The Humble Luminary

IC join thread

POSTED: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 pm

OOC: Northeastern Coyote (50%) Border Collie (25%) Eastern timber wolf (25%)
Class: Sciens
cNPCs: none
Other NPCs: Mother (Seris Galena) and father (Walter Van-Chek)

Inferni-only response please and thank you. Ps and Qs are real.

If Virue could have changed one thing about his experience living on his own, it would have been to visit more places such as this. The forest, which seemed to be nothing but an endless wave of trees and foliage. As he walked through the expanse of trees, he observed a splurge of moss creeping over some rocks. This cluster of jagged stone rested on the ground to his left. Or was it his right? He could never remember. He felt the damp earth cool his paws under the dense layering of pine needles strewn over the floor of the woodland. The smell of the pine gave him comfort, although the smell was odd, it made him appreciate the new start, or at least his attempt at one. He closed his eyes as he walked through the forest, taking extra care not to make any noise as he did so. He had counted every stream he had crossed since waking up that morning. Twelve small and one large, the latter only being traversed moments before.

He knew where he was going, and somehow, he bet his dad did too. “Yes sir.” He said with mock seriousness, his eyes were now open, scanning the area ahead. “No sir.” He tilted his head upward, to the shaking leaves and sky, smiling. He knew very well that no one was watching or listening, but it felt oh so liberating to poke fun at his father's ever-apparent military-esque parenting. He bounced up and down on his feet briefly and quite similarly to an infant, but he felt inclined to do so. It was moments like these that made him wish he could stay alone forever; it always seemed more plausible that way. No judgement, no confrontation. Just himself and his mind. His mind, which had proven to be his only companion in his solemn travels.

But interactions with others always presented comfort, stability and an irrefutably greater chance of survival. He wondered when he uttered a word to another creature last, a syllable even. ‘Was it that bear I escaped a while back?’ he decided that it must have been, chuckling as he recalled the time he climbed a large rock form so sheer that his pursuer failed to follow suit. Adieu! he shouted rather tantalizingly at the creature who was still swearing profusely and clawing at the rock with incense. The trick was more pad, less claw, but Virue didn't bother telling him that.

He realizes it could have been a female bear actually. But he had already been over-thinking things, which he did a lot. Virue always thought more was the best alternative to less, this, of course, was only to justify his rampant thoughts. He pulled his head low to the ground, suddenly a sensation reached his nose. The smell hit him hard, like most things that hit him at all. Inferni territory, which oddly beckoned like a long-lost friend. Calling him from afar. Coyotes, if he ever did smell one, or many for that matter. He wondered what he smelled like: Did he smell like a coyote? Alternatively he may smell like a dog as his grandfather once was? Or worse; he may possess the scent similar to that of a wolf. Virue had fret over this, he had been worried that his grandmother’s scent had somehow proved dominant over his more primary heritage, and stuck out like a sore thumb. “It's only a quarter” he would remind himself whenever he felt uneasy about it. ‘Half ‘yote’ he reassured himself, ‘that's enough’.

To make things worse, the border was lined with skulls arranged carefully in the grass and leaves, serving as a warning to those who do not belong. They confronted him like a line of warriors, side-by-side, an unwavering phalanx before him.“Wolf skulls,” he said nervously, “they line their territory with wolf skulls.” He shuddered at the scare-tactic, but he knew he had to be brave, this was a moment in his life that called for it desperately; he had to have courage here. He lifted his head to the blue sky and howls. A loner’s howl which was like most, full of solace, like a self-alloted lullaby. Then he waited, his ears twitching with nervous energy.
Last edited by Virue on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gotta gotta be down because I want it all

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 pm

See galleries for credit.

Already that day Vesper had welcomed another into the fold -- and so she was not expecting another. When the coyote cry echoed from the forest, the Aquila was quick to get back to her feet and rush out toward the border again -- announcing with a yipping cry that the stranger would be attended to soon.

By the time she approached the borders, one of the curious young ravens had alighted on one of the skulls and was peering at the stranger with beady dark eyes. It chirred when it spotted Vesper and flapped to her, landing on her shoulders; a comfortable weight. She shook her head and looked the young newcomer over, her tail raised.

