The arc light on the hillside and the market in the hay

POSTED: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Setting out from Anguille Lake to the Sugar Glass Caverns.

The grey-brown wolf lay in wait at the edge of the water, his small ears pricked and his eyes wide with focus as the wind changed. The musky scent of an old elk carried across the water; the wind stirred the surface of the lake, making the small waves sparkle. Crouched among the tawny bracken and berry bushes in their autumn foliage, Pascal licked his lips and watched as the old bull waded into the shallows and lowered his tattered rack to drink.

The Margrave waited a few heartbeats then slunk quietly along the water's edge, his claws digging into the muddy bank. When he was close enough, he growled and leaped out.

The elk, already on edge with its head lowered to the water, spooked and pivoted sharply. Mud and grass flew behind it as it ran, and Pascal let out another guttural growl as he gave pursuit. His eyes were wild despite their tame color, and hungry.

He chased the elk into the woods, familiar as they rustled past, and down a slope that led toward the caverns. His sides heaved with breath, his tongue lolling as he gasped, and he chased it down into the low, dry gully.

Old as it was, the elk made a last lunge and scrambled up the other side of the valley, hooves scrabbling on stone. Pascal made a leap at the steep hill, then yelped as his leg crumpled beneath him. He staggered and rolled back into the gully, gasping, then once he found his feet began to shake and growl again with uncharacteristically dark frustration.

Last edited by Pascal Sadira on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:30 am

Hi! :D
---
A small coywolf trotted along the forest floor near Sugar Glass caverns, his claws sinking quietly into the red and orange leaves that blanketed it. His pink tongue lolled as he lifted his snout to the sky, nostrils flaring to catch the rich scents laden heavily on the breeze: water, both from the ocean and the lake; that gentle fragrance of autumn, of nature turning from summer green to winter; and, more importantly, prey. Maciel shook off the gritty dirt caking his paws, and wondered if he ought to interrupt his hike to go hunt something. After all, his stomach was beginning to rumble; he had barely eaten for the entire day.

It seemed that God wanted to choose for him. As he began to approach the entrance of yet another ravine, a sharp yelp reached his ears, and suddenly Maciel stiffened, pricking his ears to listen. There was the loud scrabbling of hooves. The stench of an old elk. A hunt!, he realised. With barely a second thought, the Viceroy let out a yowl and rushed forward, just in time to meet the elk as it cleared the edge of the gully.

At the coywolf's sudden appearance, the elk bellowed in surprise and stumbled backwards, one of its hooves slipping over the edge of the gully. It slid for a moment, almost losing its balance, before it swung its massive head out at its new attacker. Maciel ducked the massive antlers just in time, his breath hissing through gritted fangs. There was no way he could take on the elk by himself. Then in the corner of his eye, he spotted a dark figure waiting down in the ravine. Maybe...

Yes. If he panicked the elk enough, he might be able to drive it back towards the canine still in the gully. The hunt might not be lost!

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 am

hope dis ok i am mean

His flanks heaved with breath, and his tousled coat prickled with anger. Pascal was startled by the depth of his frustration, but not quite as startled as when the elk bellowed and tufts of grass and rock tumbled down into the valley. Blue and green eyes stared upward to see the animal barely regain its footing, swinging its antlers in an arc dodged by a ginger wolf Pascal recognized: Maciel! Another hunter had come to help!

Pascal barked and charged at the slope, his eyes narrow and teeth bared, but the clawhold he managed to get was weak—weak as his long-suffering muscles. A month and a half had helped Pascal fill out again, no longer leaning so precariously at the edge of malnutrition, but eventually he'd needed to fulfill his duties again—and now he found himself too weak to leap out of the gully. His legs trembled and his paws slipped, and he yelped again.

Even if the bull plunged into the trough of soft grass with him, Pascal wasn't sure if he could kill it.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:55 am

Aww... Pascal. </3

Sorry that it took me so long to reply! Not too sure where it's going to go on from here, but I'm all for freeform. xD
---
The antlers came at Maciel again, and once more he ducked them. His heart was racing in his chest, but for the first time today he felt so truly, electrifyingly alive. Distantly, he heard a sharp yelp from the wolf below - was that Pascal? - but it escaped his mind as soon as the elk made another move to charge him. Suddenly, Maciel's heart stopped. A terrified snarl escaped his throat. The antlers had bent down to strike him. The elk's nose was within reach. Maciel raised one paw and sunk his claws deep into the beast's velvet muzzle.

