This road never looked so lonely

AW for 1

POSTED: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Devil gonna follow me e'er I go.

Russ sighed as he lowered himself to the leaf littered ground, resting his back against the relatively solid wall behind him. He'd been lucky enough to find the old, slightly crumbly shell of an old human habitation deep in the woodlands of the valley. Low scrub and climbing plants had reclaimed much of the building, the sturdy, woody stems of the climbers meandered over the exposed brickwork, tendrils anchoring themselves in cracks in the mortar, responsible for the fragility of the structure and the scattered bricks. Luckily much of the roof and the interior was untouched by the plant-life, though a distinct smell of animal saturated the two rooms of the small building.

Regardless of the state of the building and interior, Russ was just glad for a safe place to rest. His paws ached from all the walking he had done; in the months that he had been gone he had managed to wander quite a ways from his old home. Now that he was closer to home he began to feel some trepidation. He had every reason to believe that they would just turn him away. He had turned up out of the blue to a mixed reception and then had immediately disappeared with no explanation at all. Florina would likely be apoplectic with rage when he turned up again, but he could only try, and he had every intention of staying this time. He no longer desired the life of a traveller, he wanted family and friends and a place to call home. He hoped that he could find that in Vinátta again, hopefully with his brother Lochlan. Though only time would tell if it would come to pass.

Until then he needed to think of feeding himself and staying alive. He raised his head and looked about; the hovel was sheltered enough that he figured he could risk a fire and cook a little, but first he would need something to cook. He had jerky and a couple of eggs, very carefully wrapped, in his pack but he would do much better with some fresh meat. Kari would likely return with some small rodent or bird, but that would only be enough for her little feline form. He would need a rabbit or two to satisfy his hunger.

He pulled his bag to his lap and began to rummage for his trap making supplies. His older sister, Teagan, had taught him how to lay out snares and traps for rabbits and other small animals, though she had made him promise that he would never leave a snare for too long, nor would he set a snare in water. He knew that she had gained her three legged otter companion that way, the incident traumatising her and Skipper. He would always follow his sisters advice and had made the promises readily, these snares were only for rabbits and would be laid inland. His large hands made short work, looping wire easily, now he just needed to find ideal places to set the traps. He heaved himself to his feet, gathered the wires up and ducked under a fringe of leaves to emerge into the sunlit woodland of the valley, ready to bag himself some dinner.

AW for one, if anybody would like to meet a Russano, maybe help him get some food, he'd be happy to share. Would be awesome for a family member or other VNer to turn up.

POSTED: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:58 pm

OOC: not that I need any more Thyri threads but HIII

There was a scent in the autumn air, familiar and familial, but diluted from distance and time. It triggered a feeling of nostalgia, a wisp of reminiscence she couldn't quite retain, and drove her mad from the inability to find a suitable explanation within her sea of memories. In the end, unable to concentrate on anything but the wraith-like tendrils of perfume, Thyri abandoned her ventures in foraging and endeavored to seek out the owner of the elusive aroma.

The surrounding foliage, vibrant in hues of molten flame, danced to the tempo of the wind and scattered shards of sunlight across the yearling's pale coat. As she loped, leather sack around one shoulder and Dane axe held across her chest, Thyri saw little of the season's beauty for her infuriating thoughts. A rabbit spooked nearby and kicked up a handful of dry leaves with a crunching scrape, sending a trio of squirrels to scurry up the safety of ragged trees. The Araedi watched the flash of its cotton tail impassively before treading on.

Though it was true her mind was focused on a single task, it wasn't to say she would not have recognized danger, particularly if it threatened her pack. She was still young, and new to her rank, but Thyri took her job more seriously than she took anything else. The safety of her family and friends was of utmost importance; to fail in providing them protection would utterly destroy the young Vináttan. She would not let them down. But the forest was quiet and calm. Aside from the scent that was growing ever stronger, there was nothing alarming to vie for her attention.

When at last she found him, a buzzing of excitement reverberated through her being. "Russano?" she barked, her tail whipping quickly to and fro. She had never been particularly close to her badger-marked cousin, having grown up in a time when there was an abundance of puppies her own age, but she knew him. He was family. "What are you doing?"

