I'm not known for my pleasantries

Callum

POSTED: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:27 am

Teagan’s wandered to the stables! Fore-dated to OCT 30, hope that’s okay! (+448)

She rather liked their new place, the Stryder child had come to agree, nodding approvingly as she sat out in the front yard. There had been so many new sights and smells to investigate in the family’s house. She was too young to appreciate the more human and creature comfort qualities it provided just yet. To her simple mind, the new place of which she slept at night was intriguing and fun-filled. However, she was still trying to get used to the idea that the move was a permanent one, and that they would not be going back to the den.

The autumn sun was high in the sky, and warmly bathed the earth below it. Despite this, the air was still cool with the oncoming of winter, but, it was warm enough that the whelp would not have to worry about shivering until nightfall. It was a good day for adventure, and Teagan planned to do just that. She ceased her staring at the structure and turned her pale gaze onto what lied beyond it, to the East.

Various buildings stretched the landscape, and all of it was surrounded by a great wall. What else was out there? What adventures awaited her away from the family’s abode? She dared to find out. She turned to give the house one final glance before she sprung off towards the other large structures. Her leathery nose worked wildly as she padded along, taking in all of the strange new smells that she stumbled upon. She passed a few strangers as she slunk around, being ever careful to avoid catching their attention. They all walked like her parents; on two legs, and their height difference from her own was enough to cause the Stryder pup to skitter away to remain unseen. It wasn’t long until she reached a particularly smelly place.

Teagan’s nose crinkled as she came to the large opening of the building. Her tail rose stiffly as she cautiously crept through the threshold. So many weird sounds reverberated in her little ears; most were low in pitch, others were high, and caused the puppy to quickly retrace her steps to the safety of the outside. Curiosity had the child returning though.

As if sensing the pup’s presence, an alien-like creature stuck its head out from its stall. Startled, Teagan bolted, only to quickly return as she noticed the creature hadn’t come after her. The wolfdog stared at the strange beast for a moment before yapping, “What happened to your face, mister?!” It was all long and stretched out! And, the thing didn’t have fur! What kind of thing was this?

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
The Brotherhood: Master of Bladed Weapons
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Sorry for the wait! -- +400

Milité had missed him during his recuperation, Cal thought. When he had entered the barn an hour before, the horses had all responded with interest, their varied colored heads peeking from above stall doors. Mil's was among them, and when he caught sight of the snowy Knight he nickered, a surprisingly pleasant sound from a usually surly beast. Cal picked several tools from the barn wall where they hung, different brushes for different jobs and carried them to Mil's stall, bopping the stallion on his nose with one to forestall the nip he nearly received to his bicep. Surprisingly, that one attempt was the only one Mil made, settling down to let Cal brush his back, neck, and flanks.

The job was monotonous, but far from boring. After only a little time, the Shire shifted his weight, resting a hind leg in his relaxation. The brush had claimed most of the dead hair, dust, and debris from one side of Milité's bay body when the sound of horses shuffling and blowing drew his attention. He leaned out from Mil's stall expecting to see another adult come to care for or ride their horse, but was surprised to look down at Teagan's somewhat shrill exclamation made in response to one of the great heads being lowered to inspect her. Cal worried for a moment, unlatching the stall door swiftly so he could go to scoop her up. Not all of the horses were particularly friendly, and as small as Teagan was he did not want her to be bitten.

But it was Tupelo's stall that the tan and black pup had stopped before, and Tupelo whose nose was extended to the youngster. More relaxed now, Cal chuckled at his niece's astonishment, easing himself the rest of the way out of the stall and shutting the door behind him. Mil followed him as far as the door would allow, eyeing the small pup for a moment before withdrawing his head. Cal walked to the first stall and scratched the ear attached to the palomino paint's lowered head. This is Tupelo, he informed Teagan. She's a horse.

Cal's knees bent into a crouch, bringing him nearer to the ground and to his little niece. Tupelo just blew, gently, her great nostrils drawing in both his and Tea's scent. He reached his other hand out to ruffle the soft black ears, and asked, Would you like to see her closer?

