time she was here. And now here she was worried about his life and the life of the rest of the pack members. After confirming that there was no one there either, she stood at the entrance, fighting back a mournful howl. All she could gather was that New Dawn was no more.
Last edited by Leela'vana Amarok on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hannah
Non-Luperci
Small in Size

POSTED: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:11 pm

OOC: um excuse me this is mine now <3 (mainly because I MISSED YOU but also because some New Dawners, Altair in particular, are taking refuge in VN so Thyri can give Leela some info)

It had been the loner's call that drew her into the abandoned territory of Vinátta's closest neighbors. Thyri had been avoiding the land, out of respect for the fallen but also out of sheer habit; though New Dawn's scent had begun to fade and she knew in her mind the pack no longer existed, she had for so long been accustomed to respecting their borders. Even now, as she took step after ginger step through the war-torn lands, she bristled and gripped the haft of her Dane axe with an intensity that caused her knuckles to jut out like mountains. It still didn't feel right, passing into their former territory without permission. But Curiosity and a sense of altruism had won over the uncertainty and Thyri slunk forth towards where the howl had come.

Not long before the stranger's voice interrupted her task, the yearling had been foraging for herbs that might be helpful to New Dawn's injured. Altair seemed especially bad off and while he was in good hands with Palaydrian's skill and expertise, Thyri knew that her collection of medicinal and healing herbs wouldn't last forever. After all, the massive Amarok truly needed a lot of poultices to keep his wounds from becoming infected.

Her heart hurt suddenly for him, the feeling intensified by the ghost of New Dawn surrounding her. He had fought so bravely to protect his loved ones but still they fell. Some died, some fled, but they all lost their home -- their beloved pack. Thyri hated what had happened to them and she hated those who had done this to them. What reason could justify destroying an entire pack and scattering its people? The thought made her angry and that anger fought with the deep sadness in her heart. Nobody deserved this.

And that was why she had been drawn to the howl. It sounded to the Vináttan to be somehow familiar, not to her of course but to the pack. It sounded as though she knew about New Dawn, once upon a time, before Anathema had killed it. And if that was true, Thyri could not ignore it; could not stand idly by and let the owner of that voice continue to worry and wonder. Breaking the news to someone unaware of the outcome would not be easy, but she felt in some way that she owed it to the stranger -- this old acquaintance of a pack unceremoniously murdered.

Thyri found the wolf near New Dawn's communal den, confused and uncertain. Pools of jade alighted on the quadruped and the tension in her shoulders loosened as she set her axe blade-down at her feet, one hand holding the haft. "Are you looking for New Dawn?" she asked softly, her ears and tail drooping sadly. "I can tell you what happened."

[WC: 469]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Apothecary I Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:02 pm

occ: MANDI! <3 I was secretly hoping you might decide to steal this thread! And belated congrats on your community souls spotlight last month. You deserved that :)

Her fur bristled as she tried to shake away the livid and morbid imaginations from her mind. A silent prayer was willed from the depths of her heart to her loved ones. The twisted feelings in the pit of her stomach told her she should have come sooner. She had been putting this trip home off for months, avoiding the thought like a plague. But like a disease, it ate away at her soul, so much that her second family in Eden pushed her to face her fears head on. As much as she loved them and they loved her and Zyndy, they knew enough to know that she needed closer. This certainly was not the closer any of them had in mind, however.

Zyndy. The off white female had to get back to her daughter. Not that Zyndea would be worried, but it was Leela’vana’s job in life to be concerned at all hours of the day. She even fretted over those kids of her’s who were stolen away. Not as often anymore, but they were never completely out of her mind. Just like the fate of New Dawn, they were at the hands of the mighty creator now. Helplessness and hopelessness were two words that she’d learned to cope with. She had to, for Zyndy.

