where the streets are empty, that's where we run

Tea!

POSTED: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:37 am

some assumptions in here, lemme know if they're okay! (+400)

She crept, silent as death. Not a floorboard would dare to creak beneath the placement of each foot, nor would a door hinge manage to squeal as she swiftly pulled her body into the entrance of the dark room. The skill had come from years of mastering the tracking and killing of deer in the forest- deer, the creature with ears sensitive enough to catch the uncharacteristic crack of a twig. That crack had often cost her a meal, and she would sleep hungry as well as cold in the snow as punishment. Lyris had long since learned never to slip up in that perspective, and now her daughter would never know she was coming.

The mother clasped a hand over Teagan's mouth, muffling any cry that might ensue as a result. Turning the girl on her side, Lyris lifted a finger to her lips, hoping the girl would recognize her eyes in the dark. Slowly releasing her hold, the Cavallo nodded over her shoulder and exited the room as silent as she entered, waiting just outside for Teagan to follow. She knew she would. As soon as the door was shut between them and Indi, it was expected that Lyris talk, but she did not; as was the classic, more-mysterious-than-necessary Lyris. The reason for the secrecy was simple; she did not want Indi to know of their excursion, at least not until was necessary. Bad blood had been evident between the sisters, and it was a sharp thorn under Lyris' heart. But it was only a passing spat, she promised herself. Lyris had tried to get involved as little as possible; her first goal was for her daughters to be independent and strong, and the only way for that to happen was to let them figure out their first trial on their own. They were sisters, of course they would forgive and forget. It just took time.

Lyris led her daughter outside into the frosty cold and gray-dawn sky. "The first lesson of riding is to wake up when the horses do." The scarred female smiled, and ushered Teagan to follow. Together, mother and child ran to the stables. Lyris had considered bringing Indi along, but thought better of it. Her vibrant koi-splattered offspring had not shown nearly as much interest as riding as the sparky Teagan had, and they would not learn as well with the overhanging mood of rivalry between them. "Pick your poison." Lyris ordered, opening her hand to the rows of stalls that loomed before them. "Of course, your options are limited. Communal horses, Kenyon, or Ulrich." She wanted to know which steed Teagan would go for, out of simple curiosity.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
these scars that mark my body?
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:36 am

(+674)
Sorry for the wait! Thanks for starting! Alex, if you’re reading this, hope you don’t mind the snippet of Indi that I added!

In their cold war, the two sisters had been sleeping apart with Teagan on one side of the room and Indi on the other. As much as the cream-coated princess longed to be with her sibling, the bad blood between them prevented her from being anywhere near Indi. To cuddle in their warm ball like they used to would mean she would have admitted defeat in their war. Still feeling that she was the victim instead of the perpetrator, it was not a loss she was willing to take.

She had gone to sleep in her Lupus form, finding it easier to slip beneath the blankets if she had less surface area to cover. Her dreams had been dark or thoughtless as of late, gone were the knights of her fantasies. In their place, the demon that had attacked her had become more prevalent, but, and had been with some luck that she had managed to keep him caged up that night. And when her mother woke her suddenly that morning, Teagan had not been afraid for her life.

Blearily, she rose from her warm nest of blankets at her mother’s gesture for the child to follow. Teagan lazily stretched her muscles before casting a glance at her sister when she heard the other fidget in her sleep. Seeing that she had kicked some of her blanket off, the Lotta took a quick glance at the open door before quietly padding over to Indi. As gently as she could, she brought the edge of the blanket back over her koi-colored sibling, nosing it into place so it wouldn’t fall away again. Even if she was currently at odds with her sister, she still cared...even if she didn’t like to show it. Satisfied that Indi was taken care of, Teagan quickly crept out their bedroom door.

In the main room, the Stryder child shifted to her Optime form and waited expectantly for her mother to say something. Instead though, Lyris exited the house, and Teagan had little other choice but to follow. It was dreadfully early; earlier than she could ever recall waking up. The sun had not even fully crested the horizon yet, Teagan noted as she rubbed the remaining sleep from her eyes. It was only once they were outside that the mother explained why she had woken her daughter up at such an ungodly hour for a child.