Immediately, the buck roared and reared upward, its hooves lashing out. Maciel yowled in surprise. His gaze flicked toward his pack mate. Then it lingered. Yes, it was Pascal. And he had been trying to get up the ravine slope. But as the Margrave struggled on, Maciel saw his legs tremble and his body shake with the effort. Why? It was not a difficult climb. The Viceroy stared in bewilderment. He had not heard about Pascal had been through; he could not understand his pack mate's weakness.

A gigantic force glanced off the Viceroy's shoulder. Maciel's legs buckled and his breath was knocked out of him, leaving only enough for a final yelp. Gasping uselessly, soundlessly, he staggered away from the enraged elk's hooves, but when it came down onto four legs again it snorted and nodded its head up and down, thrusting its huge antlers toward Maciel as if trying to tear him apart. In a panic, Maciel rolled out of reach of the last blow. The elk's antlers dug tracks into the soil...

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:09 am

You're okay!! <3 I've been extremely busy lately anyway -- only replying to this right away because I'm catching up by character atm. xD (And I had kind of an idea so again, I hope dis okay -- elk escaping b/c not every hunt can go successfully haha. SO PAS CAN FEEL WORSE I'M SO MEAN)

Pressure built in his chest, either his racing heart or heaving lungs, and Pascal winced as his claws scraped painfully down the slope. Months ago, when he was still hale, he could climb out of the cavern valley with a few bounds -- but now his atrophied muscles screamed in agony and the panic seemed to burst in his skull when he heard Maciel's yelp.

He barked, wordlessly, almost a gasp, then suddenly jerked the other direction and sought a less steep path out of the gully. The snort and high cries of the bull and the yelps and yowls of Maciel roared in his ears as he stumbled more than ran, at last finding an incline he could manage. Limping, whimpering from the exertion of running -- too slow! -- he leaped toward the animal as it swung its head desperately toward the ginger wolf.

Pascal lunged but stumbled, forelegs collapsing, but the elk took advantage of Maciel's hesitation and, whites of its eyes flashing, bony sides heaving under its shaggy coat, leaped over him. No longer cornered, it turned and ran.

Exhausted, filled with shame, Pascal crouched and pinned his ears and squeezed his eyes shut, uttering a high keening whine.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:39 am

the pascal feels are strong
--
Maciel glimpsed Pascal in the corner of his eye - his savior! - and saw him leap forward. For a second, the coywolf felt his spirits lift. But then, suddenly, his pack mate tripped over, and his claws easily missed their mark. The bull raised its front hooves again. The Viceroy froze and closed his eyes. For a precious moment, his world went dark. His nose was filled with the stench of elk.

And then he heard the thump of hooves on the other side of him. Maciel startled. Immediately, he looked over his shoulder toward the elk, which was galloping away. Blood roared in his ears and gasps ripped at his throat, but he forced his heartbeat to steady - the hunt was lost, after all. Their quarry had escaped.

His last few, desperate breaths managed to fill his lungs. His chest heaved one more time; his breathing slowed. Then, from somewhere near him, Maciel heard a long, high whine. In an instant, he turned his head toward it, and to his horror saw Pascal crouching there, his expression the image of pain: tense, with his ears flat against his skull and his eyes squeezed shut. Maciel could not distinguish the Margrave's emotion as being either emotional or physical, but he assumed it to be the physical. After all, if Pascal had been injured, that would explain why he had displayed such weakness during the hunt.

A storm of emotions rose up in Maciel. This was the first time he had seen the Prince since his disappearance. For a long time, the huntsman had assumed that Pascal had been captured by the Infernians (and that he was the one responsible for failing to track him down and, by extension, save him). So, with the adrenaline of the hunt receding, he was filled with relief and a perfect, overwhelming happiness. At the same time, however, there was horror.

"P-Pascal! Pascal!" Maciel called, still somewhat out of breath. He staggered clumsily toward his pack mate, his eyes wide and his shoulder screaming with every step. "Are you alright? W-were you hurt?"

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:16 pm

148 words I'm so sloowwww

Flickers of light flashed in the darkness of his eyelids, and the pain in his claws and tendons burnt through his limbs into his heart. For a moment, Pascal almost disappeared in the pain, but tightly pinned as his ears were, loud as his whine was, he still heard Maciel's voice. The gasps between words and the high, shocked stammering drew his eyes open, where dilated pupils flashed quickly to the hobbling wolf.