[WC: 337]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Apothecary I Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:43 am

He knelt beside a likely tree, swiftly looping wire about an exposed branch and anchoring the snare, now ready for some creature to wander into it. He was just tweaking some exposed wire, sure to be seen by any prey, when a voice barked out his name. He shot upright in surprise, turning to find the owner of the voice, who apparently knew him, the quickness of his elevation to his full height making him stagger almost imperceptibly as the blood struggled to resume normal circulation. His ice blue eyes fell upon the smaller, pale form of one of his many cousins, he had not known the girl very well when he and his siblings had lived in Vinátta, but he knew her name at least. "Th- Thyri." He stammered, shock still fogging his head, but quickly clearing. He glanced back down at the snare in automatic response to her question, suddenly scared that he had trespassed into claimed territory. He didn't know how Vinátta punished poachers, or how they would go about punishing him, being family and all.

Russano looked back to his cousin and brought his hand up to rub the back of his neck, a sign of nervousness or insecurity that he had picked up from his father, though Niernan's was usually accompanied by a smirk or a laugh. "Uh... I was hunting." He glanced back down to the snare and then back to the Dawnbringer, "I can move the snare if need be. I don't want to trespass." In a slightly more puzzled tone he added, "I wasn't aware that Vinátta had spread out this far..." The words tailed off into silence and he stood, waiting for the smaller wolf to say something.

Despite his unease over the current situation he was glad to see Thyri. It had been a long while since he had seen any family, not since his failed attempt at joining those few months back. He looked at her properly then and noticed that she was healthy and well built, a sign that the pack was doing well. His eyes, after his general sweep, affixed to the Frithr pendant that nestled against her chest. He felt an urge to touch his own pendant, the wooden Mjolnir resting comfortably between his carved badger and pewter serpents, but he resisted.

:D Thank you for joining! Have an awkward Russ for your troubles.

POSTED: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:33 pm

"It is you!" she yapped happily when he rose, turning to stammer her name with some surprise. Her tail carried on its excited tempo from behind her and she craned her neck upwards to keep eye contact with him. Though Thyri was not a small wolf -- her size taking after her Mackenzie Valley heritage -- Russano managed to tower over her and remind her oddly of puphood. Certainly there were many other wolves within Vinátta that were larger than she was but none quite so tall as her distant cousin.

As she watched him, her tail eased its cadence and her smile faltered. Following his gaze down at the snare, she flicked her eyes back upwards again and frowned. "You're not trespassing," she said, her frown deepening. What was wrong with him? "Besides, you're family, Russ. And that," she emphasized, gesturing to the snare with a glance. "Isn't going to give you much. Let's do some real hunting! And we can go back to Vinátta afterwards." The idea that this wasn't something he might want to do never crossed her mind. To the young Araedi, she couldn't think of any other reason why he was in the area. Surely he wanted to come back home!

Thyri settled her pale eyes upon him once more and saw he was watching her. Instinctively, she lifted a hand to her Frithr and offered him another healthy smile. When her eyes fell upon the scars on his face her brows furrowed again thoughtfully. Those were new, she thought. At least, she couldn't recall anything so disfiguring happening to him when he was in Vinátta. "I think we have a lot to catch up on," she said, wanting desperately to know about his scars but deciding to take a more diplomatic approach. It was difficult, holding her curiosity at bay. "So how about it?"

[WC: 308]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Thyri seemed thoroughly pleased to find him out here, her wagging tail and easy smile portraying her glee at seeing him, and he couldn't help but feel a surge of hope rise in his chest. Perhaps all was not lost and his prospects of rejoining his birth pack were better than he once thought. If his cousin was quite so happy to see him then Florina couldn't have tarred him as he believed she might have done. The tight little ball of anxiety in his chest began to unravel slowly, quickened only when the pale wolf reassured him that he had not been trespassing at all. He let out a relieved sigh and allowed a rare smile to touch his scarred lips, the expression almost foreign to the normally stoic wolf.

He did not fail to notice her confused frown, he just didn't know how to react to it and as such pushed it aside, choosing to focus on her words. She re-affirmed the familial connection, sending a flare of warmth through his chest, and then dismissed his snare as pitiful. He quirked his scarred eyebrow up and chuckled deeply at her judgement of the wire trap. True, it wouldn't bag him anything bigger than a rabbit, but then that had been his attention; he had only been hunting for himself for the one night and perhaps tomorrow. Though he admitted to himself that he wouldn't mind a taste of something bigger and more challenging. Yet his heart stuttered and his smile slid a little as she mentioned returning to Vinátta afterwards. The Viking pack had been his end destination, and he had every intention of trying to rejoin his family, but the fear of rejection still lived within him. Though he supposed he had to face that fear eventually, so why not today? This meeting with his cousin had heartened him somewhat and despite the cold fear in his gut he could still feel the warmth from her familiarity. He decided then that he would return with her after their hunt, and face Florina, perhaps with a gift of meat.