As she prepared to pull herself together and return to where she left the youngster, a fresh scent of a stranger caused her to pause. Leela’vana was far more defensive than she used to be but the smell was that of what had been a friendly pack, so she forced her fur to lay flat. A light honey colored girl, possibly only a few seasons older than her own daughter, appeared in her bipedal form. Although she carried something in her hands, nothing about her approach seemed threatening, and rather a somber sensation seemed to be shared. She must know something.

Her throat clicked back a hard swallow but small she wolf forced herself to remain standing and even dip her head in a shallow greeting. “Yes,” her voice sounded stronger than she felt, “I’d come to see them, but-” well the scene spoke for itself, they were gone. “I’d greatly appreciate anything you can tell me,” she nodded gratefully, although inwardly terrified of what this Vinatta member might recount to her.

Hannah
Non-Luperci
Small in Size

POSTED: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:26 pm

OOC: You're so sweet! Thank you <3 But seriously, welcome back Hannah! It's good to see you around again c:

Within her core, Thyri's heartbeat increased and the pads of her hands and feet became clammy with sweat. She readjusted the grip on her axe and shifted her eyes away from the Lupus woman. She had been right.

As much as Thyri strove for perfection, an undeniable desire to be wrong, just this once, took root in her mind. It would have been so much easier, so less horrible, if the wolf standing before her had simply wanted reassurance that the land truly was abandoned before crossing the formerly owned territory. But there had been no misunderstanding here. Whoever this small woman was, she had ties to New Dawn.

The Dawnbringer closed her eyes a moment and drew in a steadying breath. New Dawn had been their friends and neighbors; Thyri would not fail them because she was uncomfortable with the truth of their demise. Straightening confidently, Thyri shifted her sights upon Leela'vana once more and cleared her throat. "They were attacked," she began, her voice clear and strong. "The middle of last moon, Anathema attacked them and the pack dissolved. At least, we think it was Anathema." The evidence was strong against the Southern pack but there had been no official verdict as far as Thyri knew.

Silence followed her assertion. She wanted to give the loner time to become acquainted with the burden of the news, that raw and heavy feeling. After a while, she continued. "Many New Dawners sought refuge at Vinátta, my pack, and some are there still. Others moved south to Casa di Cavalieri. But there are some still unaccounted for, I think. And some, well..." Thyri swallowed, heat prickling at the corners of her eyes. It was difficult to admit that death had shown its face here, that lives had been snuffed out. This was too sad, too hard. This wasn't fair. "I'm sorry," she offered, wilting visibly. "New Dawn doesn't exist any more."

[WC: 320]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:16 am

occ: Thanks! :) And forgive me, I'm horribly rusty. I went back and edited some stuff. I forgot AT hid their scent :x

The mild reluctance of the golden haired young lady was not at all a good sign, though she tried to not let that show - she was not in position to show any encouragement either. Instead the dainty canine finally permitted her haunches to take a seat to brace herself. After a moment of contemplation, the kind stranger seemed ready to share and all Leela’vana could feel was her heart ceasing to pound. The first few phrases were primarily what she had already pieced together already, but hearing it allowed from someone else made it all the more real.

It was the next part which was news to her. Hope dared to seed itself with in her, but her gaze dropped to her feet. The word refuge echoed back to her. So some were in Vinatti – no many – were in Vinatti. And the others? Elsewhere, dispersed… and some didn’t make it, that did not need to be spoken. Guilt spread across her like a single drop into a pool of water, rippling and causing her to shutter. “I was too late… I should have come home sooner….” Leela’vana muttered hardly above a whisper. Part of her couldn’t deny that she was glad her and Zyndea weren’t around, but the familial bond still told her that she should have been there to face whatever her kin had to face.

“You said some were in your pack,” the words which were reluctant before now came more speedily, needing to know. “Do you know who? My mother and sisters Kiara, Lucia, Saki?” she almost choked out the next name, fearing the worst, “Altair?” Each pack mate could have been named off, but these were the most important. If they were dead, then she came back for nothing but more heartache. Surely her sisters would be fine, they were healers mostly, so most of the attack had to be aimed at the brute force of the pack like Altair and Zalen and the other warriors.

