Class is in Session

Sylvie

POSTED: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:19 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
Optime | Training Grounds, Morning [ 432 ]
Let me know if anything needs changing!

The day had begun like any other as of late, fined tuned to a style that was gradually becoming more adult in routine than her previous child-like freedoms. Her biological clock had woken her up just before sunrise. After a kiss to her sister’s temple as they departed and a short chat with her mom and dad while they got ready for the day, Teagan had left the house to visit her friends at the stables. Even if it was work, the girl rather liked the duties she had taken upon herself. It made her feel responsible, as well as made her feel like she was actually contributing to the pack…even if it was small.

She gave Kenyon, Ulrich, and Tupelo a few extra snacks as she fed the stable’s occupants their breakfast. The falcons were visited as well, spoken to softly so they could slowly get used to her. The female of the two had been more and more absent as of late, which was something that reminded Teagan that she needed to talk to her parents about. What if something was wrong with Marahute? The fact that she still showed up from time to time was reassuring, but, the raptor’s constant and sudden absence was of concern for the young girl who had come to adore the birds.

With her rounds finished, Teagan had set off for the training grounds. The world was still largely cast in shadow in some areas, but, the sun had risen well enough into the sky for work to be done. On her way over, she had nabbed a few fresh pieces of bread from Jonas’ first batch of the day, and some cured meat from his brother’s shop. The Lotta had torn apart the loaves and had stuffed a mix of venison and rabbit into them to make a sandwich of sorts. One for her, and one for her mentor for their breakfast.

It wasn’t long before she arrived at the usual meeting spot for apprentice and mentor. She found a rock to sit on as she waited for the scarred coyote to arrive. She wondered what the archer had in mind for their lesson that day. Would they be sparring again? Or would it be a political lesson? Pack culture? They hadn’t done any basic survival stuff in a while. Teagan munched thoughtfully on her sandwich, enjoying the warm starch against the savory cuts of meat. She hoped Sylvie would arrive soon. She didn’t want her to miss how tasty Jonas’ first batch was!

Template: Hilli / Andi || Image: dani.Co
Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
The Brotherhood: Master of Bladed Weapons
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:03 pm

It was still a bit odd for Sylvie to have responsibilities other than the work she did taking care of the Avalon with Julien's help. She was more than willing to make time for Teagan, though, and happy to mentor her. Julien seemed happy with the idea too, especially since he was shooing her off the ship as she tried to remind him of the extra chores he would have to do since he was making her leave before they were done.

"And don't forget-"

"Yes, I know," he told her, and his tone was only a little hesitant as he interrupted her. "A-and I'll put all the ropes away, and reorganize the storage closet." Julien gave her a shy smile and pushed her arm again, herding her towards the gangplank. Sylvie sighed and headed down with her bow and quiver of arrows, as well as a dagger at her hip. Her plan for the day was hunting small game, and she figured that they could donate it to the pack stores once it was dressed.

She trekked across the pack lands to the training grounds and found that her joints were liking the warming weather much better than the cold winter. She had spent much of it aching when between trips to Morty for something to help. When she reached the training grounds, she found Teagan waiting for her.

"Hello! I hope I'm not late," she smiled at Teagan. "I thought we could do a little hunting this morning - sneaking up on whatever small game we find. Oh is that bread from Jonas?" Sylvie asked, changing topics mid-breath. The bread Jonas made was the best she'd tasted.
Sylvie Agnès

POSTED: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:42 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 320 ]
Sorry for the wait!

She didn’t have to wait long for her mentor to arrive. When Teagan spied the coyote woman in the distance, she offered a smile through her mouthful of food. She moved to wave, only to realize that, by doing so, she’d risk dropping one of the makeshift sandwiches. Realizing her dilemma, the Lotta weighed her options before decideing to wave her half-eaten meal at Sylvie. The older woman would surely understand what the Stryder intended with the odd greeting.

The girl took a few more bites as she waited for Sylvie to cross the remaining distance between them. Her tail swished rhythmically behind her once the archer came within normal talking range. Sylvie apologized before explaining what she had in store for their lesson for the day. When her attention became distracted by the other loaf of bread in Teagan’s hand, the princess offered it up to the adult. “Yeah! They’re from his first batch this morning. I got you some meat from Isaac’s shop too.” She gestured to the tender pieces of jerky she had sandwiched in the middle of the loaf. “Tastes pretty good if you eat it all together,” she remarked, taking another bit of her own.