When the words registered though, Teagan was instantly awake and a broad smile had spread across her lips at her contained excitement. Had she been a bubblier child like Indi, Teagan might have skipped in her joy after her mother. Even composed though, it was clear that the young wolfdog was eager as ever to get to the stables for her first riding lesson. The pair arrived at the stables quick enough, and, as Lyris opened the stable doors, she instructed Teagan to pick her riding partner.

Teagan’s eyes glittered as she leisurely walked down the line of stalls. Her hands were woven behind her back as she tried to decide who she might choose. One individual had instantly come to mind, but, Teagan didn’t want to make her choice so hastily. Her decision came down to three, which was narrowed down to two when the girl had returned to stand before the chosen stabled horses. “If you’ll be riding with me, I can take Tupelo and you can take Kenyon?” She suggested, obviously unsure of how her mother planned to conduct the lesson. “Otherwise, I’d like to ride on Kenyon if I can?” While Ulrich was her father’s horse, the daughter had bonded with the Palomino when she had been younger, as well, the communal horse was the smallest of the three. And, obviously, Kenyon was the favorite of the bunch since her mother’s introduction, and the child had since been sure to give the Vanner extra helping of snacks. Teagan turned to look at her mother, waiting for her verdict.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:40 pm

at dawn, we ride >) (+400)

Lyris still woke early, but she hadn't risen before the sun with company since she had joined Casa. Luca did not sleep in too dreadfully late, but he was a man through and through and would not deny himself sleep. With his newly bestowed Lune duties there was no way he was going to get up early with his mate just for the heck of it; and so it seemed he would miss out on a kiss- or two- or three- upon the dawn shifting to day. While Tea's company may have been forced by Lyris, any hesitation was soon swept away when her daughter realized what they were up to. To be conscious with the birds just beginning their songs and to have a reason for it was rejuvenating. This was a much needed break from her awfully boring daily routine. She would now be eager to discover a skill that Indi showed interest in, if only to offer her equally as exciting lessons.

The vibrant-eyed child's choice of steed was both surprising and not; of course, her eyes shot directly to Kenyon's stall, but she seemed to hold the understanding to take her time, and instead settled on a more gentle steed, though did not forget to express her interest in her first pick. "I'll show you the basics of riding on Tupelo. Walking, trotting, and running. Then we'll switch. I have a feeling Kenyon will want to show off, and therefore be more difficult. I'm sure we can handle him, though." Lyris smiled, eyes sparkling in well-hidden excitement. The Cavallo then led her daughter farther into the stables and opened first Tupelo's and then Kenyon's stall. She placed saddle blankets on both mounts, and then saddles and halters. She would have had Teagan help her, but the horse tack was heavy for the still young girl. Instead, she settled to explaining to Teagan how to tighten and fasten each essential piece of wear, even allowing her daughter to try herself a few times. Tupelo, who normally became fussy with tack, decided to cooperate that morning. It then became clear that both were itching to ride, and so Lyris handed off Tupelo's reins to Teagan. Grabbing her stallion's own, they led their horses outside the stables together. "Alright, watch me." Moving slower than she normally would, Lyris grabbed the horn of Kenyon's saddle, slipped one foot into the hold, and then with a grunt lifted her other leg up and over to settle on the saddle. Directing Kenyon so that he stood parallel to Tupelo's side, Lyris nodded. "Your turn."

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:35 pm

(+539)
XDDD

Her mother approved of her choice of Tupelo, and even offered to let her try her luck on Kenyon once they got the basics down. Teagan practically beamed in her excitement. Her tail wagged softly behind her, happy to hear what her mother had to say while also ecstatic to get the lesson moving. She laughed a bit when Lyris mentioned the large stallion wanting to show off, as well as nodded in agreement that they could deal with the Vanner’s antics. The older Stryder led them deeper into the stables, retrieving the necessary riding equipment needed for the horses. She explained the purpose of each as she showed them to the daughter.

Teagan made sure to take good mental notes as well as store the information away for later review. If she wanted to do this herself one day, she had to know all the basics! She was saddened at the fact that she couldn’t help with everything because of her age, but, this had quickly been replaced with added respect for her mother and her strength as she hauled the heavy saddles to its intended mount. Each horse was equipped with their gear, and, her mother had even let her try her hand at getting the two hoofed animals riding ready. The first attempt was here and there, but, after a few tries, Teagan quickly got the hang of things.

