Idle hands make the devil's work

Thread prompt: Prepare the barn or stable for winter

POSTED: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Sing it when you're lost at sea, And love will bring you back to me

To say that Ciara didn’t have much to do with livestock would be an understatement. The Magnate had all but avoided the caribou and other animals, including horses, to the best of her ability ever since her lesson with Milos way back when she’d first come to Krokar. Since then, feeling like she had no idea what she was doing and that the animals didn’t appreciate her predatory gaze (like they could sense she was thinking about eating them) she’d kept her distance, but more and more she’d begun to felt as if her inactivity in the area might be hurting the pack rather than helping it. She decided that morning, having an odd burst of energy which was both welcome and worrying since energy bursts in pregnancy could mean the pups were soon to arrive, that she’d go down to the stables and see if there was anything she could do to help.

When she arrived there didn’t appear to be any huge work that needed to be done, but the Magnate refused to be useless. She picked up a broom and began to sweep out an empty and dusty stall and the main walkway in between the stalls, humming to herself. Once that was finished she got a damp cloth and started wiping off the tack, keeping a wary eye on the horse nearest to her while she did. The stallion was watching her and stomping one hoof, but she did her best not to overthink it. A good deal of the tack needed to be cleaned and there were little repairs (broken clasps and the like) which she could fix, so that was what she busied herself with, occasionally stopping to wince as the pups inside her stomach moved and shifted, and then getting back to work. The Celtic tune she was humming was something she’d picked up from Aindrea and, with no one else around, she hummed as loudly as she liked.

(312) OOC:
Avvy by the lovely Nat!

Candace
Luperci
mystic as the sea

POSTED: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 pm

OOC: :] It's been too long since we've had a thread with these two <3 Quick note: all communal horses are kept out on the pasture unless injured or if the weather is bad :) I just made up something quick to explain Diablo's presence but let me know if not okay and I shall be happy to edit!

An unfamiliar tune swept across the late autumn air and tickled his ears. Milos slowed his pace, inquisitive, and listened to the melody. A series of names ran through his head, each one discarded with increasing difficulty as he worked to guess who the musician was: Vidar and Gavin; Iroquois; Taseko and Hazel and Semini. Eliza. A smile tugged playfully on his lips and he resumed his pace, eyes narrowed curiously at the stables. His heart kicked up its beat as he neared the old building. It th-thump-th-thump-th-thumped in his chest and roared in his ears. By the time he slipped through the large doorway, the pounding of his heart had nearly drowned out the whimsical tune and that drawn him in.

"Ciara?" Eyes bright and maw agape, Milos stood. He was equal parts disappointed and pleasantly surprised. She might not have been the last person on his list but she certainly hadn't made in into his top ten. He smiled at her, sunny eyes setting on her rotund belly.

The smile faded and concern replaced the cheer. He met her golden gaze again. "All right there?" Her mateship to Aindrea had been a ceremony of much happiness, but the revelation of their pregnancy was pure elation. "I mean, en't overdoin' it?"

Despite the nature of his past, pregnancy was not something he was experienced with. At least, not in Luperci. They had been the youngest slaves in the plantation, he and Chaska and Sen. Milos glanced at Diablo, sequestered to the stables on account of a minor soft-tissue lameness. The dark stallion was restless and the Drover couldn't blame him; he knew only too well the feeling. It would be just another day or two, Pepper had anticipated, and he could be turned back out to his own lonely paddock.

He gave a short, ironic laugh and locked eyes again with Ciara, his characteristic smile back. "Mind if I help ya at least?"

[WC: 324]

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Ciara enjoyed the moment of work away from her usual tasks, letting her take her mind off the nervousness she had in the face of her children’s upcoming birth. The three little ones growing inside her were more restless every day and she would often worry herself into a panic that something would go wrong. When Conan, Athena and Grizzer had been born it’d only been a short time after that that they’d lost Augustus, and the sunny Magnate wasn’t sure she could go through that a second time, if something happened to Aindrea. Then there was the fact she’d opted to stay in Optime form this time, as the first time she’d been in the common lupus form found in New Dawn.