Hannah
Non-Luperci
Small in Size

POSTED: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:33 am

OOC: You're doing wonderfully, hun <3 If you want, I could check with Miyu about Leela staying in VN for a short time so she can catch up with Altair and Kiara? Totes up to you, my dear :3

Inaudible words muddied the silence and Thyri tilted her head slightly, oversized ears working to makes sense of the woman's mutterings. Though her musings were so silent, the Vináttan thought she heard two words that sent her heard plunging into the depths of her stomach. Too late.

She swallowed dryly and looked away, blinking back the sting of tears. Lifting her free hand to scratch at an invisible itch on her opposite shoulder, Thyri shifted uncomfortably. Too late. The words chimed like bells in the yearling's ears. Too late. It was true, she was. There was nothing left of New Dawn but those who survived, wherever they had scattered to. But the fact remained that there were survivors and some of them resided in her own loving pack. They were safe and they were tended to and they were as well as they could be. That was what she needed to focus on, she knew. Survivors were the future; they were the ones who could reminisce and share stories and keep the pack alive, in however intangible a form that could be.

Flicking jade eyes back onto the small wolf, Thyri gave an affirming nod and considered her following questions with a thoughtful frown. "Altair," she said, the intensity of her eyes upon the woman increasing. "Altair is there. He's badly injured, but he's recovering." The massive Amarok was one of the few refugees from New Dawn that she had interacted with but she knew that there were others. "Altair's mate and pups are there, too. And Kiara, yes." She thought hard about the others but found that she could not recall their names. "I don't remember the rest but there are others," she assured with a slight shake of her head. Pausing a moment, she considered the revelation of the wolf's words and added: "You're the leader's daughter?"

Of the casualties, Thyri knew little but she was aware that there some who had succumbed to the attacks. The thought reminded her distinctly of her visit with Altair. It hadn't been too long ago that she came to him with an offering of blueberries and he, in turn, lashed out at her. "What use are berries if they're dead?!" His voice buzzed in her head and she sniffed. She couldn't imagine how very desperate, hopeless, he must have felt in that moment. But life had to go on. The living had to carry on for the dead; for the living themselves.

[WC: 411]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:09 pm

occ: That would be awesome! Actually I don't know if she'll go there right away but her and her daughter would probably try and go very soon.

Altair was alive? Oh how that warmed the little Amarok’s heart! It did not surprise her that he would have nearly died defending his homeland but that did not matter, what counted was that, even if New Dawn was no more, his heart still beats. “Bless his heart and the kindness of your pack,”Leela’vana barked. Although the news of pups had not gone unnoticed, she did not comment on that. She’d known that he and Fayne were a mated pair that still had not prepared her to learn that she was an aunt. A smile of great gratitude formulated on her white muzzle at the news that her beloved mother was alive too.

Each of her sapphire and emerald eyes blinked in utter bemusement and her driftwood tipped tail twitched. “Leader’s daughter? No, no, my mother was an Omega, you must have me confused with Zalen’s and Raeka’s offspring,” insisted the wolfess. “I-I would love to see them, if you think that would be alright?” Part of her wanted to bolt straight to them and make up for lost time, but there was enough doubt festering within to keep her paws where she was as well as harbor a concerned expression etched onto her face.

Her last question held more meaning than what one might think. She was asking for more than mere permission to pay a visit. What if they were over their long lost sister and daughter and reappearing would only do more harm than good. Leela’vana questioned if there would ever be a way to bridge the months that had past or if that bridge should ever be built to start with. It still wasn’t too late to slip away although trusting the jaded eyed girl to not speak of ever seeing her, might be asking too much. They did not need a fresh wound to scar them if somehow they got word of her visit back to New Dawn, or what had been New Dawn.

