Race Along the Morning Light

Teagan- Overgrowth Sunrise

POSTED: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:09 pm

OOC: Dated to 2/10. They're on their way to Berwick and Wolfville. Sorry if a tad short and vague! Form: Optime

With many of Casa’s pups now apprentices within the pack, there were plenty of younger, adventurous spirits to introduce to the edges of the territory, and beyond. Her memory of those younger years was beginning to fade into the fog of distant past, but memories of another pup who had a penchant for searching for adventure and trouble clung closer to her mind, and she was quite certain that many of the younger members were beginning to get restless inside the confines of the territory. She knew she would be. As a pack Scout, she was expected to know the layout of the surrounding area, and was more than capable of holding little day trips with an apprentice or two at her side.

Of course, with a day as mild as today, this was no exception. In the morning hours of the day, the earthy Trovare set out with one of the Lune’s daughters, Teagan, in tow, a destination already in mind. They would be headed towards the abandoned towns along the coast some miles away. A steady distance for younger members, but with plenty to see and explore nonetheless. The only issue with the arrangement was whether the younger would find the trek to be as enjoyable as the once-far-roaming Corpo did. While their destination was bound to have some interest, the surrounding valley was fairly unremarkable in appearance, simply an ongoing stretch of dead grasses and shrubs, something that could get rather tiring on the eyes very quickly, particularly when the world around them was colored white and brown and gray. Still, Nadia was determined to keep things interesting. She’d spent some of the time explaining just where they were headed, answering what questions the Lotta had, though she left plenty out to leave up to the imagination. It wouldn’t do them very good if she simply answered all the questions about the area and squelched what curiosity there was to be found before they even arrived. By the time she’d finished, the trees of the forest were thinning out as they reached the valley, though there was still hours to go until they’d reach their destination. The conversation lulled, the sound of paws crunching against frost and snow among the only noises that filled the air.

Table by Myst | Photo by Visit Finland

POSTED: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:19 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 344 ]
Perfectly fine! Sorry for the wait! And, sorry for how short this seems/is Dx

She supposed the scouting expedition wouldn’t be so bad. Even if the woman she had gone with was someone new to her, she was still a Cavalier and was an archer to boot. The latter of which, combined with the whisper of an adventure, her mother had used to get Teagan to be more open to the idea. A social butterfly, the young Stryder was not, and, so, meeting new Luperci was not something Teagan exactly got excited about.

Her pale gaze snuck a glance at her temporary guardian and teacher. Nadia was her name. She seemed okay—was quite pleasant, actually. After a bit of initial awkwardness, the Lotta had opened up a bit. Nadia wasn’t over bubbly, nor was she a grouch like Jonas was. The Corpo was very knowledgeable, Teagan had discovered. With every curious question the child asked, the archer had a reply that was complete; fully understandable and satisfying to the Stryder’s inquiries. An old human ruin was their destination, and Teagan was more eager than she let on to see what it looked like. It was different from the fort, though similar in some ways, she had been told. The girl’s imagination had built up a multitude of possible shapes and structures, but nothing would be as satisfying as seeing the real thing.

The pair continued to amble along, and as the landscape slowly shifted from one type to another, Teagan had finally found a new question for the Corpo. “Miss Nadia,” the Stryder began, “What is it that you do? When you’re off scouting, I mean.” She had asked plenty of questions about their destination, but had inquired very little about the one who was leading her there. Teagan’s canary gaze flicked to the older woman as she picked her way around an obstacle in their path. “How far do you go?” The fact that the archer knew something was even out this far was amazing to the Cavalier youth. She had never been so far from home in her life!

Template: Hilli / Andi || Image: thrumyeye
Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:44 pm

OOC: I think this was before Anathema moved north again, but then again, who knows how fast that news has spread yet. XD W.C.: 473 +3

Neither she nor Teagan, it seemed, were of the most social types. Admittedly, a bit of the Trovare was a bit nervous about leading any of the apprentices around. Quite simply, she wasn’t familiar with any of them, if she’d knew them, it was through whatever word of them floated around the pack. In that sense, perhaps it was a good thing for her to be able to get to know the younger faces in the pack through something she could spend some time chattering away about, given the right kind of curious questions that could be asked by any younger wolf who’s yet to seen the outside world. Briefly, she considered to herself how, in a way, she had been lucky to have been born a loner. There were fewer restrictions to one area, so as a curious youth, she was able to roam with her family and explore quite freely. For many of the apprentices, they’d scarcely seen outside the territory before. For their safety, of course, but she couldn’t imagine how she would have handled it at their age.

