[M] A pretty picture but the scenery is so loud

POSTED: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:49 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

It's dead, Jim.

It was rare for Quicksilver to venture outside of the Thistle Kingdom, but she decided that she was due for a short break, even if it was only for a couple hours.

She gave the pine forests of the north a wide berth. She knew that, by now, all evidence of the incident would have been gone. But a part of her feared that if she happened upon the scene, she would discover that the earth would still be stained with red, an ugly and permanent reminder of her doing.

The image made her close her eyes for a moment, and she sent a short prayer to the gods under her breath. But she knew that fervent words would not keep the memories away. She already tried once before.

She crossed the Pictou, allowing the river to wash away most of her scent before she rubbed the surrounding environment on her person. The smell of Salsola was soon replaced with that of wildflowers and pine, and whatever small traces remained on her could easily be mistaken for her passing by the territory.

After all, Silvia Alazoneia was an avid traveler.

Quicksilver carried a bag with her, filled with miscellaneous items in case she happened upon an Outsider she could trade with—and, in a way, swindle. With peppy charm and a disarming smile, it could be easy to get more than she would give if she met the right person.

But less than an hour outside of Salsola, she was not greeted by an Outsider. A horrible, loud yowl echoed across the bay, and it made her freeze in shock.

She stood still, but the screaming came closer. Soon the smell of fear-scent permeated, and a fox came thrashing through, yelling and shrieking wordlessly as it twitched and convulsed. It hacked, as if trying to empty its stomach, but nothing came out. It yowled again.

Quicksilver quickly stepped away from the creature with rounded eyes, her hand flying to the dagger that rested on her leg. "W-what?" she barked, the fur on her neck rising, but the fox didn't answer. It only screamed.

The creature flailed itself blindly against a tree with a loud thud, and it fell to the ground, continuing its twitching on the earth as it was unable to find its paws. It seemed to be fighting against something, its sides rising and falling rapidly.

Quietly, the Lykoi girl realized that the fox was dying, and it was a slow, painful death. From what, she was unsure, too disturbed to think straight. Fright and dread filled her. Was this a sign, a foretelling of divine punishment? Her hands gripped the dagger at her side tightly.

But, even out of mercy, Quicksilver could not bring herself to draw the blade to end the fox's life. As she stood watching the beast convulse, she wondered if her inability to kill it was a sin itself. She trembled.

Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Shannah
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:54 pm

(+329)

When she lived in Khalif, Plague had her habits. She talked little, stayed up late, and slept in. Those who tried to change them earned her ire. She never confronted them directly. No, instead, they would meet their own ends. They always did. She liked to believe it was Tak's doing, ever so unforgiving.

That morning, he had gifted a fate before she herself knew it was to be dealt.

Tabby was first to rise, her yowl startling the wolf awake. She heard another yowl, too, but failed to see who it came from as she sat up. Her worn leather bag was strewn across the ground, most of its contents spilled. She furrowed her brows, and lifted her head to the Felidae.

"It went that way, but I do not think it took anything," she said.

She moved groggily towards her back, blinking the sleep out of her eyes. A quick glance revealed much, and wordlessly, she began to move again. This time, in the direction of the culprit, her bag slung across her shoulder.

Perhaps, some would call it the victim now.

She heard it yowl again, whatever it was, and she knew it was the last noise it would make. Plague followed its path of destruction, trampled shrubbery scattered across the earth.

When she reached the end of the path, she had found her culprit. The fox lay convulsing and prostrated. There was someone else there, too. A woman, looking frightened, conflicted.

Plague gave her no explanation as she moved to the creature, barely even acknowledging her presence. Her hands reached and pried at the dying creature's jaw, and her suspicions were confirm. Water hemlock. She pulled a dagger from her bag, a frown on her face.

"You poor thing," she murmured, deadpan. Death was painful, slow, and fatal for those who ingested Cicuta. It was as unforgiving and cruel as her dark god. She did not hesitate to end the beast's life, her strike perfect, and her body unflinching.

