Toil and Trouble

P. Lithia, Greater Halifax.

POSTED: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:01 pm

[ WC: 524] (+5)
Set in Greater Halifax, backdated to 1st September. For Sammiie/Lithia <3

Sunset had already hit. Reds and yellows seeped into the once bright blue sky, and the creeping midnight slipped further down from above. Each minute, a sliver of blood-orange sunlight slipped further into the nothingness of the West, and with each tick of time, the shadows crept out further and faster, eager to play.

Galilani, having unintentionally found herself further in the depths of Halifax than intended, had begun searching for an ideal camping ground for the night. Her initial plan had been to scavenge useful items for the Tribe, and perhaps for the decoration of her currently non-existent hut. She also desired books; stories to read, words to learn. Her brain ached for knowledge, and as the woman prowled the streets, she couldn't help but daydream about the treasures she might find.

Many of the houses that lined the street were invaded by plants and trees; with vines seeping through their cracks, and twisted metal bunched up in heaps. Clumps of leaves and shrubbery poked out from the piles of rubble and stone, and as she walked cautiously up the street, the towering eyes of the university wiggled into view, half-hidden by a towering hedgerow of conifers.

On first glance, it seemed fairly secure. Though it too had failed to hold off Mother Nature over the years, the rooms and roofing seemed still mostly intact. Shuffling the quiver upon her back cautiously, and sliding the bow atop her shoulder, the scout's walk rose to an urgent trot, and she quickly found herself shoving through a gap in the hedges, and within the campus grounds.

Stopping; a slow pivot on the spot, Galilani felt her mouth drop in awe. The buildings, varying in shape and size, seemed to glare down at her. She felt small, insignificant, as the crumbling stone and sun-bleached rooftops seemed to sparkle in the dying sunlight. Biting her lip, the scout ran a nervous hand through beaded, and feathered, hair. A small chuckle of unease left her mouth, and a darting gaze traced a moving shadow in the distance.

“Gadousdi galohisdi?” She muttered almost inaudibly, sighing with a shrug. The shadow had made her cautious, but she did her best to rationalise. Shifting the bow to her hand, tightly wrapped within her left palm, Galilani felt braver. Her attention returned to the university around her.

To her left, a large dormitory. Floors and floors of dark stone and tiny windows. It reminded Galilani of the prison further elsewhere in Halifax. To her right, a collection of smaller buildings; words scribbled on signs above their doors, but the dirt too thick to read them from where she stood.

Shrugging again, with a tired shake of her head, the crimson furred woman chose left. She had found interesting reading material in her trip to the prison, so by association, she expected to find the same in the dormitory. It was a short walk, however, across the campus grounds, and over the obstacles of debris and flora piled up, and whilst winding through the first set of trees, Galilani was certain of it. She was being watched.

Template by Hilli
Keep on Aiming.

POSTED: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:20 am

(000) Yesss you made writing my first post so easy! :D <33

It was easy to hide in this part of Halifax. There were so many structures and so many trees. Lithia had originally come to explore, poke around and get a feel of the place. Maybe she would find some useful material to take back to Anathema, and maybe not. It had not been her first intention to creep along the shadows and watch another, but that was exactly what she wound up doing anyway.

She had been exiting the Science Wing (though the stone sign was illegible from the outside) when she spotted another in the distance. In her hands, Lithia clutched a few books on fish, trees and stone working, in which she hastily and most quietly stuffed into her bag except for one. The other Luperci held a bow, but otherwise did not look as though she were looking for trouble. Instead, she looked a little bit scared, timid and curious about the place.

Lithia continued following her when she had chosen to go “left”, and for the most part, she remained out of sight. It wasn't until the woman had gone down an old flight of stairs and approached one of the buildings that Lithia had snuck some distance in between them. She managed to find another staircase in proximity to the approaching building and at the top, Lithia intentionally dropped the book in her hand. The slap sound echoed off the stone foundations, walls and bricks and Lithia’s pink eyes snapped to the woman quickly before she bent down to pick up her book. She still pretended not to notice her.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:07 am

[ WC: 552] (+5) Sorry for the wait :(

At first it was the sound of pigeons that echoed through the hallway of the dormitory. Puddles of muddy water rippled, unable to dry up in the shade of the stone. Vines snaked in and out of the cracks in the brickwork, and various old doors hung off their hinges. There was an uneasy vibe in the building, as specks of dust flitted down from the ceiling. However, it wasn't until the loud echo of leather against stone that fear truly set in.