Teagan hopped off the rock she had been sitting on. “How do you—” She began, covering her full mouth with the back of her hand that held the remains of her breakfast. She swallowed and finished, “—want me to catch it?” Teagan scarfed down the rest of her sandwich, her canary gaze eyeing the bow and dagger equipped to the older woman. She knew better than to hope to be able to handle an actual, real weapon just yet. But, that didn’t stop the little knight-want-to-be from hoping. She brushed her hands together to remove any remaining pieces of food from them, eager to start her lesson for the day.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat May 21, 2016 12:12 am

OOC: Dx sorrysorrysorry!

IC:
"Oh, I see," Sylvie said with interest and accepted the food from Teagan. She took a bite and then nodded; the combination was good and she would be doing something like it again for sure. For a moment as she chewed, Sylvie wondered if different spiced meats would taste just as good. She would have to experiment.

"I'm going to have to see what different spiced meats taste good like this. I'll even share if you help me cook," Sylvie offered. She wasn't sure if Teagan would be interested in cooking at all, but she thought maybe food would be a good lure. In Sylvie's experience, adolescents always seemed to be hungry, probably because they were still growing. Sylvie gave her protege an apologetic smile when she asked about how she was to catch the prey they found and eyed Sylvie's bow.

"Our next lesson can be more about the bow and arrow," she said after swallowing another bite of her meat-and-bread meal. "For this lesson, I figured we would focus more on stalking. If we get close enough, I'll shoot it and we can clean it and donate it to the pack storage - or not. I'm good either way." Sylvie shrugged and took another bite of her food.

"Unless you wanted to just skip to some archery lessons?" She really didn't mind either way, but if Teagan was going to be doing archery, Sylvie wanted it to be in a controlled setting with large, unmoving targets rather than at small game that would probably be zipping away as quickly as possible.
Sylvie Agnès

POSTED: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 384 ]
Perfectly fine~<333 I’m slow too!

The Lotta waited with quiet eagerness to see what her teacher thought of the makeshift meal the girl had created. Teagan chewed, watching the coyote Cavalier out of the corner of her eye to not make it obvious that she was interested to see what the older woman thought of the sandwich; the bread, the choice of meat, the combination of the two. There was little else that had come to mind when making it. Teagan liked meat, and putting it with bread helped fill the stomach. Vegetables, fruit, spices? Those weren’t something the Stryder youth would have known to add. She was better at being at consuming the final product rather than concocting it.

Her tail swayed a little as it seemed Sylvie found the sandwich pleasant enough to continue eating it. Teagan nodded in agreement to the archer’s statement, she too, curious to see what other meats would taste good with Jonas’ delectable baked goods. When Sylvie offered to share her finds, Teagan quickly swallowed her food and gave the older woman a toothy grin. “Only if I get to sample it as we go!” She laughed. It was a typical child response, to want to eat the meal as they were preparing it.

Teagan’s ears fell a bit when her mentor saw through the child’s longing look and cut her hopes before they could get too big. The princess shrugged it off though with a nonchalant smile. She’d known it was a longshot, and, so, she wasn’t completely devastated by the denial of such a lesson. The Lotta listened to what Sylvie had in mind for their lesson for the day. She nodded, acknowledging she understood the layout of the plan, but, when the Corpo suddenly changed the direction of the conversation, Teagan visibly perked up in attention.

There was a gasp. “Really?!” Her smile spread widely from ear to ear and her tail wagged excitedly behind her. “Yes, please! Yes!” If she were a pup, she might have jumped on Sylvie in her joy. “Archery lessons! I’d like to do archery, please!” She clapped her hands together happily and edged closer to Sylvie, her hands reaching out to grasp her teacher’s arm so that they could go to the training grounds faster.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:00 am

"Of course," Sylvie replied with a nod. She often sampled her cooking as she was cooking it. After all, it was the best way for her to tell if she needed to add more spices to whatever it was that she was making.

The reaction to the offer of archery lessons was exactly what Sylvie was expecting and she grinned. Indi had shown an interest in archery from a very young age, and Sylvie was happy to teach her to use her favorite weapon. Daggers were good, but she found that she liked archery better now because it would avoid close combat, and it was also useful for hunting. Anything with multiple uses was good to learn.

"Alright, I'll let you use my bow," Sylvie said and stood as she finished off her sandwich. "We'll find a good target for you and start with the basics of target shooting." Eventually, if Teagan found that she liked it, she would progress to moving targets, and perhaps even to archery on horseback, although she would probably have to learn that from Lola. Sylvie wasn't much good at it and by then she would mostly be useful for critiquing form.