Callum Knight
Callum Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Officer (NPC)
Katie
Luperci Pupsitter White Knight Rage, rage against the dying of the light

POSTED: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:02 pm

Totally fine~<3 (+386)

The weird looking animal’s head came down at her rude words, and Teagan strode forward—tentatively—with inquiring sniffs. She had never seen such a creature before. Its ears were tiny and thin compared to her own, and, its eyes! They were huge and so widely spaced it was as if they were placed on the sides of its head! It had hair too which fell to the side of its neck and face, and was like her mother and father’s in their two-legged forms. The large beast let out a huff of air, and the pup skittered back at its suddenness and warmth. “Your nose is messed up too,” she told the creature in case it wasn’t aware of it itself.

The sound of chuckling caused her head to swivel away from the animal. “Uncle Cal!” she recognized with a smile and wave of her tail. The older Knight exited from one of the pens, and another one of the long-faced animal’s heads poked out with his leaving. As he walked towards her, Teagan waddled a bit towards him. “I didn’t know you lived here!”

When he stopped, she sat at his feet. She watched as the patchwork-furred male rubbed the animal’s ears affectionately like had done to her. He introduced the two, and supplied the name of the odd creature. “A horse?” She parroted, trying the word out on her tongue. As if forgetting her manners, the pup blurted up at the horse, “Oh, and, hello Tupelllo!” She found humor in how the latter word sounded similar to the former. There was a pause, and the pup apologized, “Sorry I called you a boy.”

Her attention returned to Callum as he knelt down to her level. When he ruffled her fur, Teagan giggled and tried to move out from his large hand. She moved to give him a playful nip when he suddenly asked her a question, stopping her short of her target. She put away her teeth and grinned. “Yes, please, Uncle Cal,” she answered eagerly, moving closer to him and attempting to throw her paws up onto his knees. Her tail wagged rapidly behind her as her gaze went from Tupelo to Callum. “I wanna see what the rest of her looks like.”

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:36 am

OOC Here -- +332

He grinned all the wider at Teagan's words to him and to the mare. I don't live here, but Mil over there is my horse, and I was brushing him to make him clean. I sleep in the Courthouse, the big building over there, downstairs.

Teagan's front paws batted at his knees, and he took the opportunity of her being relatively bipedal to lift her up, so he could show her the palomino. First he held her sideways, cradling her ribs in one hand with her rump under his arm, but he shifted her so that her head was on a level with his, with her hindquarters pressed against his right side and her paws fitted at his shoulder. Tupelo canted her head at an angle to look at them with one large, liquid eye, but otherwise remained still.

Holding his niece as he was, Callum was given one hand to pet the mare's neck while Teagan looked her fill. As far as Tupelo was concerned, they could have looked all day; she was just happy for the company. Cal thought he might brush her out after he finished Mil, but the shire's brushing would be waiting till Teagan was satisfied because the Knight was afraid the stallion might bite her. Not for the first time, he wondered if he ought to geld the bay beast and be done with his attitude, or whether it would even do any good.

Shaking his head lightly, he said, See, Tupelo stands on four legs like you. But she has hooves, instead of paws. Hooves are hard, like bones. Deer and their kind, cows, sheep, goats, and pigs all have hooves, too. Many of those things he knew that the Stryder child would probably not see for some time, but the tidbit of information was something she could store in her memory till she needed it. And they had some of those animals right inside Casa, just an adventure away.

Callum Knight
Callum Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Officer (NPC)
Katie

POSTED: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:57 am

(+407)

She shifted so she could look around him when he mentioned he didn’t live there, but his companion did. Her nose scrunched up as she looked back up at him. “You were giving him a bath?” She hated bathes and getting cleaned, and could only imagine the horse’s pain at receiving one.

The Stryder child was silent for a moment as she registered the second half of his answer. She looked back out the opening of the stable, spying the large structure in the middle of the village. Teagan looked back up at Callum, cocking her head as she asked for confirmation, “That’s the one where Daddy goes sometimes?” She paused as a thought invaded her mind suddenly. “How come you live over there? And how come everyone goes in your house a lot?” She’d seen lots of adults enter and exit the large building. Was her uncle someone important? Or did they just like to see him often?

Teagan let out a content, soft squeal as her uncle lifted her up so she could see the horse better. Tupelo’s eye watched them, calm and placid, and the mare’s demeanor intrigued the Poco. She seemed so nice! Callum reached out to stroke Tupelo’s mane, causing jealousy to sprout from Teagan in her inability to do the same. Teagan looked at her paws and then back to her uncle’s large hand, wondering what the horse felt like. “Is she soft?” She blurted. At least, if she couldn’t do it herself, she could imagine it.