With one quick movement he unhitched the wire from the branch and coiled it back up to go in his pack, the move a well practised one from his time hunting and travelling alone. Her eyes had found the scars on his face, he could tell from the way they danced about his lip and eyebrow, though she withheld any questions and simply stated that they needed to catch up. He smirked at that, sure that they had much to tell each other as it had been a long while since either had had news of the other. Her inquiry was met with a resolute nod, "Let's go hunting then. Perhaps we can talk after, on our way home." The word felt strange in his mouth. For a while home had been the Solbjorg where his mother and father, sisters and grandparents had been. Then home had been wherever he laid his head that night and the memory of a pack, muzzy memories of warmth and love. Now it was a fragile promise, something that could be shattered by the decisions of one wolf. His half-sister. A reunion that he dreaded all over again. But until then he would lose himself in the hunt with Thyri.

<3

POSTED: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:45 am

OOC: Poor Russ :< IS OKAY BUDDY <3 Feel free to PP Thyri as needed c:

It was not lost on her, the smile that spread neatly across his badger-marked face and made his scars more pronounced. Thyri responded in kind, her own lips drawing upwards happily to match the cheerful cadence of her tail. This was a rare sight for the young Dawnbringer, who typically regarded outsiders with reservation and poise. After all, whenever she strayed from the borders of her pack, she was a representative from Vinátta; to act such a fool in front of strangers could be disastrous and blatantly embarrassing. But Russano was no stranger and Thyri did not feel bound to adhere to the same self-established rules.

None the wiser to his apprehension about rejoining Vinátta, the youthful Dawnbringer watched her cousin deconstruct his snare and replace the wires carefully into his rucksack. She took note how quickly -- how proficiently -- he dispatched of the trap and filed the memory easily within her mind. Thyri lacked such knowledge about traps and snares, preferring the thrill of a hunt to the frequent checking of traps, but decided it wouldn't be bad to learn a little about such techniques. Once he was settled back into the pack, she decided, she would need to talk to him about teaching her the basics of such hunting methods.

To hear Russano agree to her suggestions immediately shuffled all of her other thoughts to the wayside and she matched his resolute nod with a cheerful one of her own. "Yeah!" she barked, clearly pleased. "Oh Russ, you've missed so much. I can't wait to catch you up!" As a youth, Thyri had been lucky to have so many pups her own age to grow and explore with. But it was her older cousins, Lochlan and Orvar and now Russ -- that she felt most blessed to have in her life. They were the wolves who taught her the really important things, about love and safety and family, and had the distinction of still being young enough to really understand her. They were invaluable.

As they set out, Thyri fell into an easy silence and scouted the terrain for prey with her acute senses. There were deer in the distance but they would be in rut, she'd recently discovered, and was hesitant to pursue them. Instead, another scent had caught her attention and she turned to Russano inquiringly. "How about turkey?" she asked with a small smirk. They would be easier to take down but still large enough to provide more of a meal than a rabbit.

[WC: 417]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:48 pm

He couldn't help the joyous rise in his chest as Thyri barked excitedly, he felt his tail wag in response and was surprised at himself. He was never normally this expressive around others, his emotions and body language usually suppressed. He was more comfortable with his stoicism, this sudden rush of feeling was foreign and new, he was unsure of how to process it and so pushed it away for now, he would examine it later, for now he would just let it happen.

His cousin exclaimed that he had missed much. He had assumed that he would have done, though it hadn't really felt real until Thyri had said so; it was all too easy to believe that time just stopped and nothing changed once you left an area behind. Logically he had known that life in Vinátta had carried on without him, but for a while he had felt like maybe he would just be able to pick up where he left off, like nothing had changed. Thyri's words had cleanly smashed that aside, and he was... relieved. He figured that was a strange thing to feel for he knew nothing of what had gone on in his absence, all sorts of tragedies could have befallen the pack, but at least things had changed and the pack had persevered. He supposed that was why he was relieved; to know that his home was strong and resilient.