But now, now all that was in her mind was the song and the tack she was working on – that is until Milos appeared and called to her. She looked up and smiled at him just in time to see his pleasant visage turn concerned, causing her to look down at her rounded belly. Aindrea hadn’t been too over protective with her, surprisingly enough it had been Grizzer that’d become unbearable, hardly letting her do any of her regular tasks in peace. “I’m alright, Milos,” she told him, trying to sound gentle and not aggravated. It wasn’t with him that she was frustrated, it was with her condition. While she loved being pregnant she was also fiercely independent, and a warrior, and the delicacy of her condition put a hamper on all of the things that made Ciara, Ciara.

“It’s just if I try to lift heavy things, do anything that has me crawling around or over exert myself,” she explained to him, sensing he hadn’t been around pregnancy very much. “I swept the floor a little but I didn’t go overboard. I just want to help, somehow, especially since I don’t know anything about the horses,” she said, glancing to Diablo. “And especially since they don’t seem to like me,” she murmured. He smiled to her again and asked if he could help, and she smiled. That, she could let him do, so long as he didn’t march her back home to her cabin and get her in trouble with her son. Funny how life changes isn’t it? There was once a time where she was scolding Grizzer for the things he’d get up to, and now he’d turned the tables on her.

“Sure you can help. I was just getting ready to move this uh…tack…over to that empty shelving unit, figured it could be more organized,” she said, smiling. The tack was heavy and even Aindrea wouldn’t have been pleased if she’d tried to lift it on her own, but the Magnate was also a proud woman. She likely wouldn’t have asked for help had Milos not shown up. The pups were due any day now, and the exertion she’d have attempted to put herself through might very well have caused them to come early.

(500) OOC: It definitely has been too long! I'm fine with what you made up. Sorry for not checking on that. :(
Avvy by the lovely Nat!

Candace
Luperci
mystic as the sea

POSTED: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:07 am

OOC: oh, it's totally okay! no worries at all <3

He considered her response doubtfully, his dark mouth twisting as he argued silently with himself. Was she just saying that to placate him? He bit the inside of his cheek and thought of Aindrea's rage should something happen to Ciara if he continued to allow her to clean the tack and sweep the floors. She offered more of an explanation, maybe having sensed his hesitation or inexperience, and the dark Drover flicked his bright eyes upwards to her face.

They locked eyes and he held her gaze for a while longer before finally nodding, deciding it would do no good anyway to argue with her. Ciara was a tough woman, strong-willed and active; he wasn't sure he could win even if he tried.

He followed her golden glance, studying the restless stallion with a knowing smile quirking his lips. "Heck, that one don't even like me," he admitted with a chuckle. Diablo was a fiery and wily beast, powerful and unpredictable. Those with more confidence could handle him better, though Milos often managed to hold his own against the stallion. "Reckon with a few treats an' time, th' other horses'd come 'round. If ya ever wanna learn anythin' 'bout 'em, ya just seek me out." He offered her a wink before sweeping sunshine across the length of the stables.

Aside from Diablo's stall, the enclosure was devoid of livestock and relatively kempt, though it was dusty and stray strands of straw could be found in almost every nook and cranny of the place. He was glad when she agreed to allow him to help and stepped nearer, observing the newly cleaned tack. "Sounds like a plan," he chirped, taking a heavy leather saddle in his dark arms. He stepped around her, careful of where he was going, and set it down on an empty shelf.

He continued their conversation as he moved the tack. "So, when're ya due? Gotta say, it'll be nice t' see some young'uns rompin' about," he said with a smile, lifting a bridle into his hands. "Reckon Athena'n th' boys're excited? An' Aindrea's kids?" He hadn't thought about it before but by merging their two families and adding a new litter, Ciara and Aindrea were going to have a full house!

[WC: 375]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:21 am

She could see Milos considering what she’d said and it was almost comical, or would have been had she not known he was being protective with the best intentions. It amused her when males got protective over pregnant females, though it was the females themselves who understood their limits and what they could and couldn’t get away with. Her eyes were unwavering as he looked at her for a last time and then nodded, seeming to give in to what she’d said she was capable of.

“Oh so it’s not just me? That’s good then…” the Magnate said, grinning at him. Ciara wasn’t great with horses and caribou, even though she wanted to be better with them. “Still I need to work on things with the animals. I think most of them still think I want to eat them,” she murmured, running a hand through her hair. He mentioned treats and time and she nodded, though she had questions. “What treats do they like? I’d love to learn, if you wouldn’t mind teaching me…” There was a new goal for her and someone to help her, something that had her smiling. Once she’d risen through the ranks and had brought up the new pups, there would still be things for her to do.