The Knight went on to explain about the horse, and Teagan’s canary gaze finally moved further from Tupelo’s neck and face. Whoa,” the whelp breathed as she saw how huge the rest of the horse’s body was. She looked Tupelo over a bit more as she considered her uncle’s words. She knew a few of the animals he’d spoken of, had only heard of the others. “How come she’s got hooves instead of paws?” What were hooves like? He had said they were hard, like bone, and the only image that came to the pup’s mind was a gruesome one. Teagan barely waited for an answer before she had fired another question, “And how come her face is so long and different from me and yous?” She reached up to touch her paw to his nose for emphasis.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:55 am

Sorry for the super-long wait! Including this post, Melissa wanted two more rounds. <3 Hoof answer is slightly BS'd, but I don't know if Callum would have an exact answer for that anyway. xD -- +517

Oh, children and their ceaseless questions. He had quite forgotten just how prone to asking about everything young children were, or perhaps his own had not questioned things quite so much, because of their simpler, feral upbringing. There was simply more to ask questions about within the walls of the Fort, and his niece's young brain was trying to absorb it all like a sponge. Regardless of whether the multiple queries were normal or not, Callum would never be the one to just write it off as "because I said so" and end the torrent.

So it was with patience that he took in her first question, though an answer was not forthcoming till several more had tripped off her tongue. That's the Courthouse. The Sole and Lune -- your papa, have offices there where they can do important leadery things, and so do the healers and the other very important wolves, but there are also quite a few rooms downstairs with beds and things in them so that wolves who have joined, but aren't ranked high enough to have their own houses yet, have a place inside the Fort to sleep. The Fort keeps all of us safe. His long-winded explanation would hopefully clear up any confusion, but Callum could identify at least two further questions that might come from said explanation.

After but a few moments of quiet while the mare and the pup regarded each other, Teagan had still more questions, but at least these were about animals instead of the more difficult pack related ones from before. We have paws because it makes us quieter when we're hunting. Horses and other prey have hooves because they are sturdier than paws are and the animals can run faster that way on ground that might be too sharp for us, and they can also use hooves to defend themselves against things that would try to hurt them. Their faces are long so they can smell better and because of the way they eat, and their eyes are on the sides of their head so that they can see further to their sides where we see mostly in front of us. That's why a horse might turn their head to look at you with one eye when you come up, so they can see you better.

Instead of verbally replying to Teagan's question of whether Tupelo was soft, he merely shifted how he was holding her once again so that she was near enough the mare to touch both a lock of mane and the long, curved neck with her small paws. They were not quite fingers, but surely Tea could get some sense of what the horse's hair felt like. After a few minutes, he cocked his head to one side as he contemplated something, unsure of whether he could trust Tea to do her part. Finally he decided. If you can promise me that you'll stay back where you won't be stepped on, I could probably bring Tupelo out, so you can see her better.

Callum Knight
Callum Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Officer (NPC)
Katie

POSTED: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:26 pm

(+532)
Perfectly fine~<333 Life is life! And, XDD that’s fine too! It’s good enough for baby-Teagan!

She was quiet as she listened to her uncle, thoughtfully trying to make sense of all the words he had compiled together. The Stryder youth did well to let him finish, though, there were plenty of questions that burned in her mind while he explained. To keep from simply bombarding him with them, however, she tried to weed out which were the most important to be answered. The rest, she could likely figure out on her own…or they’d be forgotten because they weren’t deemed a priority.

“What’s an…” No, that one could wait. “What are the other ‘very important’ things?” There, that was better. Still young, her world mostly consisted of adventuring and seeing new sights rather than paying attention to what adults did day in and day out. What could they being doing that was more important than seeing the world and getting their bellies filled with yummy food?

“And how come they gotta live there?” She was referring to the lower-ranking members. “And how come you’re there? You’ve been here all my life!” From what she could understand, Callum hadn’t “just joined” the pack.

Her uncle educated the whelp about why the two animals’ feet were different. As he explained, Teagan considered her own paws thoughtfully, looking at the backs of them before turning them over to inspect the pads. She could grasp the concept of some of it, not all of it, but, that was good enough for her. Callum even went the extra mile and explained why Tupelo’s face and head looked so funny. Teagan looked up at him, her canary eyes glimmering with humor. “You’d look really weird if you had your eyes on the side of your head,” she giggled immaturely. Imagining the image in her head just made her giggle even more so.