The Lotta was almost giddy when Tupelo’s reins were placed in her hands. She gave the horse a few pets before gently tugging on the straps in order to show the creature her intentions. The cream-hued Palomino followed the young girl’s lead, her steady hoof beats nearly in tandem with Kenyon’s as her mother led the group out into a more open area. Teagan watched as her mother demonstrated how to get up onto the horses. Her canary gaze took in every detail to the motion she had seen her mother do so effortlessly before.

When it came to her turn, Teagan nodded confidently. Her tongue slipped out from her lips as she sized Tupelo up. It had been good thinking on her part to choose the smaller horse of her three choices. While large in breeding, Teagan was still short when compared to the horse, but, she wasn’t about to let that stop her. It took a few swipes for her to grab the saddle horn, but, when she did, Teagan swung herself up easily and proudly. She grinned widely at her mother at her accomplishment.

“I’m so high up,” she muttered, looking down at the ground from which she had come. It felt so…weird to be sitting in a saddle, to have such a powerful creature between her legs. She fidgeted a bit, trying to get comfortable on the foreign seat. Once she had, she hooked her feet securely into each foot hold, and nervously picked up the reins again as she waited for her next direction. She had never done such a thing before, so, while confident and excited, she was careful to make sure she didn’t do something or told the horse something accidently that she didn’t mean. “What’s next, Mom?”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:10 am

rambles, you can skip the first three paragraphs if you so desire! (+600)

Lyris could distinctly remember her first attempt at saddling a horse. That very first horse had, in fact, been Kenyon; though the occasion was years ago, in the stalls of Sangi'lak. Lyris had been still young, then, the scar on her face thinner but fresher, her heart still cracked but not quite as tattered as it would become through the years. The first attempt at picking up the saddle had ended with Lyris and the thing on the ground in a heap. A few pulled muscles later, she succeeded, and since then she had persued the art of riding and caring for horses. Not many could say the first horse they ever met was their best friend, but Lyris had the privilege.

Teagan's eyes, now fully bright and beautiful in their maturity, never left Lyris or her hands. She absorbed every word of information, and the Corpo couldn't resist the faint smile that followed her every instruction. It reminded her literally of the fragile baby doe following close behind its mother with wobbly legs that improved in strength and confidence with every motion and gentle nudge of the mother. Lyris could only hope to be as successful as her own mother or that of the deer; hopefully, teaching Teagan this important skill was a foot in the right direction.

Not a moment too soon they were out in the lightly snow-dusted patch in front of the stables, mounting and preparing to ride. Lyris had decided to let Teagan first try on her own, and then potentially help her should she realize how hard the mounting could actually prove to be, but found no need. Her daughter, after only a few failed attempts, leaped to Tupelo's back as if she belonged there. Without the subtle smile falling, Lyris nodded, once again struck by the size of Kenyon. He towered a good two or more feet above Tupelo's shoulder, and she had to reconsider letting Teagan ride him. Of course she would allow Teagan to try; she only hoped Kenyon would be gentle. If his pride was as prevalent today as it usually was, there may be some bucking involved, which was never pleasant for beginners.

"Just wait until we get to run," Lyris chimed. "It's the closest I've ever gotten to flying." Lifting a shoulder, Lyris grinned a little bit wider, and then nudged Kenyon so that he promptly plodded around Tupelo to face the mare and girl. "The most important thing is to make sure you hold the reins even. If they're tangled or not even, you'll confuse the horse on where to go." Lyris lifted the reins she was holding, demonstrating how they were equal lengths on either side of Kenyon's dappled face. "Next, you can't be soft. Horses are big, and they know it. They'll see what they can get away with. If she starts to wander off or not listen to your commands, yank. You won't hurt her, trust me." As if to illustrate her point, Kenyon moved his head down in an attempt to pick at a patch of sprouting dandelions, and Lyris snapped his reins. Kenyon, with a snort similar to the groan of a spoiled child, returned his head to its proper place. "Now, walk. Gently tap with your heels. Follow me." Lyris urged her stallion into a walk, heading towards the race track slowly. Lyris didn't even need to really guide him, as he was so loyal he knew exactly where to go. Instead, she turned her attention to watching Teagan's progress the majority of the time.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:22 pm

(+464)
Sorry for the wait! I was trying to catch up on my other characters! Dx Also, sorry if this is sort of sucky >___< It’s been forever since I’ve ridden a horse!

