Won't you warm my bones within?

p. Vedetta | Frost Reaches

POSTED: Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 am

Set in a vague part of the forest at a vague time! :)
WORDS
300+
DATE
Present
FORM
Optime

”Find that old knife, Totem,” she ordered, walking alongside him in the Frost Reaches. The trees that encumbered them were thick, and each of their bases looked exactly the same. It would be difficult to find the knife with these conditions. If they couldn’t find this thing by scent, she wasn’t sure if they’d ever find it.

The knife was the only evidence she had found of her father in these old woods some months back. Why she hadn’t taken it then was beyond her, and why she had the urge to find it now over six months later was also a mystery. Finding that she was situated closer to "out there", as Oceane put it, it reminded Lithia of what was once lost. Her father. The structure of her family. It was all out there, somewhere. But then, of course, the knife could have been found, carried off, and otherwise, no longer there anymore, but she wanted to be sure. Absolutely sure. Sending the white beast to sniff while she nosed around in the foliage was her best plan.

A pit began to form in Lithia’s stomach even as the white beast pulled forward, disappearing into the trees before her chasing some kind of scent. She should have been following close behind Totem, but instead, she stopped and checked every tree base he passed, feeling around in the dirt for some kind of lump, some kind of buried object. She was about to be with a pack of Wolves that took knowledge to a whole different level. Maybe she would be able to find someone that could trace the evidence left on it back to where he was or had been. Could they do that?

Totem disappeared in the brush ahead, and Lithia knelt down by a tree and dug through the shallow dirt at its base, combatting a stubborn bush with her elbow and trying not to sneeze as one of its branches tickled her face.

Ched Cheddles | Sirius-sdz | Table by Sammiie

Last edited by Lithia Napier on Fri May 27, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Fri May 27, 2016 2:17 pm

• (WC) 369
  • (OOC) Figured it would be better for her to find him with the knife. :)
  • (Territory) ---
  • (Form) Optime
  • (NPCs) None

The sun was hot on his back, baking the leather of his thin jacket so that he had been forced to take it off only moments into his venture outside of Sapient. His hair, tied back, had only just come loose a few moments before when he'd passed through a grove in the trees, only to come upon a clearing that sheltered an old cabin like structure that had been worn down by the ages, its walls crumbling inwards, its roof already caved in and long forgotten. Normally, he would have passed right on by but the area was too convenient for him to simply stop. Part of the old deck structure was still intact, leaving a lean-to that sheltered from the sun, casting an awkward shade across the base of the gravel and stone front.

He quickly moved to settle there, stripping from his shoulder the large bag that he'd put most of his spoils into. From early morning to mid afternoon, he had spent most of his time checking the traps that he'd set throughout the hilly landscape. Unfortunately, none bore him any semblance of a meal, though a few had been sprung by witty animals that had taken the bait and gotten away before being caught.

By one such trap, he'd caught the glittering sight of a blade and from that moment, he'd spent a hefty portion of his time digging it free from the dirt that surrounded it, the slight rust that had accumulated at its sharpened edges and carefully, he'd gotten it freed long enough place it into his bag where he reached quietly for a water-skin that was buried near the bottom underneath a few necessities like dried meats and flint for fires.

He tugged it free, along with the blade, and settled against the porch itself, taking a hefty swallow of the contents before it was slipped through a lace at the side of his pants, his fingers circling around the blade's hilt so he could look at it in the shade. His other hand's fingers danced over the smoothed steel, breaking away the dirt that was crested to its shining surface before finally he rid it of most of its wear.

I'll never wear your broken crown
Sapient
DEAD

Interdum vitae mors

POSTED: Sat May 28, 2016 2:50 am

That works! Maybe he could ask more about it and she could somehow open up to him :o
WORDS
300+
DATE
Present
FORM
Optime

At first, she didn’t realize where Totem had gone. He had slithered past the trees ahead of her while she dug around fruitlessly in the dirt. There had been nothing there. There was no way the knife could have sank that deep into the earth... Letting go of the branch in a huff, it smacked her in the nose. She growled, rubbing it even though it didn’t really hurt. She could’ve sworn it was going to be that one. It looked like the exact tree, if she remembered correctly. She rose in another huff and followed the path she thought Totem went. But even then there was no trail of the great white Secui beast.

”Totem?” she called, but there was no answer whatsoever. What the hell… she mumbled, looking every which way as she followed a weak path through the trees.

Meanwhile, the white beast had wandered towards an old type of cabin, following the rusted scent of something. He had his nose glued to the ground most of the time as his claws dug into the dirt and propelled him forward. However, Totem skidded to a stop when he realized the path that he had been trailing ended in another Luperci’s hands. Throwing back his head, he let out a short whoop of a howl, and then allowed his orange eyes to rest of the man. For the moment, his body posture was neutral as he awaited Lithia’s command.

Luckily, the silver-tinged woman had not been far when she heard his call. She picked through the trees and came to a stop beside the white beast. She looked on at the man and the rusted dagger in his hands.

”Where did you get that?” she asked, pointing to the dagger.

All she saw was another obstacle she needed to overcome to figure out her father’s mystery.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:47 pm

• (WC) 289
  • (OOC) ---
  • (Territory) ---
  • (Form) Optime
  • (NPCs) None

The faintest brush of air sifted through the old house, touching against his dual-toned hair, the shade the house offered a very brief reprieve from the heat that scorched against his fur only a few moments before. Lavender eyes poised above the blade, sifting through the dirt to the bottom and into the hilt itself.

The blade on its own was probably worthless unless the rust and collected material on it was dispersed, the blade brought back from the brink of death. Time would tell how much it was truly worth, that and his father's opinion once he returned back to Sapient with it in tow.

He was always a cautious being, methodical but not very lenient when it came to being pushed around. He heard the howl before he saw the lumbering male which gave him enough warning to rise to his feet. When he saw the moving canine edging in his direction, the first instinct within him was to protect himself and his hands turned the blade over in his grip so that he could use it as a weapon if the need arose, even though the knife probably wasn't of much use with the mud caked over its blade and its handle slippery from all the time of being outside, left to the elements.

When the girl approached, his gaze slid from the white brute to her, especially with her question. "I found it," he managed with a nod of his head. "Back in the woods near one of my traps." He let the hand with the blade fall so that it was prone beside his waist, still usable if either attacked but not openly threatening.

"Why? What is it to you?"

Sapient
DEAD

Interdum vitae mors

POSTED: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:28 am

I know we originally said we'd keep the pack thing vague, but since she's been accepted and all already, it's not necessary anymore :)
WORDS
300+
DATE
Present
FORM
Optime

The man was quick to turn the blade over in his hands, in attempt to use it as a weapon against her if she told Totem to attack him. However, he lowered the item in question when they stopped just a few feet away from him. Totem eyes him and Lithia eyed the blade in his hand. So, he found it in the forest by one of the traps... She didn't remember seeing a trap, but maybe the trap hadn't been there a couple months back.

His next question annoyed her slightly. If he only knew...

”It’s mine,” Lithia answered boldly, holding out a hand to signal Totem to stay, while she took a few steps forward. ”I buried it in the forest a couple months ago. I was looking for it, but I guess you beat me to it. Can I have it back, please?” She didn't intend on arguing with him about it, and she also didn’t intend on hearing him tell her she couldn’t have it back. "It's a family heirloom, given to me by my father," she tried again, though the statement wasn't entirely true. The dagger wasn't given, though she believed it to have been her father's.

The white beast lowered his rump to the ground, but his orange eyes remained on the man in question, like a guard dog waiting for the tiniest, faintest command to rip his target to shreds. Yet, Totem was more intelligent than that. Even though he couldn’t speak, commands weren’t that simple.

Two sets of bright eyes held the man with the questionable dagger in their gaze. A pack mate, no doubt, but still an obstacle to get passed to get what she wanted. He was still something she needed to get passed in order to scrutinize the weapon for herself. And if he said no? It would just make the situation harder.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:51 am

• (WC) 345
  • (OOC) ---
  • (Territory) ---
  • (Form) Optime
  • (NPCs) None

Her scent was familiar, that of the pack despite the fact that he had never seen her before. He spent most of his days on the borders, patrolling or out in the fields hunting. When he was inside pack lands, he was either hanging out with Sapient's newest or at his shop, working on his leather builds. As a perfectionist, he did his best to make sure that his materials were never sub-par, especially if that meant losing a potential trade or commission.

The one he had spent his most recent time on had been armor for one of Sapient's Opus Faber. The girl before him was an unusual one and if he hadn't known better, he might have simply pocketed the blade and accepted whatever punishment they thought to send his way except the scent upon her told him that that would be a mistake. He disliked causing violence within the pack lands and making enemies of the other members was not his forte.

Even if it had been, he wouldn't have. He understood the pain of losing a family member, whether it was through death or simply them walking away. Their left over items were often distributed or clung to by close family members but he had never heard of someone voluntarily giving one up by burying it and then going to find it later on. He turned the blade over in his hand as the girl brazenly claimed that the blade was hers until he heard further proof of its meaning to her. At which point he flipped it over so that just the tip of the blade was settled between his fingers and the handle was extended toward her.

"If I were anyone else, I might have kept it. You shouldn't just bury things you want out in the woods."

Curious, he leaned closer, crossing his arms over his chest after he dusted his hands off on his pants. "Your scent tells me that you were in Sapient. Have you been there long? Why did you bury it?"

Sapient
DEAD

Interdum vitae mors

POSTED: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:01 am

ooc text here
WORDS
300+
DATE
Present
FORM
Optime

After a moment of thought, which seemed to take longer than it really was, the Auditore male flipped the knife over and offered it to Lithia. Cautiously, and watching his eyes, she stepped forward and took it from him; and holding the weight of the dagger in her hand felt as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. While she didn’t even know whether this was the knife, it felt better knowing she’d be able to examine it further without compromise. She'd be able to tell if it were her father's or if it were someone else's dagger discarded in the forest.

”Well, that’s not exactly what happened,” she began, surprised at herself for venturing into this and unsure whether she should even be telling him. ”My father disappeared last year, and while I was searching for him, I found this dagger at the edge of the woods here... which told me, my sister, and my mother that he had crossed the border, left the country, and left us without a word.” Anyone else would have been saddened by the story, but Lithia’s face was neutral; her tone was neutral. If he were to provide condolences, she would have stopped him with a wave of her hand and told him that she didn't want those and that her father didn't deserve them.

”I buried the knife before I joined the pack. If you haven’t seen me around, you can tell I’m fairly new. I’ve never been new to a pack in my whole life.”

Being new and being born into a pack were two very different things. She would always have the Anathema way branded into her brain. Transitioning to Sapient would take time and dedication, but she was sure that she and her sister, Tzila, were determined enough to find themselves.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:42 am

• (WC) 345
  • (OOC) ---
  • (Territory) ---
  • (Form) Optime
  • (NPCs) None

He sometimes found it harder to talk to women than men, perhaps as a genetic thing, though he had no problem flirting with them, even taking them up on their offers of companionship. The woman before him was an obvious pack member, albeit a new Sapien at that. He knew harmless flirting wouldn't change anything out of the ordinary. After all, he flirted with Akantha and even Austri on more than one occasion. The glances he got when he passed by the shyer girl were too sweet to put to words but it was the unsettling movements of someone who knew what was happening that drove him to react.

The prospect of any natural, real relationship scared him sightless and the girl Napier girl was more than a little attractive. She spoke to him as if she knew him, as if she could trust him but he knew that it was unwise to trust anyone so soon after meeting them. When she spoke of the loss of her father, the reason for burying the blade, he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned forward as if interested in every little bit she had to say.