One chocolate ear twitched when Teagan broke the silence between them, and golden eyes glanced back over her shoulder at the Lotta. Her eyes seemed to brighten at the curious question, more directed to scouting than their actual destination. ”It varies. As a Trovare, part of my duty involves just scouting around the borders. Sometimes, I travel outwards in order to map out the landscape, updating the maps of the area, which helps keep track of what lands are claimed by packs, where their claims lay, which ones are unclaimed. Sometimes, I keep an ear open as I travel to pick up on recent events going on between packs,” she added with a hint of mischief in her eyes. She left out the one small detail of sometimes having to actively seek out this information for now. The Lotta was still a bit young to know all the details, and the shadier businesses of scouting was not always seen in the same light as other things the knight pack did. A smile sat on her face as she considered the second question. “I’ve gone quite far before. I’ve travelled far south towards where Anathema resides, and I’ve been far north before, too, though less often, not in some months.” Part of her wishes she could explore the northern regions more frequently, but the journey north took far longer than it did to go south, even if she were to get permission to sail. With some of their closest relations being in the north, it would do well for her to be better acquainted with the area. Of course, to many a wolf, the distances she traveled were quite vast for a pack member.

POSTED: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:58 am

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 394 ]
Yeah, I think AT moved north again in late February!

The Stryder child did well to listen as the archer explained what it was that she did and what her duties entailed as a scout. She rather liked the idea, Teagan decided quietly. It sounded like it was a bunch of fun: always out seeing new things, new places. For a heart that was set on adventure, how could that not be a desirable job? It couldn’t even be considered “work” at that point; it was just another day of fun! The Lotta nodded hollowly, while still listening, her brain had wandered off, envisioning what Nadia might experience and see day to day. When her dialogue started to come to an end though, Teagan quickly refocused herself.

Spying the mischievous twinkle in the Trovare’s eye, Teagan grinned. “What do you hear sometimes?” Followed by a, “Do you run into bad guys too?” The cream-coated wolfdog made a motion as if she were fighting with an invisible enemy with an equally invisible sword. Remembering Nadia was an archer though, her swordplay changed to shooting an arrow at a faraway foe behind them. “It sounds like your job’s really fun!” She commented as she returned to the adult’s side once more.

Her canary gaze looked up at Nadia as she told of how far she usually traveled. She mentioned a pack, and it was one that perked Teagan’s interest. “What did they do?” She asked innocently, referring to Anathema. “I heard that Anathema’s bad…but no one’s really told me why…” Perhaps, since Nadia wasn’t one of her parents, she’d tell her why the group had been labeled as such. She sounded pretty knowledgeable, so…surely she’d know the reason?

There was a pause before Teagan added, “What other packs are there?” Maybe if it seemed more of a general question, Nadia would be more willing to share. Teagan counted on her fingers, “I know Tristan went with Vinátta, and Momma has friends there. So, they’re good people. Umm…there’s a pack called…Core…Core deh Miracle?” She struggled with the foreign-sounding name, and looked to Nadia for her help with it. “Oh! And Inferni! I learned about them recently, they’re coyotes like my teacher, Miss Sylvie!” She was up to four fingers, as she had already counted in Anathema.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:01 pm

OOC: So sorry for being slow! Midterms and break rolled by, which I spent mostly with my family. Will try to be faster in the future! W.C.: 604 +5

Nadia loved her job in the pack, for all it brought. She had the freedom the wandering spirit inside of her craved, with the comfort and security of a pack to return to. She wasn’t the fondest of the active persuasion for information, she preferred to be a fly on the wall more than anything, but even this she was fine with doing in the name of her pack. Information was essential, with the intricacies and twists that could come from pack relations or convoluted plans of bands of loners. Things like this, of course, quickly catch the attention of outsiders’ ears, particularly if they were young, curious minds themselves. Tegan was no exception.