Her mismatched ears twitched with attention at her mother’s comparison. Riding was like flying? It had been a feeling the Stryder youth had often pondered. The way her grandmother’s falcons glided about, they looked so free. Even though running in her Lupus form could garner the same feeling of having wind whip by one’s face, she doubted it was the same as being atop a horse or propelling oneself through the air like a bird. The idea only fueled the contained excitement within the girl. She was eager as ever to simply jump right in to the chaos and see where it led her. The more rational side of her cautioned against such wild actions though; one had to learn how to walk before they could run.

The more experienced pair made a loop around the new rider and her steed, stopping only for a demonstration. Teagan’s canary eyes looked from her mother’s hands to her own, making mental notes about the seemingly unimportant item in her grasp. The reins were what controlled and spoke her desires to the animal between her legs. “Okay,” the Lotta nodded in understanding, confident but with a shadow of doubt. She was still new to the whole concept, after all. Teagan was glad to hear that pulling on the reins wouldn’t hurt Tupelo. It looked like it would since it was connected to the bit in the horse’s mouth. Her mother had insisted though, and so Teagan had trusted her judgement.

At the impromptu example, the princess’ eyes lit up with understanding. It was like Lyris had said, Kenyon didn’t look hurt by the action. “So, it’s like a correction or a…uh…a way of talking to them? You know, since they don’t speak our language?” She inquired as she tried to make a Luperci-comparison to the reins and their function.

Lyris moved on to the next step, and the student was ever attentive to follow her direction. Teagan looked down on either side of Tupelo’s girth before performing the action. And, just like magic, the horse began to walk, following Kenyon’s lead. The pace was steady and slow, and Teagan could feel her body swaying with each step made by Tupelo. Teagan smile only broadened the further along they walked. “This is so cool, Mom!” Acting on a whim, she reached over to gently smooth her hand across the short fur on her horse’s neck; an action meant to show her appreciation to Tupelo’s cooperation.

Straightening, she looked at her mother once more. “What would I do if I wanted her to turn a certain way? Or! Or back up?” She was eager to learn more and to learn it all.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:00 pm

omg do not worry, I'm sorry for the slow! (+400)

Lyris wish she had more time to ride. Recently, she had been restricted by duties or otherwise discomfort in leaving her family for longer than was necessary. She'd gone on runs through Casa, even attempting several times to catch up with the elusive herd of Mirage Glade on Kenyon's strong back. They had never succeeded in that matter, but even then, her excursions were never as long as she longed for. She wanted to sleep next to a fire, curled up next to Kenyon in her lupus form, with the canopy of stars bright and exceedingly vibrant over her head, even if it was just for a night. The time for such a thing would come, but for now, she would focus on teaching. That was nearly as interesting and demanding as traveling, and with Teagan, nonetheless, it would undoubtedly be a highlight of both their days. The sun continued to rise, just breaking over the flat line of the horizon to begin to warm the frosty morning chill.

Lyris began her lesson simply, with basic tips and learning how to walk from point A to point B. Teagan was the most attentive, easy student the mother could say she had had for a long time, and so it was not a surprise that Tupelo acted perfectly on first command. The canary eyes of her daughter brightened with excitement, and instantly questions began to bubble. Lyris could no longer avoid the smile that returned to paint her face, and so she gently guided Kenyon to walk across the path of Tupelo, and then along the mare's flank. "Calm down, sparky." The woman laughed, lifting a shoulder. "It gets better, as I've said." Lyris watched Teagan pat Tupelo, and nodded in approval. Half of the work of horseback riding was understanding and being grateful for the favor your steed was doing you. "Going backwards, huh? That's a skill for another day, but it can be done. " The Cavallo's eyes sparkled. "However, to turn, all you have to do is make sure she knows that you want to. Stay as you are, but now, shift your weight and lightly pull the reins the direction you want to go." Lyris demonstrated, sliding her upper body so that it tipped ever so slightly to the left, and the reins so that they urged her stallion's head to turn to the left. Kenyon immediately followed the curve of her body until Lyris straightened again, now several feet farther from daughter and steed. The Stryder nodded towards Teagan to give it a try.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sat May 07, 2016 10:54 pm

