Even unable, I'll still try

Sylvie

POSTED: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:22 am

TEAGAN STRYDER
If your wings are broken, please take mine
Lupus | Backdated: Dec 11 | Fort Kingsbury
This is where you would write something out of character.
WORD COUNT

Her eyes were sharp as she paced the village. There was only one she sought that day, and she hoped the Brotherhood female hadn’t left Fort Kingsbury without her realizing. It was mid-day, but the sun remained hidden behind the grey clouds. It set the mood for a calm winter’s day, one that caused laziness and idle work.

Her parents had left to perform their pack duties earlier that morn, each returning every so often to check up on the two troublemakers. Indi had busied herself with some matter or another earlier that morning, and, so, the cream-coated Stryder had been left on her own for entertainment. It had been when her curiosities led her to happen upon her mother’s bow that an idea struck the young Stryder’s mind.

In truth, the child felt like her decision was one of betrayal. She wondered what her mother might think of her, if she would approve of her decision or if she would be hurt from it. If she thought about it logically, Teagan could rationalize it. Still, the feeling ate away at her even as she searched. In the end, she hoped her fair-colored mother would understand, and that Teagan did not mean it personally.

Aside from the fact that she was actively seeking out a stranger, the true dilemma of situation was that she had only seen the woman a handful of times in passing, one of which had been for a big ceremony involving her at its centerpiece. Never though, had the child thought about committing the adult’s scent to memory. So, Teagan had been left blindly wandering from place to place around the village in a vain hope that the scarred coyote would just magically appear before her.

The longer she searched, the more frustrated the Poco became. Surely the copper-haired adult hadn’t already left the fort? If so, Teagan’s hopes would be lost to another day. The world outside the village was too large of an area to search for another based on appearance alone. It was akin to trying find a needle in a haystack. She knew not where to look, only that she wanted to voice her precious questions to the older Cavalier. Her lips formed into a strained frown as her search had yet to reveal the woman she was looking for.

“Teagan!” Her name was barked like a crack from a whip. The cream-coated whelp stopped dead in her tracks. Her ears folded back and her shoulders hunched in anticipation for a verbal lashing. Slowly, her cranium turned to the owner of the interjection.

“Yes, Mister Jonas?” Teagan replied, her words carefully spoken as if one misplaced inflection might stir the baker’s wrath.

He meant her no harm though. The heeler-mix wiped off some of the excess flour from his hands onto his apron. “Not causing trouble, are you?” His words were spoken critically and roughly in a way that equated to a scolding from the child’s point of view. The Fuoco eyed her with a narrowed glance, searching her growing frame for signs of deceit or mischief.

Teagan turned fully towards the baker at his question. She shook her head negatively. “No.” She thought to leave it at that, but, as her canary gaze met his golden one, the cogs began to turn in her mind. Perhaps he would know? “I’m looking for someone,” she added vaguely, feigning disinterest in the matter as if it were a common conversation piece.

Jonas gave her a jut of his jaw for her to continue. “Who?”

“Miss Sylvie,” she answered plainly, but with a hidden undertone of urgency. She sat down good and proper in hopes that it might loosen the baker’s grouchy tongue. “Have you seen her?” Teagan tried to not show how badly she wanted the information, but for a child who had been nothing but trouble for the unfortunate babysitter, her rigidness spoke volumes.

so yours can open too
Template by Andi || Image by Parides
Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:20 pm

WC: 418

With her chores for the day done on the ship much earlier in the morning, Sylvie was left with little to do during the day. She supposed that she could hunt, or perhaps find some pieces of would that she could leave sitting around for Xavier to find and carve into something. The coyote did not want to be too obvious about it for her adopted son since she was afraid that doing so would mean he would stop a hobby he liked just because she also liked it. Although he had gotten a bit better lately, he was still an angry adolescent and she often did not know what to do with him.

Perhaps some target shooting to help relieve some stress would be good. Sylvie retrieved her bow and then sat down so that she could go through her arrows one by one to see if any were cracked or broken. Several needed new fletching, and two would likely need to have their flint heads replaced soon, but only one had a crack in the shaft that rendered it unusable. Sylvie left it where she kept her bow, figuring she could salvage some of it and then use the shaft for kindling for a fire.