Hannah
Non-Luperci
Small in Size

POSTED: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:10 am

OOC: Excellent <3 I sent Miyu a PM and I'll keep you posted but hopefully we can just play things by ear c:

For all the sorrow Thyri's heavy news had been laced with, seeing the little female's grateful smile allowed her own woe at New Dawn's demise to lessen. After all, there were good elements to the tragedy: many of the pack had survived, for better or worse, including entire families. As far as she knew, no puppies had fallen in the attacks and the survivors had found reprieve within her own loving pack. "New Dawn was our closest neighbor. It was the least we could do," she said, allowing her tail to wave somberly behind her.

Though the packs never had an official alliance, Thyri could not remember a single entry in the Almanac detailing an unfriendly or deceptive interaction with the feral pack. As far as she was concerned, New Dawn had been their friends. She liked to believe that, had Vinátta been aware they would be attacked so terribly, so violently, her pack would have stepped in to help them fight off their adversaries. But they hadn't been aware - nobody had been aware.

Thyri furrowed her brows at the woman, soft green eyes thoughtful as she considered her insistence and found herself wondering about the wolf's history but shook the curiosity away. She reviewed quickly what she'd learned about leadership in New Dawn in the weeks since the pack's disbandment the shook her head gently. "No, Kiara was the leader at the time New Dawn fell," she explained, firm and confident in her answer. "There had been an illness, months before the attacks. I think..." Thyri paused, remembering, not wanting to be wrong. Their Sannindi, Florina, and Palaydrian had gone to New Dawn to help them through the sickness. News had been brought back to Vinátta and that had been one topic buzzing sadly through Jordheim. "Zalen died. I don't know what happened to his mate, but Kiara must have stepped in as leader at some point."

Life for the yearling had seemed so very safe and carefree in those days, when all she'd had to worry about were the cats reporting her every move back to Shiloh or how annoying her brother was being. The thought of an illness affecting her own health or that of her family never crossed her mind. She was invincible, in those days. After Arno's mother passed away later that month, the idea of mortality had begun to sink uneasily into her mind. And then there had been that terrible ordeal on Mount Oromocto...

Thyri blinked the memories away and focused her gaze back upon the small Lupus wolf. She tugged uncertainly at the base of her left ear as she thought. "Maybe," she replied unhelpfully. "I would need to ask Florina, our Sannin- uh, leader." The blonde woman paused then allowed a small smile to pull up the corners of her lips. "But if she isn't all right with another visitor, I'd love to help you arrange something outside of Vinátta. I'm sure they'd want to see you too, especially after all that's happened."

[WC: 503]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:41 am

occ: You-are-the-best! \o/ Thank you.

Regardless if New Dawn was no longer a pack and even if Leela’vana was technically no longer a Dawner when she accepted full membership with the Edenites all those months ago, she felt it was her responsibility to find a way to repay their gracious neighbors. Regrettably, thoughts in regards to expressions of gratitude were short lived in the returning female’s mind. The weight of this unexpected finding and news still too heavy to rise her mood straight from ash. Worry was not something a canine of her faith was supposed to give into, but still she struggled greatly at the moment to not still worry about everyone whom she’d been forced to leave behind. Even if physical wounds were not life threatening, the mental and emotional scares of the survivors could be just as debilitating. The depressing and crippling truth was, nothing was ever going to be the same again. Ever.

The disagreeing words of the blonde girl was not quite as unexpected as was her self-assured tone. Perhaps New Dawn had seen worst days than the dainty Amarok could have ever fathomed. A moment later, the luperci confirmed just that to be so. But Zalen…dead? This overly belated news really hit home. Of everyone in her family that she had let down and disappointed, it was the alpha pair whom she had hoped to regain redemption of and good favor of the most. Her mother, brothers, and sisters, sure were angry with her, but as family, their fury was easier to tame. It was Zalen who nearly banished her forever and who had declared a death wish on her unborn pups. Until now, she never realized how deeply she had looked forward to the day that she could gain his forgiveness again, above everyone. And now that opportunity was long past and she had not even been aware.