(+375)
Sorry for the wait again Dx We could wrap this up either now or in a post or two since it’s an older thread, if you want to? Not sure how your thread counts were lookin’ x3

Teagan mirrored her mother’s laughter, and the affectionate name calling only further encouraging a mirthful atmosphere. She grinned sheepishly, realizing she had perhaps been too excited about the whole lesson and the starry-eyed about all the possibilities that she might eventually be able to do. The young Stryder couldn’t help it though. She’d always idolized the knights in her story books, and now she was one step closer to being like them. All she had left to do was master swordsmanship and get herself a nice set of armor. Then she’d be set! She could battle evil and save the helpless!

Her ears and shoulders sagged, crestfallen that she wasn’t learned enough to perform the command she wanted to do. However, the older Stryder was more than willing to teach her daughter how to turn, and Teagan eagerly accepted the option. The Lotta watched her mother’s demonstration. She made it look so easy and Kenyon reacted to her like he was simply an extension of her body and mind! Teagan watched the horse and rider perform, and when Lyris looked back at the smaller two, the girl nodded confidently.

Tupelo was a great training companion, idly waiting for a command, not distracted or testing her young rider. It was something the princess appreciated. Teagan put some tension on the reins, mimicking her mother’s actions with a gentle pull towards the direction the Cavallo and the Vanner had gone. She leaned in the same direction she’d pulled, and it became clear when Tupelo walked in a circle that she had made the pull and tilt too severe.

Laughing at her mistake, Teagan corrected her directions, but not before apologizing to the Palomino in an airy chuckle, “Sorry, Tupelo.” Once she had finally gotten the pair of them near her mother’s side once more, Teagan looked up at her with eager eyes. “What next, Mom? What else can I do?” She smiled brightly at Lyris, her tail softly thumping Tupelo’s girth. Her canary eyes made a quick glance to the open field around them, secretly hoping her mother would let them gallop and jump like she had shown Teagan the first time she’d met Kenyon.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed May 11, 2016 1:17 am

yep that's perfect!! Here is fine. <: Thanks for the thread & lemme know when ya want another! (+400)

Lyris couldn't have been more thrilled at her daughter's eagerness to learn. Of course, there was often the mother's realization that learning meant growing and eventual departure from their little cottage; Teagan was driven enough to learn a set of skills that would undoubtedly aide her in many different aspects of being a Knight. And the sisters could only share their little room for so long before it became an immature setting. The Courthouse was a two minute walk from their home, but Lyris felt like when her children moved it would be across an ocean. She would never mention or reveal such a feeling, of course- as much was nothing characteristic to the Cavallo. But as Teagan easily guided Tupelo forward and immediately clicked with the basic commands her mother sighed, an oddly bittersweet feeling catching her unawares.

However, as Tupelo was guided in a circle, the emotion fled and was instead replaced with vague humor. Teagan managed to learn from her mistake and skillfully maneuvered the smaller mare back to Kenyon's side, Lyris offering a nod of approval. "Hmm." She considered what skills would be best gone over. "Let's trot, and then practice walking and turning a few more times. Then we will switch." Lyris patted Kenyon's dappled neck, hoping that the stallion would behave. Given the basic fact that her steed was a stallion, his temperament was often a wild card. He seemed to take to Teagan, however, so Lyris was not too concerned. Undoubtedly, her canary-eyed daughter would be a little disappointed that she was not yet going to receive a lesson in running and jumping, but the foundation for become a skillful horseback rider was knowing how to communicate to your mount where you wanted to go and how you wanted to do it. The Corpo led the princess to the race track, where they would practice trotting and walking several times more, as well as weaving across the path.

Eventually, they switched animals. Kenyon was a little restless with Teagan on his back and Lyris had to tell her daughter not to be afraid to yank the reins several times. Eventually, however, she was able to crank the basic commands out of the more difficult horse, and by that time the sun had hit mid-morning. Lyris could not feel the effect, but she suspected Teagan's thighs would be getting very sore, and so they headed back to the center of the fort, the mother trotting on Tupelo with her daughter commanding the towering Kenyon, a horse master in training.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

Dead Topics