Bow and quiver of arrows in hand, Sylvie started towards the training grounds, which lead her through the fort. As she walked, she heard Jonah's sharp voice calling to one of Luca and Lyris's puppies. She stopped, wondering what sort of mischief the youngster had gotten into this time and for a moment she was glad that, for all of the issues she had with Xavier, he generally kept himself out of the sort of trouble that got back to her. He just avoided everyone, which caused separate problems.

Sylvie was going to continue on her way when more of the conversation filtered to her ears. She did not catch all of it since she was not trying to eavesdrop, but Sylvie was fairly certain that she heard her own name. After a moment of consideration, Sylvie turned towards where the voices were coming from. The coyote came across Teagan who was sitting in front of the baker. Sylvie tipped her head and then cleared her throat.

"Did you say you were looking for me, my dear?" She asked, wondering why that might be. She glanced up at Jonas and then back down to the puppy, figuring that she could answer for herself instead of letting the baker speak for her.
Sylvie Agnès

POSTED: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:42 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
FORM | DATE | LOCATION
This is where you would write something out of character.
WORD COUNT

Teagan watched the baker for any telltale signs of recognition, hoping that the heeler-mix had seen the coyote woman pass through. It wouldn’t have been the end of the world if he hadn’t, but…it would have been a setback. Who knew when she might have the chance again? Or, what if she forgot about it later? Then when would she ever get the answers to her questions? She would have had to go the entire day wondering about what-ifs and how-comes. The Poco didn’t fancy that. That was the makings of a sleepless night!

Jonas made a pondering look as he searched his memory banks for when he had seen the Agnès woman last. After a moment, he shook his head, his maw opening to voice his lack of knowledge when his gaze shifted from her and to somewhere else as a sound was heard. “There she is,” he rumbled, nodding towards the coyote as she approached.

The Poco’s canary gaze followed to where the baker had gestured, and found herself staring up at the bowman she had been looking for; Sylvie, her great-aunt, her parents had said she was now. She looked a lot different when she wasn’t dolled up like she had been for her wedding ceremony. Her patchwork of scars were clearly visible now, and, for a moment, the pup couldn’t help but to stare at them curiously in wonder.

Sylvie spoke up, returning Teagan’s wandering mind back to the present. Behind her, Jonas offered the archer a polite nod before ducking back into his shop, confident to turn over the trouble-child’s reigns to another responsible adult. The child blinked as she was refocused. Her gaze shifted shyly, and the Poco found herself looking at the bow and quiver in the coyote’s hands. “Uh…” she stalled dumbly. She hadn’t quite thought out how she was going to go about this part. “…yes, ma’am.” Teagan played with her paws as her mind frantically tried to will the words to form on her tongue. “I had…some questions.” Of course you do. That was a stupid thing to say.

Teagan shook her head to clear her thoughts and closed her eyes. Taking a deep breath, she puffed out her chest in gathered resolve. Her canary gaze found the older woman once more, but, this time, there was a bit of confidence to them where it had lacked before. “Could you…would you teach me about your—” Teagan’s eyes shifted to the bow, unsure of what to call it now. She tried to remember what Tristan had taught her. “—that thing?” She nosed the bow. “Momma has a weapon just like it…but she’s gone right now…so…”

Nervousness started to creep back in. What if Sylvie said “no”? What if she didn’t want to talk about it? What if she had other things to do? Or what if it was a stupid question? Teagan swallowed, and tried to sit taller so that she didn’t look as conflicted as she was.

so yours can open too
Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:46 am

OOC: oh my god Sylvie is a great-aunt she is so old! xP

IC:
It was not uncommon for others to stare at Sylvie's scars and so she was not bothered by Teagan's curious eyes. Long ago, it bothered her to be stared at, and she was embarrassed by the scars, and afraid that they made her ugly enough that no one would want her. That was when she was still trying to form failed relationships with the wrong sort of males, and some of them were the reasons for the scars.

Of course, Teagan was far too young to know those stories in great detail; if she asked, she would get the truth, but not all the details that went with it. Sylvie's practiced story was that there are a fair number of bad canines in the world, and some liked hurting others, but there were many more who were not. She was proud of the scars now; they showed that she was a survivor, and she felt like a survivor, not a victim.