He turned his softest smile on his cousin, "I look forward to hearing all about it." He paused then, unsure how much Thyri knew of the Solbjorg and whether she would be at all interested in the Stormbringers ancestral home. Her mother had been born and grown up there, but he didn't know how much Aunt Shiloh had told her children of the valley, though perhaps Thyri would like to hear of it anyway. He certainly had things to fill his other family members in on when they returned to Vinátta, "The Solbjorg still stands strong." It was all he could think of to say in that moment, sure that updates on family that she had never met would only puzzle the younger wolf.

He watched her as she seemed to catch a scent, a smirk on her lips as she turned to him. Turkey was a new on for him. He had seen the large, odd looking birds on his travels but had never hunted one. It would pose an interesting challenge. He nodded, "Sounds good to me." He waited a moment for her to take the lead; she knew these woods better than he and he put no stock in the thinking that males should lead. In his experience females were equal if not better hunters. He was also interested to see his cousins style of hunting.

So sorry for the wait, I had no internet :O

POSTED: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:59 pm

OOC: Oh man, having no internet sucks :c No problem! Feel free to PP Thyri again as needed <3

The Solbjorg. She had heard the words often and with reverence. It instilled within her a sense of deep familial ties and curiosity. ”Will you tell me about it, Russ?” Thyri asked the hulking Stormbringer, glancing at him with her pools of jade. ”When we get back home? I’ve been meaning to ask Mom, but…” She looked away and shrugged, her smile wilting. ”She left. She’s living in Cour des Miracles now, with King Silvano. My father.”

It was nearing a month since Shiloh’s decision to remain in the Court. Thyri was slowly adapting to life without her overbearing mother but there were still moments when her absence felt like a physical burden.

Thyri shrugged again, more emphatically this time, and replaced the smile back on her face. ”It’s good she’s with my dad, though. She’s where she needs to be.” As much as her mother was missed, Thyri was more than capable of caring for herself and she could certainly make sure Myrkr stayed safe, too. Shiloh’s diplomatic poise and soothing presence was far more valuable at the Court in their time of unrest.

Her smirk deepened into a broad grin. ”Okay, c’mon,” she said with a gesture, her axe held between her hands in front of her chest. It would be little help with the hunt and Thyri wished she could have predicted running into Russano; she would have brought her bow and arrows instead. But wishing things were different did little good and Thyri brushed the thought away, deciding she would stash her axe and satchel in a hidden spot once they had neared the turkey. Without her bow and arrows, she hunted better on all fours.

There were four hens sparsely grouped together, their feathers drab against the bright autumn leaves surrounding them. Thyri paused to hide her weapon and leather satchel inside the hollow of a nearby tree and shifted easily out of her Optime form with a series of soft pops. She glanced up at Russ, wondering if he would feel more comfortable hunting on two legs rather than four, and flicked an ear. ”Ready?” whined softly, inching nearer the birds once it was clear he was prepared for the hunt.

Turkeys were large, heavy birds with sharp talons and powerful wings. She had conveyed this to Russano as they followed their scent and laid out a basic plan to pick out a smaller one and ambush the group to send them scattering. ”Hopefully we can take it down quickly, before it tries to fly away,” she had told him with a smile.

Crouched down in the brush, Thyri watched the turkeys a moment longer before flicking her eyes at Russano. Let’s go, they said and the yearling loped quickly towards the hens, sending them scattering in a flurry of gobbles and dislodged feathers.

[WC: 476]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Thyri's question for him to tell her about the Solbjorg when they returned home caused a rush of memories to rise up. He had so much to tell; both good and bad. He absently raised a hand to touch at his lip scars, remembering just how he had got them. He wasn't sure if he should tell the golden girl about the conflict that still waged between the Stormbringer's and the Dawnrunner's, though it was an integral part of Solbjorg life. He supposed he'd have to one day, she'd find out anyway, but he didn't have to tell her today.