Salsola
The Tradesman (NPC)
Marcy
Luperci
BORN IN BLOOD

POSTED: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:30 pm

The fox's energy was beginning to dwindle in front of her, like a candle dimming as it reached its end. The sight was a terribly familiar one. She wanted—needed—to look away, and yet Quicksilver could not.

She kept trying to will herself to kill the thing and move on. It was only a creature, perhaps even lesser than an Outsider, but the way it fought against fate made her sad and shameful. Life was cruel and it wasn't fair and she knew this. But she hesitated.

A dark woman suddenly appeared and Quicksilver gave her a frightened glance, but she ignored her and began touching the fox. She grabbed the beast's maw without fear and looked inside of it, frowning at whatever she saw within it. The motion confused the Lykoi girl, and it only unnerved her more.

When the Outsider pulled the knife, the silver coywolf took a shaky step forward, one hand reached out towards them and the other curled towards her chest. "No, don't—" Her voice was a soft but high whisper, spoken as if in the haze of a dream where one moved too slowly to stop the inevitable.

Whether ignored or unheard, the woman ended the fox's life without a sign of remorse.

Quicksilver stopped her approach and withdrew her hand to curl it against her body. When she saw the blood, her ashen-gray eyes flickered to the ground and her ears pressed against her dark locks. "You killed it," she said plainly, her voice a mixture of emotions that were difficult to pick out. In some way, it sounded like an accusation.

Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Shannah
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:53 pm

(+225)

Blood dashed her cheek, and she wiped at it as she returned the dagger to her bag. It was a waste of a life. Had the creature eaten any other poison, the wolf could have made use of it. The days until Can de Lach were few. It was only a few days before Tak's power would be at its greatest. In the Mountain, wolves would burn. She was not in Khalif anymore, however. She would make do with what she could get, lives included.

"I will find you another," she said plainly. It was a promise.

Noise drew the attention of her ears. Words. Plague turned her head, seeing the silver woman before her. Her face was plastered with what looked like grief. She stood, fallen leaves and twigs sticking to the knees of her dress.

"I did," she replied, "It was a mercy."

Who was she? The D'Angelo tried to smell her, but all she could sense was the fox's blood, wildflowers, and pine. There was something else too, though unfamiliar to her.

It was no matter. She needed to return to Tabby and her horse, and continue looking for her sister. She had no time for those seemingly unfamiliar with death. It had surrounded her from the day she was born, threatening to pull her away from the earth.

Salsola
The Tradesman (NPC)
Marcy
Luperci
BORN IN BLOOD

POSTED: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 am

Blood spotted the woman's face and Quicksilver watched as she cleaned herself and put away the dagger. The absence of the weapon put the girl at a bit more ease, but the sudden death of the creature kept her on edge and she waited for the Outsider to respond to her.

Except she spoke to someone else at first. The Family member took a quick glance around the area and sniffed, but aside from the fresh smell of blood than made her stomach turn, there was nothing else that spoke of another presence. Was she talking to her?

Again, Quicksilver spoke quietly. "I… I don't…" Was she going to kill another fox? The thought unnerved her more.

But a sign of recognition seemed to register on the woman's face, and sharp green eyes turned to look at her. Her voice was as calm as her appearance and she stated that it was a mercy.

Quicksilver did not want to accept this. She knew this to be the truth, but she felt guilt for being unable to deliver the blow herself, to end the fox's pain earlier. Selfishly, to stop the shame, she wished for the horrible truth to be a lie. But it wasn't, and she exhaled shakily.

Instead, the Lykoi woman tried to wipe away any signs of distress to replace her expression with a look of confusion yet curiosity. "You… looked into its mouth before you killed it. Why did you do that?"

Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Shannah
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:31 am

(+161)

Her face was calm, though truly it was apathetic. She was used to death. It failed to unnerve her anymore, and it was rare when it did. Plague accepted it. When it came for her, she wouldn't fight it. That was for another time, though.

Her eyes narrowed slightly at the silver woman's question. At first, she thought she knew the fox was poisoned, and that she let it suffer while she stood there. But the look of fright before that, and the look of confusion and curiosity now told her a different story. Plague's face smoothed, and she moved to pick a piece of Water Hemlock from her bag. Few of it remained now after being spilled earlier, but she would manage. The wolf extended her hand out towards the other woman, a clipping of the white-flowered plant lying in her palm.