What do you want? asked the Aquila plainly, though she had half an idea. The more that she looked him over, though, the more she realized that he reminded her terribly of Asher. He had the same hints of collie blood, the freckled snout, the fluffy coat, and could have passed off as a relative of her late friend. She frowned slightly but merely waited for an answer.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:18 pm

As he waited for a response from someone, Virue’s thoughts had aroused a feeling of uncontrollable angst. When a crow landed before him on one of the skulls, he was surprised at first. Virue wondered if these coyotes had somehow tamed a bird, but he thought that this couldn't be true. ‘It's wild’ he reasoned, ‘must be’. Just then a cry had been let loose upon the sky. Several moments passed as Virue tried to understand what the yips might mean, which he hadn't done in a long time. ‘Maybe somebody is coming to see me?’. As soon as he finished that thought, someone had arrived. She was an older coyote, who looked like she could have passed off as a wolf easily. Virue gave a sigh of relief; she was allowed in, he must surely fit the bill as well, at least visually. Her coat was of an odd tint of grey, which Virue couldn't quite name. His greeter looked bored, as if he was already too insignificant to bother with.

The crow spotted the coyote and landed on her shoulders like some type of “backup”. Her head shakes as her set of eyes join the crow's and looked at him for a moment before she spoke. “What do you want?” She said simply. Then a slight frown crossed her lips as her eyes scanned him, it seemed as though she was looking at someone else. This look was more of hurt than anything else, and was interpreted as a show of disdain. He stood there, frozen, frozen in the moment, the question, the bird, the frown. He went over all of it in his head, probably looking quite weird. “A-are you okay?” he asked without thinking. He regretted it the moment it escaped him, but he couldn’t take it back. His ears must have dropped without his knowledge, because his head seemed warmer.

"I'm sorry.” he insisted, “I didn't mean to impose…”. He said as his head began to hang. Virue then exhaled in a calm manner and quickly lifted his head back to eye-level. “I want to help, that's what I want.” He stated with a small burst of confidence. “I want to join, if that doesn't inconvenience you, or any other members, that is.” He finishes trailing off slightly as he does so.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:15 pm

The young hybrid stared at her in silence for a moment before his ears dropped and he asked her if she was okay. The question caught her off guard, and her own ear twitched before she allowed a half-smile to cross her scarred muzzle; the expression didn't quite reach her cold blue eyes.

It's all right. I have a lot on my mind right now. She glanced skyward and flicked her tail. I don't know if you saw the red star falling or noticed the earthquakes in the area... We're trying to cope with the aftershocks and the waves right now. It was half true, anyway; she didn't want to reveal to a stranger what had truly been on her mind moments ago.

Getting his nerve back, the male lifted his head back up and stated that he wanted to join. Nodding, Vesper glanced critically at him then asked, We can use more bodies. What is your name, kid? And what would make you an asset to us -- what skills do you have?

She sniffed the air, then smiled; she'd been so distracted she almost hadn't noticed. You aren't a shifter, are you?

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Virue was instantly relaxed when the unnamed coyote waved off his “slippage” of words. He didn't quite understand why he said what he had, it may have been what was going through his subliminal thoughts at the time.

The coyote mentions the ball of fire which fell from the sky less than a week ago. He knew very well what happened that day; he happened to have been at a cliff-side when the ground had begun to shake. It was the near-death encounter which had compelled him to turn his life around, and make some allies.

He listened to the coyote again as she asked a two-part question. The first part: What is your name, kid? Easy answer, or was it? It took Virue a moment of contemplation to remember what his name was. It just wasn't vital information when he was alone , and it had done him no favours in the past.

"My name is...Virue, yeah, Virue, or Vir for short."

But the second part. That was the question that would make or break him. It was casually woven in with the first question, like it wasn't of too much importance. Despite this, Virue knew fully well what it meant; how will you help? He had mulled over his skills during his travels and realized he had never been someone who would “boast” as he saw it.

“I'm agile, and I quite literally run for sport in my spare time. I have exceptional eyesight like most, but I do notice a great deal more than others might and I have an excellent memory. For instance, you have an odd facial quirk going on, where your eyes don't match the rest of your expression. There are twelve decorated skulls in my sight, and twenty-eight undecorated. I also crossed thirteen streams on the way here.” he said, nervously explaining himself.