Callum suddenly shifted her in his arms, holding her close to the patient Tupelo. Realizing it was him answering her question, Teagan looked from her relative to the horse and back again. A glance to the horse, and she saw that one of the herbivore’s ears was flicked back to them, but, otherwise, Tupelo didn’t seem to care what they were doing. Cautiously and gently, Teagan reached out a paw. Not accustomed to the motion that petting required, it took a bit of fidgeting to get her paw to work in a way that allowed her to feel the animal properly with it. The hair was soft, and closely resembled how her mother’s might have felt. As for the fur on the creature, it was very different than what Teagan was used to. It wasn’t like theirs at all. It was short, but it was by no means rough or coarse to the touch. She wasn’t sure what came close to its texture.

She had been preoccupied with trying to figure out what Tupelo’s fur felt like when her uncle offered a suggestion. Instantly, her ears perked up. “Okay! Okay! I promise!” She yipped eagerly, wriggling in his grasp to be put down. “Where should I go?” Her tail was practically beating him in her excitement.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun May 01, 2016 12:37 pm

One more from you is, I thinks, all I need. -- +425

Teagan was quieter than she had been as he made his explanations. She started to speak once, when he had finished, but seemed to discard that question in favor of another, regarding what other important things wolves did within the Courthouse, then why the lower ranked wolves lived within the Courthouse. How did one explain the Mani positions to one so young as Teagan? He thought for a moment, and then replied. There are five ranks that we can hold in what's called the Council. Your father held one, before Alistair made him Lune. Each of those jobs has leadership of different aspects of what goes on. For example, the War Lord helps us train and, if we must go to fight someone, he or she commands us on the field, tells us where to go.

He anticipated there would be further questions about the Mani ranks, but he moved on to the questions regarding living in the Courthouse. Those were slightly easier to explain. There are only a few houses that are available to be lived in. Only wolves above a certain rank are allowed to live in them with their family, because they have earned the right to do so. I haven't gotten there yet, but when I do, I'll fix up a house for me and Aunt Veyra to live in. I was born in Casa, but I left to go be mates with Aunt Vey and when I did, I forfeited -- gave up -- the rank I had earned. I can get it back, I just have to start from scratch.

He nearly dropped Teagan as she squirmed in his grasp, but luckily got her closer to the floor in time, setting her on her paws. He considered for a moment where she should go, and finally settled on just outside the stable. He would be keeping Tupelo within the stable while she was in motion, so as long as Teagan was outside, she should be alright. He moved to where he wanted her, and with one claw, drew an 'X' in the path. Sit right there till I tell you otherwise. Once she was settled, he gathered a halter and lead, fastened them around Tupelo's head, and opened her stall. He led her out, turned her to face her stall, and once she had shaken dust and hair from her coat and gotten all the wiggles out, he called to Tea. Alright. Talk to her as you come this way, but you can come to us now.

Callum Knight
Callum Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Officer (NPC)
Katie

POSTED: Sun May 01, 2016 3:37 pm

(+349)
Alrighty~! :D One rank thread down! Thanks for the thread~<3

Her uncle explained the various roles that the others performed. Still young, some of the things he explained didn’t quite compute, but, she nodded anyways to pretend that she understood. She wanted him to think she was smart and grown up enough to understand such things. She had understood the gist of it all, though, a few details were a little fuzzy. In time, she had surmised, it’d all be understood. The War Lord sounded like someone from one of the story books her parents often read to her at night, and her tail wagged a bit at the connection she’d made.

The housing situation was explained next, and the pup’s mouth formed an “O” to show she had comprehended what was said. Because there were only a few, they had to limit who got what. It was kind of like when Indi and she were fed, there was only so much food, and their parents had to separate how much was given to each. Callum explained why he didn’t live in a house, and Teagan’s head cocked slightly to one side. Even though he had explained why he no longer had one, a new question bubbled from his mention of her Aunt Veyra. “How’d you meet Aunt Veyra if she wasn’t born here too?” She had come up with that much by the context of his explanation.

Once on the ground, her tail wagged eagerly as her uncle showed her where he wanted her to be. She giggled as he made a mark in the dirt, and she placed her rear end upon it as instructed. Behind her, her tail wagged excitedly as her body itched and tingled with energy. Callum took Tupelo out from her stall, and Teagan blinked in awe to see the horse in her entirety. When her relative gave her the okay, the Poco did as she was instructed, trying her best to contain her energy in getting close to the larger beast. She talked in friendly, eager tones, enjoying her first experience with a horse.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

Dead Topics