”Small bits of current events in the area that can come from looser lips, or plans of some more ambitious canines in the area. It varies,” Nadia admitted with a shrug. She smiled a bit more with the immediate second question, and slowed her pace as the apprentice mimicked fighting motions. ”Occasionally, I do, though it’s not the most ideal to end up getting into a scuffle as a scout. Particularly when it’d better to be more in the shadows or on the edge.” She certainly had her fair share of issues along the borders, and the memory of a ragged, lean canine who’d considered having a band of loners a little too close to Casa borders briefly crossed her mind. ”It certainly is an enjoyable job for a curious, more adventurous kind.”

Her good spirits dampened some at the mention of Anathema, though. She shouldn’t have been too surprised, though; there had been a lot more activity with the darker pack as of late, and they had created a fresh slew of bad blood with Casa. Teagan was young enough to have no idea of New Dawn and their fate, much less the history of issues between the packs.

”Well. . . There have been issues with Anathema and Casa before I was even a member of Casa myself. The most recent of which, though, was that they attacked an old ally pack of ours, New Dawn, without warning, for no reason. . . You had to have been very young when that’d happened, it’d happened in the past summer.” How strange to think it’d been so many months since then. The pack seemed to stay quiet, for now, but for how much longer? She was uncertain. . . With tensions being what they were, though, she saw no need to hide this truth from the apprentice. It was important for her to know why there were problems with another pack, that Anathema had done wrong, and how Casa was aware and watching.

”Cour des Miracles,” Nadia corrected, and a bit of the tension left her shoulders at the shift in conversation. “Casa has a friendly alliance with the Court, and they aren’t too far from us, though they are further south than we are. There’s also Midnight Shores. They are a pack we are allied with, though their territory is far north, on an island. AniWaya is a tribal pack that’s also to the south that Casa interacts with from time to time. They have an interesting culture, from what I’ve seen of it. There are a few more packs to the north, too. Salsola, Krokar, and Sapient.” She, admittedly, knew less of the northern packs. Salsola had poor relations with Casa, while the other two packs were so far up north, that frequent interaction was near impossible, and the trek too long to regularly make to check out the packs otherwise.

POSTED: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:59 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 417 ]
@____@ Sorry this post sucks!

Her ears fell a bit at when Nadia revealed what she often heard. The way she had explained it, the information she heard of sounded boring. No dragons? No knights? No bad wizards or villains on the winds? Teagan was a bit disheartened to hear it was mostly just adult stuff. The scout was able to quickly lift Teagan’s opinions of the matter though, agreeing that she found a ruffian or two in her travels. At her comment about scuffles as a scout, however, the child looked the earthen hued female up and down. Nadia didn’t look frail, so, that ruled out physical reasons behind the ruling. So, why was it so important that they stick to the shadows? “How come it’s not good to get in a fight if you’re a scout? You don’t look weak.” Nobody in the pack did, in her opinion. If they could all fight, why shouldn’t they?

When she voiced her questions about Anathema, it appeared the questions had perhaps not been the best to ask. Still, Nadia answered them. The mention of New Dawn perked the Lotta’s ears. “That’s the pack my cousins came from,” she commented softly, her canary eyes sparking with understanding and with a simmer of anger. She had never put much thought into her uncle’s family’s previous home. She had always just shrugged it off and taken it as they had moved on. She hadn’t realized they had been attacked. Teagan was quiet for a little while afterwards, mulling over her new dislike for Anathema.

The scout corrected Teagan’s blunder with the French-named pack, and the Stryder child nodded, testing the name out beneath her breath. It was such a weird name, and it made her tongue twist in weird ways to pronounce it. Nadia was kind enough to continue, naming off various other packs as well as little tidbits of information about them in regards to Casa di Cavalieri. Teagan did her best to commit them to memory. “That’s a lot of packs,” Teagan remarked as she picked her way down a particularly steep slope.