Additionally, I'm pretty quiet when I want to be, for sneaking around I mean. I think I have a light step…oh! I also used to spot prey for my father when we'd hunt together, that must be useful right? I'm also a problem solver and I'm real into strategy.” he sat down, exhausted from his bragging. “I can learn to do anything that'll help I guess; I'm quite observant. Sorry, I don't know much about working in groups...maybe these skills will help me do something?”

“Shifter? Ohhhh, you mean like a-a, what's the correct term?” he paused, thinking for a moment before giving up. “No, I'm not, obviously. I can't remember the last time I may have seen one, they were a rare occurrence in Mer Bleue.”
Last edited by Virue on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:48 am

All right, Virue is accepted! You're free to start threads in Inferni, etc. :> We can continue this thread or end it; up to you!

The small hybrid pondered over her question then wasted little more time in rattling off his skills. He was talkative and quirky, and though Vesper's scarred brow lifted, she made no comment. His ability to count was intriguing, though; she didn't think she knew how many skulls lay along the border.

She smirked again when he finished, sitting, and shrugged -- quite a feat for a four-legged canine. You sound like you'd make a good scout, she remarked. His attention to detail and speed would lend itself well to spying missions, she thought.

Interest flickered across her narrow face when he confirmed he wasn't Luperci. Mer Bleue, she mused. I haven't heard that name in a long time. Her tail waved; the motion distracted the raven on her back, which flew off toward one of the skulls to perch again. I was born there too. It wasn't until I came here that, ah. She frowned then shrugged again. I was turned into a Luperci -- a shifter, I mean. Other packs might hold that against you, but I promise nobody will here -- or they'll answer to me.

Vesper grinned, showing teeth yellowing with age. You sound good enough for Inferni, kiddo. Why don't you come with me? She turned back toward the territory and darted off, challenging him to use some of his alleged speed.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:48 am

Welcome to Inferni!

Ranks · Website · Wiki · News

Pride by Titmouse!
  • Ranks! Remember: Inferni’s ranks are based on character behavior and activity. Read over our Rank Information for hierarchy information. The Rank Advancement page details how you can go about getting promoted! o:
  • What Else? Wondering what else to do? Check the website! We have games and baubles galore!
  • Confused? If you're confused about anything regarding Inferni or being a member of the clan, please PM the pack leaders!
Inferni's Featured Adoptable Character!

Join the Coyotes
Inferni @ 'Souls Wiki

Inferni is a coyote-only clan first established in 2002. With a flexible hierarchy and tons of co-ranks, Inferni's ranking system and coyote culture are unique amongst 'Souls wolf packs. If you're interested in joining Inferni, we'd love to have you!

Inferni
OOC Account
Raze

POSTED: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 pm

"Luperci." He repeated to himself, determined to commit the word to his boundless memory, which seemed more like a dictionary at this point in his life. Noticing the coyote had procured a head start, consequently, he gave chase. As he accelerated, he celebrated his acceptance with a quick and jubilant nod of the head, accompanied by a smile.

This female had fascinated Virue. Her scars; what was her story? The way she carried herself spoke volumes, yet she retained an outwardly amicable nature. Although, Virue knew getting her upset would be a bad idea, based on her wary presence.

"What, no warm-up?" Virue called facetiously, as he matched his speed with hers. "What's your name by the way? Don't worry, I won't forget it." He asked, feeling as though he may be an annoyance at that point, and didn't want to push too far.

He continued his questioning. "And one more thing, where will I be staying? Have you guys found any good spots for a den?"
Last edited by Virue on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:41 am

The coymutt scampered after her, and Vesper let out a hollow laugh at his quip before flicking the dark tip of her tail near his freckled muzzle. I didn't think you needed it, she mocked back, then slowed long enough to glance at him as he asked for her name. Vesper.

She trotted through the grass and nodded at his question. There are two main areas that we den, she replied. Most of our coyotes dwell in the mansion, which is out in the forest -- she gestured with her muzzle -- but if you don't like human dwellings then that's probably out. Grimwell Caverns would be easier for you to navigate, no doors and thinsgs; it's a series of caves near the bay. Most are quite dry. She knew that she'd felt far more comfortable in the caverns than other places when she first joined, even if she'd eventually moved to the schoolhouse -- an area that she failed to mention, if only because she still thought of it as a place for family. I can lead you to them and help you find one.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

Dead Topics