With an amused glance, Sylvie watched Jonas head back into his shop. She would almost call it fleeing, which was a funny thought. Jonas, the large, grumpy male, running from a puppy. Then she looked back down at Teagan with a kind expression on her face as the pup fumbled over her words. Sylvie waited patiently for her to gather herself, sure that she would. She was Luca's daughter, after all, and just as Sylvie expected, the pup visibly grew more confident.

"Oh, of course," Sylvie nodded, although she was not entirely certain. She hoped that answering Teagan's questions herself and teaching her a little bit did not bother Lyris, seeing as Lyris was also an archer. Well, she could talk about it with the white wolf later to make sure that she was not stepping on any toes. What parents wanted for their puppies always came first, as long as the pups were not being harmed, and that certainly would not be a problem here.

"This is my bow," Sylvie told her. "I use it to shoot arrows." She reached back and pulled one from the quiver and held it out so that Teagan could see it. The feathers were plain brown, a color commonly found on birds in this area. She sometimes used to use other feathers, such as blue, because it made the arrows easier to find and retrieve, but now that her skill was good, her arrows tended to go where she intended them to and she did not need the bright feathers to find them.

"I was actually just about to go do some target practice. You can come with me if you want and I can give you a little demonstration?" Even though Teagan did not have hands to try it out yet, Sylvie was still willing to show her the basics and talk through them. Maybe Teagan would want to learn after she shifted. If Lyris was okay with it, she would be willing to help teach Teagan to use a bow.
Sylvie Agnès

POSTED: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:45 am

TEAGAN STRYDER
FORM | DATE | LOCATION
Sorry for the wait!
WORD COUNT

Slowly, Teagan’s tail began to wag as the coyote-woman agreed to teach the youth. The Poco let out a breath she hadn’t known she had been holding in her anxiety. Sylvie had said “yes!” She would show her her bow and stuff! Teagan wasn’t going to be turned away after all! She could have almost jumped for joy. Instead, she took a calmer approach. Her shoulders relaxed a bit as the tenseness left them, relieved to have survived such a tense moment. In her worry about the bowman’s answer, she had failed to notice the uncertainty in the coyote’s voice.

The Stryder tentatively strode forward when Sylvie presented her bow, taking a few inquisitive sniffs at it. “How’d you get the string on there?” It looked awfully tight! “And why’s it shaped like that?” Tristan had explained to her before that bows and spears were meant to be projectiles, or, rather, thrown from a distance. Still, there were so many questions that weighed on her mind that no amount of staring at her mother’s bow could answer.

Behind her, the child’s tail continued its slow wag as the coyote pulled out an arrow from her quiver. Again, Teagan took a few sniffs at the offered arrow. Both were made out of wood, but, where the other had a string, this one had feathers. The Callow-Knight child had explained many things during that day in the armory, and, apparently, the feathers helped the sharpened stick—it was the best she could equate it too in her youthful mind—fly…somehow...

Teagan’s sharp eyes looked both items up and down for a moment more before searching for wherever Sylvie had pulled the arrow from. “Where’d you get that from?” She asked, referring to the arrow. She craned her little neck to try and peak around the older woman without having to actually walk around her. Surely, she hadn’t just pulled it out of thin air? …or had she?

Sylvie offered an enticing suggestion to the pup, and the cream-coated Poco’s tail swished with more enthusiasm. Her canary eyes lit up instantly, and a shy grin spread along her lips. “Oh, yes, Miss Sylvie! I would like that!” She confirmed politely, doing her best to rein in her excitement over the matter.

so yours can open too
Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:25 am

With her yes, Sylvie expected more of a reaction from Teagan, and it made her wonder how much effort the puppy was putting into not jumping everywhere. There were questions, though, which Sylvie was more than happy to answer.

"The string goes through the little holes at each end," she dipped the bow down so that Teagan could see the end. "And it's tied off to keep them in place. Sometimes the string breaks and I have to replace it." She wondered if humans had other materials that they make bow strings out of that lasted longer, but she had to make do with what she could find.

"It's shaped like this so that it'll bend a little when I pull the string back, but not break. I've seen lots of differently shaped bows - I think mine is a little different from your mother's. It seems like some of it is just how the canine who made it wanted it to look." Sylvie's bow vanished from time to time and was slowly gaining some shallow, intricate carvings on it. She suspected it was her adopted son, Xavier, but she never commented because she didn't want him to stop.