Sylvie lead the way to the part of the training grounds that had targets and selected one that would mean that arrows would go sailing away from anything that mattered if Teagan missed it.

"This one looks good, I think," Sylvie said. "Alright, so remember what we talked about when you were younger?" She knocked an arrow and pulled it back while aiming towards the target. Her movements were smooth but slow enough that she thought Teagan would be able to follow everything. Then she released the arrow and it hit the target with a thud. She repeated the demonstration once more with a second arrow before holding her bow out to Teagan with a smile.
Sylvie Agnès

POSTED: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:32 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 602 ]

Feel free to PP any other mistakes Teagan might have done~<3

Teagan pumped a fist and whispered an excited, Yes!” They were going to do some real training, and, from the sounds of it, using real weapons. She couldn’t have been happier in that moment. No more watch-me demonstrations, no more ask-and-answer hypothetical scenarios, they were going to do the physical portion of it today! Had she been Indi, Teagan might have skipped around or been more vocal about her graduation from watching to doing coming true. As it were though, the child merely offered a contained nod to Sylvie, along with a quiet smile and a tail wag.

She followed after her mentor with an extra bounce in her step, and waited patiently as she watched the coyote woman adjust the area to be better suited for a beginner. The hard, straw target that was selected for Teagan’s training was one that was noticeably away from anything else. Nothing but dirt and grass stood behind it, and, if her arrows were to go wide, there was nothing that could be damaged from the girl’s inexperience. It had been a detail the Lotta had quickly picked up on, but, in her excitement to use the bow, she hadn’t cared. The only thing she was interested in was learning how to use the weapon with her own hands.

The Stryder stood off to the side as Sylvie positioned herself, notching an arrow to demonstrate how the process was to be done. “Yes, Ma’am!” Teagan chimed when a question was asked of her. Her canary eyes were glued onto the movements of the archer’s hands, the way they moved, their position, how they held the arrow and the bow. Sylvie’s draw was slow and steady so that her student would be able to understand the basics without worry of missing something along the way.

When the arrow was released, the princess’ gaze followed it like a cat with a feather toy. The arrow hit dead center, sinking into the target’s hard material from the force of Sylvie’s pull. Teagan turned her attention back to her teacher with a look of idolism. Someday, she hoped to be able to be such a fantastic marksman. Another arrow was sent down range—once more, hitting its mark with ease—before the bow was turned over to the younger female.

Teagan took it gingerly; as if afraid that she might break the light material if she grasped it too hard. She positioned her feet as she had seen Sylvie had done, and reached for an arrow. She fumbled with getting the arrow to notch properly, but, after a bit of fiddling, managed to get it onto the string. The Lotta took a breath as she pulled the arrow back on the string. For someone who had never made such a motion before, the resistance she felt was heavier than she’d expected. Coupled with the fact that Teagan was afraid she might break the string, her draw was weak, and showed when she let the arrow loose. The projectile tumbled through the air before landing pathetically on the ground only a few feet from the inexperienced archer.

“Well…that didn’t work out well,” she deadpanned. The child stared at the arrow for a moment, astonished by how different the result had been between her and Sylvie. After it registered that the arrow was, indeed, lying uselessly on the ground in front of her, she let out a nervous laugh. Shaking her head, she looked up to her mentor for guidance on what she’d done wrong.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:14 pm

OOC: feel free to PP Sylvie telling her to pull back a bit harder if you'd like!

IC:
From the start, Sylvie guessed that the first arrow Teagan attempted to shoot would likely end in failure. Her own first attempt went nowhere and it was often the case when she was teaching beginners to shoot. It just took a little while to get used to the feel. She watched the slightly incorrect angle that the arrow had as Teagan pulled back and the fact that she didn't pull hard enough; these were both things that she needed to feel so that she could correct them, so Sylvie did not say anything right away until she watched the arrow land on the ground ahead of them.

"That's alright, happens to almost everyone I teach," Sylvie said with a smile. "I did that plenty of times when I was first learning." It wasn't just the first time; it happened sporadically for the first few weeks until she managed to make the right corrections each time until they became habit.

She stepped forward and picked up the arrow, figuring they may as well just try again with the same one and then she held it out to Teagan to take back.