Pivoting toward the direction of the noise, still standing at the base of the old staircase, Galilani's eyes fumbled to find the source. Narrowing, as a shadow slipped over her with the movement of the sun outside, emerald eyes finally locked on with the pink ones of an unknown woman.

Hackles rose along her spine, and Galilani felt her palm tighten anxiously around her bow. Swallowing, her lips twitching into an uncomfortable smile, Galilani studied the woman in silence, trying to decide the next best move.

There was a bag slumped against her hip, full to the brim of books. A knife glistened on a brown belt, and green and black clothing covered dark fur. Slivers of silvery white seemed to thread throughout her plaited hair, and Galilani did her best to read her body language. From the distance between them, however, there was not much to be read, and as she continued to pick up the dropped book, Galilani slowly approached.

Her steps were slow, cautious. Eyes slipped over every doorway, worried that perhaps the woman was not alone. An ambush could have been likely in such a dark, dreary place, and so far from Aniwaya, Galilani wouldn't stand a chance. Slinging her bow upon her shoulder, and readjusting her quiver strap, her feet splashed in one of the puddles, briefly breaking the silence of the hall.

A few feet from the stranger, she stopped. Her right palm clung to her right forearm, and she rubbed her thumb along the dirty, bloodied bandage nervously. Phantom pain stung along her elbow, and the woman winced as she stared at her reflection in one of the larger puddles.

Flicking her tail in a submissive wave toward her companion, Galilani lifted her head to greet the woman's gaze. She smiled kindly, pushing away the fear from her face. Raising her shoulders, she noted the slight height difference between them. Galilani felt small, just for a moment, but the feeling faded as she parted her lips to speak.

“He-- Hello,” she stammered carefully, swallowing tightly as her throat dried up. Rubbing her thumb faster against the bandage, Galilani glanced up at the cooing pigeons above their heads. She listened to them for a moment, pulling herself together, before returning to look at the stranger.

“A-- are yo-- you ok-- okay?” She signalled to the earlier dropped book, wondering if something had caused it to happen. Perhaps a threat, or an illness, or maybe even nerves. Galilani slipped a concerned eye over the blade, though felt confident with her own double sheathed daggers against her thigh.

“I'm Ga-- Galilani,” she confessed, trying to break the ice quickly. She wanted to assess the situation, or possible threat, as soon as possible.

“Fr-- from Aniwaya… What's yo-- your name?”

Template by Hilli
Keep on Aiming.

POSTED: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:50 pm

(000) sorry for the slow!

Their eyes met but a second as Lithia’s flicked down to the leather covering of the book. It took her a few seconds to pick it up and straighten, but by the time she stood again, the girl had come over to her and stood a couple feet away. Lithia couldn’t act surprised. She knew the girl was coming over. She could hear the quiet footfalls on the concrete.

Lithia rose and straightened, but didn’t expect to be questioned on top of it. ”Oh, yeah! I just dropped my book,” she replied, smiling and waving the book between them. ”I can’t say if the book’s ‘ok’ though.” She looked down for a moment, flipping the cover over and noting some scratches and chewy corners. There was damage to this book, but nothing like what minor thing could have been done by just dropping it.

Right from that little stutter on her tongue, Lithia could already tell that she could have some fun with this one. It reminded her of Nyx and how Nyx was willing to do whatever she asked. She wondered if this girl was just as easy to control…

”What are you doing out here? Exploring? Let’s explore together,” she spoke, not really allowing the girl, Galilani, to refuse. Why would she refuse anyway? These were creepy ruins that even Lithia didn’t want to explore on her own.

”I’m Lithia Napier, from Anathema.” Given the girl’s timidness, Lithia assumed she wouldn’t have to worry about New Dawn coming to bite her in the ass today. She didn’t forsee Galilani making a move against her, even with those little daggers and her little bow that she came with.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm

[ WC: 488] (+4) Not a problem :)

The response that fell from the woman’s mouth surprised Galilani. She sounded so happy, so perky. Her appearance deceived her, giving the impression of mischief, or of a darkness that couldn’t be controlled. It made the scout mildly uncomfortable, but the more she spoke, the more at ease everything seemed to feel.