Her next words though shocked him, his ice blue eyes widened and he glanced back at her. He had never thought that his fierce Aunt Shiloh would ever leave the Viking pack. Though perhaps love was enough reason to leave for another home, and he assumed that she loved Silvano, certainly enough to leave her family in Vinátta for him. His cousin seemed a little bothered by it, something in her voice and the despondent shrug alerting him to her feelings on the matter, though he had no idea what to say or do. He thought about reaching out to her, but she spoke up just as he was deciding to offer a touch, his hand remaining by his side. Perhaps she wasn't quite so perturbed by her mothers move, or perhaps she was putting on a brave face. He let his eyes rest on her for a moment, watching as she put her smile back on, almost as easily as slipping on a necklace. He was sure there was something she wasn't saying but he couldn't blame her; they may be blood family, but they were practically strangers. The hulking man hoped to change that, and maybe he'd get her to open up about it in the future.

For now they had hunting to do. She turned to him with a broad grin and beckoned him on. He returned the smile and trotted along beside her. Luckily the turkeys were not that far away. He found himself in a similar dilemma to Thyri; his satchel hampering his ability to hunt. He unslung the bag from his shoulders and stashed it beside hers, tucking them safely away. He had no trouble hunting in his bipedal form, in fact he didn't really like to shift all that much; it was too much bother to deal with clothes and necklaces all the time, not to mention undoing and redoing his mane between shifts. So he remained on two legs, looking politely away as his cousin swiftly shifted to four legs.

He listened eagerly as she conveyed to him, in hushed whispers, what he needed to know about turkeys. He could tell by looking at them that they were heavy birds. Though Thyri informed him that they were also strong and had claws that could inflict damage. He eyed those prehistoric looking feet with wary eyes and nodded in response to her plan, an ambush definitely seemed the best course of action. The turkeys were clustered together, almost as if they knew they were being stalked, though both he and Thyri were low to the ground, careful not to be seen. One particular bird caught his attention; she was clearly smaller than the others, but was safely nestled in the middle of the group, they would have to spook them to get at her. He caught the look that Araedi sent his way and he readied himself.

Thyri burst from concealment, loping towards the birds, ready to barrel through them. Before she could reach them they took flight clumsily, with a great deal of flapping and strange gobbling noises that Russ thought were ridiculous. He tamped down his amusement and sprang with a small snarl rippling in his throat, clawed hands outstretched and eyes fixed on the smallest bird. Sensitive finger pads brushed against feathers and instinctively grasped. His left hand grabbed only air, his right was buried deep in wing feathers, and then he hit the ground. The turkey that he had grabbed gobbled in alarm and pain as it hit the ground with him, his claws finding flesh amongst the feathers to get a better grip. He rolled as he hit the floor, trying to pull the bird into his chest and grab it with his other hand, all while trying to avoid the other madly flapping wing and the kicking feet.

Totally didn't get distracted by youtube videos midpost...

POSTED: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:15 pm

OOC: Short and sweet <3 Thyri is crazy-impressed with Russ' mad hunting skills, yo. She's probably going to follow him around and pester him to teach her Optime hunting ('cause she really only ever hunts with bow and arrow or in Lupus form) c;

Ambushed, the turkeys were frantic to escape. They released squawking gobbles and pounded the air with their broad wings and sliced the ground with their sharp feet, kicking up curled leaves and dry soil. The thrill of the hunt ignited Thyri's heartbeat, her body and mind charged with electrifying adrenaline. She launched herself into the frenzy and snapped at the nearest bird, her glinting fangs catching only empty air. Her jaws met with an audible click and she swung her head sharply, jade eyes following the hen's escape. It hadn't yet become airborne and Thyri scrambled after it with wrinkled lips.

A series of unnatural sounds erupted from the hen's throat when the wolf closed her jaws over the bird's tail features. Strong with the need to survive, the turkey twisted away, beating the bloodthirsty predator with powerful wings and pecking at its face with her sharp beak.

Thyri yelped and drew away from the berserk turkey, allowing the large hen to escape with its life and only a few tail feathers lighter. A sturdy flight feather had caught her in the eye while the beast's beak had left a scratch across her nose. But worse than both of those was the unpleasant sting of failure. A flurry of activity to her right caught her attention and she watched, one eye squinting and watery, with awe as her cousin snatched a smaller hen from the sky and wrestled it to the ground. Seeing it was trying to beat Russano with its one remaining wing, the Dawnbringer lurched into action and, after a moment of frustrating misses, took the creature's flapping wing in her mouth. As she held it down, she sought out her cousin's icy eyes and hoped her meager assistance would be enough for him to delivery the final blow.

[WC: 301]

New Caledonia
DEAD
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

Dead Topics