“Oh, I’m due almost any day now,” she answered him, giving a warm smile. “I can’t wait to meet them…something tells me there’ll be a few girls at least, maybe one boy,” she said, grinning. “They’re moving around all the time now – would you like to feel?” she asked, holding one hand over her rounded stomach and the other out to take his hand and lead it there, if he wanted to see. It was a peculiar experience and not one most men got to feel. “The older kids are over the moon, even Grizzer surprisingly…and Aindrea of course, he can’t stop talking about it,” she said, laughing.

(312) OOC:
Avvy by the lovely Nat!

Candace
Luperci
mystic as the sea

POSTED: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:05 pm

He laughed, a clipped burst of mirth, and shook his head at Ciara. "Nah, en't just ya." For all his knowledge of and experience with horses, Diablo always managed to test him. As though knowing they were talking about him, the ebony stallion gave a sharp snort and tossed his head disdainfully, drawing Milos' bright eyes to his stall. Regardless of his quirks, the horse was a handsome and powerful specimen; worthy of his status in the pack.

Milos flicked flames back upon the pregnant Magnate, cheer in his eyes. "En't th' only one," he laughed, thinking of Beatrice. The cycloptic Greenhorn was notoriously poor with the livestock, though she frequently gave it a valiant try. He appreciated the drive Bee had, and considered her with fondness for a moment before answering Ciara's questions. "Apples're always a safe bet." It couldn't be said why, but sweets seemed to especially entice horses. "That's what I prefer t' use, anyway. Maybe once them pups're old 'nough, I can teach th' lot o' ya." He smiled, glancing upwards into her golden eyes from the swell of her abdomen.

The thick leather beneath his fingers was smooth and warm. He rubbed it absently between thumb and forefinger as Ciara answered his questions, his attention focused on her golden face. Parenthood had scarcely crossed his mind, though he considered what it must be like to have progeny to care for. They were the future, after all; the bearers of genes worthy to carry the name of those before them. Milos smiled at her, his heart warm with her glowing happiness.

Practiced enough to know better, he held the cheer despite the anxiety in his heart when she asked if he wanted to feel. "Ah," he uttered, hesitant. Kinda like a handshake, he assured himself, glancing at her outstretched hand as he brought ivory fingers up to accept her invitation. Beneath the warmth of his fingers and the taut skin of Ciara's bulging abdomen, soft activity bumped against his hand. Awe drew down his face. "That's 'em movin'?" he asked, disbelieving, meeting her eyes. His heart swelled and he grinned. "Amazin'..." he uttered softly, pulling his hand away again. "They always so active?"

[WC: 367]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Milos seemed intent to help Ciara solve her equine problems and the Magnate was grateful for it, grinning when he told her she wasn’t the only one. “Well, that’s a relief,” she quipped, listening when he mentioned the apples and nodding, storing that information away for later. “Apples are also perfect for teething pups, believe it or not,” she said, laughing softly. “I gave them to my terrible trio when they started, and they like to chew on ‘em because of the sweetness and just the texture feels good on their gums,” she said, nodding when he offered to teach the whole brood once the pups were old enough. “I’m gonna hold you to that, Milos,” she teased, glancing to Diablo and squinting at the seemingly irritated horse.

He accepted the invitation to feel her stomach, and it was refreshing to see someone hesitant for once. She was having to deal with her kids, Aindrea’s kids, Pepper, Catriona, all kinds of wolves running after her wanting to feel the pups kicking. It seemed to amaze everyone and even Milos fell under the spell of it, his eyes going wide and making her laugh softly. “That’s really them moving,” she said, grinning and smoothing a hand over the side of her stomach so he could keep his hand there. “They’re quite active for a little while, then they seem to get sleepy, then they get active again,” she said. “Sometimes they move in weird ways and kick me in the ribs while I’m trying to sleep, so that’s not great,” she muttered, then looked down at her belly and smiled softly.

“I’m thinking there are three…but I’m not sure what they are yet, boys or girls,” she said.

(288) OOC:
Avvy by the lovely Nat!