Watching as the book was examined, Galilani smiled briefly at the mention of the book being okay. It was funny, and though she didn’t laugh, her eyes flashed their amusement, as she remained silent for the conversation to continue.

Being asked to explore was another surprise. Raising her brow slightly, she parted her maw to speak, but the woman continued and removed any possibility of refusal from the mouth of the scout. Smiling weakly, she nodded in acceptance, shifting the weight of her quiver on her shoulder and giving the corridor a quick glance over.

“Su—sure,” she finally managed to squeeze in, between statements. “Sou—sounds great.” Glancing over her shoulder, back down the hallway and the various doorways, Galilani shrugged as she spoke again, keeping one eye on her companion, and the other on a spider which dangled from the roof.

“Where… Where d—do you want—want to go? Wha—what kind of—of things ar—are you looking fo—for? More—more books…?” She swallowed, her throat feeling dry and tingling with the sound of trickling water nearby. There seemed to be a leak, and the muddy puddles weren’t helping her thirst either. Licking her lips to prevent discomfort, Galilani looked fully back to the dark pelted woman. She felt a shiver slip down her spine as their eyes connected, and those pink orbs seemed to burn her soul.

“Anathema?” She repeated slowly. Galilani had met a couple, and discussed various packs, but she couldn’t recall many details about that one at all. She wrinkled her brow thoughtfully, clicking her tongue as she spoke. “I don’t—don’t know much ab—about them, if—if I’m honest wi—with you… May—maybe you can te—tell me mo—more whil—whilst we explore…”

She smiled warmly, despite the niggling feeling that something wasn’t as it seemed. Galilani put it down to nerves, and shoved it away without a second thought.

“It’s ni—nice to meet yo—you, Lithia Napier. Tha—that’s a love—lovely name by—by the way…”

She held out an arm, extending her hand to point down the hallway. The spider scurried off with the sound of her movements, and Galilani watched it for a moment, before turning all attention back to her new companion.

“Lea—lead the way. Yo—you seem to kn—know where all—all the goodies ar—are anyway,” she nodded toward the book. “So—so I’ll leave it—it to you for—for now…”

She smiled again and waited to follow her lead.

Template by Hilli
Keep on Aiming.

POSTED: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:17 am

(300+) I don't know what this thread has done to me to be moving so slow :| I'm sorry.

The woman’s stutter made Lithia’s ears twitch. It seemed as though her speech was proper and would flow smoothly if it was not for the stutter. Weighing the odds, Lithia decided that Nyx’s stutter was much more annoying. Galilani mostly stuttered whole words, which prompted Lithia to guess what came next. The little AniWayan agreed like Lithia assumed she would, and that made the dark Napier happy. She’d get to spend a little while with this one and learn all about her.

”Nothing specific. Little treasures for trade. Anything interesting and useful, I guess,” Lithia said, walking down the stairs to accompany Galilani in the doorway. Pink eyes pierced darker green ones, ”Books are always useful too. I found these in that library over there. There are hundreds more.” She tossed her head, gesturing to a weathered building at the top of the steps with a crumbled statue and a few benches in front of it.

”Yeah,” she continued, stepping into the building and ignoring the spider that crawled above her head. ”I think our packs had an alliance at some point. Amorette Aston, a former AniWayan, and my Angelo are mates.” Even though the name made her blood boil, Lithia pretended as if she didn’t have a direct hatred for the woman. For now, Amorette was just an off-handed topic.

”Thank you,” she said finally, in response to Galilani’s compliment. ”Your name is very… exotic. I like it too.” She mostly lied… She didn’t find the name to be appealing at all, but it did sound exotic in a way. ”Let’s see what we can find down this hallway…”

When given the initiative, Lithia took the lead and walked down the weathered, dusted, corroded hallway, pausing at the first room they came across. The Anatheman looked into the dusted window and saw desks collapsed, dirty and about a half of a foot of papers on the floor.

She opened the door and slowly crept inside.

In the room, the condition worsened. The door hung off of its hinges, the classroom smelled deserted, and the soggy, rotting papers made the room smell musty and dank. There was a closet to the back and varying filing cabinets littering the room. There was a desk at the front of the room, which Lithia headed over to first. It had a class apple that somehow still sat, discarded on the desk and she picked it up and turned it over in her hand.

With bright eyes, she looked up at Galilani, ”What do you think this place was? Why would they have inedible fruit?”