"I thought it ate Water Hemlock from my bag," she said, "and it did."

Salsola
The Tradesman (NPC)
Marcy
Luperci
BORN IN BLOOD

POSTED: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:46 am

The woman narrowed her eyes at her, and Quicksilver's ears pressed against her head again. The whole situation was unnerving, and for a moment the girl wondered if the woman would snap at her.

But the Outsider did not move away from her calm and cold exterior, and began rummaging in her bag to bring out a white-flowered plant. She supposed it was pretty, though unrelated to what she had asked, but she realized this assumption to be misplaced as the other explained.

"Hemlock?" she echoed, and she looked back down at the plant. "So, it ate this and… that happened?" The convulsions and twitching the fox had displayed were still fresh in her mind.

So the fox had ate something poisonous. Instantly, there was a change in mood in the silver girl.

As if subdued by the explanation, a smile began to blossom on Quicksilver's face. A smooth, crafted, believable smile. "My name is Silvia," she began, and she tilted her head to the side, lifting her ears to perk towards the stranger. "Do you usually carry poisonous stuff with you?"

Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Shannah
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:12 am

(+169)

The silver woman asked many questions. It was more questions than she had ever been asked in succession. It irritated her slightly, overwhelmed by the sudden attention. Her ears folded back, and she returned the hemlock to her bag. She would have to grow more, eventually, she thought.

She glanced at the fox's corpse briefly, wondering what she would do with it. The meat was no use, likely tainted by the toxin. She supposed it could be skinned, though the idea made her slightly uneasy.

The woman introduced herself as Silvia, and Plague balked slightly at her shift in demeanor. Was this the same frightened canine from before? She shifted, pausing before she answered.

"Yes, I do," her voice was still flat, but now with a new edge to it. She questioned why Silvia even cared that she cared poison on her. The D'Angelo's head turned in the direction she came from, wishing to leave. She disliked speaking with strangers. Too much of them was unpredictable.

Salsola
The Tradesman (NPC)
Marcy
Luperci
BORN IN BLOOD

POSTED: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Quicksilver was able to catch that the woman seemed unnerved by her sudden barrage of questions. For some reason, it reminded her of something, or rather, someone—who it was, she could not recall. The thought was fleeting and she could not grasp it to have it realized.

The woman answered her flatly, and her suspicion was obvious. This made the Lykoi consider herself with more thought. An Outsider she may be, but she needed to be careful regardless.

"I was just wondering," she said in justification, as if slightly upset at the edgy tone that other had given her. "I'm not familiar with poisons… It makes me quite nervous, truthfully." At this, her ears pressed against her dark locks, and her ashen-gray eyes sought to look into the other's green ones. They were wide and open, as if naïve and seeking answers.

Quicksilver was truly like that, once upon a time. Not anymore. But Silvia was.

"Could you perhaps show me more of your stores? I don't want to hurt myself—or others! That would be terrible… I don't want a repeat of that." She gave a glance towards the fox's corpse.

Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Shannah
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Tabby is speaking in German. (+145)

Plague showed no recognition for the hint of remorse Silvia's voice carried. She turned her head to the other as she spoke, crossing her arms. "Does she expect me to care..." she thought, silent and staring. Her eyes flicked to the edge of her vision as the bushes shifted. They parted, and through them stepped Tabby.

<"There you are."> The feline's speech was uninhibited in her native tongue.

Plague gave her the barest of recognition, her attention focused on the silver woman. She couldn't turn her back on her, suspecting the worst. This went by smoothly for Tabby, who slunk up to the priestess' feet, calmed at the discovery of the D'Angelo.

Golden-green eyes squinted, untrusting of Silvia's request.

"Why should I?" her words were cold, seemingly uncaring. A question of "What's in it for me?" went unasked.

Salsola
The Tradesman (NPC)
Marcy
Luperci
BORN IN BLOOD

Dead Topics