"The arrow came from my quiver," Sylvie replied, turning so that Teagan could see it resting on her back. "I keep a bunch of arrows in there so that they're in easy reach but won't fall out. I put them in so that the feather end is up since that's the one I hold onto, and so that I don't poke myself." And a smile spread across Sylvie's face when the puppy accepted her offer of a little demonstration. She put the arrow back in the quiver.

"Alright, let's head to the training area where the targets are," Sylvie said and motioned for Teagan to come with her. When they arrived, she pointed to the targets that were still a fair distance from them. "Alright, here we are. Those are what I'll be aiming for."
Sylvie Agnès

POSTED: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:26 am

TEAGAN STRYDER
FORM | DATE | LOCATION
Sorry for the wait, and thanks for the thread! Feel free to either close up after this post or after yours!
WORD COUNT

The child watched with eager eyes as the coyote woman explained how the string was attached to the ranged weapon. Teagan studied the lowered section, taking in every detail she could about how the bow and string were attached. She had seen her mother—and a few others—use the wooden weaponry a time or two, and, it was clear to her calculating mind that the string played an important part in how the bow worked. Sylvie mentioned that the string broke from time to time, and this caused Teagan’s mismatched ears to prick with a newfound interest. “What are they made out of, Miss Sylvie?” What was strong and…rubbery enough to take on the constant motions of firing an arrow? And what made it break?

So many questions came to her curious young mind. The archer went on to explain the reasons behind the bow’s shape, and, even further so to explain that there were different types as well. Another question spilled from her maw before she could stop it, “What makes them different? What do they do?” Realizing the words had been spoke aloud, Teagan quickly pressed her lips together. She looked away bashfully, offering the older Cavalier a sheepish glance. “Sorry,” she murmured apologetically. Maybe she was hanging around Indi so much that she was starting to pick up on the sister’s motor mouth...

Sylvie was a patient woman, that was for sure. She easily answered the Poco’s endless questions and inquiries about her weapon, not once showing any sort of vexation or tire of the pup’s curiosity. She showed the child the final piece of the ranged system; the quiver which held the arrows which were shot by the bow. Once the quiver and its usage was explained, the arrow was returned, and the scarred coyote motioned for the whelp to follow her as she led them to the training area.

Teagan tried her best to not let on exactly how eager she was, but, her interest in the situation before her could not be questioned. She trotted along, hot on Sylvie’s heels. Her tail was held high and wagged gently in her wake. When they reached the grounds, the older woman directed the Poco’s attention to a few obstacles—targets—in the distance. Teagan sat down next to Sylvie’s feet, her canary gaze flicking between her and the targets. She nodded when Sylvie explained what she was about to do, and did her best to absorb every motion Sylvie made, from firing the arrow to the end result of the arrowhead piercing the target. Woooaaaah,” she breathed in quiet awe.

so yours can open too
Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:21 pm

"That's okay," Sylvie smiled. "Some of the larger bows are more powerful - they can shoot arrows faster and farther - but it's harder to pull the string back." Sylvie was not sure what the purpose of the different shapes were, but she did know that larger bows she used were move difficult but also seemed stronger. The type of wood also seemed to make a difference, but she thought that might go over the puppy's head.

"This string is made from deer sinew," Sylvie told her. "Sinew is around the deer's joints." She wasn't entirely sure how to explain that, so she hoped it would be good enough for Teagan. She supposed she might someday be able to find books on the subjects so that she could explain more clearly, but for now it would have to do.

When her arrow hit home, she smiled at Teagan's reaction. Sylvie had always liked puppies, and their innocent reactions to things like an arrow hitting a target were always endearing. She also liked that Teagan was allowed an innocent childhood. Sylvie's own was not like that, and it was something she felt all puppies deserved.

Sylvie continued the demonstration, answering Teagan's questions as they came up and by the time she was through, she hoped that she would get to continue teaching Teagan about archery. She thought it would be a nice way for Teagan to bond with her mother as well, and once she was finished shooting, she walked with Teagan to find something to eat.
Sylvie Agnès

Dead Topics