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:34 am

[ WC: 526] (+5)
Not a problem, we can take it slow until your muse comes back :) <3

For the most part, Galilani didn't respond to Lithia at first. There were a few nods and smiles of acknowledgement, and in thanks of her compliment, but there was little in the way of sounds. It wasn't until Lithia had come down from her stairway perch and joined Galilani in the damp of the hallway that she finally spoke. It was quiet and thoughtful, but mostly, it was to fill the void of silence as they walked down the hallway to explore the rooms.

“What-- Why isn't th-- there an al-- allegiance an-- anymore the-- then?”

The Scout had only heard whispers of the Anathema pack. There was talk of slavery and of vicious, heartless canines within their ranks, but Galilani knew better than to heed the words of strangers. She would judge in her own time, and by asking questions directly to the woman in front of her, she could hopefully judge sooner rather than later.

Whilst waiting for a reply, Galilani watched, hovering in the doorway of the first room they could find. Lithia moved on ahead, slipping through the piles of old papers and broken furniture. Olive eyes scanned each section of the room, pondering over the objects and inwardly questioning their uses or designs in times already gone.

It wasn't until Lithia spoke of the apple that Galilani even entered the room. She stepped in quietly, observing every inch of dirt, damp, and damaged goods. An ear twitched at the question of inedible fruit, and as Galilani made her way to Lithia's side, the Scout couldn’t help but shrug in response.

“I-- I have no-- no idea,” she admitted quietly, looking at the strange object in her companion's hand. “Maybe,” she paused, motioning a hand across the piles of paper littered across the floor. “May-- maybe wh-- whoever was he-- here before u-- used it to-- to draw? T-- to practice? Li-- like with th-- the pictures we-- we see in bo-- books so of-- often?”

That was the best reasoning she could come up with. It made sense in her head, and seemed perfectly logical, but whether the dark furred woman saw things in the same way remained to be seen.

Looking between Lithia and the room, Galilani spied a pile of old, partially damp books in the corner near the closet. Nodding her head toward them, Galilani looked to Lithia quickly before approaching them.

“Y-- you said yo-- you like books,” Galilani glanced over her shoulder to see whether Lithia had come closer or wandered elsewhere in the room. “The-- these seem in-- in an o-- okay condition.”

She picked the top one up in her hand and blew the dust from the leather-bound cover. Some of the pages crunched in the movement, ruined by the exposure to flooding and other such conditions over the years. Pulling it open slowly, her olive eyes scanned the pages quietly. Only a musing sound of awe passed her lips, allowing silence to flood in between them, as she read the neatly printed words and discovered further interesting things about a world she knew nothing about.

Template by Hilli
Keep on Aiming.

POSTED: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:35 am

(300+) It's not so much my muse as the lack of time I have to post :o But thank you for understanding!

”Maybe our packs no longer see eye-to-eye and a mateship between Anathema and one of AniWaya’s daughters isn’t enough to hold us together,” she guessed, but she knew the answer. She just wasn’t about to spill all of Anathema’s dirt to this naive young woman. She was sure that Galilani would find out in time. Casa di Cavalieri would either feel the need to spread the news of their deeds or some word would slip, slandering Anathema’s name forever. It was only a matter of time.

Lithia turned the glass fruit over in her hand as the AniWayan came over and looked over her shoulder. Lithia took in the girl’s scent and thought about how different it smelled in comparison to her own people. Anathema had always had dank smells, something like this room sort of - except less rotten. It was either the moist, earthen caves or the moist, rocky Castle. The scent in the room was unpleasant, but being used to smells such as this, it didn’t particularly bother Lithia too much.

Galilani’s input about the glass object was as good as any. Lithia deemed it as an interesting item and after she dusted the object off on the fur of her thigh, she grabbed at her bag and dropped it inside. Swinging her bag back onto her shoulder, Lithia pushed further into the classroom, picking up plastic pieces scattered around on a table and the floor beneath it. Her ears pricked when Galilani called her attention to some books, and Lithia’s pink eyes watched as the AniWayan easily became absorbed in one of the books.

”Human stories were peculiar. My sister reads a lot and she always tells me about these love stories,” Lithia began, making her way over to the piles of books on the table near Galilani, and gesturing down to the book Galilani was absorbed in. ”It’s kind of crazy how their stories are so relevant to us. It makes me question the true ‘mutation’ of this virus that we all seem to have.”