Candace
Luperci
mystic as the sea

POSTED: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:25 am

"That so?" he asked, ebony lips flipping downwards with thoughtful surprise. But Ciara's explanation made sense and Milos bobbed his dark head agreeably. "En't never thought o' that m'self." Because he had never had to, he reminded himself quickly. Carefully, he wondered whether apples had been something he had munched on as a teething babe but the thought fizzled as quickly as it had begun. He was a spring puppy; apples were merely an idea by the time he'd begun to grow teeth.

He filed the knowledge away at the back of his mind all the same, ivory teeth peeking from between his mouth with her jest. "Wouldn't expect nothin' less," he replied cheerfully, offering the golden Magnate another characteristic wink.

Milos pulled slowly away from Ciara's swollen abdomen, his splayed ivory fingers relaxing and then collapsing upon one another as he denied them her solid surface to rest upon. He met her mirth with a quirk of his maw, his eyes remaining wide with magic. There was no divining the notion of pregnancy. That new life began so modestly... Milos shook his head slowly, side to side, his smirk broadening. "En't never b'lieved in a higher power," he began, meeting the woman's golden gaze. "But I reckon you're somethin' of a goddess."

A short laugh followed his words, the sunset of his eyes burning brightly with admiration. He thought of his own mother suddenly, aging and subservient, and how little he had known of her -- and how little she had known of him -- until so much later in life. Despite the nature of their separation, his mother had remained desperately devoted to him; she loved him with ever fiber of her being.

The Drover lifted another solid saddle into his arms and beamed at Ciara. "Three, ya think?" he confirmed. "Ya know them pups're gonna be doted on. Downright spoiled, even." He laughed and stepped around the wolf towards the shelving she requested he organize the tack. "Got any names picked out?"

[WC: 333]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Ciara rubbed over her belly once Milos pulled his hand away, feeling the pups moving around as active as always. It was a comforting sign, a sign that they were healthy and would grow strong – but first that they’d survive the birth. There was sometimes a case of pups not surviving, and therein endangering the mother’s life, but Ciara was confident it would all be smooth and fine. She had to believe that – there was always that edge of fear in her mind, having experienced the trauma of losing her mate so soon after her first litter was born. Things seemed almost too perfect this time, but she was doing her very best not to dwell on it.

“A goddess! Gods I don’t know if I’d go that far,” she teased him, giving him a grin and resting her elbow on a post to rest against it. It seemed the activity of the growing pups inside her was starting to wear her down and she was feeling the need for a nap – though a quick glance around told her their work wasn’t completely finished. Milos would probably understand if she had to duck out early. “I’m thinkin’ that, yeah,” she said, and laughed again when he said they’d be spoiled. “By me? Pff, I’m a tough love kind of mom,” she lied, blatantly, while grinning. “Anny will certainly spoil them to death.” He asked about names, then, and a fond smile came across Ciara’s features. “We’re researching names from the Isles, where our families are from.”

(288) OOC:
Avvy by the lovely Nat!

Candace
Luperci
mystic as the sea

POSTED: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:07 pm

With a whumph!, Milos set the heavy saddle down upon its knew home and pushed it back and away from the edge of the shelf. He turned his head to look at Ciara. She seemed tired all of a sudden, resting against the post with one hand splayed across the swelling of her belly. This was no place for a pregnant woman on the verge of childbirth. His earlier concerns circled back around within his mind and faced him once more.

Slapping the palms of his hands together, the Drover turned away from the saddle and stepped nearer the golden Magnate. "Yeah, sure," he laughed, the corners of his smile lighting up his sunny eyes. "Him'n th' whole o' Krokar, most like." Lately, the prospect of a litter of new Guppies was all Hazel seemed capable of talking about and even Sorcha was brighter than usual. For his part, Milos wanted them to know only love and joy and freedom.

"Fair enough," he said, giving her a nod. In truth, these Isles where the couple's ancestors hailed from meant little to Milos and he had no idea of the types of names that might originate from them, but he liked the idea of remembering one's heritage in such a way. "Can't wait t' hear 'em."

He paused, looking Ciara over again with poorly concealed concern. "Sure ya wanna keep at this?" he asked, a sympathetic smile on his dark face. "Reckon I can take care o' th' rest on m' own. Looks t' me ya could use a rest."

[WC: 259]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics