three bags full

POSTED: Mon May 09, 2016 3:47 am

300+ Multiple welcome! Feel free to assume your character has been present to help herd the sheep. :3

See galleries for credit.

The young ewe bleated and squirmed on the ground, and Vicira grimaced as she settled weight on it to restrain it, her hands wrapped around the shears. In hindsight, perhaps she should have chosen one of the older sheep for a first shear -- but Vici was as inexperienced as the animal roped and pinned beneath her; this was her first time doing this without her mother.

It was a strange and unpleasant thought, and she missed Myrika greatly. Slowly she and Cartier began to take a lead over the horses and livestock, filling in the empty position, and it was especially important she got these sheep shorn. Summer would be here soon (even if one hardly got a glimpse of sun for all the rainclouds lately), and the sheep wouldn't do well with their full wool coats in such hot weather. The corral seemed full of their fluffy bodies.

Hold still, Vicira muttered to the sheep, trying to keep her calm, as she snipped away at the wool. Her cuts were jagged, and she needed to trim the area again when she realized she hadn't gotten close enough to the skin -- though she went tentatively, afraid of nicking the animal. For the older sheep this experience was almost pleasant, but she didn't want this ewe's memory of being shorn to be a painful one, or she'd be harder to wrangle next time -- if she remembered.

Most of the others had, she thought -- Farai, too. The burro watched his flock from outside the corral now, while the sheep within milled about. The pen looked almost crowded, Vici thought; she knew Inferni's livestock had gone almost unchecked lately, and there were several babies. They had enough of an excess to trade away soon -- perhaps she'd talk to Laurel or other aspiring Tradespeople about it.

The thought distracted her, and the ewe got a leg free of her arm. She cursed quietly and all but put it in a headlock to keep it still, wool sitting like cotton around her ankles on the leather sheet.

their lips the secret kept, if in ashes the fire-seed slept

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Tue May 10, 2016 12:16 am

OOC: Hey, 'sup. I'm tired.

354 words.

IC:

Virue was on a hill, overlooking the sheep. His eyes masterfully watching over the animals, which (at this distance) appeared to be miniature clouds with legs. His heart swelled with pride and joy as he did what his forefathers must've done many years ago. Although this was done in the presence of human masters; but he was the captain of his own ship, the sails slung open, or snapped closed, at his whim. He took a deep breath. The weather had been improving, and so had his confidence around his newfound pack. It had been a month, over a month, and he was improving his interactions with others every day.

He saw Vicira a good distance away, struggling with a lamb as she clumsily rid the animal of it's wool. He felt like he should try to strike up some conversation, get her more relaxed.

His eyes seemed to buzz with energy as he began running towards her, his legs skritting forward in rapid succession. White-brown blurs of excitement. His collie instincts kicked in as he spotted a group of sheep straying from the group. He let loose a bevy of warning barks as diverged upon and circled the group. He stopped running around and stood stationary multiple times, expertly pushing the sheep back into formation. Feeling proud, he gave a charismatic bow of his head as he trotted towards Vicira.

Virue hadn't talked to her much after offering to help herd the sheep. He didn't know much about her, save for the fact that she was Vesper’s daughter. He could almost see it before he was told; something about the way she carried herself. He now approached her, his body language faltering slightly, becoming less pronounced as he came close. His ears did their signature dance atop his head as he spoke. “I would offer help, but I don't have arms.” He noticed her struggle with the cutting. “It must be tough to learn to do what you're doing,” He said in a reassuring tone. “you're doing alright.”
coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Wed May 11, 2016 12:25 am

(000) Hello! Don't mind Izual, he's mean.

Herding wasn’t much more than chasing sheep around the field for hours. He had been panting, tired out from getting every last one of them in there. One Coyote on four legs, the rest of them on two. The sheep ran with them, but some of them had been stubborn. At one point, Izual considered just picking up the stragglers and draping them over his shoulders to get them in the paddock.

When the sheep were in the pen, he left his comrades to get a drink of water. He needed it after all that chasing. Vicira had been the first to go in, saying something about her mother teaching her how to shear. Izual wasn’t too sure what the process was, and hadn’t stuck around to find out.

Yet, when he was on his way back, he eyed Vicira in the field struggling with a sheep and the four-legged Coyote at her side being no help to her. He was yammering on about not having arms to help her - that was just an excuse not to get his paws dirty - and Izual rolled his eyes.

He caught the tail end of their conversation as he approached the outside of the fence. ”But I can,” he responded in a sing-song voice, ducking between the fence slacks and stepping into the field. ”Show me what you need me to do.”

I looked through your frame
Izual Massacre
and watched death go by
Loners
Hybrid
Sammiie
Luperci
LET OUT THE BEAST

POSTED: Sat May 14, 2016 10:08 pm

300+ Thanks for joining, guys!

One of the new Sciens began to yap and rush among the sheep in the corral -- spurred on, Vici assumed, by either overeagerness or instinct. She twitched her ears back at the barking and grunted again as the young sheep struggled, looking up only as more wool fell.

She snorted at Virue's reassurance, though the cool look in her eyes faltered. Coming from someone else, she might have taken it to heart -- but the male was only trying to be nice. Perhaps the Magister thought that action over empty words would have been more helpful, but Izual stepped in with an offer to assist.

She shrugged and tried to keep the ewe from cutting itself on the blade. It lay on its back, one of its hooves gripped in hand, its neck slightly wedged between her legs. Turning it over to get at the sides of the hind legs was proving to be a struggle, but she only remembered what she'd seen when Myrika did it; she supposed it should, in theory, be easier with help.

I want to cut this next, she said, turning the sheep slightly and indicating its haunch. Could you hold her similar to how I am? I don't want her on her feet in case she gets traction. The last thing they needed was the blade slipping -- though Vicira didn't think it'd be a total loss, if all the wool wasn't ruined by blood. The herd could use a few culls. Or on her side is easier, she mused aloud, if you can help pin her down without crushing her. From her last unfortunate meeting with Izual, she thought he needed the warning.

Vicira set the shears aside and held onto the sheep's neck and head so that Izual could step in. First time on my own, she said -- addressing Virue. Helpful or not now, he had been an immense help during the herding, and as a Magister she shouldn't be unkind to him. We'll know if I'm doing all right once we finish this one and see how awfully patchy she is. She grinned at him. I should've proably started with one of the older sheep -- they're used to this.

Last edited by Vicira Tears on Mon May 16, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Sun May 15, 2016 5:22 pm

OOC: Mmkay. Izual is a cool character by the way...adds variety to things. Not everyone can be Mr. Nice, right?

628 words. Solid post.

IC:

Virue had fallen silent, at first intently watching the two working away. Then his mind wandered and soon, he was staring into the distance; his mind nimbly racing through a dozen things at once. He was a creature of habit; regular physical conditioning in the morning, intellectual exercises in the afternoon, and occasionally, these sporadic episodes .

He was looking at a treeline. Something so simple, or was it? What may have been the simplest of things to one, was nothing short of a miraculous entity to Virue.

Birds -- Six birds -- leaves, so many leaves, how many? Who knows -- the wind is swaying the leaves -- It's coming from the east...no, west-- the sky is an astonishing blue, mom said my eyes looked like that...Mom was so beautiful, Should have brought her wi - then he was cut off and pulled out of his daydream by a voice that was addressing him.

‘Huh?!’

He snapped his head back towards the source of the sound. Back to Vicira and the lanky coyote who was helping her. They worked, each adjacent to the other; beautiful grotesquery. Months ago, his mother had told him stories about crocodiles -- massive lizards -- which lurked in the area's marshes, and gobbled up any little cubs which strayed too far from their home. Izual towered over Virue, and the small hybrid wondered for a moment if he looked appetizing. Izual’s physical appearance frightened him, much like these stories. His features spoke of wickedness; his sinous jaw and jutting snout, protruding from his scant face and his messy hair splayed across his forehead, making way for his lambent-orange eyes. It got to him, shook him about, told him something was lurking within that man. Something he didn't want to discover.

“What? Oh, sorry.”
He paused, trying to think back to what she had said, even though he wasn't listening. Somehow, he retrieved the sentence, as if his ears had stored it for him to use later. “This is your first time? I guess you're not alone anymore though.” He said, referring more to Izual than himself. He felt like he should leave, he felt stupid staying and watching being of no further use. Not to mention it looked like he had just put them on ignore, which only added to the discomfort. “This one may be patchy. But what about the next one, or the next one? When you get the hang of it, you'll be golden.” He replied, snickering as he said “golden”. Maybe it wasn't the best choice for a word, but it had a humorous ring to it that lightened the mood. “It’s probably better to do the hardest first, it seems like a healthy practice.” he said, responding to Vicira’s logic with some reasoning of his own. He didn't want to offend anyone, so he followed by saying “Of course, I could be wrong.”

He sat on his rear and brought his right leg up to reach behind his ear. Virue scratched at the problem area with rapid movement of his paw, bringing out a sequential sigh of relief. Setting his leg back down, he asked a question out of curiosity. “So what kind of cool stuff are we gonna make with their wool?” A legitimate question, in which he expected a legitimate answer. He grew up in a place where farm animals didn't exist and luperci were a rare occurrence. This made him curious about the ways of the “new world” culture which his father had scoffed about. He wasn't scoffing, only watching with enlightenment as he was shown extraordinary things every day.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Wed May 25, 2016 7:54 am

(000) Thank you! Just had to add that, since he’ll probably remain mean throughout this thread and I didn’t want you to personally feel bad or anything :)

Izual moved around the sheep, calculating where it would be the easiest to grab its legs and hold it down. Vicira at first instructed him to hold the sheep as she was, but Izual had already objected to this in his mind. When the sheep was turned to her side, Izual knelt on the ground and pushed some of his weight on the animal’s legs while holding them in place between his fingers. His hands were strong, as he thought, so the lamb shouldn’t be able to get away even if she balked.

”Go ahead, I got her,” Izual murmured.

With orange eyes drifting from the sheep momentarily, he followed the sharp, shining blade to the fluffy fur on the sheep’s flank. His eyes craved to see blood, but even he knew that wasn’t what they wanted. That would be a bad thing that would require more work that he didn’t want to get stuck doing. So, instead, he held the animal’s legs firmly and echoed, ”Yeah, what kind of ‘cool stuff’ are we gonna make with the wool?” Crafting wasn’t Izual’s line of business, so despite borderline mocking the other, he was genuinely curious as well.

Izual Massacre
and watched death go by
Loners
Hybrid
Sammiie
Luperci
LET OUT THE BEAST

POSTED: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:47 pm

300+

She began work with the ewe when Izual pressed his hands on its legs. Muscle rippled under his dusty-colored coat, and he leaned on the sheep as if it were an effortless process, his voice low as he assured Vicira that he had control of the animal. Her ears twisting back, she nodded and began to shear—careful to avoid Izual's hands when the blade came close. Wool came off in small sheets, falling onto the leather, and Vici made small gestures and muttered directions to ensure they got the entire side.

Somewhere during that process, the little collie-coyote had snapped to after an apparent daydream. Fighting off a smirk, the grey coywolf glanced up at him and nodded. I suppose that's right, she responded coolly. Next one will be a breeze, don't you think? She addressed Izual with this, her blue eyes flickering almost mischievously to his gleaming, fire-colored ones. It was a dangerous glance, betraying little of her intentions for trying to coax a (likely sarcastic) agreement from him.

She picked up a clump of wool from the sheep's shoulder and set it on the leather; the sheet would make it easier to collect later, though the wind blew some smaller tufts into the grass. We'll need to comb and scour it first, she said, but if our craftspeople can manage, we can use the fibers for clothing and blankets. She glanced up and gestured for Izual to move the sheep onto its other side; the creature, either resigned, exhausted, or paralyzed with fear, no longer put up as much of a fight. We use it a lot for insulation, too. You can take away some of it for your den, if you'd like, she suggested to Virue. Some soft wool, even in this raw form, would do wonders as bedding.

Last edited by Vicira Tears on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:33 pm

OOC: Poor lamb is getting violated. XD

358 words, you know how it is...

IC:

Virue smiled amicably at Izual when he showed interest in the wool as well. He interpreted his comment as enthusiastic humour, or at least wanted to; good-willed, yet foolishly naive.

He watched the two intently as they worked, removing wool in clumps with the shear. Vicira had improved already, or maybe it was the fact that the ewe had become immobilized. He watched as two pairs of hands, cooperated to perform the task. Virue was amazed at the effectiveness hands had presented to him, the way they could be used to hold and interact with foreign objects. 'I have hands,' he thought. 'I just don't know what they look like.'

He tilted his head to the side and watched the bits of white fluff drift off in the breeze. He had the impulse to attempt to recollect them, getting up and stepping closer, but then realized it would be in vain; what would he catch them with? Virue ended up setting himself back down. “So, what you're saying is that we take sheep hair, and make...clothes and blankets?” He was intrigued now, pondering over these things he had never been introduced to at home. “Why do we need the extra warmth? I mean, I'm already warm most of the time, are there other benefits?” He was truly curious, his voice inquisitive.

‘Insulation’. He said it in his head, analyzing it mentally. He imagined himself saying it aloud, then he did. “Insulation, does that mean the wool is warm?” He was blinking as he asked. He felt like he might be a nuisance, asking so many questions. But he must be entertaining them while they worked at least.

He shook his head. “No, it's okay, I'll let you guys do your thing with it and make more use out of it. I don't really need it, probably more of a want than a need for me anyway.” He thought of the ratty, old mat he used as a bed in his den. Maybe he would replace it with a better mat, but then again; maybe he didn't need that either, because he never needed it at home.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 am

(000) ooc text here.

Izual’s sole job was easy - hold down the sheep, don’t get excited when blood was spilled, and occasionally help Vicira move the sheep around when he could. It wasn’t all that hard and realized he could probably get used to this. He could help others with something other than killing off wolf loners or harassing women in the dead of night... He could have a purpose in Inferni instead of pissing off Vesper.

But that was too much optimistic thinking. Was he really going to switch from a killer to a shearer just in a snap?

”As long as the sheep behaves,” he responded, smiling at her sarcastic jab. In other words, both of them sucked enough that it depended on the sheep’s behavior. And flicking his eyes to Virue, Izual couldn’t imagine the man being of any use if a sheep had escaped either of their grasps.

”I will take some, if the offer extends to me,” Izual said, thinking of a plushy surface for his back when he laid on the old, crooked wooden floor. When sleeping in Lupus form, it mattered less. He was able to curl up in a ball and be self-sufficient; however, in Optime the fetal position was less... comfortable on a hard, wooden floor.

”Where did you come from anyway?” Izual asked, looking up at Virue. The question was meant for the Coyote that seemingly didn't know anything about Luperci customs. He wondered if he was raised feral or just ignorant. In the wrong context, the question might've sounded accusing, but it wasn't how Izual meant it to be. He also hadn’t bothered with Virue’s question - let Vicira handle those. She seemed to be the informative one today.

Izual Massacre
and watched death go by
Loners
Hybrid
Sammiie
Luperci
LET OUT THE BEAST

POSTED: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:56 pm

00+ Sorry for the wait, guys! Also Vici is so rude mwahaha

Vicira's whiskers twitched at Virue's question, but that was the only indication of her annoyance as she focused again on the sheep. She was fairly certain why she felt bothered; while the feral lifestyle of those not gifted with a shifter's blood had intrigued her when she was young, now it only reminded her of all things Vesper. Even though she agreed with his view--it was rare she donned more than a cloak on the coldest or rainiest days--she couldn't help but feel that flicker of contempt.

Horses need blankets between their saddles and skin or it rubs 'em raw, she explained. Many of our clan come from the desert, too; they need clothing to survive the cold nights. The sick and small, too. She thought of the puppies she hadn't borne then flinched back when she nicked the sheep; the cut was small, but her nostrils flared at the scent of blood. She pressed her fingers to the wound to keep it from bleeding while the ewe wriggled, and nodded. It means it keeps in warmth. And it is good for bedding down in in the caverns. Like down.

Izual took her up on the offer, though, and she nodded at him. The ewe's bleeding had stopped; only a raw cut remained. She sighed, reached out to push at Izual's arm; the muscle was hard under her palm. This one's done, I think, she said. Once the sheep got up, it would be quick to return to the flock.

She glanced Virue's way when Izual asked where he came from, and while she had an inkling, she kept her mouth shut.

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

Dead Topics