Lithia flipped open the cover of another book. Her eyes followed the words carefully, reading them as To Kill a Mockingbird. She cocked her head, closed the cover and setting her bag on the table, threw it in. That book sounded pretty exciting.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:56 pm

[ WC: 566] (+5)

“Oh,” Galilani mused in response to the pink-eyed female’s speculations. She hadn’t heard enough on the grapevine to make up her own mind, but it still felt like her companion held something back. Whether that came from Galilani’s own paranoia, or the simple fact that there was just something not quite right about the female in front of her, the Scout didn’t know. Regardless, she took her words with a pinch of salt and gave a simple nod of recognition. She didn’t wish to rock the boat any further, or add any fuel to any slow burning fires that might be spreading their way toward AniWaya; lit at the paws of Anathema, naturally.

Topic turned briskly back to the objects around them. It seemed like a better choice for the two females, as politics was clearly neither of their favourite topic. Galilani watched as Lithia dropped the glass object into the satchel; a crease in her brow as she half expected the item to smash against the myriad of other objects she had stashed away in the same pocket.

“Lo-- love stories?” Galilani’s ears perked as the woman spoke. She looked over with one eye, the other remaining on the pages of the book in her hands. “Wha—what kind of lo—love stories? What happens in—in the—them?”

Galilani had always been fascinated with the topic of love. She knew very little about it – and her experience within it was even less. She thought she might have discovered it with Tomas in Maine, but he had been a cruel excuse for a canine, and his only interest was sex and pain – both of which, Galilani had received no pleasure from whatsoever.

Cody, however, made her smile. Leo, too. They gave her a weird feeling in her stomach. She wondered if that was the truth behind love – a stomach ache that doesn’t go away, and a chronic headache that flashes their faces in front of the eyes whenever they’re closed. She sighed quietly, shrugging away her intense thoughts. Judging from Lithia’s demeanour, she thought it best to keep those ideas to herself. She had the distinct impression that if such information were revealed, she might become the laughing stock for the woman’s entire year.

“What—what do yo—you know of—of the vi—virus?” She finally asked. Her curiosity peaked further, and if it weren’t for their differing tribes, Galilani felt she could learn a lot from the mysterious canine. She seemed to have her head screwed on, or at least, enough space inside it for a ton of interesting knowledge, and that was a good basis for a friendship in Galilani’s opinion.

“I he—heard tales’ gr—growing up, li—like most ot—others, bu—but they all so—sound so… so fan—fantastical. Wha—what have yo—you heard? Wha—what do—do you know? If yo—you don’t min—mind discussing i—it with me, of—of course…?”

She raised a brow in expectation. She tried her best not to appear too eager, but the swish of her tail behind her gave her away. Galilani loved in depth conversations, and the topic between them seemed like the perfect choice. She allowed the hall to fall silent between them, and as she watched the woman slip another book into her satchel, Galilani couldn’t help but wonder – what the hell was she thinking?

Template by Hilli
Keep on Aiming.

POSTED: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:12 am

(000) Whoa good thing I saw this bc I totally thought we archived it >.> (but I'm not complaining bc I need replies)

Lithia continued to finger through some more of the books on the table, either setting them aside or putting more into her bag. Her bag was pretty heavy when she buckled it and swung it back onto her shoulder. She decided not to take anything else, but noted this place’s location to come back for more of its educational materials. When Galilani asked about the love stories, Lithia leaned against the table behind her, watching the AniWayan rummage now.

”Oh, just your average, mushy love story. It’s all about the feelings of these creatures. They were so into their feelings. Male meets female, instantly she thinks he’s suitable. They flirt back and forth for a while… then male can’t get her out of his head and neither can female… and then they wind up mating and becoming mates. That’s the gist of it.”

Lithia remained there for a moment, wondering if Tzila would have been able to explain it better. Probably. She was the one reading it after all. Pink eyes found the face of the AniWayan, and she shook her head.

”Next to nothing. I’m the adventurous sister, not the bookworm sister. I have not yet found any information about the virus… because I guess it was a sudden thing? It’s not like they had time to write a book about it. They all just died… quickly.” That was where Lithia’s information had its limits. Luperci had no reason to nose around in matters that were. Plus, knowing it all didn’t benefit anything. They all had the virus, but it mutated canines and killed off humans.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

Dead Topics