Purple eyes, well trained to spot the slight of hand, passed over her and her companion once more before he offered a simple nod in understanding, letting go of the notion that she had to tell him anything, even if he had found the blade, even if he had given it back to her.

"A new pack is hard to gather yourself in. Even I am just starting to find my place within its borders," he admitted, moving away from the foundation of the old cabin. He uncrossed his arms, tugging his jacket back over his arms, folding the leather cuffs over his wrists. "I have been here for a while. I know the history, I know the people and I know where all the best places are since I am one of the best hunters around," he stated without a lick of humility.

"If you would do me the honor, I would be most delighted in helping you get better acquainted with everything."

Sapient
DEAD

Interdum vitae mors

POSTED: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:05 am

Lithia can't help but keep her walls up :o
WORDS
300+
DATE
Present
FORM
Optime

Purple eyes. They reminded her of her own, though darker in shade and astonishing. They were dark enough to hide the emotion in his eyes if one wasn’t standing right next to him. His eyebrows and facial expressions told her enough, but she couldn’t read his dark eyes. And maybe that troubled her a little because she enjoyed that part of the game. She was good at reading intentions, but with the shadow cast over his deep color, she couldn’t tell what his intentions were.

He seemed kind enough, Lithia thought. He even offered to show her around, which was much more than she expected. She had met a few characters so far in Sapient, and they had all been newbies like herself. However, this man, this stranger, Vedetta, seemed cool and collected. He claimed to know the lands because he was skilled, and that etched a smile onto Lithia’s lips. She couldn’t help it. Hearing that a man was talented told her that she could learn something from him. And if he were to take her under his wing, she’d most definitely take something away from the experience.

”That would be nice,” Lithia smiled. ”I didn’t think the culture would be that hard to adapt to, but I guess finding my place in a different place is more difficult than I thought.” For once, she had let her guard down for the sake of a handsome man and his offer. Of course, she didn’t plan on spilling all of her secrets, but letting him in on her inner workings was a start. A start that would begin at the edge of the pool and continue no further into the shallow waters.

”You can go back home, Totem,” she said, casting her bright gaze down at the Secui. ”I think I will stay and have a chat with this gentleman for a while.”

And with that, the Secui turned and trotted back in the woods, heading toward Sapient. With Totem gone, Lithia focused her gaze on the Sapient man.

”By the way, I’m Lithia Napier.”

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:37 pm

• (WC) 345
  • (OOC) ---
  • (Territory) ---
  • (Form) Optime
  • (NPCs) None

The gentle breeze that strolled through the clearing was worthy enough a companion when it was so incredibly hot out. Wearing his jacket possibly seemed idiotic though he wasn't very used to going around without it. Even with it being black-stained, it drew in very little sunlight on a regular basis and what did come through wasn't enough to make a difference. He watched her release her companion from her grip upon him indifferently, a grip that was more assertive than it was touch.

The interaction was enough for him to gather some inkling of the situation but to make assumptions so soon after meeting someone was not at all like him. His suspicious nature allowed him to focus on that fact, to hold it for later processing the further he interacted with the dual colored girl who held eyes that almost matched his own. He uncrossed his arms, inching closer now that the threat of being thwarted by the beast was now vaguely in the back drop of his mind. "Vedetta," he answered, his gaze settling on that smile of hers.

"Vedetta Auditore. Leather worker and Scio Summus," he finished. "I'm not from here originally so I can understand the pain behind awaiting the comfort of having this place as a home. Shall we? It can be a rigorous walk." He looked around them, letting his arms shrug, his hands outspread as if to indicate the area around the both of them, even though this wasn't a part of the pack. "Tell me about you, Lithia. What do you like to do? What are some of your skills?"

He questioned her like he would question anyone else, though his imperial gaze kept constant contact with her own as he began walking in a direction that might have seemed odd had one not known the land around them. In the direction, more or less, that he had come from toward his usual hunting grounds.

Sapient
DEAD

Interdum vitae mors

Dead Topics