The unfairness of it all was a final blow to her attempts to keep back the brewing emotions. Her snowy muzzle twitched at the physical pain in her chest and for a moment it felt like her breath could not be found. So much was snatched away from her, from her home, to her pups, to her whole life - all of it seemed to be unjustifiably scrambled and incinerated by her cruel abductors. “I should have been here,” she half wept and half growled before her head hung low as she absorbed this miserable moment.

What would the wise Moesha Tova have said? The voice of her second mother eased into her mind with her honeysuckle tone. All is not lost Leevana. You had no control over that part of your destiny, the past is the past. What matters now is what you do with your future and how you handle your misgivings. After a tantalizing sigh, somehow the feathered she wolf managed to compose herself. Although Moesha was partly wrong, there was no point in dwelling on an argument that was not even real.

Even if her family hated her for not being there to suffer with them, the only right thing to do was to see them regardless. She could always return to the Eden Seekers like she was supposed to after this temporary journey home for peace and closure in her life. “Thank you. It would mean so much if you would,” Leela’vana acknowledge with some spark returning to her eyes. There was much to be grateful for even if everything was seemingly so grim.

Movement and rusting drew the she wolf’s attention away from the Vinitta member, her ears instantly flicking towards it’s source and away from the jaded eyed girl. “Zyndea,” she scolded, standing with irritation. As if a switch had be flipped, the vulnerability she felt moments before was masked with her mother mode in full swing. “I told you to stay away from here.”

“I know but…that was a while ago and I started to get worried….” Zyndy attempted to justify her actions. However unacceptable her disobedience was, Leela’vana could never completely be upset at her miracle baby for just appearing. The Amarok mother just wanted to be able to hide the horrors of everything she could away from her youngster just a little longer. A pained face was successfully suppressed at the thought that her daughter would never, ever have the chance to know and see New Dawn.

“Who are you?”
the white and sorrel splashed hybrid girl inquired as she looked towards the only shifter amongst them. Her head tilted with thought, causing her single folded ear to flop. “Oh! Let me guess…" exclaimed the maiden with attempted enthusiasm, " Athena right?” At least the stranger fit the description her mother had detailed to her in one of many of her puppyhood stories.

Hannah
Non-Luperci
Small in Size

POSTED: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:59 pm

OOC: <333

There was no way the yearling could empathize with the onslaught of emotion -- from sorrow to regret -- the little wolf woman standing before her was experiencing. For Thyri, who had been born and raised within a society relaxed in such policies as those that governed New Dawn and who had never broken a rule so extreme as to face banishment, the intricate weavings of the loner's despair could only be imagined.

Thyri stood awkwardly before the grieving wolf, her heart aching for her. She took half a step forward, intending to offer a sympathetic lick or to lean comfortingly into her, but quickly stopped herself. For all she knew about the little Lupus, which wasn't much, she could be dangerous. Not that Thyri doubted her ability to defend herself against woman of her stature and shape, but to put herself in such a vulnerable position would be foolish. It would go against everything her aspiring rank demanded. So she held herself fast but released a soft whine to show her solidarity for the stranger's misery.

Silence followed, broken by the ivory woman's expression of gratitude. Thyri nodded and prepared to respond but was instantly alerted to the soft rustling sounds of disturbed foliage. In a flash of self-preservation, the Hollr's large Dane axe became a blur of metal and wood as she swung it around and faced whatever adversary should show itself. "Zyndea," the other said with an air of irritation as another wolf approached them. Thyri held her ground a moment longer, assessing the pair carefully, before relaxing her taut muscles and lowering the butt of her axe to the earth.

It seemed to Thyri that the girl was young, perhaps not much younger than she was but enough to make a difference. The Vináttan watched their interaction with some interest, considering the likelihood that they were mother and daughter. Her thoughts were dashed away when the girl turned upon her suddenly and attempted to guess her name. "Athena?" she questioned with a quizzical glance at the older woman. "No... My name is Thyri Dawnbringer." The yearling paused and looked from the hybrid back to her mother. "And I'd be happy to see what I can do. What's your name, anyway?"

[WC: 374]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

Dead Topics