"So, when you knock the arrow on the string, do so right about here." Her tone was patient and warm as she pointed to a spot on the string that was slightly worn. "You had it a bit too high, so the arrow was pointing down a little. This string is kind of old, so you can see where I've put the arrow. Go ahead and use that as a guide." Once the arrow was knocked again, Sylvie took a step back. "You'll also need to pull back much harder. Don't worry about breaking the string. They all break eventually, and that'll just mean that I can teach you how to restring it for when you have your own bow. The harder you pull back, the further and faster the arrow will go." It would be easier for Sylvie to teach Teagan if their size difference was not so great, but Sylvie wouldn't be able to reach around her to hold her hands over Teagan's to help her pull back.

"This time, pull back and hold for a moment and I'll let you know if you should pull back more." That would have to do.
Sylvie Agnès

POSTED: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:13 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 450 ]

I don’t think I’ve ever forced a character to make rookie mistakes before xD This is so weird!

Sylvie reassured the Lotta, easily writing off the mistake. It made Teagan feel more comfortable about the whole ordeal, particularly, when the coyote admitted to having made similar mistakes in the past. It made things relatable, as well as helped the girl to see that her problems were not exclusive to her alone. They were common mistakes, and thus, would be easy to remedy with a bit of practice and know how. “That’s reassuring,” she said in a breath of relief.

The experienced archer strode forward to retrieve Teagan’s wayward arrow, returning to the wolfdog’s side with what looked to be the expectation that Teagan try again. The Stryder took the projectile, listening as Sylvie pointed out the mistake the apprentice had made. She nodded, accepting the cause for her error. She followed how Sylvie instructed her for the proper placement of the arrow. She eyed the worn part of the string that Sylvie had shown her before positioning the nock so that it straddled the string and was generally level.

When the adult took a step back, Teagan took it as her cue to try again. As she’d begun to get her feet situated once more, Sylvie made mention of the strength of Teagan’s draw as well. The Lotta nodded once more and began to pull. It was hard to get over the worry that the string might break, and Sylvie offered a firm command to encourage Teagan that she could go further. She held the position longer than what should have been necessary, and her draw hand was pulled back to her shoulder instead anchoring near her face. So focused on getting the draw and the arrow’s position right, she’d forgotten where Sylvie had pulled the string back to.

The beginner could feel her arms begin to tremble from their inexperience in being used in such a way and for such a long time, but, she pushed through it. Closing one eye so she could focus on the target better, she positioned the arrowhead and let it fly.

Unlike the previous attempt, this one actually sent the arrow sailing through the sky. However, it still failed to hit its intended target. The arrow head dug into the dirt at the target’s base, and though it wasn’t a winning shot, Teagan was happy none the less to have gotten the arrow down range and closer to the target than she had in her previous try. Her canary gaze moved to look at Sylvie once more, waiting for any tips or changes she should make to better her technique. “How was that one?” She asked, a little proud at her progress.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:08 pm

OOC: haha I bet! Learning is fun xD

IC:
Teagan accepted the pointers easily, at least in an outward manner, and Sylvie was happy. Not all of the canines she had taught archery to had been so willing to admit to making mistakes, nor had those canines gone on to become good archers. It wasn't fun to make mistakes or feel like they were bad at something, but it was the only way to learn.

The second attempt was already better than the first from the beginning, but there were a couple more mistakes that Sylvie was expecting to see. They were more common ones that it seemed that everyone made, and Sylvie waited again until Teagan let the arrow fly before saying anything other than that she should pull harder on the arrow. The string certainly had plenty of shots left in it, but she decided she might replace it after this anyway so that Teagan was less likely to break it during their next lesson, if she wanted to continue learning.

The arrow actually flew towards the target this time, and it was this improvement that Sylvie wanted Teagan to experience. Just a couple of adjustments made that much of a difference already.

"That one was much better," Sylvie said. "I'm guessing your arms feel tired, though?" It had taken her a while to aim and then release the arrow, and since she wasn't used to it, Sylvie guessed her arms were suffering a bit. "I would also try to keep both of your eyes open, which I know might feel weird. For some, it actually makes aiming easier." Sylvie wasn't sure why it made a difference for some but not others, though.

"So this time, try keeping the hand you're pulling back with even with your face instead of your shoulder so you can release the arrow a little faster. This way, your arms won't shake. It'll make your shooting more accurate, too." The little bit of movement could make a big difference as to whether the arrow actually hit the target, or hit near the center of the target.
Sylvie Agnès

Dead Topics