The pair continued on for a little while before Teagan decided to inquire, “How much farther ‘till we get where we’re going?” It had been a while since she had asked the question. Her gaze shifted from the archer, trying to discern any worthwhile landmarks or indications that they were getting closer to their destination.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:17 pm

OOC: No worries, it's a fine post! WC: 516 +5

For better or for worst, there were few to no dragons or wizards that existed in their real world, nor any for Nadia to personally have to handle. Whiffs of danger, or of villains, were a different story, perhaps more than the pup with her realized yet. With time, she’d maybe grow to see such, but for now, the younger was protected, and learning fast how to defend herself against threats so that should evil find its way once more to Casa’s door, or to the doors of its neighbors, the next generation would be ready.

She felt Teagan begin to almost size her up at her mention of keeping to the shadows, and curiously looked towards her, anticipating whatever interesting question was sure to leave her mouth. She wasn’t disappointed, either, and she had to swallow the laugh that threatened to build up in her chest. She was certainly flattered that, small size or not, she did not appear in any way weak; dedicated training and plenty of time spent roaming about worked to strengthen her over the years. But it had to sound strange to the apprentice, that in the pack of knights trained for battle, there were those who were better off avoiding too many scuffles. ”Well, sometimes, as a scout, it is very important to stay in the background while gathering information, otherwise it attracts attention to Casa. So, getting into scuffles or fights while scouting makes others aware of that scout’s presence, it makes them memorable. If a scout avoids a fight, and remains unseen, they can continue to work and carry out their job without an issue. When the battle’s at Casa’s door, though, you can certainly expect to find me there to fight,” she added with a nod and a protective gleam in her eye. Scout or not, she would defend her home with her pack mates.

While she didn’t necessarily mention how the attack led to New Dawn’s disbandment, the Lotta was able to piece together the rest of the story without her word. She couldn’t fault her for the simmer of anger she could make out in Teagan’s eyes, though; the strike was more personal for the Lotta, her own extended family had seen the attack and suffered its consequences. She nodded quietly in response to the softer words, her eyes unreadable, unable to really say anything else about it, and turned her head to face towards the direction they were headed in once more. What Anathema did was unacceptable, but nothing said now could fix that.

Nadia didn’t respond right away to the Lotta’s question of the length of time until they reached their destination, her eyes scanning the near horizon until, at last, she noticed a small, rundown shack of a house. ”A bit past that house, and we’ll be there,” she said over her shoulder. She felt her own excitement return at the thought, eager to see the apprentice’s reaction once they reached the two towns after all their journeying.

POSTED: Mon May 09, 2016 2:23 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 343 ]
We can slap an OOC end on this soon if you’d like? It’s an older thread (which is my bad Dx) and I didn’t know if you wanted to freshen your thread load or not x3

Teagan mulled over Nadia’s explanation for why scouts avoided dangers when possible. It made sense, she supposed. Staying hidden allowed for them to secretly obtain information with their enemy being none the wiser. They would carry on about their business without realizing their plans and movements had been quietly documented. It’d give the Cavaliers an advantage that their opponents wouldn’t know they had. The Lotta nodded, finally making sense of the scout’s methodology.

At the archer’s promise, Teagan grinned, “Your job sounds really cool, Miss Nadia. I’m glad Daddy has Luperci like you to fight with him.” One moment, the scout could be in covert-mode, the next, she could be dishing out damage on the battlefront. It was an appeasing idea, to be secretive and stealthy but also deadly when it came to a fight. It was a role Teagan found that she could idolize.

The Stryder child’s question about their destination hung in the air for a few moments. At first, the youth thought maybe Nadia hadn’t heard her, but, seeing the adult’s attention distracted by their surroundings, she’d begun to wonder if they’d gotten lost or if the older female had heard something with her scout-senses. Teagan pricked her ears and sniffed the air. On the off chance Nadia had spotted something nefarious, the Lotta wanted to show that she wouldn’t be a liability.

When Nadia spoke though, it was not of some evil lurking in the shadows. They were close to their destination! Excitement bubbled in the girl as her canary eyes found the house the scout was referring to. It wasn’t too far. In fact, if they just did a little jog, they’d come upon it in no time at all. Teagan picked up her pace, reaching out to snatch the adult’s hand as she made to pass her. “Come on, Miss Nadia! It’s so close!” She urged impatiently, her lips split from cheek to cheek in a wide, excited grin.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

Dead Topics