I'm... I'm sorry, Pascal whimpered, fighting to sit upright. He hung his head. I'm not... He'd never gotten hurt, he wanted to say, but he couldn't put it into words. He'd never been hurt, but he'd wasted away for so many weeks he wasn't the same wolf anymore. I'm sorry. You... Maciel had been the one to get hurt, to suffer from Pascal's inabilities.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:19 am

Word Count → XXX :: Np! :D And yay for text tables!

Maciel's orange ears flattened in concern as he stood in front of Pascal; his wide, dark eyes scanned the other's brown fur for scarlet, but, to his relief, he found only dirt from the slope streaked through it. 'He's here...' a voice in his head was saying excitedly, 'He's actually back!' And, despite his happiness, it was like... seeing a ghost.

An image of looming, grey trees flashed out in front of him; on the ground, the Prince's scent was a fading, neon rivulet, pooling and draining like diluted blood into the soil. He had run around in circles, trying to find a lead. Nothing. There was only Inferni's stench, covering everything like smoke. Then a tentative voice reached him - Calanthia, asking him if now was the time to go back. They had gone back. But, for a brief moment, there had been candle-scent in the air, gone as quick as it had come. Had it really been imagined? If they had followed it—

Pascal's stuttering apologies made Maciel flinch. The stammered words were painfully reminiscent of the Viceroy's own, now carefully suppressed personality: guilt and doubt pervading every thought; even his smallest movements careful and uncertain. He would never wish such insecurity upon any other Courtier.

"It's okay," the Huntsman yipped, "You're... okay, right? That's all that matters, right?" Slowly, his tail began to sway. "It's not your fault. Really. Besides, we all lose the hunt sometimes, but there will always be more elk out there. It doesn't matter. At all. I mean," Maciel finally broke out into a massive grin, and wagged his tail wildly. Although his eyes still did not meet the other's, he was so delighted that, if he had been Luperci, he would have dived in for a hug. "You're back! Welcome back! We missed you,"

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:04 pm

WC: 257
Would you like to maybe have this one wrap up and have another thread soon? Hopefully one more light-hearted? xD

Maciel's reassuring yip broke through his thoughts before they became a stammering loop, and Pascal ducked his head, still burdened by guilt and shame. He tried to ignore the soreness and the tightness in his chest, then rocked his body slowly back and forth, his small ears flicked up to catch the Viceroy's exuberant words. His exclamation made Pas whine with relief and guilt both, and his body continued to rock to and fro while his mismatched eyes sought Maciel's smiling mouth, no more able to meet the other's eyes than the non-Luperci.

"I... I missed you too," the Margrave said. His flat voice began to regain a little of its strength as he took a breath and spoke on. "I missed all of you so much."

He could hear himself whimpering, but his tail uncertainly snaked back and forth over the earth until it began to wag. He pinned his ears and stared fondly at Maciel's ginger coat, ruffled though it was from the hunt. Though he'd missed his father most of all, the feral hunter had a place in Pascal's heart that he'd once thought he'd find empty. Maciel, Linden, even Skoll -- they were all here, and it was okay.

He sighed and stared at his paws again, shyly. "Are you sure you aren't hurt?" He became aware of his rocking and dug his claws into the dirt, consciously stilling himself. "I'm still not -- not strong enough to hunt, I don't think."
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:18 am

Word Count → XXX :: Hey, Raze! As much as I'd really love another thread (you're my favourite person to RP with <3 ), I was actually thinking about taking a break from 'Souls for the time being? :( ... as you'd probably guessed from my crazy twenty-day-long absence. xD So yeah, this might be my last post on the thread. Hopefully I'll be back soon though. Thanks so much for the thread!

At Pascal's words, Maciel almost took another gleeful step forward; if it was possible, his tail wagged even more fiercely. But his pack mate's shy behaviour was contagious, especially for someone with so similar a personality. At the other's sigh, the Viceroy immediately became self-conscious. He dipped his head again, abashed and somewhat personally alarmed by his own buoyant mood. Still, though, he could not remove the happy smile from his face, or the jubilant swing from his tail.

"I'm absolutely sure," the coywolf replied, cheerfully, when Pascal worried about his health. "Completely, absolutely sure,"

Then Pascal finally mentioned his own lack of strength. It was the conversation Maciel thought he had been dreading; instead, his gladness held, unabated. He thought for only a second, before saying: "It's alright... that's alright. Maybe you just need more time to heal...? I can give you some herbs for pain, if you want. And we could hunt together, maybe... although perhaps we should stay from elk for the time being," At the last point he laughed good-naturedly. "Everything's going to be fine."

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

Dead Topics